J.B. Hunt Employee Reviews

J.B. Hunt Needs an Overhaul in Several Older Divisions
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR21 February 2017
J.B. Hunt needs to overhaul it's management and management styles from the top down. Too many entrenched managers with years of seniority have an old "maintenance/trucking" mentality that is prohibitive to the growth and culture of the company.

It's the good old boy "do as I say, not as I do" mentality. You are told "we work as a team, your input and suggestions on how we can improve are welcomed with open arms". It's a myth and don't fall for it.
Pros
Overall J.B. Hunt culture is wonderful. The problem lies with management.
Cons
Management is terrible, especially in the older divisions.
I enjoyed my time with J.B. Hunt
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR23 January 2017
I drove for J.B. Hunt for about ten years and do not have any major complaints. I was fortunate to have many good/great account managers and only a couple of bad managers. The problem was that I could have a new manager every week. Pay and benefits were average. Management expected safety and not only preached it like I found with other trucking companies. I was never forced to drive unsafe equipment or in unsafe conditions.
Pros
Management and Safety
Cons
Revolving door of managers.
company is ok for getting started in the industry
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR26 January 2017
I started at JB making around 40 cents a mile and mostly stayed in the northeast of the country. in order to have more home time they can put you on regional ( again northeast ) and they will drop your pay. they will give you a hard time if you idle the truck no matter what the temp is. I was making less than 30 cents a mile when I had to leave because I couldn't support my family. that was long ago so maybe things are better there now I hope!
Pros
Cons
Cold or Hot off duty times on the road! not enough pay for a family
This was 4 to 6 weeks over the road going thru all types of weather away from family
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fife, WA14 February 2017
It was a TDS and very hard. Especially during the winter when you had to put chains on the truck and trailer... You also had to follow all DOT regulations state and federal you had to keep your truck up to par lights going brakes working make sure everything was clean pick up deliveries on and drop them off and different States from coast to coast
Pros
It was like a paid vacation I got to see a lot of family
Cons
I was away from my family for the six weeks at a time no I'm
Low Pay, Slow Trucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC30 December 2016
Safety Conscious, Good Equipment, Low Pay, Slow Trucks, Great People. Note: Expect to see a doctor for a DOT Physical if more than two days is missed on the job. Good with offering recognition for time with company. Corporate office will mail a small box with certificate, patch and pin for each year of service and may offer a gift of choice if the year was completed without accident. Overall the CEO is only interested in enriching his pockets and the companies bottom line. I know drivers who have been there for years yet still live on a pauper's wage. If you want a pat on the back and a kick in the butt, go work for JB Hunt. And the truth shall set you free.
Pros
Large company with many options
Cons
Low Pay. Number 1 driver on yard but made only 38K
Poor culture
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Solon, OH16 February 2017
Work life balance is non-existence (10-16 hour days). No advancement, and no development by leadership team. Operations managers poorly skilled, and provide minimal support to others. Expectations are that you do not have a life/family, as you won't see them often. Benefit cost greatly increasing, bonuses shrinking, and staffing not growing with added business.
Pros
Peers
Cons
Hours, Benefits, Leadership team, Lack of development
Horrible trucking company
Marketing Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR3 January 2017
This company may becoming one of the biggest trucking companies in the US, but they do it by treating their employees and customers like garbage` There is always a problem with their trucks arriving late or showing up to the wrong location. They seem to be far behind with time on their software. Their attendance policy is retarted. I wouldn't ever work for this company again.
Cons
Good intermodal company, OTR not so much
Intermodal Driver/OTR (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IA9 February 2017
I left intermodal for OTR which was a mistake. OTR is limited to 2000 miles per week and you only get it if you constantly bug them. I could pay my bills driving intermodal, I switched to OTR to get more experience and travel further but to pay dropped by 75%. Nice dispatchers but they don't mind you getting 1100-1200 miles and if you don't say anything, they wont
Pros
OTR Experince
Cons
Low miles
When out on the road we do not have time to stop for lunch. We are over loaded and sometimes forced to stay out to finish our routes.
Driver installation specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverside, MI11 December 2016
We cannot tell our families when we will be home due to our routes and being forced to stay out to finish our routes. Our routes are long and hard, but we do not receive any help or back up from management. It's a good company only because of the people you work with, being somewhere different everyday, meeting new people everyday. The benefits are not the greatest and unfortunately when you have question about them or the job itself you don't always get the answer your looking for. If something is unsafe, to hard to do for two people, wrong, you still receive no help.
