JBS Employee Reviews

JBS was a strong company but is setting its self up for failure
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Work at JBS is usually pretty routine,train your production workers right and the days fly by.Learned alot about beef and pork fabrication and yields.In the start of my career Management was very STRONG and was set out to be the best.In my last 2 months saw Management become weak.No HR support for Supervisors.About 80 percent of the production workers were great to work with and train,they made my job worth it when times werent soo routine.The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different personalities while having NO HR support.The best job was knowing Yields ,production numbers and safety were all achieved at the end of each shift
Pros
Paid salary
Cons
Too many hours at work, no family time
Great workplace, awesome employees
Truck Loader (Former Employee) –  Beardstown, ILJuly 19, 2016
I enjoyed working here, good benefits and great people to work with.Started with cleaning your area, then you would grab your pick list, wait for boxes to be put on the line, once your box catchers stack the boxes on a pallet I would scan the product, wrap the pallet and load the pallet onto a trailer. I learned that work is fun you just have to enjoy yourself and others in your company. Management was ok, my supervisor was outstanding. My co-workers were pretty chill. Hardest part of the job was when something went wrong and you had to figure it out quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was clocking out after a long day.
Pros
holiday leave and pay, free holiday lunches
Cons
worked 13 days on 1 day off
Very negative work enviroment
utility (Current Employee) –  ottumwa iowaJuly 14, 2016
Since JBS took over Cargill in Ottumwa, things have continually gotten worse. This company ONLY cares about the bottoms dollar. They have came in and removed departments completely displacing employees and causing layoffs. They have done away with over 250 jobs in less than a year. They want to run hard and fast with less people because it's all about the $$. You never have all the equipment needed.
If you are a YES man then this place will be fine for you. They say they offer competitive rates but have only offered a $0.10 raise in the beginning stage of contract negotiations at our sister plant in Beardstown. No gratitude for a job well done. Upper management is very unprofessional. There are a few good ones but that doesn't outweigh the bad. Started 10 hour rotating shifts but no longer rotate for cut or boning departments. 2nd shift always works the 10 hour weeks.
Morale of employees is down.
Pros
union
Cons
attitude of management towards employees
More cons than pros
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beardstown, ILJuly 22, 2016
JBS demands perfection and when they do not get it they make you feel incompetent to the point of insanity. They have a toxic environment that upper management creates with a negative attitude towards everything work related. They see you as an expendable resource and don't view you as a human that has a personal life.
Finger pointing is the norm and firing people comes as easy as breathing to them. One job in the plant has a zero fail, if you miss one piece count you get fired. What other job on this planet demands that kind of perfection, a doctor? Not even. They provide no pension only 401k. The pay is decent for the area and it provides many jobs to locals and immigrant workers from 30 plus countries. It sustains the local economy with one of the few jobs above minimum wage. The most enjoyable part of the day is going home. My only goal is to someday walk out of that plant before I die of old age.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job security, no pension, few advancement opportunities, negativity.
Shipping and Recieving
Warehouse Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2016
Worked at a meat warehouse we would receive at least 7 trucks a day, and I worked in the freezer, it was 5 degrees in there, so you have to constantly move to stay warm and if it was dead I'd clean, rotate products, combine pallets, and make room for inventory coming in that week. I loved it so much, I was very prideful of how clean the freezer stayed everyday before I left. I did daily inventory along with once a month full warehouse Saturday inventory, which was not a big deal cause I made it simple on everyone by always being organized.
Pros
Small crew, sense of brotherhood
Cons
Often overstocked the warehouse, When slow we would not hit our 40 hrs which made it hard for family to adjust with pay fluxation.
Productive, fun and educational place of practice.
Meat Packer (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAJuly 19, 2016
Learned the different types of cuts and how to properly package them.
some of the workers were hard to get along with, I honestly felt it was because I am white and they were Hispanic.. but I do know Spanish, I was hearing some bad things being said about me and I told my boss and he took care of it.. but I feel as though it shouldn't have happened in the first place
moist of the co-workers were extremely nice and helpful.
the hardest park of the job would probably be the step-by-step sanitization before getting into the warehouse.
To much office politics
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COSeptember 30, 2015
Poor management, no chance for advancement, not open to suggestions for improving processes, office politics, slap in the face raises. Poor training, for all these reasons there is a high turn over.
Pros
Nice lake to walk on breaks, event perks
Cons
Office politics, no chance for advancement
Bullying was rife, formen lazy and management inept
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLDJuly 20, 2016
This is a company that ignores safety violations and promotes those that agree with the boss.
Jobs are given to friends of the HR personnel who have no experience.
Money was OK but stress levels are high due to unsafe practices. Lazy workers who are popular with management seem to get away with doing as little as possible.
Long standing workers have a chip on their shoulders and they seem to shirk hard work and leave things for the next person to clean up.
Pros
Buying cheaper meat
Cons
The older workforce from AMH days
Very progressive company that values their employees.
Retail Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 17, 2016
JBS has been a great company to work for. They are very progressive and take great pride in their people and truly treat them as an assett.
Pros
Great Pay and benefits.
Amazing Company
Beef Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COOctober 22, 2015
Very fast paced environment. Management could work harder to give recognition for achievements, and less focus on mistakes, however, this is a very great company to grow with. Co-workers are great, and the culture is wonderful. I am just seeking to continue to grow.
Hard place to work for, the company morale is terrible.
Quality Assurance utility technician (Current Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAFebruary 13, 2016
Try to get through everyday at a company where upper management can't make a decision on how to deal with product or issues. A company that has no regard for employees well being. Communication is the worst I've ever dealt with in any company I've worked for. If people and corners can be cut to make an extra dollar then they will take it. The only thing enjoyable is the paycheck.
Great company to work for with a great owner.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLJanuary 23, 2016
This company is a privately owned installation company and I only worked there for a short period of time.During the time I worked there I really enjoyed it.The atmosphere and freedom was great.I was a supervisor who ran a team of seven installation associates.I helped when needed in installing difficult projects and also performed daily audits etc.I also built route sheets and did office things for the owner of the company.
Pros
Free gas, food, breaks were good and pay was good aswell.
Cons
no benefits.
we traveled alot
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Gatesville, TXJanuary 9, 2016
fast paced, long hours, installing big top buildings.
my boss was great to work for.
I became friends with most of the guys I worked with.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
No health care no benifits
interesting and relaxed work location
Meat Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Cobram VICAugust 11, 2016
My job at JBS was vry interesting, I had good team mates.. We enjoyed our BBQ parties. We normally start at 0530hrs and finish at 1330hrs. We have two breaks in between and cafeteria was very good. We can buy tea/ lunch items in a cheaper rate.
management was very supportive, they are always happy to hear our personal sides to approve leave.
Pros
close to my home, special occasion gift vouchers
You will leave with Carpel Tunnel and arthritis...
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Plainwell, MichiganAugust 15, 2015
Fab, is cold. You start at 6am. And your breaks are suppose to be 15 mins, but with taking off gear and such normally leads to only about a 7-9 min break if your lucky.
Basically you become good with a knife really quickly. Also figured I would add, the management is TERRIBLE. Went through 4 supervisors on 1 line in 6 months.
The hardest part of the job is getting use to not being able to make a fist, hold onto a inch/inch and a half wide pipe and thats the first you can make.

