Jacobs Employee Reviews

Good people to work with
Lead Civil/Structural/Architectural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2015
People here are very friendly and helpful. Lots to learn from people who are more than willing to share their experiences.
Pros
Good working atmosphere, very high attention to safety
Cons
Hit by low oil prices since it works almost exclusively for oil industry.
very nice working environment
Senior Piping Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2015
Woking with different people is always a challenge at first , since you have to let them know you and for you to know them. Working attitude is very professional, working space was amazing the open concept with out those tall cubicles i loved it.

The friends that i made along the way, i'm gonna miss them.
Pros
location downtown is awesome
Cons
long commute
Think first, before applying to this company
timekeeper (Former Employee) –  alberta1 February 2013
I’m so glad I’m not working for Jacobs anymore. I’ve worked for 2-straight weeks as a clerk and management never appreciated or cared about it. Managers don’t recognize their employee’s hardwork. Discrimination and Racism is definitely practiced among upper/senior management. Not the most promising company to work for. Once project is done, they’ll lay you off as quick as possible. No advancement either, and training was very poor.
Cons
lots of ot, no life at all
love my job
journeyman scaffolder (Former Employee) –  alberta8 October 2015
The positive thing to do stay focus be safe safety is the key aspect in life look out for oneself and our coworkers. I work fo I work for them a few time over the past 10 year o on shutdowns smal small contracts they are very family I take my hat of t to Jacobs I feel very proud looking fo I feel very proud working for a company
Summary Jacobs
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2015
Hardest part: dealing with multiple projects and politics in almost each of the projects i had to deal with.

Learned: devised macros for the specific tasks - automation which made the pverall work more efficient.
Good atmosphere and positive work environment
Accounts payable (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 August 2014
I worked primarily in accounts payable and learned quite a bit as it was my first time working in this type of position. I also assisted procurement and document controls with filing and data entry and archiving documents upon project completion. My coworkers were easy to work with and answered any questions I had to the best of their abilities. The hardest part of my job was getting used to starting so early in the morning, but once I got on to a schedule, it became second nature and I enjoyed working early in the morning. The best part of my job was learning some new skills and meeting so many great people.
Pros
Gift certificates from management and meeting new people.
Cons
My contract was only 3 months... I wish it had been longer.
My background & skills can be utilized & developed & to show my knowledge & experiences.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta Canada24 September 2015
The culture of the people and environment makes it great place work for me.I have worked successfully completed several projects from the start to completion.
Effective and fun environment
Timesheet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2012
We would all come into the office by 7:30 am. We would all share all the job duties or take turn doing each duty. Everyone would help everyone out in completing the tasks. Everyone was very helpful and motivated at all times to complete the job asap. The hardest part of the job was completing the duties on hand by the deadline if the company system experianced technical difficulties. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could take breaks at anytime we wished. There was no set timings for breaks. The management kept everyone on track and motivated. They also gave everyone a progress report while we were doing the job
Pros
overtime avaliable, no set timings for breaks, cheerful co-workers
Cons
technical difficulties
Great benefits and good people to work with
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2015
Great company to work for, they walk the walk and talk the talk. Best part is that we work a 9 hour day, bank 1 hour per day and get every second Friday off. Overtime is not a requirement this provides a comfortable work life balance. The companies "beyond Zero" safety policy is something that shows the company cares about its employees.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
Current work front is poor.
Excellent opportunity for Construction Project exposure
Senior Scheduler for Shell Major Projects (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 May 2014
This position is away from home, staying in camp. Continued to learn the ins and outs of construction scope from initial installation to commissioning for all disciplines while developing and maintaining an integrated schedule for all contractors.
Work with an excellent team, both internally, other contractors and the client while striving to maintain a win/win approach for the execution of the scope of work.
The most difficult part of the job is the time spent away from home, so it is vital to ensure that time at home is well spent. However the up side is that while in camp, life is simple. This allows complete focus on the job with out outside pressures.
It is very gratifying to see a plan come together after all of the interactive planning and scheduling sessions have been conducted and to implement and execute the schedule.
Pros
Lodging in executive camp rooms
Cons
Extended periods away from home
Excellent Teamwork
Intermediate Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary19 June 2014
• Meet daily payment remittance deadlines by noon each day
• Lead role in preparation of funding requests/cash calls to client
• Review accounts payable invoices for contract compliance
• Update and maintain AP logs
• Coding of accounts payable
• Close out of purchase orders
• Process monthly journal entries
• Ensure accounting records are accurate
• Prepare unbilled reconciliation on a monthly basis
• Prepare bank account reconciliation’s and other cash call accounts
• Liaise with project management, project controls and accounting management to review results on a monthly basis
• Audit support
Intermediate Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2015
Over the years my perspective on this has changed as my job changed within the organization. All in all a good place to work, people are treated fair if they work, if they are lazy... well... they aren't.

