Jacobs Employee Reviews

Jacobs
Senior Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2015
Great company. Being a part of Jacobs was one of the highlights of my career. I would recommend Jacobs to anyone looking for a career.
Excellent Teamwork
Intermediate Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJune 19, 2014
• Meet daily payment remittance deadlines by noon each day
• Lead role in preparation of funding requests/cash calls to client
• Review accounts payable invoices for contract compliance
• Update and maintain AP logs
• Coding of accounts payable
• Close out of purchase orders
• Process monthly journal entries
• Ensure accounting records are accurate
• Prepare unbilled reconciliation on a monthly basis
• Prepare bank account reconciliation’s and other cash call accounts
• Liaise with project management, project controls and accounting management to review results on a monthly basis
• Audit support
Pay and fellow workers were good. Management C-.
Estimator IV (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Department manager was an expert at Kbase but did not pass on his knowledge to those who worked for him. The company management talked about ethics but I feel they were not ethical with there employees. The pay was good and the people I worked with were fun to work with.
Pros
safety classes, free lunch during some holidays.
Cons
bellow par department management lesast 3 years..
Wonderful place to work!!
Materials Requisitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 9, 2012
I have never enjoyed a work environment as I do at Jacobs. It is a very fun and casual setting, however the balance is perfect so it does not take away from productivity. The management team is amazing, and definitely the friendliest group I have ever met, with every single one keeping an open-door policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with, I have met so many new friends here!
Pros
hard work does not go unnoticed
Cons
client expectations can be very demanding
fun place to work
Jr. Project Manager - Shell Downstream Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2015
great co-workers, no benefits. not a typical 9 to 5. lots of work. if you enjoy traveling as part of your work and there is lots of chances for that.
JACOBS CANADA INC.
Lead Electrical and Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2012
Great company to work on contract with. Good wages and benefits.
Good management and good payments on time.
Pros
great company and good wages
Great people and oppertunities
Scaffolding & Indirect Trades Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 22, 2015
Working closely with clients on day to day activities in all aspects of the trade groups. Organizing work and keeping employee personal safety above all else. Showing a caring culture to new employees and making everyone feel like part of the team.
Overall a good company to work for
Sr. Site Administrator/Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 26, 2014
Enjoyed the structure and processes that were in place within the company. Has a great benefit package. Worked with some excellent people - talented, diligent in their work ethics. Most difficult part of the job was changing management, changing work ethics and standards. Most enjoyable part of job is that I love doing the kind of work I do.
Pros
great benefit program
Cons
changes in management during project duration; lack of consistency of philosophy
Great spot to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 10, 2015
Great work life balance, supportive and accommodating. Something must be right if they're the latest Maintenance Contractor in the world...
Think twice work for Jacobs Calgary
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 21, 2013
Majority of the middle management team are Indians. A lot of Indian work permit holders too. If you happen to be Caucasian, congratulations, you are the visual minority here.

Management is BS. At company/department scale meetings, they always tell you how great the company is doing while they constantly "vacation off" people (On the other hand, they try best to keep Indians on work permit to get Immigration status).

The company has no standard way of performing technical designs since their engineers are from many different backgrounds. This is both good and bad. If you have a great team lead, it's good! If you happen to end up with a stupid lead, cry me a river! I would not recommend this company for anyone start out their career because chances are you are not going to learn the proper way.

Like any other EPCM companies, Jacobs is subjected to the Oil&Gas cycle. It's a good place to work for when the Canadian oil economy is doing good provide you don't under-perform too bad.

Think twice when the Canadian oil economy is not doing good. Then you will have to worry about company not getting new projects coming to work everyday. Kiss goodbye your lunch mates, friends. It's even more painful when you are forced to "take vacation". And eventually, maybe get layed off. ( They will put your name under the resignation list when they show people in the next meeting)

Depends on your department and the team you are working for. There are good and bad people you have to deal with. Best of luck!
Pros
good pay
Cons
better than nothing benifit, worry about job security constantly
great team envirorment
General foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 27, 2015
great team environment. it was great to be involved in this team. the safety culture was amazing. the electrical department was built to preform. all who were involved had a common goals of safety quality and finally production.
Management skill was great.
Senior / Principal Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABMarch 24, 2015
As one of largest design engineering firm in the world, I learned the skill of project management. Jacobs gave a great chance for me to perform my best.
Intermediate Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2015
Over the years my perspective on this has changed as my job changed within the organization. All in all a good place to work, people are treated fair if they work, if they are lazy... well... they aren't.

I found the overall business outlook was shortsighted from time to time, but in the end there was reasoning behind many of the decisions that seem this way at the onset.

There were a number of good things that came out of this, along side a host of knowledge, and these include things from earned days off to project lunches and team building events.
an overview and planning of a days work
Forman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 9, 2015
helping assist other trades moving in moving and placing material for their workday ,good radio communications with co-workers and management makes for a safe productive work day.
And everyone goes home safe at the end of the day
DC Staff be Aware
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2013
There is too much work at this office. You can work 70 hour weeks and not be caught up.
Do not trust management. HR leaks information. The manager is a bully.
Co-Workers are great, for the most part, there are some abusive people, and nothing seems to be done about them so it continues. Nepotism does exist for sure. Women should watch out for sexual harassment, and then to be labelled a trouble maker and black listed.
Run professionally
Payroll Administrator/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2013
Travel in by coach to CNRL.
Stretching, payroll, ac/ap and travel logistics.
Learned new things everyday.
Management available anytime.
Hardest part was traveling back and forth from Wood buffalo.
So many things to learn and the best is that because I love to be challenged always.
Pros
continually learning new areas to keep me challanged
Cons
traveling back and forth from fort mac to cnrl
SERP Project
Project Scheduler and Cost Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 26, 2015
it was some of the best times of my career. I worked with some good people there. We built a good team
This as well as the following reviews will be similar as I worked in different capacities at the same site.
Pros
uncertainy of the business
Cons
good team building
Engineering design company
Jr. Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2012
Since this is an engineering design company, the work is technically intensive. This provides for opportunities to learn and I have found senior colleagues to be very helpful in explaining and teaching concepts. Co-workers are generally great and the company fosters a respectful work environments. Wages are generally competitive.
Interesting - would of been better if an employee and not contractor.
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2013
Busy from morning till night - typical EPC company but with usual bck-stabbing by jealous associates that know of only one way to achieve their goals. Did not understand their management style.
Pros
found good associates
Cons
wondered if work was appreciated, not alot of feedback.
not bad
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2015
i was called based on the recommendation of a friend for an interview. Was interviewed seperatelly by two. The first one asked, to my opinion, too many private question and the second one was very professional and confident. I did not like that Jacobs is not taking responsibility for their people in bad time with an attitude " we are not the shelter". I believe for a good company and stable society , it it important to keep good people coz they supported the company in good times, but in bad times, they are not good enough.