The only enjoyable part is they do work with you, because it is a union. So its hard to get fired. But between working 55 hours a week and the horrible breaks you almost want to quit...
Pros
Union
Cons
short breaks, expensive health care and food.
No upper management stability
Employee (Current Employee) –  Souderton, PAJune 9, 2016
Upper management needs training - they won't write anyone up for violations but will discipline for attendance?!?!

High management turn-over and lack of knowledge / experience - they promote the best of the worse.

No advancement for women with credible training/experience, favoritism is abundant.

Truly is the prisoners running the prison atmosphere.
Pros
no micro-management
Cons
no discipline, favoritism, discriminatory behaviors
Company is a joke!!!!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYMay 8, 2016
NO communication between ANYONE!!! Those who work will do ALL of it because if you don't want too, then you don't have too and nothing is done. Supervisors run around and don't have a clue. Upper management DOESN'T have a clue what goes on in that plant. Money was okay. They play their favorites. Co-workers were great!!! Hardest part of the job....getting up and going, knowing what the day was going to be like. A horrible place to work compared too what it use to be!!!!
Pros
Seniority, co-workers
Cons
insurance, to many want-to-be's
a typical day at work
Refrigeration Technician (Former Employee) –  Elberton, GANovember 30, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
good restuarant
Cook (Former Employee) –  Price, UTAugust 3, 2016
I cooked and washed dishes for JB's. Fast pashed cooking, very respectful managers to help with getting used to the menu. Daily soup specials and discounts for elderly or children. I worked there until I moved to another city.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
work after hours most the time
very cold workplace
Meat Line Runner (Former Employee) –  Lenoir, NCJune 2, 2016
This is the least favorite of my jobs. I stayed sick constantly and my coworkers were not the slightest friendly. It honestly seemed more like a prison rather than work place. The enjoyable part was that the pay was very good. The hardest part was definitely the work conditions.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
working in 20degree weather