Jacobs Employee Reviews

DC Staff be Aware
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2013
There is too much work at this office. You can work 70 hour weeks and not be caught up.
Do not trust management. HR leaks information. The manager is a bully.
Co-Workers are great, for the most part, there are some abusive people, and nothing seems to be done about them so it continues. Nepotism does exist for sure. Women should watch out for sexual harassment, and then to be labelled a trouble maker and black listed.
Run professionally
Payroll Administrator/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2013
Travel in by coach to CNRL.
Stretching, payroll, ac/ap and travel logistics.
Learned new things everyday.
Management available anytime.
Hardest part was traveling back and forth from Wood buffalo.
So many things to learn and the best is that because I love to be challenged always.
Pros
Continually learning new areas to keep me challanged
Cons
Traveling back and forth from Fort Mac to CNRL
Engineering design company
Jr. Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2012
Since this is an engineering design company, the work is technically intensive. This provides for opportunities to learn and I have found senior colleagues to be very helpful in explaining and teaching concepts. Co-workers are generally great and the company fosters a respectful work environments. Wages are generally competitive.
Great spot to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 April 2015
Great work life balance, supportive and accommodating. Something must be right if they're the latest Maintenance Contractor in the world...
great team envirorment
General foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 March 2015
great team environment. it was great to be involved in this team. the safety culture was amazing. the electrical department was built to preform. all who were involved had a common goals of safety quality and finally production.
Interesting - would of been better if an employee and not contractor.
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2013
Busy from morning till night - typical EPC company but with usual bck-stabbing by jealous associates that know of only one way to achieve their goals. Did not understand their management style.
Pros
found good associates
Cons
wondered if work was appreciated, not alot of feedback.
Management skill was great.
Senior / Principal Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB24 March 2015
As one of largest design engineering firm in the world, I learned the skill of project management. Jacobs gave a great chance for me to perform my best.
an overview and planning of a days work
Forman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 March 2015
helping assist other trades moving in moving and placing material for their workday ,good radio communications with co-workers and management makes for a safe productive work day.
And everyone goes home safe at the end of the day
Productive job driven enviroment
QC Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, Alta. Canada28 February 2012
Good paying job. Productive job driven enviroment. Shutdown specialists. Lots of overtime and adhered to contractual agreements. Fully compensated for time and expenses. Overall good company to do business with.
Pros
all expenses paid, executive camp for duration of contract.
Intermediate Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2015
Over the years my perspective on this has changed as my job changed within the organization. All in all a good place to work, people are treated fair if they work, if they are lazy... well... they aren't.

I found the overall business outlook was shortsighted from time to time, but in the end there was reasoning behind many of the decisions that seem this way at the onset.

There were a number of good things that came out of this, along side a host of knowledge, and these include things from earned days off to project lunches and team building events.
SERP Project
Project Scheduler and Cost Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 January 2015
it was some of the best times of my career. I worked with some good people there. We built a good team
This as well as the following reviews will be similar as I worked in different capacities at the same site.
Pros
uncertainy of the business
Cons
good team building
Well organized company that offered opportunities for advancement
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2014
Jacobs offered training where requested and where needed. The work they offered was challenging and I was compensated fairly while employed here. I parted ways with Jacobs on good terms to explore other opportunites. I would except future opportunities with this company and would recommend Jacobs to anyone who asked.
Pros
Challenging opportunities
Cons
None to speak of
New Construction for sulfer emmission control Syncrude Rigging Fitting Bolt-ups
Syncrude Steam Fitter (Former Employee) –  Syncrude Refinery Alberta9 November 2013
Good Management and communication, Excellant safty program, All equip. good condition and available Great leadership and enjoyable co-workers
Pros
Being able to work and learn feel safe in a mammouth construction site
Cons
Work ended
Nice People
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2014
* Happy people to work with
* Little opportunity to advanced forward with personal career
* Lack of training/development chances
Pros
People
Loved Working With All Projects
Inter Health, Safety & Environment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2014
Loved my job. Interacted with a lot of people through projects and my job scope.

Do as I say not as I do attitude by leads, mid level managers.
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Not much Leading by example from mid level to upper management
Working at Belle Plaine mine site was great because I got to do lots of different things there
reinforcing ironworker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 November 2012
Started with a prejob safety talk and prejob safety clearance form and work order .went you my area to fab up rebar or tie up rebar.I learned about the mining industtry and how things were made out of potash.I worked closely with different groups mainly carpenters but other trades too.The hardest part of job is I was a one man crew and sometimes was rushed to get done.It was a good place to work and I got to do all sides of the rebar industry from estimating to fabbing to placing and tieing it and was good at that
Pros
was good place work
Cons
we didn`t get travel time or gas allowance for travelling to site each day
not bad
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2015
i was called based on the recommendation of a friend for an interview. Was interviewed seperatelly by two. The first one asked, to my opinion, too many private question and the second one was very professional and confident. I did not like that Jacobs is not taking responsibility for their people in bad time with an attitude " we are not the shelter". I believe for a good company and stable society , it it important to keep good people coz they supported the company in good times, but in bad times, they are not good enough.
Very Challenging Position
Information Management Level 5 (Principal) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Canada15 August 2014
­ Identifying, analyzing and setting up project requirements, systems and project files;
­ Preparing project specific work instructions and PEP tool instructions;
­ Participating in IAP processes to plan work and allocate resources;
­ Coordinating with the Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Project Management;
­ Supervising employees on the project and distributing workloads;
­ Identifying training needs and providing on the job training, coaching and counseling;
­ Recognizing and addressing performance issues and documenting improvement processes;
­ Forecasting man hour requirements and defining staffing roles, responsibilities and plans;
­ Participating in performance evaluations and reporting assessments to upper management;
­ Providing recommendations on methods and techniques to improve quality, productivity and deadlines
- Perform Document Control activities for the Project Team including documentation receipt, registration, distribution and transmittal back to Owner
- Ensure assigned Contractor and Supplier documentation deliverables meet contract requirements and perform quality checks for compliance.
- Quality checks shall include, correct document number, revision, title, etc. as per Document Control governing specifications.
- Check to ensure the Master Document Register, Supplier Master Document Register and Document Distribution Matrix requirements are being implemented.
- Communicate effectively with appropriate staff on the status of documentation.
- Ensure timely and efficient turnaround of comment response sheets to Contractors.
- Responsible
  more... for assigning/verifying technical document numbers for the Project as per Project specifications.
- Generates reports, including the formatting and packaging of results.
- Complies with the Information Management Plan and associated information management procedures.
- Responsible for organizing, filing and archiving of Project technical documentation; hard copy files and electronic file in Project Electronic Document Management System (EDMS).
- Monitor Administrative staff in handling non-technical documentation and filing.
Pros
Every day there is a different challenge
Cons
Long Hours, Schedule Driven
An OK place to work
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2014
- Good pay
- Lots of overtime
- Good project to work on
- Avg. management
learn a lot
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Norman Wells, NT12 March 2014
like to work long hours never sikc good worker safety topic evrey day help new worker thim worker good support from manegement down time hardest part of job
Pros
good formation
Cons
10 hours a day