I found the overall business outlook was shortsighted from time to time, but in the end there was reasoning behind many of the decisions that seem this way at the onset.

There were a number of good things that came out of this, along side a host of knowledge, and these include things from earned days off to project lunches and team building events.
I like to work with Jacobs.
Sr. piping designer/checker (Current Employee) –  Calgary20 August 2014
I like to work with Jacobs.

Jacobs has good working environment, good management, good training system, provided good chance to learn and improve on your career. The co-workers is helpful when you need. easy to communicate. I really like the working environment at Jacobs.
Wonderful place to work!!
Materials Requisitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta9 August 2012
I have never enjoyed a work environment as I do at Jacobs. It is a very fun and casual setting, however the balance is perfect so it does not take away from productivity. The management team is amazing, and definitely the friendliest group I have ever met, with every single one keeping an open-door policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with, I have met so many new friends here!
Pros
hard work does not go unnoticed
Cons
client expectations can be very demanding
Perfect company
Sr. Material management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2015
I really like to work at Jacobs Canada.
I love work atmosphere and relationship between people work there.
most enjoyable part of my job is dynamic work as we are a connection between designers, engineers, management, suppliers and site contractors.
Overall a good company to work for
Sr. Site Administrator/Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2014
Enjoyed the structure and processes that were in place within the company. Has a great benefit package. Worked with some excellent people - talented, diligent in their work ethics. Most difficult part of the job was changing management, changing work ethics and standards. Most enjoyable part of job is that I love doing the kind of work I do.
Pros
Great benefit program
Cons
Changes in management during project duration; lack of consistency of philosophy
Pay and fellow workers were good. Management C-.
Estimator IV (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CA24 February 2015
Department manager was an expert at Kbase but did not pass on his knowledge to those who worked for him. The company management talked about ethics but I feel they were not ethical with there employees. The pay was good and the people I worked with were fun to work with.
Pros
Safety classes, free lunch during some holidays.
Cons
Bellow par department management lesast 3 years..
Jacobs
Senior Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2015
Great company. Being a part of Jacobs was one of the highlights of my career. I would recommend Jacobs to anyone looking for a career.
Culture of caring
Mechanical Engineer, EIT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2015
Jacobs constantly emphasizes its culture of caring which is evident everyday you go to work. Working with people who genuinely care about your well being motivates you to excel.
Working at Belle Plaine mine site was great because I got to do lots of different things there
reinforcing ironworker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 November 2012
Started with a prejob safety talk and prejob safety clearance form and work order .went you my area to fab up rebar or tie up rebar.I learned about the mining industtry and how things were made out of potash.I worked closely with different groups mainly carpenters but other trades too.The hardest part of job is I was a one man crew and sometimes was rushed to get done.It was a good place to work and I got to do all sides of the rebar industry from estimating to fabbing to placing and tieing it and was good at that
Pros
was good place work
Cons
we didn`t get travel time or gas allowance for travelling to site each day