Irving Oil Employee Reviews

Good people, culture, work/life balance
Contact Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 February 2018
- Good work/life balance
- Positive work atmosphere/company culture
- Good opportunity for development and advancement
- Competitive salary and benefits
Fantastic people. Fantastic Job.
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB12 February 2018
I had the pleasure of working as a student in the reliability engineering department. Students were treated like members of the team and I learned lots during my employment period there.

HR was accessible at any moment and ensured that our work and living situations were top notch.
best 13 years of my life
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 January 2018
I learned so much about job ethic, workplace moral, and how to meet deadlines...and work efficiently. I only left because the current management made my life quite unbearable when I came back from Mat Leave. If I could go back, I would.
Pros
Best job I ever had
Cons
Sometimes Management feel like they are God
Best job I ever had
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 January 2018
Thus is not hard work. Pretty laid back Saftey is a big deal. If the roads aren't safe. Get off them. No questions asked. Still get paid for the entire shift. Mostly driving. Got maybe a total of a half hour work all shift. Lots of complainers. But they don't know any better. Go work for Sysco!
Pros
Laid back atmosphere. Nobody rushing you
Cons
Shift work
Good Local company
HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 November 2017
They are a good local company committed to their community. They do lots for celebrating achievements and are improving transparency and employee communication.
Great People
Asset Integrity Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB4 November 2017
Irving Oil is a great place to work. As an engineering student, I got meaningful work and was not bored at all. The people are very welcoming and the culture is great.
great atmosphere
Fuel Hauler (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NB21 October 2017
awesome place to work, management is very approachable any time of day or night. Equiptment is kept up above industry standards and the co workers are very respectful of one another.
Not the best for sure
Tractor trailer driver (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS16 September 2017
I was a driver there on home heat, direct delivery and propane, the shifts are horrible, very early start or nights long hard hours in all weather and a work load that you can hardly get done in your shift. co workers were mostly unhappy same issues over worked under paid. The managers will listen to your problems but never change them just false promises. They don't have enough trucks or trailers for the work they have or drivers so your expected to work hard with limited extra help. They run things very tight 24-7-365 you work most weekends and they have a high turnover with employees. Your hard work is un noticed and most customers are unhappy with there service. Its a bad work enviroment lot of unhappy people. This is from the driver side of things might be great inside the office.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
work life balance, pay, treatment
Great team to work with and lots of room to grow
Process Safety Engineer Student (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB29 August 2017
As a student, I had the opportunity to work with my team on many different projects to get a good idea of what type of work I may like to continue with after graduation. I worked with the process safety team and worked closely with each role in the department. The experience and variety of projects were the best I've had during my co-op work terms.
team work
Intermediate Treasury Cash Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB17 July 2017
I learned a lot professional skills from my knowledgible team members and they are always willing to help. Thanks to excellent team work, we can always get perfect job done on time and provide constructive opinion to senior mangers
Great environment
Public Affairs Sumer Student (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 May 2017
The people are all very hard working, kind, professionals with a focus on community service.
Bosses are very hands off which is empowering but occasionally frustrating.
Work hard and you will be well compensated
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 March 2017
Worked in 3 different positions with Irving Oil Limited . Each position was a good position and i felt recognised when i did well . The workplace culture seem to be the same. Very good place to work.
Excellent teams to work with. Respectful and positive environment.
Document Control (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 March 2017
Managed documents
Provided quality checks
Maintained documents in electronic database

Great team that works well together.Everyone is supportive of each other and collaborates with problem solving and workloads.

Good work life balance. Great place for growth and development.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Can get eye straining
nice company to work for..showed appreciation to their employees..monthly incentives..team meetings
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 March 2017
I enjoyed working for Irving oil ltd..took pride in my work..liked meeting and greeting customers on a daily basis..never worked alone..always made to feel appreciated and part of team..
Fantastic Employer
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB20 November 2016
With Irving Oil I was respossible for the safe delivery of fuel to commercial customers,
The hardest part of my day would have to be in the winter months, driving in bad weather
Irving Oil is a safety first company and left the decission to the driver as to go or not with no repercussions
Management and dispatch were great
Quality Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada19 November 2016
Quality Systems Specialist in the Quality Assurance group within the Oil Refinery. Creation of documentation for ISO 9001 Quality Management system; Creation, upkeep and control of Policies, Standards, Procedures, forms, Tables, etc. General document writer, maintain website, data acquisition and analysis, scorecard and reporting to upper management, and audit program manager.
Pros
Excellent healthcare plan, gym use
Cons
Result-driven on-time culture
Fair and equitable employer.
Technical Data Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB17 November 2016
Management was fair, honest, respectful. Employee input was encouraged and training ongoing. Diligence and hard work always appreciated. The groups I worked with were team oriented and supportive of other departments goals and initiatives. Management strived to maintain open and honest communications.
Pros
Good benefits, employee appreciation events, supportive attitude towards family and personal needs.
Cons
Low opportunity for job transfers.
I've had better jobs
Irving aviation (Former Employee) –  St. John's19 July 2016
I worked at Irving for years. I loved the job, adored my coworkers but found getting a day off was very hard. I work to live I don't live to work. I found management very unaccommodating even though there was other people in the office who could do my job(and were more then willing, because again my coworkers were amazing people) we couldn't switch, cover a shift for someone or ask for a day off. I feel that she was saying no just because she could. I now work for a new company doing the same job and I couldn't be happier while I miss my coworkers(friends) I still do see them outside of work and talk to them daily I wish everyone the best.
I wish it was different but that's life
Pros
Amazing coworkers, great pay
Cons
Long hours, overnights
Tour Guide
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB21 June 2016
Unsure of the mistake here, but the company I work for as a tour guide is Uncorked Tours and it is great! I meet people from everywhere and give them tours of uptown Saint John, which is full of historical information.
Position created to take control of staff after management left for day
Night Shift Lead/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 April 2016
Very easy to work at this site with the management at the time.

I worked out so well that when other sites had managers that wanted some time off, I would be transferred over to those sites for a couple days to give those managers a break.

I was first person the manager would call if someone was unable to work a shift. This caused me to work a double shift on a day very regularly basis. There was a month that I made higher on my pay more than the manager, because I ended up in OT a lot.
Pros
Very easy to show your positive assets for the company.
Cons
Other staff tend to dump their responsibilities on to you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Irving Oil. Our community is ready to answer.