Jacobs Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Teamwork
Intermediate Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJune 19, 2014
• Meet daily payment remittance deadlines by noon each day
• Lead role in preparation of funding requests/cash calls to client
• Review accounts payable invoices for contract compliance
• Update and maintain AP logs
• Coding of accounts payable
• Close out of purchase orders
• Process monthly journal entries
• Ensure accounting records are accurate
• Prepare unbilled reconciliation on a monthly basis
• Prepare bank account reconciliation’s and other cash call accounts
• Liaise with project management, project controls and accounting management to review results on a monthly basis
• Audit support
Effective and fun environment
Timesheet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2012
We would all come into the office by 7:30 am. We would all share all the job duties or take turn doing each duty. Everyone would help everyone out in completing the tasks. Everyone was very helpful and motivated at all times to complete the job asap. The hardest part of the job was completing the duties on hand by the deadline if the company system experianced technical difficulties. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could take breaks at anytime we wished. There was no set timings for breaks. The management kept everyone on track and motivated. They also gave everyone a progress report while we were doing the job
Pros
overtime avaliable, no set timings for breaks, cheerful co-workers
Cons
technical difficulties
Lots of learning
Int. Project Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  calgaryApril 25, 2015
I worked almost three years at this company and my time there was filled with joy and intense learning. I learned most aspects of engineering business as well as about my department specific. I would highly recommend people working with companies like Jacobs.
SERP Project
Project Scheduler and Cost Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 26, 2015
it was some of the best times of my career. I worked with some good people there. We built a good team
This as well as the following reviews will be similar as I worked in different capacities at the same site.
Pros
uncertainy of the business
Cons
good team building
not bad
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2015
i was called based on the recommendation of a friend for an interview. Was interviewed seperatelly by two. The first one asked, to my opinion, too many private question and the second one was very professional and confident. I did not like that Jacobs is not taking responsibility for their people in bad time with an attitude " we are not the shelter". I believe for a good company and stable society , it it important to keep good people coz they supported the company in good times, but in bad times, they are not good enough.
Wonderful place to work!!
Materials Requisitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 9, 2012
I have never enjoyed a work environment as I do at Jacobs. It is a very fun and casual setting, however the balance is perfect so it does not take away from productivity. The management team is amazing, and definitely the friendliest group I have ever met, with every single one keeping an open-door policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with, I have met so many new friends here!
Pros
hard work does not go unnoticed
Cons
client expectations can be very demanding
Overall a good company to work for
Sr. Site Administrator/Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 26, 2014
Enjoyed the structure and processes that were in place within the company. Has a great benefit package. Worked with some excellent people - talented, diligent in their work ethics. Most difficult part of the job was changing management, changing work ethics and standards. Most enjoyable part of job is that I love doing the kind of work I do.
Pros
great benefit program
Cons
changes in management during project duration; lack of consistency of philosophy
Good Workplace & Fun Coworkers
Sr. Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 13, 2015
Calgary office is a good environment to work in but local economy has caused a slowdown at the Calgary office. This resulted in massive reduction of staff.
Pros
Coworkers are Diverse
Cons
Work longevity
JACOBS CANADA INC.
Lead Electrical and Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2012
Great company to work on contract with. Good wages and benefits.
Good management and good payments on time.
Pros
great company and good wages
Think twice work for Jacobs Calgary
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 21, 2013
Majority of the middle management team are Indians. A lot of Indian work permit holders too. If you happen to be Caucasian, congratulations, you are the visual minority here.

Management is BS. At company/department scale meetings, they always tell you how great the company is doing while they constantly "vacation off" people (On the other hand, they try best to keep Indians on work permit to get Immigration status).

The company has no standard way of performing technical designs since their engineers are from many different backgrounds. This is both good and bad. If you have a great team lead, it's good! If you happen to end up with a stupid lead, cry me a river! I would not recommend this company for anyone start out their career because chances are you are not going to learn the proper way.

Like any other EPCM companies, Jacobs is subjected to the Oil&Gas cycle. It's a good place to work for when the Canadian oil economy is doing good provide you don't under-perform too bad.

Think twice when the Canadian oil economy is not doing good. Then you will have to worry about company not getting new projects coming to work everyday. Kiss goodbye your lunch mates, friends. It's even more painful when you are forced to "take vacation". And eventually, maybe get layed off. ( They will put your name under the resignation list when they show people in the next meeting)

Depends on your department and the team you are working for. There are good and bad people you have to deal with. Best of luck!
Pros
good pay
Cons
better than nothing benifit, worry about job security constantly
Tasks and Projects
Server Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2015
Server monitoring of all main servers in Canada - check for issues
Tackle the tickets in the service queue for Server Operations
Create project folder security based on location and disciplines
Build servers in VMware for 2008 for 2003 migration
Check data centre for server, UPS, and network alerts
Always busy
Pros
good enviroment
An excellent place to work at
Technical Design Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 24, 2015
Jacobs is a very professional company and a place where one has the liberty to express oneself and gives freedom to work. One learns a lot from others and has a perfect atmosphere to work as a team member.
DC Staff be Aware
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2013
There is too much work at this office. You can work 70 hour weeks and not be caught up.
Do not trust management. HR leaks information. The manager is a bully.
Co-Workers are great, for the most part, there are some abusive people, and nothing seems to be done about them so it continues. Nepotism does exist for sure. Women should watch out for sexual harassment, and then to be labelled a trouble maker and black listed.
Run professionally
Payroll Administrator/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2013
Travel in by coach to CNRL.
Stretching, payroll, ac/ap and travel logistics.
Learned new things everyday.
Management available anytime.
Hardest part was traveling back and forth from Wood buffalo.
So many things to learn and the best is that because I love to be challenged always.
Pros
continually learning new areas to keep me challanged
Cons
traveling back and forth from fort mac to cnrl
Engineering design company
Jr. Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2012
Since this is an engineering design company, the work is technically intensive. This provides for opportunities to learn and I have found senior colleagues to be very helpful in explaining and teaching concepts. Co-workers are generally great and the company fosters a respectful work environments. Wages are generally competitive.
had bad experience
Labour Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABFebruary 5, 2015
Was sexually harassed in an isolated area on an isolated job. I notified my foreman asap. nothing happened, so I complained. Got transferred, and then got laid off. So I am not happy with this company. Cause working for them and getting sexually harassed can make you loose your job. makes no sense right. horrible experience.
Interesting - would of been better if an employee and not contractor.
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2013
Busy from morning till night - typical EPC company but with usual bck-stabbing by jealous associates that know of only one way to achieve their goals. Did not understand their management style.
Pros
found good associates
Cons
wondered if work was appreciated, not alot of feedback.
An OK place to work
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 23, 2014
- Good pay
- Lots of overtime
- Good project to work on
- Avg. management
Nice People
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2014
* Happy people to work with
* Little opportunity to advanced forward with personal career
* Lack of training/development chances
Pros
people
Well organized company that offered opportunities for advancement
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 21, 2014
Jacobs offered training where requested and where needed. The work they offered was challenging and I was compensated fairly while employed here. I parted ways with Jacobs on good terms to explore other opportunites. I would except future opportunities with this company and would recommend Jacobs to anyone who asked.
Pros
challenging opportunities
Cons
none to speak of