JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of construction such as heavy civil, structural, marine construction and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right.
We are seeking a Marine Engineer/Mechanic to join our growing team.
Our Marine Engineer is responsible for the overall management, repair and maintenance of our barges. Your goal is to ensure that the overall servicing of the barges be completed on schedule, on budget, and in full compliance with international standards with regards to operational safety and ocean pollution prevention.
- Experience as a Marine Engineer and/ or Barge Repair Mechanic
- Marine welding experience
- A Marine Engineering Diploma or related certification by a recognized institution.
- An working knowledge of hydraulic systems and repairs
- An working knowledge of diesel systems and repairs
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs barges
- Repairs and replace vessel rigging systems
- Assists with vessel haul outs and scraping and painting of vessel hulls
- Establishes and maintains a preventive maintenance program to determine the seasonal needs for repairs or adjustments.
- Operates hand and power tools associated with marine engine and equipment repair.
- Performs fabrication of equipment.
- Purchases parts and supplies
- Writes specifications for and recommends purchase of marine equipment.
- Undertakes regular inspections of the work and agrees on any corrective measures to ensure compliance with specifications and standards.
- Liaises with the Project Manager and on all design issues found during execution of the work.
- Prepares detailed production plans for the execution of barge repair tasking complete with all mandatory inspection points and other requirements.
- Takes on other responsibilities as directed by management
What the work is like at JJM
Our Marine Engineers can work on our local sites or be posted to sites within British Columbia. Some travel many be required to accommodate repairs and servicing related to equipment issues on local sites.
A Marine Engineer will maintain, repair and service the below listed barges:
3 Hopper Barges
3 Spud Barges
3 Flat Barges
The standard work week for Marine Engineer is 40 hours (8 hours a day, 5 days a week). As with many careers in construction, there are peak periods that will require you to work overtime. The number of hours you work each week depends on the site. As a Marine Engineer, you will work outdoors, often in noisy conditions. Our Marine Engineer will work closely with other equipment operators and with ground crew.
Being a successful Marine Engineer requires these critical factors:
- Strong communication skills
- Maintenance and servicing experience on marine equipment
- Working knowledge of heavy duty marine equipment controls, engines and systems
- Welding experience
- A valid drivers’ license
Additional requirements that would add to your success:
- The ability to demonstrate high level reporting skills in a project context
- Strong organization skills are essential
- Communication skills, both written and verbal are mandatory.
- Civil construction experience will be considered a definite asset
- Working with others
If you believe you could be a fit for this posting. Please email your most updated resume with the subject line: Marine Engineer