“Iyinisiw” means “wise” in Cree. It is our goal to achieve the ultimate benefit for our customers, our industry and our people in a sustainable manner.
Iyinisiw Management Inc. provides engineering and contracting services to the pulp and paper industry. We offer engineering and contracting solutions to our customers that include construction, installation and commissioning, as well as project management. We also perform equipment and system maintenance, de-bottlenecking, and facility upgrades. Please visit www.iyinisiw.com for additional information.
Title: Safety Officer
Job Code: HSFSO
Reports to: This job reports to the Site Supervisor, Safety Manager.
Location: Port Mellon, BC, travel will be required from time to time.
Ensure compliance with established state occupational safety standards. Knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) is required. Involve setting high standards of performance and holding team members, outside contractors, etc., accountable for results and actions
Inspect the place of employment, by visual observation and mechanical testing equipment, to observe and report on potential violations of occupational safety standards.
- Document violations through notes, sketches, measurements, photographs, and videotapes.
- Visits all areas of the worksite to observe all potentially dangerous working conditions.
- Review accident, injury, and illness reports to detect problem areas related to employee safety
- Evaluate working conditions and recommends improvements in safety and health methods, practices and procedures.
- Explain the occupational safety standards and OSHA laws to employers and employee representatives.
- Assist the Site Superintendent in planning and establishing inspection of safety procedures.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (DEC) or a university bachelor's degree in a discipline related to the specialty: the environment, chemistry or health and safety.
- Knowledge in the operation in the chemical or pulp and paper industry such as pressure steam boilers, heating systems and auxiliary equipment will be an asset.
- Several years of work experience and the completion of in-house training may substitute for formal education.
- Skills in problem analysis and problem-solving, in addition to communication skills.
- Tact and patience are all qualities that are sought after in this occupation.
- Ability to influence, persuade, or convince others to adopt a specific course of action.
- Familiar with OSHA, QA- QC procedure, ISO 9000, 5S.
While performing duties of this job, would occasionally be required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, talk and hear, and use fingers and hands to feel objects, tools or controls.
Job will generally be performed in a site project office environment, but may require travel to and visit Client’s office, production facility or industrial/construction job site (mostly Pulp and Paper Mill). Conditions will vary at each location, but the conditions listed above will generally apply.
Please send your resume in Word or pdf format to us and include “HSFSO” in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applications, please understand that we will only contact those candidates who have been short-listed for this opportunity.
Please apply by email or Fax at 604-249-3983.