J.R. Simplot Company Employee Reviews

Good place to work with good people while making quality food
HR ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, ID8 June 2016
I worked as a administrator in human resources. The best part of the job was working with people. The worst part of the job was when I couldn't help or had to suspend/fire those people. It was also very hard to do all the tasks associated with closing the plant. I got both of my degrees while working there. I would still be there if the plant hadn't closed.
Pros
Pay was very good and I enjoyed the work
Cons
Sometimes having to deliver bad news or resolve conflict
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID 837164 July 2016
It is a good place to work. Well life and work balance. Productive working environment. Friendly people and always have work to do.
Gained experience
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, Idaho31 August 2015
A day at work was spent either loading trucks/railcars with product, hauling out product to load on a truck/railcar, picking different items according to orders, taking pallets of product off the line and putting it away in designated locations, sorting good pallets from bad pallets to put through the factory. I feel like working there improved my forklift skills enormously. Definitely the hardest part about the job was the hours. I worked from 6pm to 6am on a rotating schedule and was given mandatory overtime frequently. I really enjoyed a lot of the people i worked with.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
The schedule
Productive and Interesting
Master File Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID26 August 2015
A typical day at work is entering data, and ensuring data integrity and accuracy. Manage, integrate, disseminate, and create data for all enterprise applications, processes and entities requiring timely and accurate data delivery. Provide Team direction and oversee day-to-day master file maintenance activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I work with a great team.
Pros
great employee benefits
Cons
Not enough opportunities for career advancement
Great people to work for and provide fair wages to employees
Production Shift and Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, ID7 October 2015
The company is great to work for. They provide a fair wage for the work taking place and good benefits. They are very willing to promote highly skilled individuals and it is easy to take on a more challenging role if desired.
If like to be busy, stockroom is a good fit.
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nampa, ID3 September 2015
I enjoyed working in the stockroom. I met with alot of people that had anything to do with the production inside and outside the plant. I was always busy with getting all things that the job required done.
Cons
Working the Relief Shift is really hard if you have a family.
Avoid working for them, it's not worth it
ex employee, thank god (Former Employee) –  simplot Moses, fry plant23 January 2013
I have never in my years worked for a company where management sits so high above the workers in the plant that they cause a rift of decention so big it can never be mended. Management is a group of good old boys and if you are not one of the club they make you an outcast. Lack of morals runs deep here.
Pros
if you figure out how to work the system you will fit right in
Cons
if you have any ethics at all it wont take you long to figure out you are in too deep.
Fantastic company to work for that fosters growth and provides opportunities for growth
Operator (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, Washington5 June 2014
The Moses Lake facility was a great place to work for. There has been so many positive changes this past year. There are so many opportunities for development. They are really focising on creating a leadership culture through a trust based team culture with a bias for action and a passion for winning.
Pros
Management, Compensation, work life balance
A very rewarding place to work for
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CA6 April 2015
I very much enjoy the time I was employee by this company. I don't believe that there was anything that I didn't like or enjoy while working there as an Administrative Assistant II. Everyone was very helpful professional and kind.
Pros
Very good to the employees'
Cons
Nice Chrystmas dinners, and wonderful bonuses
Productive, fun and family orientated.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Heyburn, Idaho11 December 2012
Opportunity to work and meet with customers on a daily basis. I learned how to handle customers with confidence and professionalism. Management and co-workers were easy to get along with and became like a part of your family. The job could get stressful but, was never put on just one persons shoulders.
Pros
management
Cons
disgruntle customers
Good one to avoid
former employee (Former Employee) –  moses lake25 March 2014
It is not a good place to consider for a career and after management changes it has only gotten worse. They don't care about people anymore since JR is gone and ethically, upper management knows no bounds when they decide it's your turn to go.
Pros
compensation
Cons
can be abusive and downright hostile
Dont trust managment
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WA7 April 2014
Management at Simplot says they are all about 'family', but really only look at every employee as a number. No values, no morals, no ethics. They do not care at all. STAY AWAY FROM THESE COLD BLOODED PEOPLE.
Cons
managment ruthless people
Great entry level to gain experience.
Employee Service Representative, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Othello, WA11 August 2012
I've worked at Simplot for over two years. Gained a wide variety of skills within the HR department. Grateful for the amazing opportunity I've had to work at Simplot.
Excellent company to work for
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID19 December 2012
I have always regretted my decision to leave the J.R. Simplot Company. I still keep in contact with former managers and colleagues. I would highly recommend Simplot as an employer.
Safety Coordinator
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vernal, Utah22 February 2015
Outstanding place to work and exceptional company that genuinely cares about its employees. Excellent training is provided and lots of advancement and transfer potential.
Serving the retirees by being sure they understood what their benefits would provide for them.
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID27 July 2014
Phone and personal contacts with retirees. Management and co-worker team organized to work well together.
Great company to work for but...
... (Former Employee) –  Idaho11 January 2013
Just avoid Shared Services. No advancement. Negative atmosphere. Inflexible.
Pros
some really great people, stable and great benefits.
Cons
difficult to advance. preference given to external applicants.
GOOD COMPANY
ELEC. / PLC COMPUTER ROBOTIC INSTRUMENTATION TECH (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, OR20 May 2012
I WORKED 23+ YEARS AND ENJOYED MY JOBS IN PRODUCTION AND MAINTENANCE.
Pros
comperable benefits as other companies
Cons
plant/facility closed
Nice environment in which to work, friendly people
Customer Service/ Document Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID19 September 2015
I had flexibility within a two hour window to select when I started my work day. There was routine and predictability to what was expected of me as documentation responsibilities were consistent and constant. I was kept busy without too much stress. I was allowed breaks as I felt necessary. I was not micro-managed and was free to make decisions and was encouraged to seek assistance as I felt necessary. The company encouraged wellness and included a fitness program that rewarded employees for participation. A walking area was located adjacent to the office facility and the view was fabulous! Benefits were commendable and the health insurance options were complete. People were friendly and helpful. There was an open door policy so I could approach anyone from whom I needed assistance. The most fun part of the job was working with people who became long-time friends. Also important, was a sense of accomplishment as we were feeding the world! The hardest part of the job was dealing with foreign shipping companies that were demanding and often seemed to not care if there were problems getting our product to the foreign port in a timely manner.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Politics
Very fast paced mechanical work.
Utility Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WA21 December 2013
Nice place to work. Long shifts at times, but good pay. Management was pretty good. Got along great with all my co-workers.