JBS Employee Reviews

More cons than pros
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beardstown, ILJuly 22, 2016
JBS demands perfection and when they do not get it they make you feel incompetent to the point of insanity. They have a toxic environment that upper management creates with a negative attitude towards everything work related. They see you as an expendable resource and don't view you as a human that has a personal life.
Finger pointing is the norm and firing people comes as easy as breathing to them. One job in the plant has a zero fail, if you miss one piece count you get fired. What other job on this planet demands that kind of perfection, a doctor? Not even. They provide no pension only 401k. The pay is decent for the area and it provides many jobs to locals and immigrant workers from 30 plus countries. It sustains the local economy with one of the few jobs above minimum wage. The most enjoyable part of the day is going home. My only goal is to someday walk out of that plant before I die of old age.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job security, no pension, few advancement opportunities, negativity.
Bullying was rife, formen lazy and management inept
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLDJuly 20, 2016
This is a company that ignores safety violations and promotes those that agree with the boss.
Jobs are given to friends of the HR personnel who have no experience.
Money was OK but stress levels are high due to unsafe practices. Lazy workers who are popular with management seem to get away with doing as little as possible.
Long standing workers have a chip on their shoulders and they seem to shirk hard work and leave things for the next person to clean up.
Pros
Buying cheaper meat
Cons
The older workforce from AMH days
Productive, fun and educational place of practice.
Meat Packer (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAJuly 19, 2016
Learned the different types of cuts and how to properly package them.
some of the workers were hard to get along with, I honestly felt it was because I am white and they were Hispanic.. but I do know Spanish, I was hearing some bad things being said about me and I told my boss and he took care of it.. but I feel as though it shouldn't have happened in the first place
moist of the co-workers were extremely nice and helpful.
the hardest park of the job would probably be the step-by-step sanitization before getting into the warehouse.
Great product
International Sales Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJuly 17, 2016
Great people to work with and I have a great manager. Days are very flexible and bosses are very understanding. They have finally started promoting more from within than going external which is nice
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Managament
Very negative work enviroment
utility (Current Employee) –  ottumwa iowaJuly 14, 2016
Since JBS took over Cargill in Ottumwa, things have continually gotten worse. This company ONLY cares about the bottoms dollar. They have came in and removed departments completely displacing employees and causing layoffs. They have done away with over 250 jobs in less than a year. They want to run hard and fast with less people because it's all about the $$. You never have all the equipment needed.
If you are a YES man then this place will be fine for you. They say they offer competitive rates but have only offered a $0.10 raise in the beginning stage of contract negotiations at our sister plant in Beardstown. No gratitude for a job well done. Upper management is very unprofessional. There are a few good ones but that doesn't outweigh the bad. Started 10 hour rotating shifts but no longer rotate for cut or boning departments. 2nd shift always works the 10 hour weeks.
Morale of employees is down.
Pros
union
Cons
attitude of management towards employees
Safety Manger (Current Employee) –  Plainwell, MIJune 12, 2016
Overall good place to work. Good work life balance and job security. Advancement depends on the position you are currently in but is possible. Work culture is decent and for the most part people work as a team.
No upper management stability
Employee (Current Employee) –  Souderton, PAJune 9, 2016
Upper management needs training - they won't write anyone up for violations but will discipline for attendance?!?!

High management turn-over and lack of knowledge / experience - they promote the best of the worse.

No advancement for women with credible training/experience, favoritism is abundant.

Truly is the prisoners running the prison atmosphere.
Pros
no micro-management
Cons
no discipline, favoritism, discriminatory behaviors
Friendly work enviroment
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 7, 2016
A great place to work at, fun atmosphere. People there are very easy going and makes everyone feel welcome. good place for advancement. Management could use some improvement, other than that is a good place to be.
Overall
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAJune 3, 2016
All information is passed down after a meeting at 8:00 a.m.
Information is passed from management to the individuals in production. There are three shifts that function different rolls of production.
Pros
time
Cons
training
very cold workplace
Meat Line Runner (Former Employee) –  Lenoir, NCJune 2, 2016
This is the least favorite of my jobs. I stayed sick constantly and my coworkers were not the slightest friendly. It honestly seemed more like a prison rather than work place. The enjoyable part was that the pay was very good. The hardest part was definitely the work conditions.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
working in 20degree weather
Productive ansd enjoyable place to work
Slicer (Former Employee) –  Rockhampton QLDMay 23, 2016
I liked working here with plenty to do to keep me interested and fit. I learned teamwork, and production line standards, the hardest part of the job was the early morning starts.
Pros
Lunch room book up
Shipping and Recieving
Warehouse Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2016
Worked at a meat warehouse we would receive at least 7 trucks a day, and I worked in the freezer, it was 5 degrees in there, so you have to constantly move to stay warm and if it was dead I'd clean, rotate products, combine pallets, and make room for inventory coming in that week. I loved it so much, I was very prideful of how clean the freezer stayed everyday before I left. I did daily inventory along with once a month full warehouse Saturday inventory, which was not a big deal cause I made it simple on everyone by always being organized.
Pros
Small crew, sense of brotherhood
Cons
Often overstocked the warehouse, When slow we would not hit our 40 hrs which made it hard for family to adjust with pay fluxation.
Company is a joke!!!!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYMay 8, 2016
NO communication between ANYONE!!! Those who work will do ALL of it because if you don't want too, then you don't have too and nothing is done. Supervisors run around and don't have a clue. Upper management DOESN'T have a clue what goes on in that plant. Money was okay. They play their favorites. Co-workers were great!!! Hardest part of the job....getting up and going, knowing what the day was going to be like. A horrible place to work compared too what it use to be!!!!
Pros
Seniority, co-workers
Cons
insurance, to many want-to-be's
Very productive and wonderful people!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COApril 29, 2016
Everyone were such awesome people to work around and very friendly! Definitely got to meet some wonderful people while working there.
JBS dont go there
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Plainwell, MIApril 26, 2016
They only care about the production. Low pay. Dangerous place to work bad supervisors bad food dangerous co workers drugs alcohol
Cons
poor management
Good place to start
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAMarch 22, 2016
I have only worked for JBS since November of 2015. So far a lot of changes are still in play. For the most part things have not changed as far as the actual work that I do. Still too early to tell the true differences between the two companies.November 2015 JBS officially bought Cargill Meat Solutions Pork plant in Ottumwa, Iowa.
Pros
Upgrade in equipment
Cons
no Union specific to the Maintenance Department
Jbs
Employee (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLDMarch 3, 2016
Been working here for eighht years and will continue to do so until i require further work in the future. I enjoy working here
product
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Worthington, MNMarch 2, 2016
Nice company/w good healthcare, brake time mandatory, vacation the first 6 moths if working at cold floor, pay check bonus,every 6 moths for the kill floor and packing.
Pros
bonus
Cons
healthcare
Long shifts
BRISKET CUTTER (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEFebruary 17, 2016
Had long shifts but was great paying job want to find something as a learning type of job lots of great benifits an great enviorment
Hard place to work for, the company morale is terrible.
Quality Assurance utility technician (Current Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAFebruary 13, 2016
Try to get through everyday at a company where upper management can't make a decision on how to deal with product or issues. A company that has no regard for employees well being. Communication is the worst I've ever dealt with in any company I've worked for. If people and corners can be cut to make an extra dollar then they will take it. The only thing enjoyable is the paycheck.