J.D. Irving Employee Review

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Fuel driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto22 April 2013
Disorganized management. Tell you one thing, do another. Constantly allude to changes that are coming (in safety procedures, pay structure, disciplinary actions for safety infractions) leaving drivers in a constant state of never knowing what the future holds. Never a straight answer. Questions/concerns skirted, put off. Condescending attitude towards drivers from all levels of management.

Maintenance of equipment is atrocious. Trucks and trailers routinely go 30, 40, 50000km between services (all trucks are leased and its built in to the maintenance package that oil changes aren't to be done in less than 50000km intervals. I know of one tractor that, despite repeated driver requests, didn't get its FIRST service until the truck had over 90000km on it. How'd you like to haul 57000 liters of gasoline with a truck that has gone NINETY THOUSAND KILOMETERS without being looked at once by a mechanic??) Unable to obtain basic tools for the job...windshield washer fluid, gloves, etc. Company unable/unwilling to provide these basic necessities for the drivers.

They hire people to work in dispatch with no relevant work experience (because no experience affords the company the ability to pay them low wages), provide little to no training to these people, then can't figure out why these people fail. This is not uncommon in "big business" trucking, I understand that. However, fuel is a pretty specialized niche in the trucking industry and having someone who's never sat in a truck telling you how to do your job is pretty nauseating.

Pay cheques are routinely incorrect and you're forever
  more... chasing your pay. Shortages not always paid on next cheque. For example, if your pay is shorted $75, you may get that shortage paid on your next cheque (two weeks later) or you might get a portion of it. After a while it becomes impossible to know how much money you're owed. Pay stubs are difficult to verify. Paid "by the hour" is a pretty vague term.

Do your research. Talk to other RST drivers before you accept a position with this company. I promise you that you'll find my review is not an isolated experience.
Pros
top hourly rate is pretty competitive in the toronto fuel market.
Cons
everything.

Other J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Hiring foreigners before local.
Never wanna work there (Former Employee) –  Nowhere17 February 2018
Traveling to Europe for conducting Interviews??
Are you kidding me man...how many people are unemployed in the Florenceville-Bristol area...maybe you should invest to train the right candidates before you spend cash on a immigrant!!!
Physically hard, great salary for students
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saint-leonard, NB8 January 2018
This jobs was really hard, had to do alot of heavy lifting and didnt eat properly since the time I was allowed was minimal. Learned a few things like welding and grinding. The most enjoyable part was the staff as they were usually funny and felt great. Workplace wasnt the best (summer) as it was extremely hot. Hardest part was the hours of work.
Pros
Free tims, great salary
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.