Irving Oil Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Not the best for sure
Tractor trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS16 September 2017
I was a driver there on home heat, direct delivery and propane, the shifts are horrible, very early start or nights long hard hours in all weather and a work load that you can hardly get done in your shift. co workers were mostly unhappy same issues over worked under paid. The managers will listen to your problems but never change them just false promises. They don't have enough trucks or trailers for the work they have or drivers so your expected to work hard with limited extra help. They run things very tight 24-7-365 you work most weekends and they have a high turnover with employees. Your hard work is un noticed and most customers are unhappy with there service. Its a bad work enviroment lot of unhappy people. This is from the driver side of things might be great inside the office.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
work life balance, pay, treatment
team work
Intermediate Treasury Cash Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB17 July 2017
I learned a lot professional skills from my knowledgible team members and they are always willing to help. Thanks to excellent team work, we can always get perfect job done on time and provide constructive opinion to senior mangers
Great environment
Public Affairs Sumer Student (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 May 2017
The people are all very hard working, kind, professionals with a focus on community service.
Bosses are very hands off which is empowering but occasionally frustrating.
Work hard and you will be well compensated
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 March 2017
Worked in 3 different positions with Irving Oil Limited . Each position was a good position and i felt recognised when i did well . The workplace culture seem to be the same. Very good place to work.
Excellent teams to work with. Respectful and positive environment.
Document Control (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 March 2017
Managed documents
Provided quality checks
Maintained documents in electronic database

Great team that works well together.Everyone is supportive of each other and collaborates with problem solving and workloads.

Good work life balance. Great place for growth and development.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Can get eye straining
nice company to work for..showed appreciation to their employees..monthly incentives..team meetings
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 March 2017
I enjoyed working for Irving oil ltd..took pride in my work..liked meeting and greeting customers on a daily basis..never worked alone..always made to feel appreciated and part of team..
Fantastic Employer
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB20 November 2016
With Irving Oil I was respossible for the safe delivery of fuel to commercial customers,
The hardest part of my day would have to be in the winter months, driving in bad weather
Irving Oil is a safety first company and left the decission to the driver as to go or not with no repercussions
Management and dispatch were great
Quality Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada19 November 2016
Quality Systems Specialist in the Quality Assurance group within the Oil Refinery. Creation of documentation for ISO 9001 Quality Management system; Creation, upkeep and control of Policies, Standards, Procedures, forms, Tables, etc. General document writer, maintain website, data acquisition and analysis, scorecard and reporting to upper management, and audit program manager.
Pros
Excellent healthcare plan, gym use
Cons
Result-driven on-time culture
Fair and equitable employer.
Technical Data Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB17 November 2016
Management was fair, honest, respectful. Employee input was encouraged and training ongoing. Diligence and hard work always appreciated. The groups I worked with were team oriented and supportive of other departments goals and initiatives. Management strived to maintain open and honest communications.
Pros
Good benefits, employee appreciation events, supportive attitude towards family and personal needs.
Cons
Low opportunity for job transfers.
I've had better jobs
Irving aviation (Former Employee) –  St. John's19 July 2016
I worked at Irving for years. I loved the job, adored my coworkers but found getting a day off was very hard. I work to live I don't live to work. I found management very unaccommodating even though there was other people in the office who could do my job(and were more then willing, because again my coworkers were amazing people) we couldn't switch, cover a shift for someone or ask for a day off. I feel that she was saying no just because she could. I now work for a new company doing the same job and I couldn't be happier while I miss my coworkers(friends) I still do see them outside of work and talk to them daily I wish everyone the best.
I wish it was different but that's life
Pros
Amazing coworkers, great pay
Cons
Long hours, overnights
Tour Guide
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB21 June 2016
Unsure of the mistake here, but the company I work for as a tour guide is Uncorked Tours and it is great! I meet people from everywhere and give them tours of uptown Saint John, which is full of historical information.
Position created to take control of staff after management left for day
Night Shift Lead/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 April 2016
Very easy to work at this site with the management at the time.

I worked out so well that when other sites had managers that wanted some time off, I would be transferred over to those sites for a couple days to give those managers a break.

I was first person the manager would call if someone was unable to work a shift. This caused me to work a double shift on a day very regularly basis. There was a month that I made higher on my pay more than the manager, because I ended up in OT a lot.
Pros
Very easy to show your positive assets for the company.
Cons
Other staff tend to dump their responsibilities on to you.
Great company
Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 March 2016
Great company to work for. Good wages and good security of jobs for most part. The company has lot of clout in the region. This is a family owned business with great natural assets such as deep port around the year and access to the big NE market.
Pros
Focus on Health and life style
Cons
small city
A great place to work, gained great experience.
Irving Energy Division (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 February 2016
A great place to gain skills and abilities, with some great perks such as education and wellness reimbursements. Enjoyed the diversity of the role, and working with a great group of peers.
This was a fun place to work, great coworkers
Night time cashier (Former Employee) –  Paradise, NL28 January 2016
My position here was as night time cashier. I would serve customers and assist them however I could. Also restocking of the shelves and general clean up.
Your a robot, not a human.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 November 2015
Great Pay, loved the customers, but hated the hierarchy and the massive amount of reliance on the food chain. If someone above you in the food chain does not like you, you will defiantly hear about it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hierchy
Good company to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 October 2015
Good working culture, friendly colleagues , approachable people, slow career growth , good for people who wants relaxed life without challenging work
A learning experience in customer relations.
Mystery Shopper (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 October 2015
As a first part time job I gained much experience in customer service and the importance of good communication skills between management and employee.
Fast paced environment where you learn something new every day
Credit Management Associate and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Saint John NB14 April 2015
a fast paced environment where I learned to work with difficult customers, help customers with repayment arrangements.

Hardest part of my job was when I was a Team Lead, always found it hard to do reviews as direct reports don't always accept feedback.

Most enjoyable part of my job was making my customers feel like they found resolution to their issues.
Management is like all other places, they all have different management technique, it was just something I had to adjust to.

I got along great with my co-workers and am still in contact even though I am not there anymore.
Pros
great fitness plan, free coffee, benefits, bonuses
Cons
no parking
good
payroll (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 December 2014
overall a decent place to work. hours good and coworkers were awesome.