ISM Canada Employee Reviews

A business in flux
Advisor/PM Cloud Integrated Services (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 August 2016
Typical days included researching a variety of technology options, solving business technology issues, developing new approaches for delivery of services, and managing implementation of products or technologies as needed.

As my role became more advisory over time billable hours declined. When times get tough, it is the billable person who represents value to an accounting team even though the amount of billable activity may be directly attributable to the decisions or ideas introduced by someone behind the scenes who does not bill the customer. Sadly vision and imagination are not easily quantifiable in dollar terms.

This business struggles in the sense that the management is trying to go in a new direction but customers and staff still expect and want much of the same as before. Leadership struggles to market a cohesive updated vision internally and to its customers.

Co workers are amazing, talented, and most, good to work with. All persons were accomplished and professional making work very enjoyable.

The hardest part of the job was pinning down exactly what was being asked for by management, and prioritising in order to provide some perceived and quantifiable value to the business.

Interaction with people, both internal and customers alike made the job enjoyable. Every once in a while, one of your ideas or approaches leads to a business win which is also very satisfying.
Pros
People, good benefit package
Cons
Lack of communication, employee relations
An excellent work environment
SOFTWARE CONSULTANT-MIDRANGE UNIX OS/SERVER (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 February 2016
An excellent IT company to work with and a perfect place to work on top of the line server hardware and technologies.

A very supportive management and with the performance based work culture, one can work his way through the different seniority levels in the company.
Great people - Expect layoffs
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 February 2016
I Worked with many wonderful people here. I loved my job at first, however it greatly changed due to upper management decisions to cut back $$. In the end the environment became unbalanced, stressful and an unhappy place to work.

A crucial job in the company was deleted and all its roles and responsibilities were put onto my department as well as duties previously done by supervisors without any wage increases.
Pros
I Could work from home sometimes.
Union environment often stymies ambition
Service Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 October 2015
A typical day at work could be responding to outages (internal or external), developing process or identifying gaps in process and then recommending changes to process to close the gap, or performing root cause analysis.
I learned a great deal about interaction with vendors and all levels of the organization and worked with a wide variety of co workers internally, high level customers and our parent company.
The hardest part of the job was putting forth tremendous effort on a daily basis long term only to be bumped out of roles by people who had more seniority but not necessarily aptitude or experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks on a daily basis.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits
Cons
lack of opportunity to move up through the organization
Lots of flexibility
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2015
ISM Canada, an IBM Company, is a great employer to work with. It generally has a friendly family atmosphere. With lots of flexibility for work at home.
I provided HR generalist support to approx 250 staff, including working with managers' on recruitment, attendance management and performance issues.
As well, I managed all disability (occupational and non-occ) for the entire BC region, approximately 500 staff.
There was a degree of office politics that made it hard to navigate the organization, this was a top down issue.
I am a personal and professional development coach as well, any time I was able to utilize that skill were my most enjoyable aspect of the role.

I am a passionate HR professional, my philosophy being, treat your staff with respect, allow as much autonomy as possible, with out them there would be no company.
Pros
Great people, competitive wages and benefits
Cons
Office politics
Supportive and productive work place
Co-Op Student - Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 March 2015
Almost on every work place coffee is free but in ISM its not free. But i do agree workplace is very supportive and productive
Pros
can work from home
Cons
no free coffee
great place to work always learning new things
Mainframe Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  regina16 January 2014
to start I have been with ISM for 27 years and I have held many different postions..in all most were great people and great jobs but like all companies there some weak links and most of the dedicated employees carry for those weak links which makes for a great company..
Pros
great people
Cons
poor management
Good Company
Developer (Current Employee) –  Regina22 December 2013
As an unionized employee at ISM Canada, I work 9 of the 10 work days in a two week period. I work 8 hours and 20 min each day (7.5 hours average per day) and get an EDO 1 day every two weeks. ISM Canada, as an IBM company, encourages you to further your education and certifications (of which you are mandated to take a min 41 hour per year). This greatly reduces the chance of your skills degrading over time, and aids in your career progression. The management at ISM is similar to most other IT companies with great to bad managers. The better the manager, the more likely they will be in areas of the company that are making money, and are the most productive. The worst managers tend to be in areas of the business that are contractually necessary, and are seen as an expense to the company. ISM Canada has hired several employees from around the world in the last 5 years. This has made the company a cultural mosaic, and a joy for people that enjoy experiencing other cultures. The hardest part of my job at ISM has been working in contractually necessary areas of the company. These projects are always underfunded, and expectations exceed what is possible. The most enjoyable part of my job has been when I can directly contribute to a client's success. ISM Canada has a process to gain client satisfaction, and manage their expectations. This is used in our yearly reviews. Getting an excellent client satisfaction review from a contractually necessary project is a highly rewarding experience, and makes all the hard work worth it in the end.
Pros
Multicultural office, Great education opportunities, job performance based on client satisfaction
Cons
contractually necessary projects that are underfunded and the project members are overworked, some bad managers
Great work culture and great learning experience
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Regina, Saskatchewan13 November 2013
I was 7 months at ISM Canada, an IBM company. It had been a great learning experience form working in a team which believes to work independently towards a common goal, working on new technologies, new development tool (IBM report tool Crystal Report). I loved the work culture there and also the flex work hours. A totally employee friendly company. My best wishes.
IT Technical Analyst/Tech Support/Projects/Service Desk, etc.
IT Technical Analyst, Vancouver (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 October 2013
Worked M-F 8-4pm at Burnaby/Vancouver offices. Typically responded to client requests via phone, email, automated ticket/admin, and voice mail messages.

For complete details, including what I did at VCHA, etc., please consult my CV/resume.
Great company! Great people!
Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 September 2013
Busy, fast paced environment. A private organization supporting the public sector and governed by public sector collective bargaining.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ISM Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9