Jacobs Employee Reviews

Tasks and Projects
Server Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2015
Server monitoring of all main servers in Canada - check for issues
Tackle the tickets in the service queue for Server Operations
Create project folder security based on location and disciplines
Build servers in VMware for 2008 for 2003 migration
Check data centre for server, UPS, and network alerts
Always busy
Pros
Good enviroment
Overworked big time.
Procurement Specialist(Contract). (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2014
worst place I ever worked, the managers are bullies and they hate it if you do not brown nose to them all the time. They use people then throw them away if your manager does not like you.
The office politics and tittle tackle is terrible with the character assassination of good workers being done by the career nutcases.
Sorry but I would never work their again they treat people terrible, overload you with work then expect you to put 50 hour weeks in to clear it, if you don`t work over they fire you.
Sorry but I have a personal life as well as work.
Pros
money
Cons
terrible managers
Overall a good company to work for
Sr. Site Administrator/Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2014
Enjoyed the structure and processes that were in place within the company. Has a great benefit package. Worked with some excellent people - talented, diligent in their work ethics. Most difficult part of the job was changing management, changing work ethics and standards. Most enjoyable part of job is that I love doing the kind of work I do.
Pros
Great benefit program
Cons
Changes in management during project duration; lack of consistency of philosophy
Excellent Teamwork
Intermediate Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary19 June 2014
• Meet daily payment remittance deadlines by noon each day
• Lead role in preparation of funding requests/cash calls to client
• Review accounts payable invoices for contract compliance
• Update and maintain AP logs
• Coding of accounts payable
• Close out of purchase orders
• Process monthly journal entries
• Ensure accounting records are accurate
• Prepare unbilled reconciliation on a monthly basis
• Prepare bank account reconciliation’s and other cash call accounts
• Liaise with project management, project controls and accounting management to review results on a monthly basis
• Audit support
Good atmosphere and positive work environment
Accounts payable (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 August 2014
I worked primarily in accounts payable and learned quite a bit as it was my first time working in this type of position. I also assisted procurement and document controls with filing and data entry and archiving documents upon project completion. My coworkers were easy to work with and answered any questions I had to the best of their abilities. The hardest part of my job was getting used to starting so early in the morning, but once I got on to a schedule, it became second nature and I enjoyed working early in the morning. The best part of my job was learning some new skills and meeting so many great people.
Pros
Gift certificates from management and meeting new people.
Cons
My contract was only 3 months... I wish it had been longer.
Time which is spending in the office is productive and pleasant.
Instrument Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2014
My previous workplace was quiet good.
At the present time the company is running out of Projects for that reason some of the staff was realised
I enjoyed working with co-workers which ware very supportive and helpful.
The company provided some Lunch and Learn sessions which was very beneficial to attend.
I had a chance to learn more about application of the new instruments process details and safety issue in the oil & gas process.
Pros
Workplace provides fitness facilities which makes beneficial for health
Nepotism to the extreme
maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  IRVING OIL REFINERY SAINT JOHN N.B.20 May 2013
Worked im maintenance for a client.Executing work orders.Learned that their philosophy is if you want to get ahead you have to bring out the knives.Favouritism was the order of the day.Management on the site are a bunch of paranoid control freaks who encourage finking and demand blind loyalty.If oyu get injured they treat you like a criminal.They peddle their culture of caring,then break WNB rules regarding incident reporting.Co-workers were ok.Hardest part of job was watching the atmosphere change from let's go to work to "watch your back".Most enjoyable part of the job was the physical job itself.
Pros
payday
Cons
every other day
Excellent wages and friendly environment
JR. DOCUMENT CONTROL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2012
A typical day at work would consist of document control and data entry, filing and records management.
I learned about engineering drawings and how to quality check.
Friendly environment and fun to work with fellow employees.
The hardest part of the job was the overtime. They required too much overtime to get the job done on time.

The most enjoyable part was the variety of work to be done and always busy.