Rarely fulfilling work with very corporate vibe
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR11 January 2017
While the job was never too strenuous, that aided in the lack of accomplishment that it would give you when you left every day. It's a great place to work if you love the corporate atmosphere, but if you are wanting to do something exciting or fulfilling, I would recommend looking elsewhere.
Pros
good benefits, regular hours
Cons
corporate red tape, constant management changes
Low pay, great benefits, no miles, chasing trailers
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR12 January 2017
First week was great, got nearly 4000 miles, after that it was down hill, average miles between 1500-1800 a week, too many live loads killing your clock and looking for empty trailers. Company shut down for three days during the holidays and did not inform me...I was stuck far from home for 3 days.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, no miles, chasing trailers, lack of communication
Good start for local experience
Commercial Intermodal Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL29 November 2016
Like most experience drivers eventually understand that there is a vast difference between OTR vs local. Even though the relationship with dispatch was always edgy and the truck assignment was disorganized it is a decent place to get local experience, The part that was horrible with this guys is I remember spending 2 hours in the morning everyday especially winter looking for a truck then another hour for a trailer maybe longer and pay sucked because its per trip.
Excellent company to work for
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lowell, AR13 January 2017
Enjoyed my time with J. B. Hunt - fantastic people, job surroundings, management. Great 11.5 years of my life. Worked independently on the payroll, billing, and reporting for the Walmart account for 8 years. Then spent the last 3.5 years as a finance analyst setting up
new accounts for new clients.
Pros
Great potential for advancement
Cons
Left company to move to Texas
Good people
Senior Partnership Development Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lowell, AR23 November 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with. It is definitely a family.The worst part of the job are the systems being used are a hindrance to performance. I've learned a lot over the years there. The direction of the company has veered off of the path of previous years. Some would say the change is good. Most people leave due to money.
Pros
Vendors onsite for lunch. Onsite workout classes
Cons
Pay, stress
Good way to see the USA and make good money too. Hard work.
OTR Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  North East USA31 January 2017
Driving a truck to deliver goods helps you to manage your time. It is definitely a full days work and then some. Not too strenuous but you have to be hyper alert and safety conscious at all times. Other drivers over the road are super kind and helpful.
Pros
Seeing the country.
Cons
Tough schedule sometimes.
Opportunities galore, if you know how to find them.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, AR14 December 2016
I feel as though I have grown up at J.B.Hunt, they have taught me developed me and shown me my own potential. I have enjoyed every minute of my ride thus far and wish I could one day retire from here.
Pros
Great Networking Opportunities
Cons
Not all Business Units communicate, causing an internal competition that can be discouraging.
okay place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GA5 November 2016
I have been here about five months now , they have their ups and downs like any other company. miles are decent not the greatest. The only trouble I'm having with them now is them getting me home for my set home time , I remind them constantly the week before and constantly been getting home one to two days after .
Pros
xm radio, benifits
Cons
hometime, miles and unorganized at time
Very good work place
Truck Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CT8 February 2017
I wasnt at this company long i was hired as a tempory truck driver helper but over all i have nothing bad to say about this company they treated me good there the people were great treated every one equal not a bad place at all just wish i was there longer
Pros
You get to know the truck drivers
Delivering and assembly appliances
Driver Helper/Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX27 September 2016
A typical day maybe thirteen stops all over San Antonio. I learned how to use a dolly more proficiently. I realize i am a lot stronger than i think. I really wasn't in close contact with management more close with the staff i worked with. Co-workers very experienced people who where knowledgeable about assembling house hold appliances. The hardest part of my job was doing apartments having to do the fourth and fifth floor with no elevator its ruff on the body. Most enjoyable part of my job seeing different parts of tx.
Pros
Money
Cons
Apartments
fun job, productive
ambient loader drivers helper (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJ21 December 2016
i would come into work at 2:00am, our shuttle would be at j.b. hunt around 2:30am. apond arrival we would abstract appliances off of our shuttles. after that, we would put our appliances inside the warehouse or to its designated shuttle, for delivery.
Pros
not to much lifting
Cons
waking up at 120 am

2.9