Irving Oil Employee Reviews

Fair and equitable employer.
Technical Data Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB17 November 2016
Management was fair, honest, respectful. Employee input was encouraged and training ongoing. Diligence and hard work always appreciated. The groups I worked with were team oriented and supportive of other departments goals and initiatives. Management strived to maintain open and honest communications.
Pros
Good benefits, employee appreciation events, supportive attitude towards family and personal needs.
Cons
Low opportunity for job transfers.
I've had better jobs
Irving aviation (Former Employee) –  St. John's19 July 2016
I worked at Irving for years. I loved the job, adored my coworkers but found getting a day off was very hard. I work to live I don't live to work. I found management very unaccommodating even though there was other people in the office who could do my job(and were more then willing, because again my coworkers were amazing people) we couldn't switch, cover a shift for someone or ask for a day off. I feel that she was saying no just because she could. I now work for a new company doing the same job and I couldn't be happier while I miss my coworkers(friends) I still do see them outside of work and talk to them daily I wish everyone the best.
I wish it was different but that's life
Pros
Amazing coworkers, great pay
Cons
Long hours, overnights
Quality Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada19 November 2016
Quality Systems Specialist in the Quality Assurance group within the Oil Refinery. Creation of documentation for ISO 9001 Quality Management system; Creation, upkeep and control of Policies, Standards, Procedures, forms, Tables, etc. General document writer, maintain website, data acquisition and analysis, scorecard and reporting to upper management, and audit program manager.
Pros
Excellent healthcare plan, gym use
Cons
Result-driven on-time culture
Fantastic Employer
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB20 November 2016
With Irving Oil I was respossible for the safe delivery of fuel to commercial customers,
The hardest part of my day would have to be in the winter months, driving in bad weather
Irving Oil is a safety first company and left the decission to the driver as to go or not with no repercussions
Management and dispatch were great
Position created to take control of staff after management left for day
Night Shift Lead/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 April 2016
Very easy to work at this site with the management at the time.

I worked out so well that when other sites had managers that wanted some time off, I would be transferred over to those sites for a couple days to give those managers a break.

I was first person the manager would call if someone was unable to work a shift. This caused me to work a double shift on a day very regularly basis. There was a month that I made higher on my pay more than the manager, because I ended up in OT a lot.
Pros
Very easy to show your positive assets for the company.
Cons
Other staff tend to dump their responsibilities on to you.
Fast paced environment where you learn something new every day
Credit Management Associate and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Saint John NB14 April 2015
a fast paced environment where I learned to work with difficult customers, help customers with repayment arrangements.

Hardest part of my job was when I was a Team Lead, always found it hard to do reviews as direct reports don't always accept feedback.

Most enjoyable part of my job was making my customers feel like they found resolution to their issues.
Management is like all other places, they all have different management technique, it was just something I had to adjust to.

I got along great with my co-workers and am still in contact even though I am not there anymore.
Pros
great fitness plan, free coffee, benefits, bonuses
Cons
no parking
Tour Guide
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB21 June 2016
Unsure of the mistake here, but the company I work for as a tour guide is Uncorked Tours and it is great! I meet people from everywhere and give them tours of uptown Saint John, which is full of historical information.
Great company
Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 March 2016
Great company to work for. Good wages and good security of jobs for most part. The company has lot of clout in the region. This is a family owned business with great natural assets such as deep port around the year and access to the big NE market.
Pros
Focus on Health and life style
Cons
small city
fun working environment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB17 February 2014
I loved working here, i had lots of regular customers that would come in everyday to see me and have coffee, Managment was amazing they understood how a store should be run and did it smoothly,
Pros
great hours, great management
Cons
poor salary
A great place to work, gained great experience.
Irving Energy Division (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 February 2016
A great place to gain skills and abilities, with some great perks such as education and wellness reimbursements. Enjoyed the diversity of the role, and working with a great group of peers.
This was a fun place to work, great coworkers
Night time cashier (Former Employee) –  Paradise, NL28 January 2016
My position here was as night time cashier. I would serve customers and assist them however I could. Also restocking of the shelves and general clean up.
Good company to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 October 2015
Good working culture, friendly colleagues , approachable people, slow career growth , good for people who wants relaxed life without challenging work
Review
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 August 2012
Productive company to work for with good medical benifits. Great people as well.
Your a robot, not a human.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 November 2015
Great Pay, loved the customers, but hated the hierarchy and the massive amount of reliance on the food chain. If someone above you in the food chain does not like you, you will defiantly hear about it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hierchy
A learning experience in customer relations.
Mystery Shopper (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 October 2015
As a first part time job I gained much experience in customer service and the importance of good communication skills between management and employee.
I worked for The subway section of Irving Oil
subway (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS21 November 2013
I worked for The subway section of Irving Oil.
A typical day was busy by rewarding. Time flies when you are busy,
Management was alright however I didn't like the fact you didn't go home with tips, but at the end of the month you went home with Irving gift certificates. I loved the employees I worked with, and the schedule I had. I enjoyed the customers talking, and the one lady who said she likes to see people cleaning the tables because it reassures her that it is clean.
Pros
A great work experience.
Cons
Being able to work with customers who are ignorant. ( Its a self control thing, just smile and bare it and you are okay)
Good
Customer Service Representative - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB11 February 2013
Good - lots of room for advancement, nothing bad to say, everyone is friendly.
good
Excellent workplace
Temporary Assignment (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 December 2014
Excellent place to aquire workplace experience to an industrial setting. Great enviorment within workplace and in additional activities such as support of cummunity activities.
good
payroll (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 December 2014
overall a decent place to work. hours good and coworkers were awesome.
Wanted a permanent position
Customer Management Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB5 November 2013
I loved my job working in the B2C department of Irving Oil. They are extremely good to their employees.
I became a pro at my job and often trained others. I worked extra hours and also took on some extra work from other departments that needed my help.
My day consisted of reconciling accounts, doing match offs, credits and rebills and working with a program called Peoplesoft.
I was hired through Adecco on a 3 month contract, but my contract was extended. I wanted a permanent position there so badly! I wanted to officially be part of the JDI team. As time passed, people I had trained (who were also hired from Adecco) were given full time employment. I would often ask my boss if there was anything I could do to also be offered a job. She would often say "in another few months" or "when we move over to the Aliant building" but I was never offered a full time, permanent position. I asked Adecco what I could do. They told me in order to apply for a permanent position, my current position would have to let me go. As long as I was tied to my department, another department couldn't take me on full time. So I put in my 2 weeks notice, determined to reapply and be rehired as an official employee. As I waited to get a reply to my resume, I took on more contract work and was hired for permanent position elsewhere. I never did hear from Irving again. Till this day I still reapply, but I do think perhaps I was misinformed and should have stayed.
Pros
Great employer, flexability for extra hours
Cons
Hard to advance