JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews

Worst place I have ever worked.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 9, 2016
Would never advise anyone to work at this establishment or even eat there. You work long hours, some people in authority treat others differently due to their race. Have a friend who got promoted and the members of the team who lead are making it as difficult as they can for him, when they should be supporting him. His superior schedules him for some unfair times with as much as 4-5 hrs to sleep before heading back to work. Both him and another friend of mine were going through training for their promotions and were treated quite horribly and made to work twice as hard while others were told to just observe. Shame .
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Long hours, procedures which don't work, racist management
Authentic and fun place with a lounge and dining area, patio and a shuffleboard table.
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
Shifts were very busy and dutiful. I gained fantastic customer service and time management skills. I also learned effective communication skills.

Managers were fun and caring but need to improve on scheduling needs.

Altogether, the staff members felt like family members and we all helped each other without any conflict.

The hardest part of the job was ensuring that meals were exactly how each guest required it to be.

The most enjoyable part was getting to know each guest and creating regulars according to experience.
Pros
Discounted meals, health benefits, gym benefits, events
Cons
Not enough hours, overstaffed
Productive and very fun place to work at.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2016
My typical day of being a hostess at Jack Astor's would be checking to see if there are any reservations coming in right away and making sure tables are ready for when the guest(s) have arrived then greet guests as they come in and seat them where their happiest. If servers are unaware their table has been sat, i inform them and let them know they have a guest. Servers must have to check their section and make sure they have everything up to standards and have a manager sign it before we can seat the servers section. If it's signed and ready to go we can seat that section right away. Managers check in with employees and are helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the guests and making sure they are taking care of the best we can.
Pros
Discounts off any meal.
Cons
Not enough hours
productive and fun place to work
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 25, 2016
In general is a great place to work for. very fast paced work environment and fun makes your time go by fast. you learn a lot about customer services and how important it is to meet customers expectations.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
long breaks
Fun place to work and learn
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 6, 2016
It's a great place to learn about the industry and get your feet wet. You must be able to learn fast and adapt quickly to the culture of the restaurant or you might sink but there are always veterans to help you out.
fun workplace, lack of hours
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSFebruary 15, 2016
typical day at work:
Busy and organized.

learned:
How to rotate sections.
How to work with the general public.

Management:
Sometimes unreasonable.
Overall friendly.

Co-workers:
Friendly and fun.

