Investors Group

Investors Group Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Researched, evaluated and presented investment reports while analyzing client's plans at Investors Group.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2014
I learned to identify and interpreted new market opportunity & presented findings to Financial Advisor. I gained excellent interpersonal & project management skills through administrative support and demonstrated ability to multitask & allocate time to meet deadlines.
productive and fun
admin (Former Employee), Winnipeg head officeNovember 28, 2013
Was a good place to work but had no room for advancement. Changed careers for more of a challenge.
Many perqs depending upon representative I worked for.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCNovember 11, 2013
Pros: working toward the success of one person.
Cons: being dependent upon one person for employment.
Arrived before my boss every day. He had to work evenings meeting with clients.

I learned a great deal about investments, how to process the paperwork entailing many thousands of dollars.

The management of the company is very organized. My co-workers were excellent.

The hardest part of the job was cold calling.

My boss and I had a very productive – more... relationship. – less
Interesting and Fun Place To Work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Concord, ONNovember 5, 2013
Pros: potluck lunches, trips, exciting region meetings
Cons: quiet office, quick turn around
The Vaughan Office was a great place to work. There are a number of individuals who are always willing to help and assist if it is needed. Fun excursions away from the office add to the office moral. Great hours and flexible support.
productive and friendly workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 25, 2013
I learned how to do financial transactions and contact business owners to offer them croup benefit plan.
I built good relation with coworkers and we exchanged our opinions to the work benefits.
All are good
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 17, 2013
Everything is good and awesome but just thinking about family in Moncton so would like to get together with them there.
It was good experinces
asistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: intresting job
Cons: short time
It was a good experinces that helped me to undersantd the value of the job.I was happy that i was hired to be a volunteer.
Investment Manager
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 7, 2013
Pros: make your own schedule, unlimited income
Cons: no salary base, had to build your own clientele from scratch
Taught me how to be self motivated and manage time well.
It gave me the opportunity to be outgoing and interact with strangers I had never met.
I had to complete my IFIC and LLQP, which gave me a great understanding of our insurance and investments market.
You are self-employed and very flexible
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJuly 1, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: 100% commission
-You schedule your own hours and book appointments with clients
-unlimited income potential
-you market and sell full range of financial and insurance products
Excellent training, great support, respectful environment, endless learning
Consultant (Current Employee), TorontoJune 30, 2013
Pros: great support
Cons: commission based
Day starts with training sessions in the mornings, various topics, sales techniques etc...We head to our meetings with clients where we try to help them out achieve their lond term goals. This job requires great self-discipline and management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the different new experience with each client, when you realize you had – more... an impact on their lives. The hard part is dealing with objections and being very creative in trying to meet as many people as you can. – less
Financial Consultant
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), British ColumbiaJune 21, 2013
Pros: 100% commission sales, good specialist support, good training, theoretically no upper limit to income, ability to offer complete financial planning, insurance, investments, securities., mortgages. good (but expensive) marketing support, software.
Cons: 100% commission sales, expensive underperforming funds, lower commissions then some firms, a small-time rep - average account is 11k.
As a new consultant you will at best, have about a one in twenty likelihood of seeing your second year anniversary. Unless you have an established book from another firm to double-dip, parents that own a real estate company to feed you insurance prospects, plus a spouse that is happy to support you for the several years it will take to build a viable – more... book you will be unlikely to succeed.

If you can build a 20 plus million dollar book apparently its then a great job, I will never know...

The job is 97% sales and 3% financial planning, at least for the first 5 or so years. So unless you love cold calling, door knocking or are an extroverted queen of professional networking - consider another career.

You will be badgered to sign up your grandmother, mummy, daddy and all of your friends. As this will not pay you enough to live, you will then run up a 14k draw (funny how this is sort of considered salary for taxation, but then ends up a loan, again probably works best for head office...but I digress...) you will be forced to go and find a salaried job at about the 2 year mark.

IG will keep the family clients (You were pressured to place them into IG proprietary, deferred sales charge mutual funds with an seven year schedule). They will then hand you the bill for 14k as you leave (for your loan/ salary/ advance/ draw/ whatever...careful with the tax on that...).

