JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to start service career
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2015
Fun place to start your service career. Lots of great people to work with and management is always great.
The politics within the brand could be frustrating at times and the inconsistency in business levels would also make it hard sometimes
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow business levels
Fun professional atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 15, 2016
Absolutely love my coworkers. Enjoy the fast paced environment. Love interacting with the public. Excellent teamwork.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long hours with minimal breaks
fun workplace, lack of hours
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 15, 2016
typical day at work:
Busy and organized.

learned:
How to rotate sections.
How to work with the general public.

Management:
Sometimes unreasonable.
Overall friendly.

Co-workers:
Friendly and fun.

Best & Worst:
Co-workers (B)
No guaranteed weekly hours. (W)
Rotating sections so servers are happy.(W)
Fun place to work and learn
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 6, 2016
It's a great place to learn about the industry and get your feet wet. You must be able to learn fast and adapt quickly to the culture of the restaurant or you might sink but there are always veterans to help you out.
Fun and productive place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 30, 2015
I do enjoy working at Jack Astors but am ultamitely looking for employment in the nursing field for my future career. This job is a fun high spirited place to work and brings out my bubblely personality.
Decent place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 23, 2013
- arrive and prep the food I will require for the day
- I've learned how to assess what will be needed for the day and prep what is needed in a limited amount of time
- I've had a good experience with my management team
- I work with a large and diverse group of people
- adjusting to new standards every few weeks is the hardest part of the job
- my coworkers are the most enjoyable part of the job
benefits
Cons
few hours
A very warm-hearted team to work with.
Busser/Host (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2015
Everyone at Jack's from co-workers to management is extremely kind and supportive. Management sees you as more than just an employee, they see you as a person with goals in life that they understand may not be within SIRcorp, and it's respected. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the occasional moments I get to talk to my co-workers and joke around. Not only that, but my co-workers are appreciative of me. They thank me all the time for doing my job, and it makes me feel great. The general manager is absolutely phenomenal at hiring good people. That's the thing about Jack's, it's professional but not formal. Letting loose a little bit is actually encouraged! Being yourself is encouraged! I love that. The hardest part about my job is the fact that I'm not getting enough hours and that I get sent home early a lot of days because I'm not required; however that isn't specific to Jack's, it's just the nature of the industry. If I was getting enough hours, I would not be on here looking for another job.
Pros
wonderful staff and management.
Cons
not enough hours.
Jack Astors Review
Busser (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes bringing food to tables as well as cleaning off tables that people have left. As well as keeping the dining room and bar clean. Cleaning up spills is an often occurrence. I learned how to expand my people skills deal with difficult guests in a professional and polite manner. Management is great. I once did not expect to work late and was going to miss my bus to another city and the managers let me off early. Hardest part is dealing with unsatisfied guests. Most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and the people you work with. All friendly people who you are sure to get along with..
Pros
free meals
Cons
late hours
Fun & Efficient Work Environment
Dish Washer and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 3, 2013
I have learned a lot about teamwork from my time employed with Jack Astor's and my experience working in a kitchen. At this restaurant, management understood how important is was to have a friendly, responsible and efficient workplace environment. Although they were able to achieve this general understanding amongst their employees, stations around the kitchen and floor would neglect certain duties knowing that the closing dishwasher would have them completed by the end of the shift.
The job title did not give the description/duties justice. Being a full-time dishwasher, I found my coworkers around the kitchen develop reliance on me, giving me reason to take initiative and finish duties early to clean the kitchen/equipment and prep food to keep the restaurant and service efficiently running.
The job included long hours and fairly hard, fast paced work that began afflicting with my personal life.
Pros
great coworkers and management, free meals, great energy within the work environment
Cons
long hours, dirty work
Great People and Orignally a great environment