Best & Worst:
Co-workers (B)
No guaranteed weekly hours. (W)
Rotating sections so servers are happy.(W)
Fun professional atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 15, 2016
Absolutely love my coworkers. Enjoy the fast paced environment. Love interacting with the public. Excellent teamwork.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
long hours with minimal breaks
Fun place to start service career
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2015
Fun place to start your service career. Lots of great people to work with and management is always great.
The politics within the brand could be frustrating at times and the inconsistency in business levels would also make it hard sometimes
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow business levels
Fun and productive place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 30, 2015
I do enjoy working at Jack Astors but am ultamitely looking for employment in the nursing field for my future career. This job is a fun high spirited place to work and brings out my bubblely personality.
Great People and Orignally a great environment
Cocktail Waitress/ Bartender/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Originally a fantastic place to work with a great management team and staff. Moved up to a supervisor role, however went back to serving and bartending as it was better for me financially. The hardest part would be the 12 hour shifts on the patio in the heat. The best part would be meeting new people everyday and building regular guests!
Pros
great tips and guests
Jack Astors Review
Busser (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes bringing food to tables as well as cleaning off tables that people have left. As well as keeping the dining room and bar clean. Cleaning up spills is an often occurrence. I learned how to expand my people skills deal with difficult guests in a professional and polite manner. Management is great. I once did not expect to work late and was going to miss my bus to another city and the managers let me off early. Hardest part is dealing with unsatisfied guests. Most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and the people you work with. All friendly people who you are sure to get along with..
Pros
free meals
Cons
late hours
Best Job
Hostesses (Current Employee) –  London, OntarioJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day working for Jack Astors is always new and exciting. It is spent talking to guests, accommodating for certain situations, and always thinking on your feet. I have learned so much from being an employee at Jack's. It ranges from people skills to many other qualities Jack's has gifted me with. The hardest part of my job, has been problem solving when things go wrong, but I always have pushed through it with the most beneficial way for the guest and my workplace.
Pros
25% off meals
great resterant with alot of fun
Fryer Cook (Current Employee) –  toronto,ONJanuary 14, 2015
great job with alot perks perfect place if you love to cook management is perfect very on you to inquire success what you would learn in average day is that nobody orders the same thing everytime the hardest part of the job is to refill on stock and dealling with the orders when they pile up the most enjoyable part is working the people that im working with.
Pros
great hours and people
Cons
not enuff hours
The co-workers are very rude and are never happy.
Server (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QCOctober 19, 2012
I honestly never look forward to a day working at Jack Astor's. All the co-workers never have a smile on their face and it really puts everyone down. I ask myself why they even work as waiters/waitresses when part of their job includes making the guests feel good, they don't even feel good themselves. The management wasn't bad however. The bosses were very reasonable. I learn't that you shouldn't work with people who bring you down. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the co-workers and the most enjoyable was talking to the clients, suggesting meals, taking, orders, etc.
Pros
the job itself
Cons
the co-workers
Jack Astor's is the best joint in town
Expeditor, Server (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 15, 2012
Get excited that work is going to start. It is going to be another busy day. The people you work with are all in it with you. You learn to be part of a team and to help make it work. Management is there for you only so much as they can be. The co-workers are just like you, trying to make a living and have a good time. Hardest part of the job is the stress and human error. The most enjoyable part of the job is hitting up the bar when you finish your shift.
Pros
half off meal excluding steaks.
Cons
demanding hours
fast paced ,disorganised,dirty pooor quallity of product
Pantry chef (Former Employee) –  newmarketMay 28, 2013
Some really good people to work with,lot's of good times,however verry unsanitary kitchen one of the dirtyist i have worked,the managment to worker ratio is 3 to one,and the management dose verry little except confuse people, can never get the help you need,i.e. thay sit in office during rush. The B.O.H. is costently stressed due to there pollicy of not working more than 35 hours per week,thise causes to mutch cofusion reflecting on product and service.
Pros
some really great people
Cons
lack of pay and hours
Energetic work environment, always making guests happy
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 3, 2013
-take orders for guests
-bring food and drinks to my tables as well as others
-helped clean other tables as well as my own
-I learned to ask for help, and to help others, and don't rush because that leads to making more mistakes
-management and co-workers were always great to work with, became a family
-hardest part of the job was keeping up and not to get flustered when its busy
-most enjoyable part of the job was joking around with the guest as well as co-workers
Great place to work, and fantastic team to work with.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 11, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in and walking around the restaurant and cleaning tables when guests were done. I was also responsible for clearing dirty dishes off the tables when guests were done eating, and serving food to guests.
I was responsible for maintaining cleanliness in the restaurant and helping my co-workers with anything they needed help with.
not much lots of people
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  woodbrigde ontDecember 7, 2012
Kitchen Manager, Jack Astor’s
Employ an efficient, high energy and professional approach to store operations management in order to:
Promote guest satisfaction for steady repeat business.
Coach schedule staff to maximize levels of performance.
Monitor for consistent sanitization, food quality and preparation.
Purchase and control food inventory with attention to budget guidelines
Exciting, fun, fast-paced and never boring
Hostess / Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioNovember 12, 2012
A job where the work never ended in one of Scarborough's busiest restaurants, I managed hostess's on a part-time basis while also filling in for servers when the night became too busy. With thousands of customers per day, the task of co-ordinating and organizing a fullhouse from open to close was an exciting and challenging aspect of the job.
Pros
amazing co-workers, atmosphere, food