JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and very fun place to work at.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2016
My typical day of being a hostess at Jack Astor's would be checking to see if there are any reservations coming in right away and making sure tables are ready for when the guest(s) have arrived then greet guests as they come in and seat them where their happiest. If servers are unaware their table has been sat, i inform them and let them know they have a guest. Servers must have to check their section and make sure they have everything up to standards and have a manager sign it before we can seat the servers section. If it's signed and ready to go we can seat that section right away. Managers check in with employees and are helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the guests and making sure they are taking care of the best we can.
Pros
Discounts off any meal.
Cons
Not enough hours
Authentic and fun place with a lounge and dining area, patio and a shuffleboard table.
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
Shifts were very busy and dutiful. I gained fantastic customer service and time management skills. I also learned effective communication skills.

Managers were fun and caring but need to improve on scheduling needs.

Altogether, the staff members felt like family members and we all helped each other without any conflict.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring that meals were exactly how each guest required it to be.

The most enjoyable part was getting to know each guest and creating regulars according to experience.
Pros
Discounted meals, health benefits, gym benefits, events
Cons
Not enough hours, overstaffed
productive and fun place to work
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 25, 2016
In general is a great place to work for. very fast paced work environment and fun makes your time go by fast. you learn a lot about customer services and how important it is to meet customers expectations.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
long breaks
Fun place to work and learn
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 6, 2016
It's a great place to learn about the industry and get your feet wet. You must be able to learn fast and adapt quickly to the culture of the restaurant or you might sink but there are always veterans to help you out.
Fun professional atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 15, 2016
Absolutely love my coworkers. Enjoy the fast paced environment. Love interacting with the public. Excellent teamwork.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long hours with minimal breaks
fun workplace, lack of hours
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 15, 2016
typical day at work:
Busy and organized.

learned:
How to rotate sections.
How to work with the general public.

Management:
Sometimes unreasonable.
Overall friendly.

Co-workers:
Friendly and fun.

Best & Worst:
Co-workers (B)
No guaranteed weekly hours. (W)
Rotating sections so servers are happy.(W)
Fun and productive place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 30, 2015
I do enjoy working at Jack Astors but am ultamitely looking for employment in the nursing field for my future career. This job is a fun high spirited place to work and brings out my bubblely personality.
Fun place to start service career
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2015
Fun place to start your service career. Lots of great people to work with and management is always great.
The politics within the brand could be frustrating at times and the inconsistency in business levels would also make it hard sometimes
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow business levels
Good/bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
I wouldn't say, "to" or "not to" apply at front st jack astors as everyone had a different experience. Days were hard and the managers were the fakest people ever.
Pros
quitting
Cons
long hours, bad managers
Productive busy environment to work in
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Being a hostess you can get bored very easy and its demotivating to work but as a server you can engage into your customer satisfaction and it makes for a fun, speedy night.
Great People and Orignally a great environment
Cocktail Waitress/ Bartender/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Originally a fantastic place to work with a great management team and staff. Moved up to a supervisor role, however went back to serving and bartending as it was better for me financially. The hardest part would be the 12 hour shifts on the patio in the heat. The best part would be meeting new people everyday and building regular guests!
Pros
great tips and guests
A very warm-hearted team to work with.
Busser/Host (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2015
Everyone at Jack's from co-workers to management is extremely kind and supportive. Management sees you as more than just an employee, they see you as a person with goals in life that they understand may not be within SIRcorp, and it's respected. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the occasional moments I get to talk to my co-workers and joke around. Not only that, but my co-workers are appreciative of me. They thank me all the time for doing my job, and it makes me feel great. The general manager is absolutely phenomenal at hiring good people. That's the thing about Jack's, it's professional but not formal. Letting loose a little bit is actually encouraged! Being yourself is encouraged! I love that. The hardest part about my job is the fact that I'm not getting enough hours and that I get sent home early a lot of days because I'm not required; however that isn't specific to Jack's, it's just the nature of the industry. If I was getting enough hours, I would not be on here looking for another job.
Pros
wonderful staff and management.
Cons
not enough hours.
Jack Astors Review
Busser (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes bringing food to tables as well as cleaning off tables that people have left. As well as keeping the dining room and bar clean. Cleaning up spills is an often occurrence. I learned how to expand my people skills deal with difficult guests in a professional and polite manner. Management is great. I once did not expect to work late and was going to miss my bus to another city and the managers let me off early. Hardest part is dealing with unsatisfied guests. Most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and the people you work with. All friendly people who you are sure to get along with..
Pros
free meals
Cons
late hours
great resterant with alot of fun
Fryer Cook (Current Employee) –  toronto,ONJanuary 14, 2015
great job with alot perks perfect place if you love to cook management is perfect very on you to inquire success what you would learn in average day is that nobody orders the same thing everytime the hardest part of the job is to refill on stock and dealling with the orders when they pile up the most enjoyable part is working the people that im working with.
Pros
great hours and people
Cons
not enuff hours
Best Job
Hostesses (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day working for Jack Astors is always new and exciting. It is spent talking to guests, accommodating for certain situations, and always thinking on your feet. I have learned so much from being an employee at Jack's. It ranges from people skills to many other qualities Jack's has gifted me with. The hardest part of my job, has been problem solving when things go wrong, but I always have pushed through it with the most beneficial way for the guest and my workplace.
Pros
25% off meals
Great work envirnment
Fry Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  HamiltonNovember 15, 2014
food prep
fry cook
dishwasher
responsible for opening and closing
started at 16 yrs old and have been at Jack's so almost 2 years
Coming to Whistler from Feb 15 - Aug 31/15, then to college in Sept.
okay
line and prep cook (Current Employee) –  torontoSeptember 7, 2014
-i work 5day a week but not enough hour
-i learned how to be a team player
-my co-workers where rely fun to work with
Great place to work, and fantastic team to work with.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 11, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in and walking around the restaurant and cleaning tables when guests were done. I was also responsible for clearing dirty dishes off the tables when guests were done eating, and serving food to guests.
I was responsible for maintaining cleanliness in the restaurant and helping my co-workers with anything they needed help with.
Corporate team work oriented restaurant with high standards
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto ONApril 16, 2014
Really enjoyed working there. Had fun and made decent wages. Built life long relationships and honed my sales, leadership and interpersonal skills.
Pros
great people
Cons
long odd hours
Fun fast paced environment
Marketing Manager/ Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2014
Great Company to work for. High energy, Sales driven industry.

4.2