J.B. Hunt

J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great
driver (Former Employee), lowell,arMarch 26, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: none
great place to drive no problems great locations great equipment.....
really liked the dispatchers and the commitment to safety
former driver
class a regional driver (Former Employee), Lowell, ARMarch 20, 2015
Pros: can't remember
Cons: please read my review
after was assigned a truck it turns out it was not ready and had to wait a week to get a different one. I finally got my first load and guess what, the truck breaks down. It was in the shop for a week. Well then I got my load and headed for Arizona on a regional run. I got to the scales and received a big fat ticket because my truck was not permitted for loads over 50000 lbs. I was constantly living in truck stops. I managed to pay my overweight ticket with layover pay alone. And don't get me started on the dispatch they gave me. I managed to stay with them for 6 months and to my relief the truck breaks down again and I got to be with my family on Thanksgiving day. plus 2 weeks {that's the time it took them to fix the International bad boy. I took advantage of this time to land a knew job. Their was more fun I had with this company but I just assume not try to remember it. When I give this company one star I'm being kind.Good luck and be safe out there.
Not managing drivers but them managing me.
Fleet Manager (Current Employee), Lowell, ArkansasMarch 16, 2015
Pros: benefits, safety culture, co-workers
Cons: deadend job
Company wants you to manage the drivers so they will be productive and make the company money but so much of your time is spent in adhering to the safety culture and compliance with D.O.T. regulations that you don't have the time to manage the drivers to help them make themselves and the company money.
Long hours, average pay and benefits
Account Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 15, 2015
Long hours, average pay and benefits.

