JACK ASTOR'S Employee Reviews

Fun & Fast Paced
Customer Service, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 November 2017
Fun environment, working with guests, working different events held by the company. Co-workers bond like a family, great experience and lots to learn.
fun work place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 November 2017
great work place and great management team. fun environment and great coworkers. A busy location and always keeping us on our toes. Management has great attention to detail as well.
Staff is good and friendly
Fryer cook (Current Employee) –  North York, ON15 October 2017
Came to insight about how restaurants work here in Canada as i'm an International student and now as I am working as cook I feel confident about me and learning many things.
Pros
Staff was good and friendly, helped in training me on stations.
Cons
Salary, Lunch, management
Great Kitchen Managers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 September 2017
The kitchen managers from when I worked there were top notch. One has been promoted within the company, but I know the other is still there and I like to drop by.
The staff get to know you and it gets grindy but at the end of the day it's not bad at all.
I cooked on the line and learned a lot, but I knew the industry wasn't for me.
There's a lot of pressure on you to make a lot of different dishes quickly, prioritize and stay organized. Call for help whenever you need it, but there was always someone there to help and bail you out when things got tough.
Working here helped develop my work ethic and improve my self confidence. I owe a lot to my fantastic managers.
Pros
Good managers and staff
Cons
Minimum wage, high pressure
Cool work
Line cook (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 September 2017
Good work environment for a chef. Worked with a lot of cool people, and got to make some good food. Enjoyed my time here, but had to leave for personal reasons.
dish washer and kitchen helper
Bus Boy (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 September 2017
I would work at 7 am and getting ready to start the dish washer machine and clean front of the restaunt. I also help perpare some foods to be cook later.
I get to learn how dish washing do and what can't do and also make sure it does not get plug in from inside the machine and I learn how to perpare foods and getting it ready to cook.
The staff there are fun and work hards and the company have staff party and give awards to those that did really well at work.
The hardest is keeping up the demand for dishes and pot and pans for the cook. It can get very busy but we all work together to do awesome jobs as a team
I enjoy being able to help out and have fun working hard and fast but still can have fun no matter what..
Jack Astor's is a great place to work
Hostess and server (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke Ontario13 September 2017
I loved working at Jack Astor's . My fellow staff members were great I made lots of new friends.
My only problem was that there was no advancement opportunities. I never got one raise to show there appreciation of my hard work and loyalty to the company.
Pros
Discounted lunches.
Cons
To many split shifts
great
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON9 July 2017
its awesome at jack astors, such a great friendly nviornment that everyone feels welcome in no matter if youve been working there for 2 days or 2 years .
Good atmosphere
Server, Bartender, Cocktail waitress (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 June 2017
Entertaining workplace, it is a good experience dealing with different types of people and learning how to handle different stressful situations. Working in a team makes the job much easier and fun
Pros
very good money
Cons
very long hours
Jacks
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON31 May 2017
i have been working with this company for about 3 years now.
wonderful people to work with so you really never want to leave.

Management can use a little more communication. plus have a little more acknowledgement for the people working the hardest or doing more work and on daily bases.

the most enjoyable part of this job is all the friendly guest that you are able to come across and talk to.

Want to know more about JACK ASTOR'S?

Ask a question
the hardest part about the job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 May 2017
The hardest part about the job was being able to deal with angry and upset guests and still being positive. Sometimes it was hard to keep a smile on your face when your employees and guests are getting angry but you must always stay positive.
Good at times
Manager/Server (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 May 2017
Depending on who your managers are and if they like you will depend on how well it goes. I have seen a lot of managers and employees and if the managers didnt like you, you would be the short end of the stick
Fun atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON18 April 2017
Absolutely great atmosphere, great people. Some of my most valued friendships have come from here. The "restaurant lifestyle" of drinking, social atmosphere and late nights is very evident at this job.
Overall Good
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 April 2017
Nice people and atmosphere, however it did not work out because of me and my job. Personally, it was very painstaking to work as a dishwasher and i would much prefer working in a costumer service job interacting with customers and helping them first and foremost.
Pros
The people and environment
Cons
Long hours and physical labour
Pretty interesting place to work
Line cook and Kitchen supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON31 March 2017
I can't specifically speak for all Jack Astors, but my experience was amazing for the first couple of year. Up until the last year or so it became a very poor and hard environment to work in. The Managers in the store were switched around almost semi annually which made it a very difficult place to work. I really enjoyed my time working for the company though all-in-all, it was a very fast paced out going family which was a nice touch. The food was also very amazing :
Pros
Fast paced/ Yearly menu changes
Cons
N/a
Fun place to start learning how to cook!
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 March 2017
It's a very different busy workplace, with weird schedules. Either very long or not long enough. Always worth it, the people are great and the work is always different!
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Long hours, not able to switch shifts
fun place to work at.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
i have been working for Jack Astor's(Downtown location) over a year now. I really like working at this place. The staff is really good and my Managers are really nice. My co-workers are very cooperative. I enjoy working here.
Pros
friendly staff
kitchen
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 February 2017
great people, easy work. gets very busy at times, and can be overwhelming but easy to overcome if you have experience management was my downfall and my reason for leaving
Pros
50% off
Cons
long hrs and uneducated management
Fast-pace, fun place to work
Hostess/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
A typical day at work would be very busy, always cleaning or doing something. Meeting a lot of new people daily. The hardest part of the job was getting to know each and every employee on a personal level because there were so many of us!
my first job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2017
it was my first job so they took it slow with me but then again i knew from the start that job wasn't for me. the management was good but it was awkward and uncomfortable for because i was new and i only knew one person. the hardest part of the job was working long hours of a job i already hated in less than 2 weeks! But hard work pays off.
Cons
long hours, no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JACK ASTOR'S. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2