J.R. Simplot Company Employee Reviews

Temendous Company with a great long term outlook
Northeast Zone Sales Manager- (VA-ME) (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID13 August 2017
Simplot is a huge agricultural company with a vision of 10-50 years down the road. Privately held, they don't harp upon 90 day forecasts.

The company has spent billions over the past 10 years to make their processing facilities tops in the world. They speak of investments as long term in nature.
Pros
The best attribute is that the company thinks long term as a proud privately held company
Cons
Career advancement is limited for those who are field based.
JR Simplot Company Culture
Senior Talent Partner (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID1 August 2017
People are down to earth and helpful however, the overall culture of Simplot is not diverse culturally. Recruiters are less important than the Human Resources staff who hold higher ranks and salaries. I have little desire to be in HR.
Pros
Start of the art corporate headquarters
Cons
Low wages
Productive mixed with fun
Plant Support (Current Employee) –  Caldwell, ID30 May 2017
J.R Simplot is a fantastic place to work where you feel like part of a family. the hardest part about working for Simplot would have to be the 12 hour shifts but once your body gets used to it the days just fly by.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Prone to recurrent accidents
Passion for People
HR Solutions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID23 May 2017
Working at the J.R. Simplot Company has been a wonderful experience for me. I will always be grateful for the opportunities it offered. I worked with some great people, at the office, in the plants, and all retail stores across America.

The worst part of my job in Human Resources is watching people go through difficult times and wishing there was more I can do to help them through it.

The best part is knowing I helped them the best I can, even if it is just listening to their struggles.

