J.D. Irving

J.D. Irving Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Profits not people
operator (Former Employee), monctonJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: turkey as xmas
Cons: too many to list
Long time loyal employee over 15 yrs
left for poor management spend millions on new equipment but no money for cost of living pay increases for employees, management treats employees like children, bullying readily accepted as the norm for managers .
A fast paced, yet secure place of employment.
Lumber Grader (Current Employee), Chipman, NBJuly 6, 2013
Pros: plenty of overtime available. provided meals on special occasions. good company benefits.
Cons: have to work nights.
Shift work rotating days and nights.
Working with a regular crew. Good co-workers.Everyone is commited to doing the best job they can.
Good job training and safety.
Plenty of extra shifts if you want to work extra hours.
Good health plan and pension plans available.
Terrible place to work
Accounting (Former Employee), MidlandMay 22, 2013
The rudest people I have ever encountered in my entire life. Very inefficient. Not open to change. Not up to date.
I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Fuel driver (Former Employee), TorontoApril 22, 2013
Pros: top hourly rate is pretty competitive in the toronto fuel market.
Cons: everything.
Disorganized management. Tell you one thing, do another. Constantly allude to changes that are coming (in safety procedures, pay structure, disciplinary actions for safety infractions) leaving drivers in a constant state of never knowing what the future holds. Never a straight answer. Questions/concerns skirted, put off. Condescending attitude towards – more... drivers from all levels of management.

Maintenance of equipment is atrocious. Trucks and trailers routinely go 30, 40, 50000km between services (all trucks are leased and its built in to the maintenance package that oil changes aren't to be done in less than 50000km intervals. I know of one tractor that, despite repeated driver requests, didn't get its FIRST service until the truck had over 90000km on it. How'd you like to haul 57000 liters of gasoline with a truck that has gone NINETY THOUSAND KILOMETERS without being looked at once by a mechanic??) Unable to obtain basic tools for the job...windshield washer fluid, gloves, etc. Company unable/unwilling to provide these basic necessities for the drivers.

They hire people to work in dispatch with no relevant work experience (because no experience affords the company the ability to pay them low wages), provide little to no training to these people, then can't figure out why these people fail. This is not uncommon in "big business" trucking, I understand that. However, fuel is a pretty specialized niche in the trucking industry and having someone who's never sat in a truck telling you how to do your job is pretty nauseating.

Pay cheques are routinely incorrect and you're forever chasing your pay. Shortages not always paid on next cheque. For example, if your pay is shorted $75, you may get that shortage paid on your next cheque (two weeks later) or you might get a portion of it. After a while it becomes impossible to know how much money you're owed. Pay stubs are difficult to verify. Paid "by the hour" is a pretty vague term.

Do your research. Talk to other RST drivers before you accept a position with this company. I promise you that you'll find my review is not an isolated experience. – less
Very challenging work environment due to steep slope and rocky ground but rewarding with experience and knowledge gained in a short timeframe.
Feller buncher operator (Current Employee), New BrunswickJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: newer equipment
Cons: long days
Average three hours driving each day and 11 hour shifts 5+ days a week.
Learned to operate equipment using gps navigation
A thoroughly enjoyable environment in which to work; friendly co-workers, an empathetic and professional management team, and excellent benefits.
Custodian (Former Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 30, 2012
My duties involved cleaning and professionally maintaining the designated floor assignments; in addition, I provided support to colleagues on a daily basis. Moreover I assisted with the functionality of various conference and meeting rooms.

I learned the value of time management, a strong work ethic, and the ability to function either autonomously – more... or within a team. – less

About J.D. Irving

J.D. Irving, Limited is committed to sustainable forest management. This means ensuring that our forests are environmentally sustainable, – Read more

J.D. Irving Photos