Investors Group Employee Reviews

Great company, best training
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 December 2012
- Working with individuals and families, educating them based upon client-identified needs
- Assisted individuals and families to make the right decision
- problem solving

Helping client and placing the right policy and coverage for their best interest was the most enjoyable part of my job

The hardest part of the job is the fact being self-employed and not having an steady income.

Great management and friendly office enviroment
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
not having a steady income and paying office space and other expenses on monthly basis
Easy place to work with great people.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown PE25 January 2013
assisted consultant in looking after the needs of the clients. processed orders, paperwork for all aspects of a client's portfolio, filing, typing, follow up, arranging appointments. co-workers were a big help in assisting with things unfamiliar to me. management was committed and very professional.most enjoyable part of the job was assisting clients with their many requests. the hardest part was not having enough work to fill a day.
Pros
flexible work schedule, great people, free coffee/snacks
Cons
not enough work
Excellent training and management challenges consultants to be independent
Independent Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2014
This job requires a personality that is organized, independent and persevering. At a day to day basis, the job requires you to be up and about and in a constant lookout for new people to network to. It requires you to be in front of plenty people so it helps if you have a good relationship building skills.

Organization skills is very significant because at the beginning you will be compelled to do your own networking initiatives, setting up meetings and talking to the client. Paperwork and business submissions will be your responsibility as well but your manager should be able to help you go through most of the procedures that are required to follow.

The hardest part about this job is the constant worry that you will have since it is a 100% commission with only a little support given by the company if you acquire clients and achieve a certain amount of business transactions with them.
Pros
Free control of your time, complete flexibility in terms of work effort and compensation
Cons
Constant worry about the income especially at the "take-off" stage
Investors Group is a great employee.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2015
Investors Group is a great employee. There salary is really good. There is a lot of opportunities to grow within the company. As an consultant, you learn alot about the various investment products and about various business sectors.
Many perqs depending upon representative I worked for.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 November 2013
Arrived before my boss every day. He had to work evenings meeting with clients.

I learned a great deal about investments, how to process the paperwork entailing many thousands of dollars.

The management of the company is very organized. My co-workers were excellent.

The hardest part of the job was cold calling.

My boss and I had a very productive relationship.
Pros
Working toward the success of one person.
Cons
Being dependent upon ONE person for employment.
some sports or fun outing, lack of communication between colleagues. Never have the good environment as there are different division. Human nature.
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  calgary14 May 2015
Nothing is free and easy, work hard but must have result that will keep you going wherever you are. No right no wrong but is your choice.
Pros
sometimes free lunch
Cons
commission based
Lots of support and training
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB26 September 2012
This job is challenging and it takes a unique personality to be successful. It also takes patience. I am in my first year and I am finding it hard to be patient as I build my practice. This job is financially awarding around the third year. I am in my initial year, and although I am doing well at prospecting, the deals don't always come consistently as per your pay cheques.
Pros
ongoing support and training; constant
Cons
not having a base salary and having a family to support
Very professional work place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2016
My co-workers always helped me. They taught me how I could search resumes and send recruiting e-mails to potential employees.
Tough go for first few years
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON16 February 2013
The 100% commission is difficult for consultants just starting out and the support differs from office to office. I also believed their products and some of their business practices were out dated, which hurt our customers. As a result I had a hard time staying with the firm
Pros
flexible work schedule, large earning potential
Cons
no job security, costs $700 a month to work there, 100% commission, out-dated products
Tough Job
CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2015
75% of consultants do not make it after the first year. Need a large network of supporters. If you ever end up leaving the company because you did not succeed. Prepare to PAY the company $$$ because you are likely to owe the company money.
Amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 May 2015
The management was beyond organized and understanding. The coworkers were fun and theres was always some form of appreciation for the employees whether it be free pizza or the boss taking us out for dinner quite often. Would recommend this job opportunity to anyone.
Pros
free lunches, compensated hours, flexibility
Not a fan
Licensed Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON28 December 2012
Management only cares about you making money, so they get more money, due to their "cut". If you're unhappy there, they try to talk you into staying anyway, cause again, they make money off recruits. It's all commission, so if you fail, you fail hard...but if you want to succeed, you pretty much are always focused on work and don't have much of a life outside of work.
Solid Foundation for a Canadian's guide to money
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 December 2015
Investors Group opened my eyes to the whole concept to managing finances. My role as a Financial Adviser was to help families plan their financial future, set goals and plan for the unexpected. Throughout the job, I gathered a lot of knowledge regarding taxation and how to make your money give you the best returns. A work day would typically consist to me servicing client investments and prospect new clients. I have learnt a lot of new ways to acquire new clients through hosting programs and events. I also managed a team that helped me gather new clients through tele-marketing. My co-workers were all wonderful and unique individuals. They conducted their schedule in different ways and there's a lot I have learnt being around such dynamic co-workers. Sometimes the hardest part of the job was to keep motivated and to stay on track during prospecting. Another hard yet rewarding process of the job was to manage the emotions of the clients during periods of market volatility. While it is a tough time, I took accountability and handled all the concerns which left them feeling calmer and more engaged about their financial portfolio.
Pros
So much information and resources readily available regarding money
Cons
emotional roller coaster at times
They are in the business of selling fees not managing money professionaly
Senior Executive Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2015
100 percent commission. Can work for the right individual.
They are great at attracting people new to the industry.
Management and leadership is outdated and only care for the bottom line.
Investment selection is horrible and full of high fees.
Great-however 100% commission
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC21 July 2015
The opportunity to make a substantial income is great. Many different product offerings.

You must build your own niche market which can take some time.
Pros
Training and management
Cons
100% commission-takes a while sometimes to get paid
Great yet Inconsistent
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 February 2015
I learned a lot from the time I've been here about not just the industry but about the importance of proper time management and networking.

The most enjoyable part was meeting new clients and building relationships, the least enjoyable part was the instability in consistent commissions.
Pros
Education
Cons
Instability
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, NM14 March 2014
As an Executive Assistant I enjoy working for the Executive team and/or CEO. There is no typical day at work, that is what I like about it . Each day is more challenging than the prior. Leading me to make goals and obtain them. Making sure my team is happy and all my tasks are prioritized accordingly to deadlines and demand.
Pros
great Vice Presidents to work for
Great Place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta13 June 2012
-Compliance; reviewing and flagging anomalies of divisional director’s team.
- Calendar scheduling and maintenance using Microsoft Outlook.
- Manage client database (in-house program).
- Maintain all Director and Consultant client files & bring forward items.
- Create and produce letters and documents using Microsoft Word and Excel.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
not the greatest benefits
Very hard working employees with great personalities and positive attitudes
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 October 2012
I learned so much working for investors group. It was an experience I would go through again how ever it was not the lifestyle or career for me. They provided me with more support and efficienty than any other company. I learned work skills and habits with them that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
life and work balance
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BC1 March 2014
Limited opportunities for advancement. Work environment varies day to day. Do have opportunities to leave work for family emergencies
Pros
close to home
Cons
shortage of work week to week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Investors Group. Our community is ready to answer.