J.D. Irving Employee Review

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Fuel driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto22 April 2013
Disorganized management. Tell you one thing, do another. Constantly allude to changes that are coming (in safety procedures, pay structure, disciplinary actions for safety infractions) leaving drivers in a constant state of never knowing what the future holds. Never a straight answer. Questions/concerns skirted, put off. Condescending attitude towards drivers from all levels of management.

Maintenance of equipment is atrocious. Trucks and trailers routinely go 30, 40, 50000km between services (all trucks are leased and its built in to the maintenance package that oil changes aren't to be done in less than 50000km intervals. I know of one tractor that, despite repeated driver requests, didn't get its FIRST service until the truck had over 90000km on it. How'd you like to haul 57000 liters of gasoline with a truck that has gone NINETY THOUSAND KILOMETERS without being looked at once by a mechanic??) Unable to obtain basic tools for the job...windshield washer fluid, gloves, etc. Company unable/unwilling to provide these basic necessities for the drivers.

They hire people to work in dispatch with no relevant work experience (because no experience affords the company the ability to pay them low wages), provide little to no training to these people, then can't figure out why these people fail. This is not uncommon in "big business" trucking, I understand that. However, fuel is a pretty specialized niche in the trucking industry and having someone who's never sat in a truck telling you how to do your job is pretty nauseating.

Pay cheques are routinely incorrect and you're forever
  more... chasing your pay. Shortages not always paid on next cheque. For example, if your pay is shorted $75, you may get that shortage paid on your next cheque (two weeks later) or you might get a portion of it. After a while it becomes impossible to know how much money you're owed. Pay stubs are difficult to verify. Paid "by the hour" is a pretty vague term.

Do your research. Talk to other RST drivers before you accept a position with this company. I promise you that you'll find my review is not an isolated experience.
Pros
top hourly rate is pretty competitive in the toronto fuel market.
Cons
everything.

Other J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Workplace was a pleasant and fast paced environment working with large groups of employers
Data Entry Clerk & Driver Services Auditor (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB20 May 2017
NOTE: Indeed has incorrect date of employment at this company (ending date was 2013 not 2017). A typical day would be to start with collecting all mail from mailroom and delivering to our various employers in our department (Driver Services) and most importantly to collect thousands of Driver's logs (handwritten daily reports of their road trips) and to immediately proceed to scan them individually into our computer system for data entry. Learned how to multi-task in a face paced environment and to work with multitude of employees from various departments in a very large company. Most enjoyable part of the job was to interact with the driver's when they delivered their logs personally to us and to hear of their experiences on the road. I enjoyed meeting, helping and advising the drivers individually concerning the rules they had to follow regarding safety and regulations.
Pros
working with large number of employees
Cons
being English in a bilingual environment
Horrible
Tarper (Former Employee) –  Sunbury22 October 2015
Did tarping for this company it was horrible there was always bullying and name calling in the work enviroment not to mention the pay was peanut shells for the work you do and the hours you work you never had a life through out the week. I would not reccomend this company for anything
Pros
Haha pros
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8