Good job out of college. High turnover with all personnel in company. Possible that a work week will be 60 to 70 hours.
Operations Supervisor
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Lansing, MIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: decent learning experience, good benefits
Cons: poor management, no work/life balance
Was hired directly out of college and decided on this position strictly from a pay standpoint. The pay is very good and the benefits are also above average but that does not account for the lack of office culture and managing. Our office was 10x15 and we sometimes had 6 people working in there at once with zero windows. The managers were money managers that normally did not care about your life outside of work unless they needed something from you then they turned into caring and understanding managers, but that was short lived once they got what they needed out of you. The training is one week long which takes place in a larger city. None of the training provided is useful once you return back to your home office. You will be put on the worst shift they have (normally Wed-Sun 5am-3pm) and stuck there until someone else new arrives. The turnover rate at this company for drivers and managers is ridiculously high (roughly 60%). All that aside, they do throw you into the fire and you are forced to learn a bunch of new programs fairly quickly and you become very efficient with Excel, email, JBH programs and other various applications. Bottom line, if you are coming out of college and have other choices DO NOT work here but it would be feasible if this was your only offer
worst job ever
appliance instillation driver (Current Employee), Romulus, MichiganMarch 7, 2015
Pros: ...none i can think of
Cons: does not follow dot rules and will put you in bad spots ......beware!!!!!
Your paid on a activity base scale so if there is anything wrong with the item or the customer changes their mind after hours of work........you domt get paid,you cant read your paycheck because of the way its made that you cant so you pretty much just have to take their word that its right and the 40,000 they say is more like 30,000 don't expect management to be of much help they broke company rules everyday. ..literally if you need a job bad and cant wait go for it if you like having a back and dont want to lift 700 pound refrigerators with you and one other guy and hour told to just get it done id stay away.
Good for those who seek that lifestyle.
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Harrisburg, Pa.March 3, 2015
Pros: great if you want to drive tractor trailer
Cons: not much of a personal life.
Fast paced, fair treatment by staff and Management. Pay is competitive with industry standards. Equipment is good. Co-workers are great, hard workers, and dedicated to what they do.
Enjoy working for this well organized company.
Dedicated Driver (Former Employee), Lowell, ARMarch 2, 2015
Pros: ability to be independent.
Cons: gone too long out on the road.
The hardest part of the job to me is that I'm away from my family too long. Other than that the open road is good but I've really been looking forward to doing local work.
Pretty good.
Driver (Current Employee), South Gate CAMarch 1, 2015
Pretty much your basic trucking company, no real surprises. I have enjoyed my time here for the most part. Really good managers.
A lot of opportunity to advance, at the detriment to your home life
DCS Manager (Former Employee), New YorkFebruary 26, 2015
On call 24/7 to demanding customers and pain in the butt truck drivers who know that there is a supply shortage, you can advance very quickly in the company but work/life balance is non existent
Company OK, local facility horrible
Maintenance (Former Employee), PAFebruary 25, 2015
Local management horrible, but company as a whole is OK. The company seems to care about employees, assists them in every way possible, benefits are OK, work is enjoyable, manageable, and appreciated.
bad place to work unless your desperate
driver appliance installer (Former Employee), auroraFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: no pros about this job
Cons: management couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, management just doesn't care about the employee, your job is threatened on a daily basis
The worst place to work by far. You have to fight for your money, was misleading about the pay. Clint the manager is no help. Every time he called you your job was threatened , they say 1075 a week. About 56000 a year. Its a lie. They recently had the state of Colorado labor board in there bec of all the complaints from its employees over pay. If you work over 40 hours a week no overtime given. They conveniently switch your pay so they dont have to pay overtime.
After training and assignment of truck, drivers were pretty much on their own.
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee), Based out of Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2015
Overall maintenance of truck was done in a timely manner. Problem with getting dispatches created 34 hours or more downtime for drivers.
Looking to expand my knowledge in a new environment.
Tractor Technician (Current Employee), Lithia Springs, GA.February 18, 2015
Pros: safe work environment
Cons: healthcare
A typical day at work consists of getting as many downed units out as possible.
I've learned new advanced troubleshooting techniques.
Management is supportive.
My co-workers are great to be around and very informative of ideas/ techniques they've come across.
The hardest part of the job is, diagnosing some of the newer units with cpu problems
The most enjoyable part of my job, is working together as a team with my supportive co-workers.
More of a man's world
Payroll Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 18, 2015
This is not a good place for females to work. It is very much male-oriented. • Entered drivers’ mileage and verify routes into PACE system software to ensure pay was accurate
• Verifying receipts from drivers and answering any questions regarding their wages
• Running various payroll reports for regional vice president
Large Company
Over The Road Driver (Former Employee), Lowell, ARFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: first company that offered me experience
Cons: not enough miles issued
First company after training. Over the road and long distance driving was required. Not enough miles issued and therefore my salary was low.
Typical Trucking Company
Commercial Driver (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Started here in November 2014. The orientation training staff was wonderful. Orientation was paid at $17/hour.
In bad weather, they understand you not coming out and offer for you to use any accrued personal time. The loads are plentiful, but sitting on the outside looking into the office, sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and they want to blame the drivers.
This is supposed to be a slip-seat operation, but if the driver has been around a while with them, they don't make the driver remove his belongings at the end of his shift. This makes it difficult for the next driver getting into the truck and not having room to place his/her tools. I have pictures of trucks that I have been assigned to with trash, urine bottles, and dust and mud all over the trucks. Drivers are not held accountable for the trucks. Luckily now, my "truck buddy" and I have a good working relationship, each of us being responsible for the condition of the truck inside and out.
There are only about seven women running out of this intermodal terminal in Harrisburg, and this lopsided balance is reflected in the office as well, with only 2 women (one admin in the orientation group, and one compliance manager - neither that the drivers deal with).
Overall, the pay is fair, and there is usually plenty of work, but they have a very high turnover rate.
No work life balance
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee), Southern CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: you can manage your own business and make majority of the decisions.
Cons: it is a stressful job for having to manage your truck drivers, manage your relationship with the customer, and meet financial goals.
JB Hunt is a good company to work for in terms of transportation but there is a large presence of the "Good Ole Boys" club. If you don't know people that are at the executive level, it is tough to advance. Also the pay and compensation is low compared to the responsibilities given to managers who have to be on call 24/7 a week. There isn't really a work life balance and you are expected to work during off hours and weekends.
Great employer great equipment
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: pay benefits mgmt. equipment
My job was varied and fun they recognized my ability to learn and work ethic and compensated very well the mid level managers I had were some of the best I ever met.
Low pay, high stress
Supervisor (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Depends on the account you end up working at. Some accounts are more stressful that others. Limited opportunities for growth as a supervisor in certain accounts. Pay could be better.

1 2 3 4 5

About J.B. Hunt

J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. (JBHT), incorporated on August 10, 1961, is a holding company. The Company provides a range – Read more