JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews

Worst place I have ever worked.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2016
Would never advise anyone to work at this establishment or even eat there. You work long hours, some people in authority treat others differently due to their race. Have a friend who got promoted and the members of the team who lead are making it as difficult as they can for him, when they should be supporting him. His superior schedules him for some unfair times with as much as 4-5 hrs to sleep before heading back to work. Both him and another friend of mine were going through training for their promotions and were treated quite horribly and made to work twice as hard while others were told to just observe. Shame .
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Long hours, procedures which don't work, racist management
Authentic and fun place with a lounge and dining area, patio and a shuffleboard table.
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
Shifts were very busy and dutiful. I gained fantastic customer service and time management skills. I also learned effective communication skills.

Managers were fun and caring but need to improve on scheduling needs.

Altogether, the staff members felt like family members and we all helped each other without any conflict.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring that meals were exactly how each guest required it to be.

The most enjoyable part was getting to know each guest and creating regulars according to experience.
Pros
Discounted meals, health benefits, gym benefits, events
Cons
Not enough hours, overstaffed
Work Life
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 July 2016
Even though some days where longer than others I was surrounded by amazing coworkers and management team. I learned and gained self confidence with multi tasking and people interactions. Jack Astors is a fun but also serious place to work we had to make sure we worked as a team and helped each other out. I gained a lot of team work skills with the 11 months I was there.
Productive and very fun place to work at.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
My typical day of being a hostess at Jack Astor's would be checking to see if there are any reservations coming in right away and making sure tables are ready for when the guest(s) have arrived then greet guests as they come in and seat them where their happiest. If servers are unaware their table has been sat, i inform them and let them know they have a guest. Servers must have to check their section and make sure they have everything up to standards and have a manager sign it before we can seat the servers section. If it's signed and ready to go we can seat that section right away. Managers check in with employees and are helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the guests and making sure they are taking care of the best we can.
Pros
Discounts off any meal.
Cons
Not enough hours
Pretty good
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
It's pretty good although the weekend shifts can get quite long and you don't really get a good amount of break time in between. The managers are really chill and you'll get along with them easilly, theyre quite likable. Overall it's a good place to work if you're OK with working long shifts every once in a while.
Pros
Nice people, good managment, good pay/tipout
Cons
Long weekend shifts
Fun place to work and learn
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 May 2016
It's a great place to learn about the industry and get your feet wet. You must be able to learn fast and adapt quickly to the culture of the restaurant or you might sink but there are always veterans to help you out.
Fun place to start service career
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2015
Fun place to start your service career. Lots of great people to work with and management is always great.
The politics within the brand could be frustrating at times and the inconsistency in business levels would also make it hard sometimes
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow business levels
fun workplace, lack of hours
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 February 2016
typical day at work:
Busy and organized.

learned:
How to rotate sections.
How to work with the general public.

Management:
Sometimes unreasonable.
Overall friendly.

Co-workers:
Friendly and fun.

