J.D. Irving Employee Reviews

Highly demanding but rewarding
Corporate Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 January 2018
J.D. Irving, Limited is a great place to work, They do have very high expectations but if you meet them, they reward you very well. The owners are loyal to those that are loyal to them. The challenge is with executive management that have their own addenda.
Top down management
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 November 2017
Too down management, they don’t make you feel included or like you have a voice. Tough to get advancement or more responsibilities. They have potential but not for someone looking for a modern culture.
Good co-workers
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Valley, NS2 September 2017
Work with some great people. Supervisors are great but higher management is not as much. The hours and shift schedule allow for a decent amount of family time.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Hard work
too much gossip and favoritism
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Doaktown, NB1 August 2017
I worked at the Value Added sawmill for four years which was very different to anything i has ever done in that i used my brawn and not my brains. The work was very physical, but I soon became used to it. I did not like the constant gossipping and bickering. I feel we all had to work, so why not work together and things would run much smoother. I enjoyed that I was knowledgeable enough to work at every work station, but was forced to quit for health reasons.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits
Cons
back-stabbing
Productive enjoyable work place
Harvester/labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NB10 June 2017
I worked for JD Irving woodlands division for many years,I worked in the woods as a tree planter and thinner,also as a skidder operator.this type of work was on a piece rate basis so you had to be very self motivated.iI always enjoyed this type of work and got along well with others as well as management.
Pros
working outside
Cons
only seasonal
Workplace was a pleasant and fast paced environment working with large groups of employers
Data Entry Clerk & Driver Services Auditor (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB20 May 2017
NOTE: Indeed has incorrect date of employment at this company (ending date was 2013 not 2017). A typical day would be to start with collecting all mail from mailroom and delivering to our various employers in our department (Driver Services) and most importantly to collect thousands of Driver's logs (handwritten daily reports of their road trips) and to immediately proceed to scan them individually into our computer system for data entry. Learned how to multi-task in a face paced environment and to work with multitude of employees from various departments in a very large company. Most enjoyable part of the job was to interact with the driver's when they delivered their logs personally to us and to hear of their experiences on the road. I enjoyed meeting, helping and advising the drivers individually concerning the rules they had to follow regarding safety and regulations.
Pros
working with large number of employees
Cons
being English in a bilingual environment
Unique Learing Expeience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Chipman, NB30 January 2017
Worked with Irving Sawmills and Woodlands on a co-op term after my second year of school. This position was a new one Irving was trying, where the students would move through 5 roles within the company. I started my summer in a sawmill and then spent time working in; road building, tree thinning, tree harvesting and block planning. Being able to follow the trees from planting to being shipped as lumber gave me a good insight on the process as a whole that I would not have otherwise received. The most enjoyable part of this rotation was working at the sawmill. At the end of my term I asked for an extension and went back to the sawmill for a few more weeks. During my second time at the sawmill I had seen some of my recommended changes be implemented and worked with the process improvement team to standardize safety policies site wide.
Pros
Worked in 5 diferent areas of the company in one summer.
Cons
Long days when working in the forest.
working in the woods
trucking wood (Former Employee) –  Juniper, NB5 January 2017
haul all types of wood to different mills in province.A 4 1/2 days a week job living in camps .10 months a year, a perfect way to get experience as a driver, heavy loads,multiple axle trailers,over sized loads that require knowledge of balance and safe maneuvering. If you enjoy wildlife fishing and hunting.fun!
Pros
free lunch good food
Cons
icy conditions
They hired me to fill a position
Factory Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NB14 December 2016
They hired me to cover someone who was out on medical but did not tell me this when I was offered the job. I was one day before my probation was up when they let me go saying that I was no longer needed. Not something that I found was acceptable.
Good opportunity for growth
Maintenance & Operations (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 December 2016
High expectations, high returns for effort
Good overall group of coworkers
Average benefits
Ability to progress
Continuous education and improvement supported
Pros
Flexibility of hours, co-workers, team environment
Cons
High committment & demands
Focued and determined organization
Project Manager - Y2K (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB15 July 2016
Although I was only in this organization for a short while, I thoroughly enjoyed the assignment I was given. It allowed me to engage with managers for each of the 65 affiliate companies. The managers and co-workers were very supportive which many life easier for me.
Good Work Life Balance
Senior BI Developer (Former Employee) –  CA11 June 2016
Good Work Life Balance
Development project
Management was good
Co-workers were always helpful
Most enjoyable part of job was facing new Technical challenges
Hard work, high reward
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NB9 May 2016
Long hours, high stress and fast paced environment. Learned about teamwork, communication, and hard work, as well as time management.
The hardest part of the job was keeping everyone happy consistently, but was very rewarding when successful.
Expérience très enrichissante
Journalier / emploi étudiant (Former Employee) –  Kedgwick, NB29 April 2016
JD Irving est une entreprise ou j'ai adoré travailler. Étant employé comme étudiant, ceux-ci ont pu m'apporter de bonne base pour bien démarrer sur le marché du travail.
Pros
Bien encadré
Cons
Aucun
Good experience and training
Contract Accountant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2016
Provided less mentoring but intensive training.
Did not renew nor extend the contract.
Good work team environment.
Collaboration and team efforts.
Pros
Training
Cons
Contract Renewal
Over worked/not ideal for new families
Fleet Managment (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 January 2016
My career currently is a company that is not the best at being family friendly. I currently work 55-60 hours/week and only bring home a salary for 40 of them. I enjoy my job and people I work with. Just looking to make a career change that allows me to spend more time home and with my family.
working in a saw mill dusty on fun with allergiers
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS20 November 2015
working in a saw mill on big motors,lighting and VFD's great learning and the open bluiding was a problem to work in with thw weather
Pros
geart company and work
Cons
Dusty work conditions
Horrible
Tarper (Former Employee) –  Sunbury22 October 2015
Did tarping for this company it was horrible there was always bullying and name calling in the work enviroment not to mention the pay was peanut shells for the work you do and the hours you work you never had a life through out the week. I would not reccomend this company for anything
Pros
Haha pros
typical sawmill
Operator (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS14 September 2015
shift work, 2 weeks of days , 2 weeks of nights, 10 hour shifts, lernt many different skills, forklift, debarker, etc. co-workers were great, hardest part of the job was the summertime heat, most enjoyable was running the machinery.
Pros
benefits, summer family events, weekends off
Cons
summer heat and humidity
good place to work
FINISH OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  halifax2 September 2015
i work for gulf operators which is owned by irving
I was at two different sites the haifax ship yard and the oil refinery in woodside

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J.D. Irving. Our community is ready to answer.