IWK Health Centre Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work - so rewarding.
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 February 2018
I was very lucky - great place to work. I worked hard and was able to be promoted from within. I worked with lovely people which made my job much easier.
Pros
Fun place to work
supportive environment
therapeutic recreation internship (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 January 2018
Was surrounded by individuals of various professions who were all very welcoming, supportive, and provided constructive criticism. Felt very welcomed and encouraged.
Pros
great coworkers
a good place to work in
Protection services officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 September 2017
➢ Supervise the day-to day operations of their respective shift.
➢ Patrol of designated areas inside and outside the hospital with view to preventing insecure unsafe activities and /or conditions.
➢ Responds to and plays an active role in all coded emergencies in accordance with the site Emergency Response plan
➢ Responds to psychiatric emergencies and assists.
➢ Investigate and follow up all accidents and incidents re: thefts, break and enter, as required and report them in writing
It was a great place to work. Job was interesting and at the end of the day felt very satisfied with what you accomplished.
Anesthesia tech (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 August 2017
Management was ready to help and understanding. All staff got along with each other. We felt like one big family. We were always there for each other.i felt patient care was upmost important to all staff. We were treated with respect and showed respected in return.
Pros
Personal satifaction, vacation and health benifits.
Excellent place to work
Care Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 June 2017
Very nice place to work! Still need to be a few kinks ironed out as to where the CTAs fit in.The parking is insanely expensive and they move staff around alot.
Pros
Lovely work environment
Cons
Expensive parking
Would not recommend to anyone
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 May 2017
Would not recommend to anyone. Has a management team who is friends with select housekeepers. Takes advantage of you and books you for times that aren't in your availability and if you don't work the shift you lose the hours. Hard to get on as full time as full timers have seniority over casuals and they jump from position to position leaving the casuals with no way to get full time.
Pros
Rewarding work and a few great employees
Cons
Terrible management
Fun place to work, with people and kids.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 March 2017
While working at the IWK information desk, you got to tell everyone who was lost entering the hospital where to go. I learned how top mange rude patients or people. My favorite part of the job would be, handing the little kids out finger puppets they always seemed to enjoy them.
Pros
You got to be friendly with people.
Cons
The people were sometimes rude.
Enjoyed working here
Info Desk Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 February 2017
I volunteered here in the summer and I really enjoyed it, I plan to go back for at least one day a week in the upcoming summer. I would start each shift by getting the patient log sheet and then go unlock the desk. I helped people get around the hospital. I had to help people with multiple different disabilities and people that spoke different languages, this made me very patient.
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 August 2016
Great place to work. It is easy to reach the management. Work/life balance is important for the company. Everyone loves what they do. Always new things to learn.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
fun workplace. experience with public
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Information desk26 July 2016
It is definitely a place to work. you get to know your community and get to meet new people. I did learn new things, that not everyone is respectful but you just have to handle it politely and be respectful to them.
Very up-beat work place with great people
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 May 2016
I volunteer here once a month. There are other many great members, but being a Junior Leader means having the most responsibility. I come up with creative activity ideas for the group members who join. I help make people feel comfortable and welcome. I learned to communicate well with people and keep a positive personality. Helping teens going through mental health disorders is not easy, but in the end it is worth it.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Once a month
Very fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 May 2016
- ronald mcdonald family room is a great place to volunteer
- great friendly staff to work with
- very coordinated and easy to find all details needed for work
- very clean space and fun to hang out with the families and kids
Terrific place to work!
Administrative Assistant to Director of Forensics (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the IWK. The environment was energetic and positive.

I was in a term position and I have since retired from my permanent job so I am currently hoping to return to the IWK on a part time basis as a Registration/Scheduling Clerk or a similar position.
Pros
Environment and Culture
Compassionate and friendly place to work + clowns in the halls. lol
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 August 2015
The IWK Health Centre is a children's hospital. It is a great place to work with pleasant staff and great benefits. I was thrilled when I was hired to work there. It made me feel proud as the IWK has a great reputation across Canada.
Pros
A special atmosphere, friendly people and great benefits.
Cons
None that I am aware of except for my long trip on the bus there and back. lol
Productive and Positive Environment
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Centralized Staffing Office13 February 2015
Although acute care is a patient focussed environment, The IWK does an excellent job of caring about their employees. In any range of positions the management and staff work towards the same goals.
working with children and families is very rewarding.
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 March 2014
Collaborating with allied health is interesting. The chance to do different types of work - individual counselling, family counselling and group facilitation.
Pros
opportunity to work with other professionals such as physiotherapists, nutritionists, child life specialists, psychologists
Cons
micro managers, management is made up entirely of nurses, and therefore there is no one to see or address the needs of other allied health professionals