Jacobs Employee Reviews

Overall a good company to work for
Sr. Site Administrator/Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 26, 2014
Enjoyed the structure and processes that were in place within the company. Has a great benefit package. Worked with some excellent people - talented, diligent in their work ethics. Most difficult part of the job was changing management, changing work ethics and standards. Most enjoyable part of job is that I love doing the kind of work I do.
Pros
great benefit program
Cons
changes in management during project duration; lack of consistency of philosophy
Excellent Teamwork
Intermediate Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJune 19, 2014
• Meet daily payment remittance deadlines by noon each day
• Lead role in preparation of funding requests/cash calls to client
• Review accounts payable invoices for contract compliance
• Update and maintain AP logs
• Coding of accounts payable
• Close out of purchase orders
• Process monthly journal entries
• Ensure accounting records are accurate
• Prepare unbilled reconciliation on a monthly basis
• Prepare bank account reconciliation’s and other cash call accounts
• Liaise with project management, project controls and accounting management to review results on a monthly basis
• Audit support
Time which is spending in the office is productive and pleasant.
Instrument Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2014
My previous workplace was quiet good.
At the present time the company is running out of Projects for that reason some of the staff was realised
I enjoyed working with co-workers which ware very supportive and helpful.
The company provided some Lunch and Learn sessions which was very beneficial to attend.
I had a chance to learn more about application of the new instruments process details and safety issue in the oil & gas process.
Pros
workplace provides fitness facilities which makes beneficial for health
Nepotism to the extreme
maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  IRVING OIL REFINERY SAINT JOHN N.B.May 20, 2013
Worked im maintenance for a client.Executing work orders.Learned that their philosophy is if you want to get ahead you have to bring out the knives.Favouritism was the order of the day.Management on the site are a bunch of paranoid control freaks who encourage finking and demand blind loyalty.If oyu get injured they treat you like a criminal.They peddle their culture of caring,then break WNB rules regarding incident reporting.Co-workers were ok.Hardest part of job was watching the atmosphere change from let's go to work to "watch your back".Most enjoyable part of the job was the physical job itself.
Pros
payday
Cons
every other day
Excellent wages and friendly environment
JR. DOCUMENT CONTROL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2012
A typical day at work would consist of document control and data entry, filing and records management.
I learned about engineering drawings and how to quality check.
Friendly environment and fun to work with fellow employees.
The hardest part of the job was the overtime. They required too much overtime to get the job done on time.

The most enjoyable part was the variety of work to be done and always busy.
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
too much overtime
Think first, before applying to this company
timekeeper (Former Employee) –  albertaFebruary 1, 2013
I’m so glad I’m not working for Jacobs anymore. I’ve worked for 2-straight weeks as a clerk and management never appreciated or cared about it. Managers don’t recognize their employee’s hardwork. Discrimination and Racism is definitely practiced among upper/senior management. Not the most promising company to work for. Once project is done, they’ll lay you off as quick as possible. No advancement either, and training was very poor.
Cons
lots of ot, no life at all
Working at Belle Plaine mine site was great because I got to do lots of different things there
reinforcing ironworker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 14, 2012
Started with a prejob safety talk and prejob safety clearance form and work order .went you my area to fab up rebar or tie up rebar.I learned about the mining industtry and how things were made out of potash.I worked closely with different groups mainly carpenters but other trades too.The hardest part of job is I was a one man crew and sometimes was rushed to get done.It was a good place to work and I got to do all sides of the rebar industry from estimating to fabbing to placing and tieing it and was good at that
Pros
was good place work
Cons
we didn`t get travel time or gas allowance for travelling to site each day
Wonderful place to work!!
Materials Requisitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 9, 2012
I have never enjoyed a work environment as I do at Jacobs. It is a very fun and casual setting, however the balance is perfect so it does not take away from productivity. The management team is amazing, and definitely the friendliest group I have ever met, with every single one keeping an open-door policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with, I have met so many new friends here!
