Job Title: Editor, Seed World & Germination
Reporting to: Managing Editor
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Job Level: Mid-Level – 3+ Years similar experience
Date Created/Revised: May 2013
ISSUES INK OVERVIEW:
Issues Ink is a growing Winnipeg-based media company; we understand that content drives engagement and engagement drives brand loyalty. Having business experience across North America and around the world, Issues Ink has a strong media background and currently produces print, electronic, new media, video and web-based solutions for a variety of publications and clients across the agriculture and agri-food industry.
SEED WORLD MEDIA:
Distributed six times per year to more than 9,000 seed professionals, each issue of Seed World features a thought-provoking, issues-based look at specific industry concerns as well as regular departments that ensure each reader has a customized experience.
Seed World is recognized as the magazine for the U.S. seed industry that delivers real marketing, lead generation and custom media solutions for today’s innovative businesses supplying products and services to this lucrative 12 billion dollar market.
With information, advice and ideas covering virtually every business aspect of the U.S. seed market, Seed World is read by owners, presidents and CEOs to help them run and grow their businesses.
For more than 17 years, Germination has led the industry in delivering the most engaging, relevant, and topical issues in the Canadian seed industry. Every issue of Germination delivers our readers the latest news, interviews, statistics and trends that shape the Canadian seed industry.
The editorial direction in Germination continues to have two main focuses: the 3,100+ seed growers in Canada and the industry professionals that support seed trade, including those involved in R&D, plant breeding, seed production, certification, seed enhancements and brokers.
The editor will lead our editorial direction and provide the execution that is required to maintain our publication’s reputation as the leading source of information for the global seed industry. The editor will write feature stories and manage both staff writers as well as freelance writers in the execution of print and digital properties.
The editor will have experience in agriculture and journalism with an aptitude for strategic thinking.
The ideal candidate will be able to perform the following key roles and tasks:
- Develop content for all Seed World and Germination properties
- Ensure that the publications content offerings stand out in an increasingly fragmented and competitive information universe
- Maintain an understanding and knowledge of key issues in the North American seed industry
- Plan editorial calendars and design story lineups for all issues
- Proven ability to write feature stories in a lively and engaging journalistic voice
- Collect and edit content for weekly press releases and newsletters under tight deadlines
- Liaise with editorial advisory board members and industry leaders as needed
- Attend industry events, conferences and tradeshows as needed
- Build and maintain relevance on Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms
- Maintain up-to-date familiarity with Canadian Press and Associated Press style guidelines
- Exhibit excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office software. Basic working knowledge of Joomla would be an asset
- Other duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree in communications, journalism and/or agriculture, or demonstrable equivalent in experience is required
- A minimum of 2 to 5 years of experience in a media capacity
- Additional media and/or agriculture education or experience is an asset
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with a wide range of people, including sources, internal staff and industry leaders
- Must be able to identify key industry issues and create thought-provoking questions to draw out information
- Commitment to an enjoyable, positive and successful work environment
- Must be well organized
- The ability to work under tight deadlines
- Must be able to handle pressure well
Live and work with integrity for our clients, our team, our community and ourselves.
Interested applicants should forward their resume and cover letter via email to issues @ issuesink . com.
We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.