JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews

great
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON9 July 2017
its awesome at jack astors, such a great friendly nviornment that everyone feels welcome in no matter if youve been working there for 2 days or 2 years .
Good atmosphere
Server, Bartender, Cocktail waitress (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 June 2017
Entertaining workplace, it is a good experience dealing with different types of people and learning how to handle different stressful situations. Working in a team makes the job much easier and fun
Pros
very good money
Cons
very long hours
Jacks
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON31 May 2017
i have been working with this company for about 3 years now.
wonderful people to work with so you really never want to leave.

Management can use a little more communication. plus have a little more acknowledgement for the people working the hardest or doing more work and on daily bases.

the most enjoyable part of this job is all the friendly guest that you are able to come across and talk to.
Good at times
Manager/Server (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 May 2017
Depending on who your managers are and if they like you will depend on how well it goes. I have seen a lot of managers and employees and if the managers didnt like you, you would be the short end of the stick
Fun atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON18 April 2017
Absolutely great atmosphere, great people. Some of my most valued friendships have come from here. The "restaurant lifestyle" of drinking, social atmosphere and late nights is very evident at this job.
Overall Good
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 April 2017
Nice people and atmosphere, however it did not work out because of me and my job. Personally, it was very painstaking to work as a dishwasher and i would much prefer working in a costumer service job interacting with customers and helping them first and foremost.
Pros
The people and environment
Cons
Long hours and physical labour
Pretty interesting place to work
Line cook and Kitchen supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON31 March 2017
I can't specifically speak for all Jack Astors, but my experience was amazing for the first couple of year. Up until the last year or so it became a very poor and hard environment to work in. The Managers in the store were switched around almost semi annually which made it a very difficult place to work. I really enjoyed my time working for the company though all-in-all, it was a very fast paced out going family which was a nice touch. The food was also very amazing :
Pros
Fast paced/ Yearly menu changes
Cons
N/a
Fun place to start learning how to cook!
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 March 2017
It's a very different busy workplace, with weird schedules. Either very long or not long enough. Always worth it, the people are great and the work is always different!
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, not able to switch shifts
fun place to work at.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
i have been working for Jack Astor's(Downtown location) over a year now. I really like working at this place. The staff is really good and my Managers are really nice. My co-workers are very cooperative. I enjoy working here.
Pros
friendly staff
kitchen
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 February 2017
great people, easy work. gets very busy at times, and can be overwhelming but easy to overcome if you have experience management was my downfall and my reason for leaving
Pros
50% off
Cons
long hrs and uneducated management

Want to know more about JACK ASTOR'S?

Ask a question
Fast-pace, fun place to work
Hostess/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
A typical day at work would be very busy, always cleaning or doing something. Meeting a lot of new people daily. The hardest part of the job was getting to know each and every employee on a personal level because there were so many of us!
my first job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2017
it was my first job so they took it slow with me but then again i knew from the start that job wasn't for me. the management was good but it was awkward and uncomfortable for because i was new and i only knew one person. the hardest part of the job was working long hours of a job i already hated in less than 2 weeks! But hard work pays off.
Cons
long hours, no breaks
Great Environment with excellent training
Server (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON3 January 2017
Jack Astor's has an excellent training program that supports your success from new employees to veteran servers who have been with the company for years. It is a very welcoming place to work at and has flexible hours that are perfect, as most employees are students.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
occasionally long days
great environment/ closes to late
LINE COOK/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
jack Astor's was lots of fun to work at management was great staff was friendly, but the hours were insanely hectic and because of the huge amount of turnovers those of us who were there had to pick up the slack, which meant that every thing else not relating to the job suffers. most leave because of the fact that they're not paid enough for the amount of work they have to put in and how late the restaurant closes.
Pros
lots of room for growth
Cons
no life outside work
productive work area
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador7 December 2016
was a great place to work just a lack of hours and couldn't afford to keep working at that location. great staff, friendly work environment.
great location for business.
Leadership and Belief
Bartender/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  5051 Yonge St.10 November 2016
Jack Astor's allowed me the ability to progress professionally and personally. This possibly is the best job I've ever had for the teamwork and knowledge I received.
Pros
Teamwork
Pretty good
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
It's pretty good although the weekend shifts can get quite long and you don't really get a good amount of break time in between. The managers are really chill and you'll get along with them easilly, theyre quite likable. Overall it's a good place to work if you're OK with working long shifts every once in a while.
Pros
Nice people, good managment, good pay/tipout
Cons
Long weekend shifts
Worst place I have ever worked.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2016
Would never advise anyone to work at this establishment or even eat there. You work long hours, some people in authority treat others differently due to their race. Have a friend who got promoted and the members of the team who lead are making it as difficult as they can for him, when they should be supporting him. His superior schedules him for some unfair times with as much as 4-5 hrs to sleep before heading back to work. Both him and another friend of mine were going through training for their promotions and were treated quite horribly and made to work twice as hard while others were told to just observe. Shame .
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Long hours, procedures which don't work, racist management
Work Life
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 July 2016
Even though some days where longer than others I was surrounded by amazing coworkers and management team. I learned and gained self confidence with multi tasking and people interactions. Jack Astors is a fun but also serious place to work we had to make sure we worked as a team and helped each other out. I gained a lot of team work skills with the 11 months I was there.
Productive and very fun place to work at.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
My typical day of being a hostess at Jack Astor's would be checking to see if there are any reservations coming in right away and making sure tables are ready for when the guest(s) have arrived then greet guests as they come in and seat them where their happiest. If servers are unaware their table has been sat, i inform them and let them know they have a guest. Servers must have to check their section and make sure they have everything up to standards and have a manager sign it before we can seat the servers section. If it's signed and ready to go we can seat that section right away. Managers check in with employees and are helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the guests and making sure they are taking care of the best we can.
Pros
Discounts off any meal.
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JACK ASTOR'S. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2