J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

When out on the road we do not have time to stop for lunch. We are over loaded and sometimes forced to stay out to finish our routes.
Driver installation specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, MI11 December 2016
We cannot tell our families when we will be home due to our routes and being forced to stay out to finish our routes. Our routes are long and hard, but we do not receive any help or back up from management. It's a good company only because of the people you work with, being somewhere different everyday, meeting new people everyday. The benefits are not the greatest and unfortunately when you have question about them or the job itself you don't always get the answer your looking for. If something is unsafe, to hard to do for two people, wrong, you still receive no help.
Rarely fulfilling work with very corporate vibe
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR11 January 2017
While the job was never too strenuous, that aided in the lack of accomplishment that it would give you when you left every day. It's a great place to work if you love the corporate atmosphere, but if you are wanting to do something exciting or fulfilling, I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Pros
good benefits, regular hours
Cons
corporate red tape, constant management changes
Low pay, great benefits, no miles, chasing trailers
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR12 January 2017
First week was great, got nearly 4000 miles, after that it was down hill, average miles between 1500-1800 a week, too many live loads killing your clock and looking for empty trailers. Company shut down for three days during the holidays and did not inform me...I was stuck far from home for 3 days.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no miles, chasing trailers, lack of communication
The best safety culture I've ever been exposed to!
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX3 August 2016
I love JB Hunt, and have since my first day of orientation as a driver. They believe in Safety and direct, coach & encourage each employee to follow the proven path that's been laid before them. I've had the pleasure of bringing new drivers into our company and watching their reactions when we tell them "Welcome Home!", and then prove we mean it with the benefits, the equipment, the support and the encouragement to keep family first, as JB always had.
Pros
Outstanding benefit options, well maintained and late model equipment, knowledgeable coworkers
okay place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GA5 November 2016
I have been here about five months now , they have their ups and downs like any other company. miles are decent not the greatest. The only trouble I'm having with them now is them getting me home for my set home time , I remind them constantly the week before and constantly been getting home one to two days after .
Pros
xm radio, benifits
Cons
hometime, miles and unorganized at time
Great place to work!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Iowa7 December 2016
JB Hunt is a great place to work and with hard work and determination you can advance quickly in the company. Compensation is great but more importantly they make sure your home/work life is balanced.
Great Place, great people good company
Frontend Developer (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, AR23 September 2016
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
Great place to start a career
Client Services Tech/Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lowell, AR26 September 2016
J.B. Hunt is a good place to work and start or career or to jump start another. They will take the time to train in new positions.
Pros
Cons
Compensation
it was ok
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK23 December 2016
it was ok but i need something local if you want to travel the country and make good money good benefits it is a great place to be the people there are good to work for they help you as much as they can they just didnt have what i needed to stay there
Productive and fast paced, great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR21 July 2016
I learned a lot working here, I believe they could do better at training and explaining company policies by the book instead how workers interpret them. I learned so much about organization, computer skills, and time management.
Pros
Paid time off, 401k and great health insurance
Cons
you are easily replaceable
I would work there again.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MI16 October 2016
Good benefits, just not enough miles. The ability to work from different areas is great . Mostly good people & equipment is kept in good repair. Overall a great Company.
Excellent place to work. Great benefits and good hours.
Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO13 July 2016
Excellent place to work and great benefits, along with good working hours. I enjoyed meeting their customers and working with the contractors on builder jobs. JB Hunt was the "final mile" of their appliance delivery. We ensured the customer's new appliances and other products were installed in a timely manner and made sure they worked properly.
I envied the janitors while at work
Night/Weekend Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, AR25 November 2016
Operations/Dispatch
The company may do well due to its intermodal expansion in recent years, but that added revenue will never find you.
The employee turnover rate is so high, I'd train 4 different people in as many weeks because they'd quit after only a brief exposure to the company. I'd have joined them if I had any options at the time.
This turnover seems mostly due to the monotonous work, overbearing and yet,somehow, ineffective management, poor pay, and catastrophic work/life balance.
Simply visit salary.com or glassdoor to compare the pay with similar jobs, and that tells the story.

Many of my fellow employees were normal, great folks to work with. However, due to the outdated management who were set in the job, the Operations department suffered a huge free-rider problem: good employees will do most of the work, while slackers on their phones or chit-chatting or doing essentially nothing are not reprimanded or corrected, so they continue to do nothing, while the hard workers do everything. (No, this does not work itself out later when raises or promotions are considered, because JB Hunt doesn't do that, not in any meaningful sense).

I wasn't being snarky with my title. There were so many days I'd wish I could just vacuum the carpets and wipe the windows with the janitors then sit in my cubicle taking 127 phone calls from screaming, cussing, disrespectful drivers, who I'm genuinely trying to help, and must listen to every foul thing they want to dump on me. But to some degree, they saw me as JB Hunt, and if you're a CDL holder reading this, such voluminous amounts
  more... of visceral discontent every day should provide some indication of your counterparts opinions on their current employer.

