Investors Group Employee Reviews

Amazing environment to work in
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  MississaugaMay 6, 2015
A typical day at work would have me arriving in the office between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM. I use the first half an hour to get my day sorted out and plan what I need to do. Every other day at the office we have a training session with different topics each time. Topics such as industry changes, different rules and regulations, tax planning, financial planning, and investment planning, just to name a few. Training would continue from 9:30 to noon, after which I would get a quick lunch. After lunch I organize who I need to call, for example, confirming meetings, booking additional meetings, and any other administrative duties I had to complete. I generally leave the office between 2:00-3:00 to go to client meetings. These meetings would typically continue until 9:00-10:00 PM after which I would come home to wrap up my day, make notes on my meetings and get together anything that needed my attention for the next business day.
Pros
Great training, ability to help others
Very ood company
Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  lavalJanuary 5, 2014
IG is a very big company in wich you can learn a lot about canadian financial life.
It is aself employed job wic needs a lot of effort and time to start eneratin income.
The team is very helpful and cooperative.
Pros
free time
Cons
no salary
Canadian position
Region Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON, CANADAOctober 22, 2014
Loved working here and would have been there until I retired had I not returned back to the UK.
Pros
ongoing training and progression, benefits
Cons
located in canada
productive and friendly workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 25, 2013
I learned how to do financial transactions and contact business owners to offer them croup benefit plan.
I built good relation with coworkers and we exchanged our opinions to the work benefits.
Application Analyst / Developer
Assistant Financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
Built and managed all application software for employee to support publishing products in daily. Performed DBA to design and implement database. (VB6, Oracle, Access, JSP, HTML)
some sports or fun outing, lack of communication between colleagues. Never have the good environment as there are different division. Human nature.
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  calgaryMay 14, 2015
Nothing is free and easy, work hard but must have result that will keep you going wherever you are. No right no wrong but is your choice.
Pros
sometimes free lunch
Cons
commission based
Productive and Fun workplace
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 29, 2014
Great company to work for, Great product, poor compensation plan.
Pros
the ability to grow your salary to any level
Cons
responsible for all your expenses
bD Mrketing gimmick
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 12, 2015
if you have contacts, that will continuously provide more contacts and all will buy from you, then you will be successful, no matter how smart you get. Cheers.
Pros
financial incentives
Cons
everything else, pay for being a consultant
Fast paced and detail oriented role with a progressive investment company
Executive & Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 25, 2015
As an assistant, you do not work as a direct employee of Investors Group, rather the individual consultant who is licensed through Investors Group. Therefore, the experience as an assistant is highly individual and dependent on your particular employer. That being said, Investors Group as a whole is a great place to learn and grow and is filled with a variety of skilled and interesting people.
Day at The Job
Co-op Position at Investors Group (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 3, 2015
Learned how to complete a financial plan for a client.
Made cold calls, to attract new client to attend a seminar.
Managed to build new client through family and friends as startup.
Fun place to work
Executive Recruiter to a Division Director (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 28, 2015
My co-workers are amazing and makes it a very hard thing to leave. I enjoy coming to work everyday. They create events to keep family included which is awesome.
Financial Consultant
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaJune 21, 2013
As a new consultant you will at best, have about a one in twenty likelihood of seeing your second year anniversary. Unless you have an established book from another firm to double-dip, parents that own a real estate company to feed you insurance prospects, plus a spouse that is happy to support you for the several years it will take to build a viable book you will be unlikely to succeed.

If you can build a 20 plus million dollar book apparently its then a great job, I will never know...

The job is 97% sales and 3% financial planning, at least for the first 5 or so years. So unless you love cold calling, door knocking or are an extroverted queen of professional networking - consider another career.

You will be badgered to sign up your grandmother, mummy, daddy and all of your friends. As this will not pay you enough to live, you will then run up a 14k draw (funny how this is sort of considered salary for taxation, but then ends up a loan, again probably works best for head office...but I digress...) you will be forced to go and find a salaried job at about the 2 year mark.

IG will keep the family clients (You were pressured to place them into IG proprietary, deferred sales charge mutual funds with an seven year schedule). They will then hand you the bill for 14k as you leave (for your loan/ salary/ advance/ draw/ whatever...careful with the tax on that...).

Its a great business model - if you are the owners of Power Corporation.

If you are considering this career, shop around to different firms, pay close attention to the success rates of the under
  more... fours. Consider starting as an associate if possible, and work toward purchasing a book.
Pros
100% commission sales, good specialist support, good training, theoretically no upper limit to income, ability to offer complete financial planning, insurance, investments, securities., mortgages. Good (but expensive) marketing support, software.
Cons
100% commission sales, expensive underperforming funds, lower commissions then some firms, a small-time rep - average account is 11k.
Great-however 100% commission
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 21, 2015
The opportunity to make a substantial income is great. Many different product offerings.

You must build your own niche market which can take some time.
Pros
Training and management
Cons
100% commission-takes a while sometimes to get paid
Fun and rewarding place to work.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 1, 2015
People who have an extensive network and willingness to contact many people on daily basis, including cold calls should apply for this job.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Sales oriented
trade shows fun
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONJanuary 12, 2015
vey productive days
learned - all paper work and computer programs
they have awesome management very caring
co-workers are awesome team players
hardest part of job-getting clients
enjoyable part -knowing you have really helped someone
Pros
trips, meetings
Cons
long hours, slow during winter
Work independantly
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Great job and company if working independent and developing ones own business is your life goal. Meeting new people every day keep the experience fresh. Require a residual income for the first two to five years getting started,
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Commission
Superior financial advice, employment satisfaction depends on Planner.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2015
The Financial Planner I worked for as an assistant was leagues ahead of other Planners in terms of leadership, appreciation, and tasks. I learned a lot about customer satisfaction.
Pros
Financial security
Cons
Dis-respect
Productive and Fun office space with a putting green
Recruitment and Training Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
This office is amazing, everyone is very kind and looks our for one another. The employees are all advisors and make their own hours/schedules so everyone while in the office is feeling very relaxed. Its a very nice environment to work in consistently. The lack of stress is evident every day.
Pros
Golf putting green, free drinks, nice views
Cons
Offices are drab and boring
Great learning experience
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
A typical day at work begins with checking and sending emails, reading the IG newsletters, every second day there was usually a training session then the rest of the day was prospecting to book meetings.

Management was fantastic and supportive.

Co-workers were great and everyone was happy in the low pressure environment.

The hardest part of the job was selling a life insurance policy only to see half of them turned down two weeks later due to the strict policies.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections.
Pros
excellent support & learning opportunity
Cons
weak commission structure when compared to competition
Great learning experince
Administrative Assistant/Recruiter/Marketing (Former Employee) –  ScarboroughJune 25, 2014
Typical day - working on research for updating the doctors lists for potential clients. Recruiting for the my boss to enhance his business and to grow his company.

Learned- I have learned ways to invest wisely and how to invest money properly.

Management -Management was okay they really didn't know what they had in mind when hiring people.

Co-workers- Co-workers were okay shared a lot of personal information to other that was not necessary. Lack of communication for business related issues.

Hardest part of the job-The hardest part of the job was at times managing all consultants that were new and keeping on track.

Enjoyable - The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and having flexible hours.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
no growth with in the practice