J.D. Irving Employee Review

A fast paced, yet secure place of employment.
Lumber Grader (Current Employee) –  Chipman, NB6 July 2013
Shift work rotating days and nights.
Working with a regular crew. Good co-workers.Everyone is commited to doing the best job they can.
Good job training and safety.
Plenty of extra shifts if you want to work extra hours.
Good health plan and pension plans available.
Plenty of overtime available. Provided meals on special occasions. Good company benefits.
Have to work nights.

Other J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Sawmill supervisor - Get some experience then get out!
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valley, NS1 March 2018
I was a new university grad and was hired as a supervisor in an Irving sawmill. I was there for just under 3 years. The starting salary was below industry levels and I had one minuscule raise over those 3 years. The company cries, hard times, "no one getting raises" quite often. It was good experience, but the the hours of work is the biggest issue with this role. You are paid for a 42 hour work week. You alternate days one week, to nights the next.
As it turns out, day shift is 5 days/wk for 10.5 hrs/day = 52.5 hrs. Night shift is 4 days a wk (4x10.5=42 hrs). There's a requirement to be on site 1/2 hour before shift to organize your crew, and 1/2 after shift to complete paperwork. Expect to work 11.5 hr/shifts or 103.5 hrs every 2 weeks, but only be paid for 84. The $/hr breakdown means you'll be making the same, or less, as your operators.
The turn over for supervisors is about 3 years or less. I gained a decent enough experience and then scored a supervisor job that paid better, worked less hours, less stressful, and closer to home.
I think that people that do well with Irving willingly put the extra hours in, as their corporate culture tries to brainwash you into thinking this is normal for every business. It's not at all. People need a life outside of work and to be paid fairly for the work put in. There are much better companies to work for out there than Irving.
Experience for new grads.
Expected to work unpaid hours. Low pay to begin with.
Hiring foreigners before local.
Never wanna work there (Former Employee) –  Nowhere17 February 2018
Traveling to Europe for conducting Interviews??
Are you kidding me man...how many people are unemployed in the Florenceville-Bristol area...maybe you should invest to train the right candidates before you spend cash on a immigrant!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.