Best & Worst:
Co-workers (B)
No guaranteed weekly hours. (W)
Rotating sections so servers are happy.(W)
Fun professional atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 March 2016
Absolutely love my coworkers. Enjoy the fast paced environment. Love interacting with the public. Excellent teamwork.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long hours with minimal breaks
productive and fun place to work
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 May 2016
In general is a great place to work for. very fast paced work environment and fun makes your time go by fast. you learn a lot about customer services and how important it is to meet customers expectations.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
long breaks
Fun & Efficient Work Environment
Dish Washer and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 July 2013
I have learned a lot about teamwork from my time employed with Jack Astor's and my experience working in a kitchen. At this restaurant, management understood how important is was to have a friendly, responsible and efficient workplace environment. Although they were able to achieve this general understanding amongst their employees, stations around the kitchen and floor would neglect certain duties knowing that the closing dishwasher would have them completed by the end of the shift.
The job title did not give the description/duties justice. Being a full-time dishwasher, I found my coworkers around the kitchen develop reliance on me, giving me reason to take initiative and finish duties early to clean the kitchen/equipment and prep food to keep the restaurant and service efficiently running.
The job included long hours and fairly hard, fast paced work that began afflicting with my personal life.
Pros
Great Coworkers and Management, Free Meals, Great Energy Within the Work Environment
Cons
Long Hours, Dirty Work
Fun and productive place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 November 2015
I do enjoy working at Jack Astors but am ultamitely looking for employment in the nursing field for my future career. This job is a fun high spirited place to work and brings out my bubblely personality.
Decent place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 May 2013
- arrive and prep the food I will require for the day
- I've learned how to assess what will be needed for the day and prep what is needed in a limited amount of time
- I've had a good experience with my management team
- I work with a large and diverse group of people
- adjusting to new standards every few weeks is the hardest part of the job
- my coworkers are the most enjoyable part of the job
Benefits
Cons
Few hours
A very warm-hearted team to work with.
Busser/Host (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2015
Everyone at Jack's from co-workers to management is extremely kind and supportive. Management sees you as more than just an employee, they see you as a person with goals in life that they understand may not be within SIRcorp, and it's respected. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the occasional moments I get to talk to my co-workers and joke around. Not only that, but my co-workers are appreciative of me. They thank me all the time for doing my job, and it makes me feel great. The general manager is absolutely phenomenal at hiring good people. That's the thing about Jack's, it's professional but not formal. Letting loose a little bit is actually encouraged! Being yourself is encouraged! I love that. The hardest part about my job is the fact that I'm not getting enough hours and that I get sent home early a lot of days because I'm not required; however that isn't specific to Jack's, it's just the nature of the industry. If I was getting enough hours, I would not be on here looking for another job.
Pros
Wonderful staff and management.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Jack Astors Review
Busser (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON16 January 2015
A typical day at work includes bringing food to tables as well as cleaning off tables that people have left. As well as keeping the dining room and bar clean. Cleaning up spills is an often occurrence. I learned how to expand my people skills deal with difficult guests in a professional and polite manner. Management is great. I once did not expect to work late and was going to miss my bus to another city and the managers let me off early. Hardest part is dealing with unsatisfied guests. Most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and the people you work with. All friendly people who you are sure to get along with..
Pros
free meals
Cons
late hours
The co-workers are very rude and are never happy.
Server (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC19 October 2012
I honestly never look forward to a day working at Jack Astor's. All the co-workers never have a smile on their face and it really puts everyone down. I ask myself why they even work as waiters/waitresses when part of their job includes making the guests feel good, they don't even feel good themselves. The management wasn't bad however. The bosses were very reasonable. I learn't that you shouldn't work with people who bring you down. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the co-workers and the most enjoyable was talking to the clients, suggesting meals, taking, orders, etc.
Pros
the job itself
Cons
the co-workers
Great People and Orignally a great environment
Cocktail Waitress/ Bartender/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  North York, ON6 February 2015
Originally a fantastic place to work with a great management team and staff. Moved up to a supervisor role, however went back to serving and bartending as it was better for me financially. The hardest part would be the 12 hour shifts on the patio in the heat. The best part would be meeting new people everyday and building regular guests!
Pros
great tips and guests
fast paced ,disorganised,dirty pooor quallity of product
Pantry chef (Former Employee) –  newmarket28 May 2013
Some really good people to work with,lot's of good times,however verry unsanitary kitchen one of the dirtyist i have worked,the managment to worker ratio is 3 to one,and the management dose verry little except confuse people, can never get the help you need,i.e. thay sit in office during rush. The B.O.H. is costently stressed due to there pollicy of not working more than 35 hours per week,thise causes to mutch cofusion reflecting on product and service.
Pros
Some really great people
Cons
lack of pay and hours
Jack Astor's is the best joint in town
Expeditor, Server (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 September 2012
Get excited that work is going to start. It is going to be another busy day. The people you work with are all in it with you. You learn to be part of a team and to help make it work. Management is there for you only so much as they can be. The co-workers are just like you, trying to make a living and have a good time. Hardest part of the job is the stress and human error. The most enjoyable part of the job is hitting up the bar when you finish your shift.
Pros
half off meal excluding steaks.
Cons
demanding hours
Energetic work environment, always making guests happy
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 June 2013
-take orders for guests
-bring food and drinks to my tables as well as others
-helped clean other tables as well as my own
-I learned to ask for help, and to help others, and don't rush because that leads to making more mistakes
-management and co-workers were always great to work with, became a family
-hardest part of the job was keeping up and not to get flustered when its busy
-most enjoyable part of the job was joking around with the guest as well as co-workers

4.2