J.R. Simplot Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice environment in which to work, friendly people
Customer Service/ Document Specialist (Former Employee), Boise, IDSeptember 19, 2015
Pros: Friendly people
Cons: Politics
I had flexibility within a two hour window to select when I started my work day. There was routine and predictability to what was expected of me as documentation responsibilities were consistent and constant. I was kept busy without too much stress. I was allowed breaks as I felt necessary. I was not micro-managed and was free to make decisions and was encouraged to seek assistance as I felt necessary. The company encouraged wellness and included a fitness program that rewarded employees for participation. A walking area was located adjacent to the office facility and the view was fabulous! Benefits were commendable and the health insurance options were complete. People were friendly and helpful. There was an open door policy so I could approach anyone from whom I needed assistance. The most fun part of the job was working with people who became long-time friends. Also important, was a sense of accomplishment as we were feeding the world! The hardest part of the job was dealing with foreign shipping companies that were demanding and often seemed to not care if there were problems getting our product to the foreign port in a timely manner.
If like to be busy, stockroom is a good fit.
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee), Nampa, IDSeptember 3, 2015
Cons: Working the Relief Shift is really hard if you have a family.
I enjoyed working in the stockroom. I met with alot of people that had anything to do with the production inside and outside the plant. I was always busy with getting all things that the job required done.
Gained experience
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Caldwell, IdahoAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Paid lunch
Cons: The schedule
A day at work was spent either loading trucks/railcars with product, hauling out product to load on a truck/railcar, picking different items according to orders, taking pallets of product off the line and putting it away in designated locations, sorting good pallets from bad pallets to put through the factory. I feel like working there improved my forklift skills enormously. Definitely the hardest part about the job was the hours. I worked from 6pm to 6am on a rotating schedule and was given mandatory overtime frequently. I really enjoyed a lot of the people i worked with.
Productive and Interesting
Master File Data Analyst (Current Employee), Boise, IDAugust 26, 2015
Pros: great employee benefits
Cons: Not enough opportunities for career advancement
A typical day at work is entering data, and ensuring data integrity and accuracy. Manage, integrate, disseminate, and create data for all enterprise applications, processes and entities requiring timely and accurate data delivery. Provide Team direction and oversee day-to-day master file maintenance activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I work with a great team.
A very rewarding place to work for
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Lathrop, CAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Very good to the employees'
Cons: Nice Chrystmas dinners, and wonderful bonuses
I very much enjoy the time I was employee by this company. I don't believe that there was anything that I didn't like or enjoy while working there as an Administrative Assistant II. Everyone was very helpful professional and kind.
Safety Coordinator
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee), Vernal, UtahFebruary 22, 2015
Outstanding place to work and exceptional company that genuinely cares about its employees. Excellent training is provided and lots of advancement and transfer potential.
Serving the retirees by being sure they understood what their benefits would provide for them.
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee), Boise, IDJuly 27, 2014
Phone and personal contacts with retirees. Management and co-worker team organized to work well together.
Great and Fun place to work
Current Employee (Current Employee), Moses LakeJune 21, 2014
Pros: education, management, leadership, co-workers (the ones that come to work), opportunities, compensation
Cons: co-workers that don't come in
Working for Simplot has been a great experience. They are still privately held and care about their employees. I feel my voice is heard. There has been a huge change of management in Moses Lake and the atmospere and overall feel has become a lot better. There is going to be a lot of good changes here. The hardest part of my job is working in the plant during the summer. It can get very hot. The company does a good job keeping us hydrated. Another hard part to my job is dealing with co-workers that call in all the time and abuse the company's attendance policy. Due to their poor work ethic, it creates more work for those that want to provide for their families. The best part of my job is my Supervisor. They care, they listen and they do their best to make the shift fun and productive. Another great opportunity is their educational assistance program. I am working on my degree right now and am hoping to grow with the company once I have completed it. I would not have been able to do this without the company's help paying for this. They care about family. Working for Simplot is great and I am looking forward to all the opportunities this Company offers.