Cocktail Waitress/ Bartender/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Originally a fantastic place to work with a great management team and staff. Moved up to a supervisor role, however went back to serving and bartending as it was better for me financially. The hardest part would be the 12 hour shifts on the patio in the heat. The best part would be meeting new people everyday and building regular guests!
Pros
great tips and guests
Good/bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
I wouldn't say, "to" or "not to" apply at front st jack astors as everyone had a different experience. Days were hard and the managers were the fakest people ever.
Pros
quitting
Cons
long hours, bad managers
great resterant with alot of fun
Fryer Cook (Current Employee) –  toronto,ONJanuary 14, 2015
great job with alot perks perfect place if you love to cook management is perfect very on you to inquire success what you would learn in average day is that nobody orders the same thing everytime the hardest part of the job is to refill on stock and dealling with the orders when they pile up the most enjoyable part is working the people that im working with.
Pros
great hours and people
Cons
not enuff hours
The co-workers are very rude and are never happy.
Server (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QCOctober 19, 2012
I honestly never look forward to a day working at Jack Astor's. All the co-workers never have a smile on their face and it really puts everyone down. I ask myself why they even work as waiters/waitresses when part of their job includes making the guests feel good, they don't even feel good themselves. The management wasn't bad however. The bosses were very reasonable. I learn't that you shouldn't work with people who bring you down. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the co-workers and the most enjoyable was talking to the clients, suggesting meals, taking, orders, etc.
Pros
the job itself
Cons
the co-workers
Best Job
Hostesses (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day working for Jack Astors is always new and exciting. It is spent talking to guests, accommodating for certain situations, and always thinking on your feet. I have learned so much from being an employee at Jack's. It ranges from people skills to many other qualities Jack's has gifted me with. The hardest part of my job, has been problem solving when things go wrong, but I always have pushed through it with the most beneficial way for the guest and my workplace.
Pros
25% off meals
fast paced ,disorganised,dirty pooor quallity of product
Pantry chef (Former Employee) –  newmarketMay 28, 2013
Some really good people to work with,lot's of good times,however verry unsanitary kitchen one of the dirtyist i have worked,the managment to worker ratio is 3 to one,and the management dose verry little except confuse people, can never get the help you need,i.e. thay sit in office during rush. The B.O.H. is costently stressed due to there pollicy of not working more than 35 hours per week,thise causes to mutch cofusion reflecting on product and service.
Pros
some really great people
Cons
lack of pay and hours
Jack Astor's is the best joint in town
Expeditor, Server (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 15, 2012
Get excited that work is going to start. It is going to be another busy day. The people you work with are all in it with you. You learn to be part of a team and to help make it work. Management is there for you only so much as they can be. The co-workers are just like you, trying to make a living and have a good time. Hardest part of the job is the stress and human error. The most enjoyable part of the job is hitting up the bar when you finish your shift.
Pros
half off meal excluding steaks.
Cons
demanding hours
Energetic work environment, always making guests happy
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 3, 2013
-take orders for guests
-bring food and drinks to my tables as well as others
-helped clean other tables as well as my own
-I learned to ask for help, and to help others, and don't rush because that leads to making more mistakes
-management and co-workers were always great to work with, became a family
-hardest part of the job was keeping up and not to get flustered when its busy
-most enjoyable part of the job was joking around with the guest as well as co-workers
Productive busy environment to work in
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Being a hostess you can get bored very easy and its demotivating to work but as a server you can engage into your customer satisfaction and it makes for a fun, speedy night.
not much lots of people
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  woodbrigde ontDecember 7, 2012
Kitchen Manager, Jack Astor’s
Employ an efficient, high energy and professional approach to store operations management in order to:
Promote guest satisfaction for steady repeat business.
Coach schedule staff to maximize levels of performance.
Monitor for consistent sanitization, food quality and preparation.
Purchase and control food inventory with attention to budget guidelines
Great environment!
Chef de cuisine, Plongeur (Former Employee) –  Boisbriand, QCJune 25, 2012
Great place to work hard and have fun at the same time.
An extremely team oriented job.
Deliscious menu
Great job to creat a base cooking skill.
All round amazing first job.