Jacobs Employee Reviews

Na
Senior Piping Designer & checker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
This is leading Engineering procurement and construction company in areas of oil and gas. Company has presence in multiple countries and has clients like CNRL, SUNCOR, Saudi ARMCO.
Multitask
Drafter/Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
Good place to work. You must be multitask, ability to switch work very quickly. Nice environment. Learning new standards, possibility to interact with other companies.
Productive and innovative work place.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 July 2012
I enjoyed that no day was ever the same, there was never a dull day and there was always something to keep me busy.
Having different job assignments allowed for me to learn a diversity of new skills as well as making me more confident in my abilities.
I appreciated being able to work with a variety of people with different skill backgrounds which fostered a learning environment as well as team camaraderie. Being that it was a composite work crew, the varying trades working under one foreman were able to start a task and see it to completion.
It was helpful that the management that I had were proactive in helping us complete a task successfully.
The hardest part of the job was working with certain people that weren't willing to put in that honest effort. It was tough to find motivation on those days.
Being able to put my creative abilities into a project and being able to see the results would be the most enjoyable part of this job, or any job.
Pros
good wages and benefits
Cons
travel time and long hours
Great Company to work for job work/Life balance
DOCUMENT CONTROLLER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2016
Love the work schedule. Having at least 1 friday off a month was great so you can get any appointments done or just time with the family.
Great co-worker, Grest team atmosphere.
The salary and benefits are good
Pros
Great work schedule
Cons
No parking or expensive Parking
Productive and Pro-active
Senior Piping Designer/Checker (Former Employee) –  Ecmonton Alberta20 August 2016
Willing to work in field or site. Able to work under pressure, very flexible, can meet the given schedule on timely manner and provide assistance to juniors and intermediate piping designers.
Pros
Workoholic
great place to work
Loader/skid steer operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 September 2016
really great place to work managment and supervision were really easy to talk to. the crew was easy to get along with and the equipment was in great condition.
Intermediate Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2016
There was a culture of caring in the workplace, wherein employers and employees built a personal relationship with safety, and to take responsibility for safety not only for their own selves but for others as well. Respect for people and environment was greatly emphasized and courage to demonstrate care.
Pros
Earned Day Offs
Cons
Long work hours
Highly Structured and Industry Leaders
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2015
I found Jacobs as an exciting place to work where I have lots of opportunities to learn and apply my knowledge.

My stay at Jacobs was a fun and exciting time where I learned a lot of project management skills and met a variety of people with solid experience in their technical field.

Jacobs gave me confidence to polish my management and technical knowledge and I was able to discover my leadership style which has boosted my career to the next senior management level.
Pros
High level of motivation for dedicated individuals
Cons
Extremely tight timelines on projects
production and morale was great
Labourer/Bobcat Operator at Syncrude (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 April 2016
Hard work and cooperation from management team made working away from home good.

Worked with a good team which made going to work fun and production. Happy workers are good workers
Pros
nice room and good food
Cons
long periods away from home
Great Company / Struggles with Consistency
Systems Specialist - JPI Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2016
Jacobs is an Engineering company that grows through acquisition; this allows them to leverage their many different lines of business and their many employees (65,000+). Since they are so diverse they do sometimes struggle to maintain consistent work practises.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lots of middle management
Overworked big time.
Procurement Specialist(Contract). (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2014
worst place I ever worked, the managers are bullies and they hate it if you do not brown nose to them all the time. They use people then throw them away if your manager does not like you.
The office politics and tittle tackle is terrible with the character assassination of good workers being done by the career nutcases.
Sorry but I would never work their again they treat people terrible, overload you with work then expect you to put 50 hour weeks in to clear it, if you don`t work over they fire you.
Sorry but I have a personal life as well as work.
Pros
money
Cons
terrible managers
Excellent consulting environment
Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2015
The Edmonton office of Jacobs is an excellent workplace with supportive management and a focus on collaborative work and lots of opportunities to advance. Unfortunately like most consulting firms job security becomes an issue during slow economic times.
Nepotism to the extreme
maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  IRVING OIL REFINERY SAINT JOHN N.B.20 May 2013
Worked im maintenance for a client.Executing work orders.Learned that their philosophy is if you want to get ahead you have to bring out the knives.Favouritism was the order of the day.Management on the site are a bunch of paranoid control freaks who encourage finking and demand blind loyalty.If oyu get injured they treat you like a criminal.They peddle their culture of caring,then break WNB rules regarding incident reporting.Co-workers were ok.Hardest part of job was watching the atmosphere change from let's go to work to "watch your back".Most enjoyable part of the job was the physical job itself.
Pros
payday
Cons
every other day
Senior Control Systems Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2015
Jacobs Canada is a good place to work. Company observes work-life balance and makes sure every opinion is heard. The salary is also competitive and offers continuous learning.
Good work culture, friendly
Structural Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2016
I had learnt a lot at this company. Everyone there was friendly and always ready to help. The manager is always available to sort out what ever problem you have (strictly professional).
Pros
free lunches, learning opportunities
Cons
salary
Completed 3 projects with each time a fresh team
Dy. Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 June 2016
- the best project was the Agrium, Carseland project that was awarded to Jacobs on nomination as all other EPC refused to bid for project being a petro-chemical project.
- the project was awarded due to my experience in petrochemical
- enjoyed the project and the motivated team
- completed the project on time
Fun workplace with some social networking and extra curricular activities
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
I am looking for project coordinator/ project controls position in challenging organization where I could have have learning opportunities for my professional development as well as fun time with my co workers so that we could work like a team and bring out great results.
Pros
Free lunches and social activities
Cons
long job hours to meet deadlines
Big Name - Small Culture
Project Controls (Former Employee) –  Querry Park, Calgary, AB20 December 2013
Worst company to work for. The Management has no skills. They work less and do politics more. Totally Hippocratic.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No career growth...worst company to work for...
weak job culture and management
Pipeline drafter (Former Employee) –  Querry park1 May 2015
I enjoyed working with my supervisor and co-workers but all of us did`nt have job security. Project management was good but upper Managers don’t recognize their employee’s hardwork. Not the most promising company to work for. Once project is done, they’ll lay you off as quick as possible. No advancement either, and training was very poor.
Cons
they held alot of meeting during launch time and all of us did not have time to take break
Excellent wages and friendly environment
JR. DOCUMENT CONTROL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2012
A typical day at work would consist of document control and data entry, filing and records management.
I learned about engineering drawings and how to quality check.
Friendly environment and fun to work with fellow employees.
The hardest part of the job was the overtime. They required too much overtime to get the job done on time.

The most enjoyable part was the variety of work to be done and always busy.
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
too much overtime