Fantastic company to work for that fosters growth and provides opportunities for growth
Operator (Former Employee), Moses Lake, WashingtonJune 5, 2014
Pros: management, compensation, work life balance
The Moses Lake facility was a great place to work for. There has been so many positive changes this past year. There are so many opportunities for development. They are really focising on creating a leadership culture through a trust based team culture with a bias for action and a passion for winning.
Working with one of the larger employers is gratifying in many ways.
Accounts Receivable Tech. (Former Employee), Boise, IDApril 23, 2014
Pros: inexpensive transportation for work, holiday meals with the ceo.
Cons: distance from work and travel time involved on a daily basis.
I worked for one of the larger food processing companies, but that is the first time I ever got to meet the CEO of the company. This company provided n inexpensive way to go to work without having to drive. If you lived out of town, you rode a bus into work. I learned to work with speed and accuracy at this company. There were thousands of dollars in invoices that had to be processed for accounting purposes and sent on to accounting for companies that were nationwide. The work, if not done properly, delayed payment and sometimes the error was most difficult to correct. The managers were there to help you every step of the way and to provide answers for the questions about the invoices. The people that I worked with were the people in the same department that had similar interests and concerns and we got along as a team very well. The hardest part of the job was sometimes feeling overwhelmed by the vast amount of invoices and wondering if there was ever going to be a respite from having to push so hard. I got to meet the CEO of the company that was so interested in every one of the employees and would talk with us at the holiday breakfasts and lunches that he provided and wanted to be there to get feedback from the employees. People were recognized for years of service and outstanding service.
Dont trust managment
Accounting (Former Employee), Moses Lake, WAApril 7, 2014
Cons: managment ruthless people
Management at Simplot says they are all about 'family', but really only look at every employee as a number. No values, no morals, no ethics. They do not care at all. STAY AWAY FROM THESE COLD BLOODED PEOPLE.
Good one to avoid
former employee (Former Employee), moses lakeMarch 25, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: can be abusive and downright hostile
It is not a good place to consider for a career and after management changes it has only gotten worse. They don't care about people anymore since JR is gone and ethically, upper management knows no bounds when they decide it's your turn to go.
Fun
Process Hyster Driver (Current Employee), Nampa, IDFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: good job
I like to work at JR Simplot, but there is a problem. JR Simplot is shutting down and are laying off a lot of their workers.
Friendly working atmosphere
Biotech Agronomy Intern (Current Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 28, 2014
Nice people around. But lack of future career advancement.
Very fast paced mechanical work.
Utility Mechanic (Former Employee), Moses Lake, WADecember 21, 2013
Nice place to work. Long shifts at times, but good pay. Management was pretty good. Got along great with all my co-workers.
Great place to work with good balance.
Advanced Analytics Analyst (Current Employee), Boise, IdahoDecember 15, 2013
Interesting work with a wide variety of businesses providing a diverse intellectual environment.
Avoid working for them, it's not worth it
ex employee, thank god (Former Employee), simplot Moses, fry plantJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: if you figure out how to work the system you will fit right in
Cons: if you have any ethics at all it wont take you long to figure out you are in too deep.
I have never in my years worked for a company where management sits so high above the workers in the plant that they cause a rift of decention so big it can never be mended. Management is a group of good old boys and if you are not one of the club they make you an outcast. Lack of morals runs deep here.
Great company to work for but...
... (Former Employee), IdahoJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: some really great people, stable and great benefits.
Cons: difficult to advance. preference given to external applicants.
Just avoid Shared Services. No advancement. Negative atmosphere. Inflexible.
Excellent company to work for
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Former Employee), Boise, IDDecember 19, 2012
I have always regretted my decision to leave the J.R. Simplot Company. I still keep in contact with former managers and colleagues. I would highly recommend Simplot as an employer.
Productive, fun and family orientated.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Heyburn, IdahoDecember 11, 2012
Pros: management
Cons: disgruntle customers
Opportunity to work and meet with customers on a daily basis. I learned how to handle customers with confidence and professionalism. Management and co-workers were easy to get along with and became like a part of your family. The job could get stressful but, was never put on just one persons shoulders.