Irving Shipbuilding Inc Employee Reviews

A very interesting position with the Operations team. I learned the value of team work within your own department and with other trades.
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 June 2017
The job involved removing cable from Canada's currently operational naval ships. Following schematics to install new cable as required.
I enjoyed this position very much, all the Journeymen were very helpful with information and instruction.
Overall a very gratifying job experience.
Pros
Regular dayshift work hours, overtime if you request to be on list
Great place to work while staying close to home.
Electrical Apprentice / Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 June 2015
I enjoyed working at the Halifax Shipyards, it was really interesting to see how a boat was constructed from start to finish. Also I'm proud to have been apart of the quality retro fits of the Canadian Navy's ships to make them combat ready for anything they could be thrown into.
Pros
Great work/living location
Cons
N/a
Good place to work, good experience
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS31 July 2014
Got to do lots of electrical stuff while doing my workterm at the shipyards.
For Nova Scotia its a well paying job. were in the process of rebuilding so things were not well organized
Apprentice Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 February 2014
it was a good job and I enjoyed my time there however the whole shipyard was being rebuilt which sometimes resulted in missing parts which made completing jobs difficult at times.

I learned alot about the trade in my time there manly just the practical application of the things you learn at school such as reading blueprints,spool sheets, how to use tools properly and safley

My co-workers were great people and would lend a hand when they could weather they were pipe-fitters or not.

The hardest part of the job was the confined spaces which pipes had to be installed and the low margin for error. this also made it very rewarding when you did get the job done

The best part was the knowledgeable people I got to meet and learn from in my time there
Great people, poor workplace.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Halifax Shipyard Ltd8 September 2013
Shipbuilding is a very different creature. I found that there was never any sense of accomplishment. The wages were great. That's what keeps everyone there. The company always harked on safety, but never followed through. The set unrealistic goals for bonuses. I wouldn't want an electrical apprentice to start their career here because they will never become a real electrician. Unless they plan to do nothing but marine/naval construction for the rest of their days.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Poor planning and management.
fast pace,high stress
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Halifax ns20 June 2013
Typical day at work is flipping reqs to PO's, going out for quote,getting crictical items on order. Working with planners/production to resolve and material/delivery issues.
Pros
good pay
Cons
unorganized
learn out of position and cope with challenging tight places
welder (Current Employee) –  halifax2 October 2012
ive learned how to properly steady myself in tight spots also welding with mirrors and have got practice with welding different styles of stainless steels. The management could use more communication amongst eachother and concentrate on co ordination and more respect to employees to a certain degree. The co-workers are a mix of different types of personalities, i really enjoy working with everyone ive had the opportunity to meet. The hardest part of the day varies depending location of job and job task.
Pros
na
Cons
some rules in collective agreement between union and company
long-term employment
ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 September 2012
consistant workplace learned commissioning and QC. Learned industrial applications in the electrical field. Would recommend for someone looking for long-term work in Nova Scotia.