You'll read many reviews that speak about JB Hunt losing its top talent due to its various deep-seeded problems, some I listed above. To put my experience in that light, I did consider, and many others considered me one of the very best employees in the Operations department. Nothing from management would suggest that though, because like others have said, you're just a number, a cog. I decided to go the way so many others smartly went, and found a different employer. So, from misery, despair, and 11 dollars an hour, I now have purpose, hope, and 83K a year.

There are better options for jobs out there.

And you deserve a good job.

So go ahead and see if maybe there's another option on those job postings before you select the black and yellow JB Hunt icon.
Pros
Proximity to my home.
Cons
The big three:Pay, work/life balance, absent/ineffective and out of date management
Overall I enjoyed the work i was doing as a driver, but very poor management.
CDL Driver - Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR5 January 2017
Bluntly put, management was dishonest and manipulative. The work was easy but I had to put in a lot of 14 hour days with just a 10 hour break to make a living.
Pros
Decent pay. Easy work.
Cons
Management. Long hours.
Amazing opportunity to get NYC driving experience
Tractor Trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CT29 September 2016
Hard work, at an average of 14 hour work days. Great place to learn how to use an electronic pallet jack, on the other hand horrible equipment especially for new comers, down right dangerous in my opinion. During my time at JB HUNT Windsor Locks, CT management was horrible, no respect for new drivers, very slow response time, they were not helpful at all when something went wrong with equipment on the road. Great mix of employees, from different cultures. A lot of Jamaican, and Spanish people, minority were American, Russian and Polish people. The hardest part of the job and most stressful is dealing with NYC customers and NYC traffic. Most enjoyable part was getting to work in the big city, delivering food to downtown Manhattan.
Pros
BBQ Grilling during summer days
Cons
Unhealthy BBQ Grill Food
Shorter Hours
Logistics Coordinator Atlanta (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA19 May 2016
Company culture is stuck in the 80s, with 10 hour work days required at all levels of leadership there is minimal work/life balance
Pros
Cons
bad healthcare and benefits
Low Pay, Slow Trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC30 December 2016
Safety Conscious, Good Equipment, Low Pay, Slow Trucks, Great People. Note: Expect to see a doctor for a DOT Physical if more than two days is missed on the job. Good with offering recognition for time with company. Corporate office will mail a small box with certificate, patch and pin for each year of service and may offer a gift of choice if the year was completed without accident. Overall the CEO is only interested in enriching his pockets and the companies bottom line. I know drivers who have been there for years yet still live on a pauper's wage. If you want a pat on the back and a kick in the butt, go work for JB Hunt. And the truth shall set you free.
Pros
Large company with many options
Cons
Low Pay. Number 1 driver on yard but made only 38K
Open road freedom
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC3 January 2017
At J.B. Hunt I have the opportunity to see a lot of the country. It is like I am a traveling musician going from state to state, and city to city non-stop.
A typical day at work starts with: a quick breakfast to secure well needed energy for a 6-8 hour drive stretch before (lunch) break, a cool 3 minute walk to prevent stiffness, and hygiene at truck stop facility. After that I perform a pre-trip inspection, tug test and break test. I check for any delays in times as well as city traffic on routes that I may drive and begin the 11-hour journey and see how far I can get in that run.
Management is so cool. They are my life lines when situations occur. Always willing to help. The hardest part of my job is sleeping comfortably in inclement weather. If its not cold enough I freeze due to tractor temperature idle regulations. The most enjoyable is driving because I love doing that, and being able to do it for a living is a plus.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Parenting/ home sick
jb hunt
Intermodal Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CA23 December 2016
Generally the same duties for operational job. Management was nice, hardest part of job was driving to work, co workers made work enjoyable. The only cons I can say was room for advancement, and pay
Pros
Great culture, great experience, foot in the door
Cons
pay, advancement
Really? Is this where you want to go or do you just need a job?
Management, former employee (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR20 June 2016
The old guard has largely left. They got the ball rolling for the new generation to "improve". The new guard apparently feels the need to make their mark. The current result? It has gone from a good ol boy network to a good ol girl network.

Driver support is now largely children just putting their fresh degree to work. Children managing working adults is not ideal. They are largely being directed by computer programs to make their decisions. When a decision is required outside the computer dynamic, the children haven't a clue what to do. It frustrates the working driver.

The office has largely become a filthy Petri dish. It is becoming a party environment...likely because it attracts children fresh from college. Are there still dedicated persons trying to get the monumental job done? Absolutely! Sadly, they are now in the great minority.

Here are a few tips to promote from within. Be a baptist. Be a woman or a minority. Whether you read the current trendy books or whether you do not, put them on your desk so they are seen. Buy into all the latest office speak now trending. Talk the talk, even if you don't walk the walk.

Look, it's a good company. They are just trying to find themselves. Unfortunately, it is truly shaped like a pyramid. The small group of folks at the top ultimately seem interested in protecting their often unearned benefits of power.

There has long been a saying among the ranks: Jbh trains a lot of people to succeed elsewhere.
Pros
Very nice coworkers
Cons
Arrogant, narcissistic executives

2.9