Its a great business model - if you are the owners of Power Corporation.

If you are considering this career, shop around to different firms, pay close attention to the success rates of the under fours. Consider starting as an associate if possible, and work toward purchasing a book. – less
Fast-Paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 24, 2013
Pros: meeting rooms
Cons: parking spot
Creative strategies to balance , plan and monitor progress at work. I learnt about business development and interacted with co-workers on daily basis. The hardest part of the job was to balance the two aspects of administration and customer service. I enjoyed the satisfaction of customers and servicing clients on daily basis.
Independent and challenging environment.
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMay 7, 2013
Pros: indepency
Cons: long hours, very competitve, 100% commision
A typical day with Investors Group requires a lot of planning. One must arrange meetings with clients and in the evening must meet with potential clients and discuss their financial needs.

The job is 100% commision which means you are given the opportunity to determine your own salary. The harder you work, the bigger the financial reward could potentially – more... be! – less
Professional, challenging, entrepreneurial, outgoing
FINANCIAL ADVISOR, ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2013
While my experience with Investors Group was short it was the job that had the greatest impact on my life. The training there has helped sharpen certain skills like marketing, sales, customer/client service, human relation skills like developing relationships with people, a better understanding of how to run your own business or practice. It has helped – more... me develop a sense of professionalism that I still carry with me to date. I have a greater working knowledge on client life cycles and demographics, and how to provide value. The training and resources were amazing when it came to investments, insurance, mortgages, and other products and services available. My co workers there were fantastic. There was lots of support from them as well as the management. I valued the professionalism as well as the positive energy of the office and people's willingness to help the starting consultants. The hardest part of the job would be the fact that it is 100% commission based and you have to find your own clients. Coming into the business at my age at 24 I was at a disadvantage because of my experience and network. However I gave it my best shot I possibly could. I had decided that it was not the right time in my life to pursue Investors Group. The most enjoyable part of the job having the opportunity to build relationships with new clients, and show them effective and efficient ways on how to reach their financial goals quicker, faster and easier than they would on their own. I also enjoyed developing a wide range of different skills, the role tests you in every way imaginable and was challenging which is another reason why I appreciated working their. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to work their. – less
my first REAL job
mail clerk/data entry (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 17, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my work
Cons: downtown parking
I started out working with this company in the mailroom, than I was promoted to a data entry clerk. Both positions I enjoyed. It was a fun place to work with lots of comadrie between employees because we were all female around the same age.
Great company
Bilingual Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 11, 2013
Really enjoyed working here,
Hours were pretty good
Also office so very enjoyable
Great co-op
Co-op Placement (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: need to be mobile
Part of my placement allowed me to shadow consultants and assist them in their daily activities.
Financial Consultant
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 29, 2013
 Organized conferences, seminars and information sessions for potential clients and presented business development snapshots
 Consistently met established sales referral and promotional sales goals
 Analysed financial plans and provided “second opinions”
Excellent Family Oriented Culture
Mortgage & Banking Planning Specialist (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 20, 2013
Pros: outstanding training seminars
Cons: extra long hours, ie weekends, evenings
Typical Day - Start working by 9:00am, everyday is different depending on the priority or urgency of the mortgage needs. Worked several evenings and weekends to catch up on workload.

What I Learned - I learned all the skills required for a Mortgage Planning Specialist (8 years).

Management - As a Mortgage Planning Specialist, I was included in Management – more... Meetings with the Directors and other Specialists. These meetings included overall office concerns, functions, sales volumes and ways to increase sales, marketing approaches, one on one meetings with Financial Planners, training, etc.

Co-Workers - Great co-workers, alot of fun and support.

Hardest Part of Job - Reinforcing urgent timelines, documents required and process with the Financial Planners.

Most Enjoyable Part of The Job - Freedom, flexibility, office culture, relationship building, support and building long lasting friendships. – less
self-employed
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), VaughanFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: own hours
Cons: long hours and on commission
Servicing client visting at their home, more personal touch

About Investors Group

At Investors Group, we firmly believe that building long term relationships with clients is the best way to help them reach their – Read more

Investors Group Photos