Jacobs Employee Reviews

Productive and innovative work place.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 July 2012
I enjoyed that no day was ever the same, there was never a dull day and there was always something to keep me busy.
Having different job assignments allowed for me to learn a diversity of new skills as well as making me more confident in my abilities.
I appreciated being able to work with a variety of people with different skill backgrounds which fostered a learning environment as well as team camaraderie. Being that it was a composite work crew, the varying trades working under one foreman were able to start a task and see it to completion.
It was helpful that the management that I had were proactive in helping us complete a task successfully.
The hardest part of the job was working with certain people that weren't willing to put in that honest effort. It was tough to find motivation on those days.
Being able to put my creative abilities into a project and being able to see the results would be the most enjoyable part of this job, or any job.
Pros
good wages and benefits
Cons
travel time and long hours
Excellent consulting environment
Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2015
The Edmonton office of Jacobs is an excellent workplace with supportive management and a focus on collaborative work and lots of opportunities to advance. Unfortunately like most consulting firms job security becomes an issue during slow economic times.
Completed 3 projects with each time a fresh team
Dy. Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 June 2016
- the best project was the Agrium, Carseland project that was awarded to Jacobs on nomination as all other EPC refused to bid for project being a petro-chemical project.
- the project was awarded due to my experience in petrochemical
- enjoyed the project and the motivated team
- completed the project on time
Good work culture, friendly
Structural Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2016
I had learnt a lot at this company. Everyone there was friendly and always ready to help. The manager is always available to sort out what ever problem you have (strictly professional).
Pros
free lunches, learning opportunities
Cons
salary
Fun workplace with some social networking and extra curricular activities
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
I am looking for project coordinator/ project controls position in challenging organization where I could have have learning opportunities for my professional development as well as fun time with my co workers so that we could work like a team and bring out great results.
Pros
Free lunches and social activities
Cons
long job hours to meet deadlines
Highly Structured and Industry Leaders
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2015
I found Jacobs as an exciting place to work where I have lots of opportunities to learn and apply my knowledge.

My stay at Jacobs was a fun and exciting time where I learned a lot of project management skills and met a variety of people with solid experience in their technical field.

Jacobs gave me confidence to polish my management and technical knowledge and I was able to discover my leadership style which has boosted my career to the next senior management level.
Pros
High level of motivation for dedicated individuals
Cons
Extremely tight timelines on projects
Jacobs was a fun and engaging place to work.
Instrument & Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2016
Jacobs was a fun and engaging place to work. It offered career advancement opportunities and also many different work challenges to help people learn and grow.
Senior Control Systems Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2015
Jacobs Canada is a good place to work. Company observes work-life balance and makes sure every opinion is heard. The salary is also competitive and offers continuous learning.
Overworked big time.
Procurement Specialist(Contract). (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2014
worst place I ever worked, the managers are bullies and they hate it if you do not brown nose to them all the time. They use people then throw them away if your manager does not like you.
The office politics and tittle tackle is terrible with the character assassination of good workers being done by the career nutcases.
Sorry but I would never work their again they treat people terrible, overload you with work then expect you to put 50 hour weeks in to clear it, if you don`t work over they fire you.
Sorry but I have a personal life as well as work.
Pros
money
Cons
terrible managers
Nepotism to the extreme
maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  IRVING OIL REFINERY SAINT JOHN N.B.20 May 2013
Worked im maintenance for a client.Executing work orders.Learned that their philosophy is if you want to get ahead you have to bring out the knives.Favouritism was the order of the day.Management on the site are a bunch of paranoid control freaks who encourage finking and demand blind loyalty.If oyu get injured they treat you like a criminal.They peddle their culture of caring,then break WNB rules regarding incident reporting.Co-workers were ok.Hardest part of job was watching the atmosphere change from let's go to work to "watch your back".Most enjoyable part of the job was the physical job itself.
Pros
payday
Cons
every other day
weak job culture and management
Pipeline drafter (Former Employee) –  Querry park1 May 2015
I enjoyed working with my supervisor and co-workers but all of us did`nt have job security. Project management was good but upper Managers don’t recognize their employee’s hardwork. Not the most promising company to work for. Once project is done, they’ll lay you off as quick as possible. No advancement either, and training was very poor.
Cons
they held alot of meeting during launch time and all of us did not have time to take break
Jacobs
Principal Control System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary14 October 2015
Overall, I am very happy at my stay with Jacobs. I have developed my career from Intermediate, senior, principal to lead position in the past 11 years. The fun part is dynamic, every project is unique and most of them have different process and different control system from previous. There are always something new to learn for every job. I love this part and it expands my knowledge and experience.
Also I enjoy the free access to the gym and flexible schedule.
Pros
Free gym access; flexible work schedule
Big Name - Small Culture
Project Controls (Former Employee) –  Querry Park, Calgary, AB20 December 2013
Worst company to work for. The Management has no skills. They work less and do politics more. Totally Hippocratic.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No career growth...worst company to work for...
Excellent company
Office Services Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary25 January 2016
I loved working for Jacobs. All employees are friendly and helpful. My manager and supervisor were wonderful persons who always made sure that the staff feel like home. they became good friends to all of us and in the summer we went to their house for barbqs. My manager and supervisor many times covered my work so I can attend lunch meetings and voluntary work within the company. They encouraged me to learn as much as possible in office services and reception.
Excellent wages and friendly environment
JR. DOCUMENT CONTROL (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2012
A typical day at work would consist of document control and data entry, filing and records management.
I learned about engineering drawings and how to quality check.
Friendly environment and fun to work with fellow employees.
The hardest part of the job was the overtime. They required too much overtime to get the job done on time.

The most enjoyable part was the variety of work to be done and always busy.
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
too much overtime
Think first, before applying to this company
timekeeper (Former Employee) –  alberta1 February 2013
I’m so glad I’m not working for Jacobs anymore. I’ve worked for 2-straight weeks as a clerk and management never appreciated or cared about it. Managers don’t recognize their employee’s hardwork. Discrimination and Racism is definitely practiced among upper/senior management. Not the most promising company to work for. Once project is done, they’ll lay you off as quick as possible. No advancement either, and training was very poor.
Cons
lots of ot, no life at all
Good place
Red Seal Steam and Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 March 2016
I have worked for this company two different times. The first time the super was not favorable. My foreman was good and the crew i worked with were great guys. The second time i worked for them it was a good experience. I had a great foreman and a great crew. Look forward to working with them again.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Not enough work
good and safe work place
scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 March 2016
i liked to work for jacobs they were a good compagnie ,ive learn alot from good journeyman,i loved hard work like scaffolding ,i liked challange,good safety but i want jobs with flight and camp
Pros
good money
Cons
last job no camp, no flight
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2015
JFSL in my word is one of the best companies i've ever worked for in my life ,the people are what makes this company what it is . the environment and atmosphere is one the most positive places I've ever worked in and would gladly go back and work them.
Pros
Awsome camp
Cons
It used to be a good place to work.
Piping Designer / Checker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta17 June 2015
I consider myself lucky. I was one of the few designers that was actually doing detailed engineering, as most of the design work was being sent out to the Mumbai office.

I was also fortunate to be working with good people...all very professional and all with good humor.

The hardest part of my job was making the process area totally functional, accessible and safe for operations

The most enjoyable part was after model reviews, when people would tell me I did a good design
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
As soon as I was non-billable, I was terminated