Pros
hard work does not go unnoticed
Cons
client expectations can be very demanding
Well organized company that offered opportunities for advancement
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 21, 2014
Jacobs offered training where requested and where needed. The work they offered was challenging and I was compensated fairly while employed here. I parted ways with Jacobs on good terms to explore other opportunites. I would except future opportunities with this company and would recommend Jacobs to anyone who asked.
Pros
challenging opportunities
Cons
none to speak of
Effective and fun environment
Timesheet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2012
We would all come into the office by 7:30 am. We would all share all the job duties or take turn doing each duty. Everyone would help everyone out in completing the tasks. Everyone was very helpful and motivated at all times to complete the job asap. The hardest part of the job was completing the duties on hand by the deadline if the company system experianced technical difficulties. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we could take breaks at anytime we wished. There was no set timings for breaks. The management kept everyone on track and motivated. They also gave everyone a progress report while we were doing the job
Pros
overtime avaliable, no set timings for breaks, cheerful co-workers
Cons
technical difficulties
DC Staff be Aware
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2013
There is too much work at this office. You can work 70 hour weeks and not be caught up.
Do not trust management. HR leaks information. The manager is a bully.
Co-Workers are great, for the most part, there are some abusive people, and nothing seems to be done about them so it continues. Nepotism does exist for sure. Women should watch out for sexual harassment, and then to be labelled a trouble maker and black listed.
Run professionally
Payroll Administrator/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2013
Travel in by coach to CNRL.
Stretching, payroll, ac/ap and travel logistics.
Learned new things everyday.
Management available anytime.
Hardest part was traveling back and forth from Wood buffalo.
So many things to learn and the best is that because I love to be challenged always.
Pros
continually learning new areas to keep me challanged
Cons
traveling back and forth from fort mac to cnrl
great team envirorment
General foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 27, 2015
great team environment. it was great to be involved in this team. the safety culture was amazing. the electrical department was built to preform. all who were involved had a common goals of safety quality and finally production.
an overview and planning of a days work
Forman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 9, 2015
helping assist other trades moving in moving and placing material for their workday ,good radio communications with co-workers and management makes for a safe productive work day.
And everyone goes home safe at the end of the day
great team spirt
Nightshift superintendent shutdown JPM (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 25, 2013
Provide site level coordination and supervision of work crews,
I learned how to balance multiple personalities creating a safe positive, productive work environment .
The high pace of shut downs with new people proved challenging yet rewarding .
I enjoyed the daily banter of our group .The day always started upbeat and a good morning
SERP Project
Project Scheduler and Cost Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 26, 2015
it was some of the best times of my career. I worked with some good people there. We built a good team
This as well as the following reviews will be similar as I worked in different capacities at the same site.
Pros
uncertainy of the business
Cons
good team building
productive and fun work place due to teambuilding and social activities
Project management functions in CNRL-Kirby SAGD (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2013
productive and some times fun in workplace due to work place team building activties and social club activities
Pros
opprtunities to show talent and express opinions for improving communications
Cons
soms times stressful work due to insufficient experienced staff
BEWARE Document Controllers
Lead Document Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2013
Co-workers where great to work around. Learned allot about slow Live Link. The Management just stinks in this department, very rude, and always looking over your shoulder, snarky, actually feels like your always on egg shells so BEWARE of this stressful environment.
Pros
money was good, benefits are good
Cons
nobody should have to work like this
Engineering design company
Jr. Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2012
Since this is an engineering design company, the work is technically intensive. This provides for opportunities to learn and I have found senior colleagues to be very helpful in explaining and teaching concepts. Co-workers are generally great and the company fosters a respectful work environments. Wages are generally competitive.
fun place to work
Jr. Project Manager - Shell Downstream Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2015
great co-workers, no benefits. not a typical 9 to 5. lots of work. if you enjoy traveling as part of your work and there is lots of chances for that.