"Passion for People" is not just an empty motto. I sincerely hope they never lose sight that their greatest resource is it's employees.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Too much work and too few people.
Overall good place to work. Fine people and goals are clearly stated.
Plant Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WA5 April 2017
A few too many meetings but most are kept to a reasonable length. Always plenty to do so it's a challenge setting priorities. Courses are available to improve skills, Six Sigma is the current focus.
Food processing at its finest
Energy Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, ID31 March 2017
JR Simplot gives lots of opportunities to grow within the company and translate laterally if desired. They want to be a profitable company while providing customers with the best product.
Supports longevity
Administrative Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID18 February 2017
The core business is based on agriculture which is the root of Idaho. I have worked for the company for over 41 years and would recommend it to anyone.
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID 837164 July 2016
It is a good place to work. Well life and work balance. Productive working environment. Friendly people and always have work to do.
Good place to work with good people while making quality food
HR ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, ID8 June 2016
I worked as a administrator in human resources. The best part of the job was working with people. The worst part of the job was when I couldn't help or had to suspend/fire those people. It was also very hard to do all the tasks associated with closing the plant. I got both of my degrees while working there. I would still be there if the plant hadn't closed.
Pros
Pay was very good and I enjoyed the work
Cons
Sometimes having to deliver bad news or resolve conflict
Great people to work for and provide fair wages to employees
Production Shift and Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, ID7 October 2015
The company is great to work for. They provide a fair wage for the work taking place and good benefits. They are very willing to promote highly skilled individuals and it is easy to take on a more challenging role if desired.
Nice environment in which to work, friendly people
Customer Service/ Document Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID19 September 2015
I had flexibility within a two hour window to select when I started my work day. There was routine and predictability to what was expected of me as documentation responsibilities were consistent and constant. I was kept busy without too much stress. I was allowed breaks as I felt necessary. I was not micro-managed and was free to make decisions and was encouraged to seek assistance as I felt necessary. The company encouraged wellness and included a fitness program that rewarded employees for participation. A walking area was located adjacent to the office facility and the view was fabulous! Benefits were commendable and the health insurance options were complete. People were friendly and helpful. There was an open door policy so I could approach anyone from whom I needed assistance. The most fun part of the job was working with people who became long-time friends. Also important, was a sense of accomplishment as we were feeding the world! The hardest part of the job was dealing with foreign shipping companies that were demanding and often seemed to not care if there were problems getting our product to the foreign port in a timely manner.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Politics
If like to be busy, stockroom is a good fit.
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nampa, ID3 September 2015
I enjoyed working in the stockroom. I met with alot of people that had anything to do with the production inside and outside the plant. I was always busy with getting all things that the job required done.
Cons
Working the Relief Shift is really hard if you have a family.
Gained experience
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, Idaho31 August 2015
A day at work was spent either loading trucks/railcars with product, hauling out product to load on a truck/railcar, picking different items according to orders, taking pallets of product off the line and putting it away in designated locations, sorting good pallets from bad pallets to put through the factory. I feel like working there improved my forklift skills enormously. Definitely the hardest part about the job was the hours. I worked from 6pm to 6am on a rotating schedule and was given mandatory overtime frequently. I really enjoyed a lot of the people i worked with.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
The schedule
Productive and Interesting
Master File Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID26 August 2015
A typical day at work is entering data, and ensuring data integrity and accuracy. Manage, integrate, disseminate, and create data for all enterprise applications, processes and entities requiring timely and accurate data delivery. Provide Team direction and oversee day-to-day master file maintenance activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I work with a great team.
Pros
great employee benefits
Cons
Not enough opportunities for career advancement
A very rewarding place to work for
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CA6 April 2015
I very much enjoy the time I was employee by this company. I don't believe that there was anything that I didn't like or enjoy while working there as an Administrative Assistant II. Everyone was very helpful professional and kind.
Pros
Very good to the employees'
Cons
Nice Chrystmas dinners, and wonderful bonuses
Safety Coordinator
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vernal, Utah22 February 2015
Outstanding place to work and exceptional company that genuinely cares about its employees. Excellent training is provided and lots of advancement and transfer potential.
Serving the retirees by being sure they understood what their benefits would provide for them.
Employee Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID27 July 2014
Phone and personal contacts with retirees. Management and co-worker team organized to work well together.
Great and Fun place to work
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake21 June 2014
Working for Simplot has been a great experience. They are still privately held and care about their employees. I feel my voice is heard. There has been a huge change of management in Moses Lake and the atmospere and overall feel has become a lot better. There is going to be a lot of good changes here. The hardest part of my job is working in the plant during the summer. It can get very hot. The company does a good job keeping us hydrated. Another hard part to my job is dealing with co-workers that call in all the time and abuse the company's attendance policy. Due to their poor work ethic, it creates more work for those that want to provide for their families. The best part of my job is my Supervisor. They care, they listen and they do their best to make the shift fun and productive. Another great opportunity is their educational assistance program. I am working on my degree right now and am hoping to grow with the company once I have completed it. I would not have been able to do this without the company's help paying for this. They care about family. Working for Simplot is great and I am looking forward to all the opportunities this Company offers.
Pros
Education, Management, Leadership, co-workers (the ones that come to work), Opportunities, Compensation
Cons
Co-Workers that don't come in
Fantastic company to work for that fosters growth and provides opportunities for growth
Operator (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, Washington5 June 2014
The Moses Lake facility was a great place to work for. There has been so many positive changes this past year. There are so many opportunities for development. They are really focising on creating a leadership culture through a trust based team culture with a bias for action and a passion for winning.
Pros
Management, Compensation, work life balance
Working with one of the larger employers is gratifying in many ways.
Accounts Receivable Tech. (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID23 April 2014
I worked for one of the larger food processing companies, but that is the first time I ever got to meet the CEO of the company. This company provided n inexpensive way to go to work without having to drive. If you lived out of town, you rode a bus into work. I learned to work with speed and accuracy at this company. There were thousands of dollars in invoices that had to be processed for accounting purposes and sent on to accounting for companies that were nationwide. The work, if not done properly, delayed payment and sometimes the error was most difficult to correct. The managers were there to help you every step of the way and to provide answers for the questions about the invoices. The people that I worked with were the people in the same department that had similar interests and concerns and we got along as a team very well. The hardest part of the job was sometimes feeling overwhelmed by the vast amount of invoices and wondering if there was ever going to be a respite from having to push so hard. I got to meet the CEO of the company that was so interested in every one of the employees and would talk with us at the holiday breakfasts and lunches that he provided and wanted to be there to get feedback from the employees. People were recognized for years of service and outstanding service.
Pros
Inexpensive transportation for work, holiday meals with the CEO.
Cons
Distance from work and travel time involved on a daily basis.