JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews

fun place to work at.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
i have been working for Jack Astor's(Downtown location) over a year now. I really like working at this place. The staff is really good and my Managers are really nice. My co-workers are very cooperative. I enjoy working here.
Pros
friendly staff
Fast-pace, fun place to work
Hostess/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
A typical day at work would be very busy, always cleaning or doing something. Meeting a lot of new people daily. The hardest part of the job was getting to know each and every employee on a personal level because there were so many of us!
my first job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2017
it was my first job so they took it slow with me but then again i knew from the start that job wasn't for me. the management was good but it was awkward and uncomfortable for because i was new and i only knew one person. the hardest part of the job was working long hours of a job i already hated in less than 2 weeks! But hard work pays off.
Cons
long hours, no breaks
Great Environment with excellent training
Server (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON3 January 2017
Jack Astor's has an excellent training program that supports your success from new employees to veteran servers who have been with the company for years. It is a very welcoming place to work at and has flexible hours that are perfect, as most employees are students.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
occasionally long days
great environment/ closes to late
LINE COOK/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
jack Astor's was lots of fun to work at management was great staff was friendly, but the hours were insanely hectic and because of the huge amount of turnovers those of us who were there had to pick up the slack, which meant that every thing else not relating to the job suffers. most leave because of the fact that they're not paid enough for the amount of work they have to put in and how late the restaurant closes.
Pros
lots of room for growth
Cons
no life outside work
productive work area
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador7 December 2016
was a great place to work just a lack of hours and couldn't afford to keep working at that location. great staff, friendly work environment.
great location for business.
Leadership and Belief
Bartender/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  5051 Yonge St.10 November 2016
Jack Astor's allowed me the ability to progress professionally and personally. This possibly is the best job I've ever had for the teamwork and knowledge I received.
Pros
Teamwork
Pretty good
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
It's pretty good although the weekend shifts can get quite long and you don't really get a good amount of break time in between. The managers are really chill and you'll get along with them easilly, theyre quite likable. Overall it's a good place to work if you're OK with working long shifts every once in a while.
Pros
Nice people, good managment, good pay/tipout
Cons
Long weekend shifts
Worst place I have ever worked.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2016
Would never advise anyone to work at this establishment or even eat there. You work long hours, some people in authority treat others differently due to their race. Have a friend who got promoted and the members of the team who lead are making it as difficult as they can for him, when they should be supporting him. His superior schedules him for some unfair times with as much as 4-5 hrs to sleep before heading back to work. Both him and another friend of mine were going through training for their promotions and were treated quite horribly and made to work twice as hard while others were told to just observe. Shame .
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Long hours, procedures which don't work, racist management
Work Life
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 July 2016
Even though some days where longer than others I was surrounded by amazing coworkers and management team. I learned and gained self confidence with multi tasking and people interactions. Jack Astors is a fun but also serious place to work we had to make sure we worked as a team and helped each other out. I gained a lot of team work skills with the 11 months I was there.
Productive and very fun place to work at.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
My typical day of being a hostess at Jack Astor's would be checking to see if there are any reservations coming in right away and making sure tables are ready for when the guest(s) have arrived then greet guests as they come in and seat them where their happiest. If servers are unaware their table has been sat, i inform them and let them know they have a guest. Servers must have to check their section and make sure they have everything up to standards and have a manager sign it before we can seat the servers section. If it's signed and ready to go we can seat that section right away. Managers check in with employees and are helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the guests and making sure they are taking care of the best we can.
Pros
Discounts off any meal.
Cons
Not enough hours
Authentic and fun place with a lounge and dining area, patio and a shuffleboard table.
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
Shifts were very busy and dutiful. I gained fantastic customer service and time management skills. I also learned effective communication skills.

Managers were fun and caring but need to improve on scheduling needs.

Altogether, the staff members felt like family members and we all helped each other without any conflict.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring that meals were exactly how each guest required it to be.

The most enjoyable part was getting to know each guest and creating regulars according to experience.
Pros
Discounted meals, health benefits, gym benefits, events
Cons
Not enough hours, overstaffed
productive and fun place to work
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 May 2016
In general is a great place to work for. very fast paced work environment and fun makes your time go by fast. you learn a lot about customer services and how important it is to meet customers expectations.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
long breaks
Fun place to work and learn
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 May 2016
It's a great place to learn about the industry and get your feet wet. You must be able to learn fast and adapt quickly to the culture of the restaurant or you might sink but there are always veterans to help you out.
Fun professional atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 March 2016
Absolutely love my coworkers. Enjoy the fast paced environment. Love interacting with the public. Excellent teamwork.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long hours with minimal breaks
fun workplace, lack of hours
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 February 2016
typical day at work:
Busy and organized.

learned:
How to rotate sections.
How to work with the general public.

Management:
Sometimes unreasonable.
Overall friendly.

Co-workers:
Friendly and fun.

Best & Worst:
Co-workers (B)
No guaranteed weekly hours. (W)
Rotating sections so servers are happy.(W)
Fun and productive place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 November 2015
I do enjoy working at Jack Astors but am ultamitely looking for employment in the nursing field for my future career. This job is a fun high spirited place to work and brings out my bubblely personality.
Fun place to start service career
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2015
Fun place to start your service career. Lots of great people to work with and management is always great.
The politics within the brand could be frustrating at times and the inconsistency in business levels would also make it hard sometimes
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow business levels
Good/bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2015
I wouldn't say, "to" or "not to" apply at front st jack astors as everyone had a different experience. Days were hard and the managers were the fakest people ever.
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Long hours, bad managers
Productive busy environment to work in
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 February 2015
Being a hostess you can get bored very easy and its demotivating to work but as a server you can engage into your customer satisfaction and it makes for a fun, speedy night.

4.2