J.R. Simplot Employee Reviews

It is a okay job
Form Line Operator (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WA26 November 2016
J.R. Simplot is okay to work for. It has excellent job security for the simple fact that everyone needs food. However, there is a lot of overtime and it not unusual for a person to seven 12 hour shifts in a row before they get a day off. When an issue arises that requires management or HR help it is near impossible to get help.
Pros
good job security
Cons
poor management
Nice co workers
Ammonia Refrigeration Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, ND10 February 2017
Schedule and work life balance could improve.

Plant could be updated more often to accomdate employees

Machinery is often times not working properly causing issues for shifts.

Insureacne isn't great
Awesome place to work, great environment
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Memphis, AR23 June 2016
On a daily basis, I would do payroll, go over benefits with employees, attend meetings and making sure everything ran smoothly. I would also check attendance and report to shift manangers making sure every team member was at work and/or calling the temp service to get workers to fill in.
Pros
Free lunches and
Cons
Walking around the freezing warehouse to do inspections.
Horible place to work if you like days off
Packaging Operator (Current Employee) –  Caldwell, ID 8360712 June 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There is no home life due to forced overtime and poor management. The "HR" is even worse. They claim to help the employee yet wont stay long enough to speak with night shift employees. If employed by this company you will feel like a slave. Constant forced overtime with no willingness to work with you. Say goodbye to having plans.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Monitored breaks, poor benifits, no time off, poor management.....
Great
General Laborer/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, ID26 August 2016
I went to work everyday an did my job an got along very well with my other co-workers. If I had trouble with anything there was always someone around to help out. The hardest part was lifting more than 50lbs.
Ok place to work but didnt like the fact that they were Union based.
Flo/Talley (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, ND30 April 2016
Busy days on the dock with constant customer trucks to be loaded with the forklifts. Learned the process of how French fries and other potato products are made and stored before they are shipped to customers. My co-workers were excellent guys and fun to work with. Nothing was really hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers.
Pros
Some times the manager would order out lunch for us.
Cons
Union based company
JR Simplot
Process Operator\Trainer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, ID9 October 2016
Good pay, fair benefits. 3 12 hour shifts. Nice bus service for little money, The workers were helpful. The HR Department was a joke.
Productive And Fun WorkPlace.
Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Othello, WA4 August 2016
I Did Paper Work That Needed To Be Submitted With Microsoft, Checking Codes And Making Sure There Were Labels On Cases And Bags. Also Checked The Metal Detectors.
Prodcutive work environment
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID4 July 2016
It is a good place to work. It is productive and fun working environment. Always busy and always have work to do.
Unhappy Experience
GENERAL LABORER (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, ID9 June 2016
I didn't know enjoy working there. The HR workers didn't care about there employees and if something went wrong it was GL's fault.
Enjoyed my co-workers and management
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, AR10 October 2015
I advanced very quickly at this company which allowed me to establish an opportunity for growth with this company. My co-workers were easy to get along with and so was management. The hardest part of my job was the cold atmosphere in which it was all year round because it was a food service industry.
Pros
opportunity for growth
Cons
cold atmosphere
Highly Unorganized
Shipping And Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Billings, MT2 June 2015
While I enjoyed the people that I worked with, and the work that we did there was no way I could develop an identity outside of work. Simplot is a large company therefore the standard means of advancement don't work. It is all about who you know and not how hard you work. This led to a elevated level of deception, and backstabbing when it came to trying to advance to a level that someone else wanted. In advancement comes the chance to earn more money as you gain more years you don't always make more money. The management above the different organizations has become very hands off and it leading to people who are going to be adverse towards the companys overall goals.
Excellent Company to work for.
Mill / Pipeline Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UT31 March 2015
I spent 10 years with the JR Simplot Company at their Vernal, Utah Phosphate Mine and Beneficiation Mill and found it to be the best mining company that I have ever had the Pleasure of working for in my 45 Years in the mining business. They are superior in all aspects of their management and operations compared to any publicly owned mining company n the world today.
Pros
Amazingly family oriented and excellent work environment where employee Safety was always job # 1.
Cons
None that I can think of
VERY GOOD JOB
FORKLIFT OPR (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, AR1 December 2014
EVERY DAY WAS A LAYED BACK AND ENJOYABLE DAY,I LEARNED ALOT AT THIS JOB AS FAR AS LEARNING HOW TO OPERATE A SIT DOWN FORKLIFT AND OPERATE A SCAN GUN.THE MANAGEMENT WAS VERY HELPFUL TO ALL EMPLYEES AS FAR AS THE CO-WORKERS EVERYONE WAS THERE TO LEARN SOMETHING AS FAR AS TEACHING.THERE WAS NOTHING HARD ABOUT THIS JOB AFTER I STARTED WORKING THEIR.I ENJOYED EVERTHING BOUT THIS JOB.
Pros
THEY GAVE US SOME FREE PRODUCT, FREE LUNCHES FROM TIME TO TIME
Cons
WE HAD ALL BENIFITS
fun work place with caring people
fork lift operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, ND9 December 2015
great place to learn a lot and skills that can translate to other fields. can make good friends if you choose the right shift
Good Pay and Benefits in exchange for being treated like an animal.
Employee Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Caldwell4 February 2014
Your normal day is just praying that your lucky enough that the machinery doesn't fail on you. Because if it does, management will blame you instead of the equipment. This company cares little about work/life balance. There is mandatory OT a plenty. They treat you little better than a numbered resource that they can replace like a bolt and they let you know it. Don't question management because that is a quick way out the door. The only positive of the job is the pay and benefits, however you will not enjoy this since you will be working all the time. I would only work for this company at the plant level if you have a lot of debt you need to pay off and then get out.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Negative reinforcement, politics, forced OT
Another day and another dollar.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Heyburn, ID5 December 2012
This company was good place to work. I learned a great deal about receiving and shipping frozen food on trucks and rail cars. Doing inventories count was very exciting to do in frozen dark storage room. The count was never the same after fourth count. That was the hardest part of inventory count is it doesn't add up. The people their were very friendly.
Pros
company pinic
Cons
close down
the people
Utility Crew (Former Employee) –  aberdeen idaho28 November 2012
cleaning restrooms and any other cleaning that needed to be done and how to clean the equipment and how the frenchfries were made and packaged most of my co workers are very good to work with.some of the cleaning was hard and trying to keep the standards high. talking with the different people that i have worked with
Pros
benifits
Cons
how you are treated in some ways
fun place
Process Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, ID5 April 2014
a typical day would be checking the quality of the product and making changes when needed. I've Learned so much from this company have leaned to be a great leader. management is great. co-workers are great. not really hard just comes with a lot of stress but im built for stress and over come any obstacles. most enjoyable part is having great co-workers
Hard place to work.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Lathrop, CA11 March 2015
Rotating shifts and a high expectation to work mandatory overtime instead of maintaining adequate staffing. Compensation in some areas is higher than similar positions in other workplaces.
Pros
high compensation for level of skill required
Cons
rotating shifts and a lot of required overtime