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
too much overtime
Think first, before applying to this company
timekeeper (Former Employee) –  alberta1 February 2013
I’m so glad I’m not working for Jacobs anymore. I’ve worked for 2-straight weeks as a clerk and management never appreciated or cared about it. Managers don’t recognize their employee’s hardwork. Discrimination and Racism is definitely practiced among upper/senior management. Not the most promising company to work for. Once project is done, they’ll lay you off as quick as possible. No advancement either, and training was very poor.
Cons
lots of ot, no life at all
Working at Belle Plaine mine site was great because I got to do lots of different things there
reinforcing ironworker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 November 2012
Started with a prejob safety talk and prejob safety clearance form and work order .went you my area to fab up rebar or tie up rebar.I learned about the mining industtry and how things were made out of potash.I worked closely with different groups mainly carpenters but other trades too.The hardest part of job is I was a one man crew and sometimes was rushed to get done.It was a good place to work and I got to do all sides of the rebar industry from estimating to fabbing to placing and tieing it and was good at that
Pros
was good place work
Cons
we didn`t get travel time or gas allowance for travelling to site each day
Wonderful place to work!!
Materials Requisitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta9 August 2012
I have never enjoyed a work environment as I do at Jacobs. It is a very fun and casual setting, however the balance is perfect so it does not take away from productivity. The management team is amazing, and definitely the friendliest group I have ever met, with every single one keeping an open-door policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with, I have met so many new friends here!
Pros
hard work does not go unnoticed
Cons
client expectations can be very demanding
Effective and fun environment
Timesheet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2012
We would all come into the office by 7:30 am. We would all share all the job duties or take turn doing each duty. Everyone would help everyone out in completing the tasks. Everyone was very helpful and motivated at all times to complete the job asap. The hardest part of the job was completing the duties on hand by the deadline if the company system experianced technical difficulties. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could take breaks at anytime we wished. There was no set timings for breaks. The management kept everyone on track and motivated. They also gave everyone a progress report while we were doing the job
Pros
overtime avaliable, no set timings for breaks, cheerful co-workers
Cons
technical difficulties
Well organized company that offered opportunities for advancement
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2014
Jacobs offered training where requested and where needed. The work they offered was challenging and I was compensated fairly while employed here. I parted ways with Jacobs on good terms to explore other opportunites. I would except future opportunities with this company and would recommend Jacobs to anyone who asked.
Pros
Challenging opportunities
Cons
None to speak of
Lots of learning
Int. Project Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  calgary25 April 2015
I worked almost three years at this company and my time there was filled with joy and intense learning. I learned most aspects of engineering business as well as about my department specific. I would highly recommend people working with companies like Jacobs.
Non respect des individus
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Scotford, AB24 September 2015
Manque de respect envers les employés,
aucune concidération envers leurs évolutions
employés égale un numéro que l'on remplace...
DC Staff be Aware
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2013
There is too much work at this office. You can work 70 hour weeks and not be caught up.
Do not trust management. HR leaks information. The manager is a bully.
Co-Workers are great, for the most part, there are some abusive people, and nothing seems to be done about them so it continues. Nepotism does exist for sure. Women should watch out for sexual harassment, and then to be labelled a trouble maker and black listed.
Run professionally
Payroll Administrator/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2013
Travel in by coach to CNRL.
Stretching, payroll, ac/ap and travel logistics.
Learned new things everyday.
Management available anytime.
Hardest part was traveling back and forth from Wood buffalo.
So many things to learn and the best is that because I love to be challenged always.
Pros
Continually learning new areas to keep me challanged
Cons
Traveling back and forth from Fort Mac to CNRL
Great people and oppertunities
Scaffolding & Indirect Trades Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 March 2015
Working closely with clients on day to day activities in all aspects of the trade groups. Organizing work and keeping employee personal safety above all else. Showing a caring culture to new employees and making everyone feel like part of the team.
had bad experience
Labour Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 February 2015
Was sexually harassed in an isolated area on an isolated job. I notified my foreman asap. nothing happened, so I complained. Got transferred, and then got laid off. So I am not happy with this company. Cause working for them and getting sexually harassed can make you loose your job. makes no sense right. horrible experience.
Friendly and enjoyable team environment, Great work experience with knowledgeable staff and interesting projects.
Senior Piping Designer/Checker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2015
Pros
Staff Benefits