Islamic Relief Employee Reviews

Inspirational and Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  LondonAugust 5, 2015
I have had the chance to gain work experience within Islamic Relief and this experience has taught me various customer service skills. Also it had been useful as they had been able to teach me how to use the card processor for payments as well as the cash register to process cash payments. They had also taught me how to approach the different customers who come into the store and how to deal with difficult situation such as an upset customer. All my co-workers are very friendly and polite and help adjust to the new environment.
Pros
Choosing your own starting and finishing timings, longs lunch breaks
Interesting
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  LondonApril 18, 2016
This job was quite intriguing as each day would pose a different a challenge. One day you would be giving a speech in a hall and the next day you would be out engaging with the local community in a fund raising event.
Awesome.
Volunteer Worker / Fundraising Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENGJanuary 5, 2016
Great work as a charity, from fundraising to PR to delivery of aid. Great work on the ground, very large organisation. Friendly, dedicated staff. A pleasure to work with.
enjoyable
Assist and help other workers (Former Employee) –  BradfordDecember 2, 2015
good intentions and well managed. you do a bit of heavy lifting and assist customers with their needs and enquires. the hardest part of the job is the length of standing in one place and the most enjoyable part is working with other employees
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
not much seating area
productive and enjoyable
charity worker (Former Employee) –  Greater ManchesterNovember 13, 2015
knocking on doors for donations
working on the streets
talking to new people everyday
being confident, friendly and approachable
Pros
able to build up my confidence to speak to lots of new people
Cons
long shifts
friendly environment with excellent hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENGApril 14, 2015
Day at work consisted of operating tills whilst organising shop floor.
I learnt time management skills along with co operating well with colleagues.
Management team were friendly and understanding,they were always willing to empathise with staff members if they were experiencing personal/emotional problems.
Co workers were friendly and approachable.
Although Parts of the job were enjoyable I did experience trials and tribulations,for example,During certain times of the day heavy boxes had to be carried into the shop,this was one of the difficulties I encountered when having this job.
Most enjoyable part of the job was conversing with customers and building a friendly rapport with them.
Pros
great oppurtunity for meeting new people
Cons
carrying heavy items into the shop
Productive and Organized
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hickory Hills, ILJune 18, 2015
A typical day includes organizing boxes in the office and filing brochures and sorting mail to be sent out. For events, I would report to the office and help carry any needed items for the event to the truck. At the event, I would check in the guests in the lobby and isue them their tickets while someone else shows them to their seats. During the event, I would collect any donations. During conventions, I would help set up the booth and persuade people walking by to sponsor an orphan or donate to the organization.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Productive and encouraging
Country Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Islamabad, PakistanJanuary 25, 2015
Demanding job due to the country's challenging security situation; Learnt that organisations are relatively at higher risk of being targeted due to the nature of their work; Managements are generally reactive in approach towards security; if communicated clearly and across the organisations, co-workers are very supportive; hardest part is ensuring compliance to security measures; achieving and developing a culture of security where non- security staff take ownership
Pros
open to new ideas and initiatives
Cons
overall organisational approach was reactive and personality based
it is instructive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ENGApril 26, 2015
Very friendly place, i learnt how much it is important to donate even if you have just 1p, for us , maybe, one pence is something that we do not even considerate as money but a useless thing, but for someone penny after penny can make a difference for them.
not good
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  birminghamApril 15, 2015
in my experience this company is not very good for employer because this company didn't gives any body place for work. This company just need volunteer, according to my experience this company not give any volunteer good experience aswal.
Cons
long houre
attended workshops
Finance Assistant, Quetta Office (Former Employee) –  Quetta, PBAFebruary 12, 2015
workshop at Islamabad Pakistan learned many things about self management ,found new friends there visited some places of Islamabad ,hence was good experiance
productive and interesting
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENGJuly 3, 2013
At the charity store the roles I had to carry were to sort clothes that had been donated, by folding them and arranging them in racks as neat as possible so people could easily find the things they wanted; doing this helped me become more creative and aware of different clothing and how its arrangement could attract possible buyers, as well as improving my team work skills with the other workers. During this voluntary job I also improved my communication skills when dealing with complaints by costumers.
The hardest part of the job was to deal with costumer complaints when I first started but soon I ban to deal with it well. The part I enjoyed the most was that I made great friendships in my team.
Pros
great frienship with team, saw regular costumers.
Cons
it wasn't that busy.
Fast Paced, busy and fun work environment
Voluntary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Small Heath, BirminghamDecember 13, 2012
Having the opportunity to be a volunteer at the Islamic Relief chairty store I had the responsibilities included till operation, helping customers on the shop floor, sorting donated clothing and accessories and providing product knowledge to customers. I gained valuable experience and this kept me busy during my spare time as I was learning and interacting with customers and staff.
The only hardest part of the job was knowing how to operate the till and the most enjoyable part was deciding what donated items would sell on the shop floor, as this gave me more independence to think on my initiative and see perspectives from the customers' point of view i.e will they be willing to spend money on a item which was in a certain condition.
Islmaic Relief Retail Job
Stock room and Shop floor Asisstant (Former Employee) –  LeicesterFebruary 4, 2013
A typical day at work would be to clear out the chairty clothes that come in everyday and sort them out into sections.What i learnt while doing my wor experience here was building my communication skills with people and helping them to their needs.I managed well in hard situations and overcomed my dutys by focussing on my targets and reaching my deadline on time.My hardest part of the job was to wake up early everyday and arrive at he work place but i overcomed this by putting on a earlier alarm time.The most enjoyable part for me was to interact with different people from different age n races building a srong bond which we all got on well together.
Productive and beneficial
Shop Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, WhitechapelOctober 13, 2014
As this was a bit of charity work for me in my free time as I am unemployed, this helped me gain and improve my customer service skills. It is also beneficial towards the charity. My daily tasks would've been Serving customers at front desk, helping customer to find the desired item, sorting through second hand clothing of public donations, steaming products, end of day cleaning, assisting and training other volunteers.
fun workplace but heavy workload
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leicester, ENGMay 30, 2014
a typical day at work would start at 9:30am and would end at 5:00pm. Sometimes there would be no jobs to do except aiding the customers and/or keeping the store clean. however, once the donations piled in the workload increased drastically. there were heavy things to carry and unpack and display. on the other hand, the staff were friendly and i enjoyed my time there. i learnt key skills i could utilize elsewhere, such as, customer service, stock replenishing and commuting.
Pros
fun and friendly workplace
Cons
big workload
nice place to work
drivers mate/handyperson (Former Employee) –  bradfordJanuary 3, 2014
Company would ring me twice or three times a week and i would be available to help.
Pros
good breaks
islamic relief
Cleaner assistant (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow, ENGNovember 4, 2013
the management was good andbefore i started work i was show the quickest exits that made me fell safe
Pros
free coffe
Cons
4 hours a day
vonteery work
customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  bradfordFebruary 6, 2013
i really liked working there on my 3 mouth work placement they where very nice people lovely to work with team and i had a good ref of team and told the course and they where very pleased with me and i had good customer services assistant helped outer people really had lots of fun doing vonteery work
Pros
had a 1 hour lunch
Cons
vonteery work
fun
Summer Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Whitechapel, ENGSeptember 28, 2014
helping the needy is not always easy but humanity is in need.
A typical day consist of shifting through heaps of clothes and sorting them into good and bad piles.

4.3