Investors Group Employee Reviews

Productive, Great Learning Experience
Intern - Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
It was a great learning experience to work at investors group. There was great office culture and all the team leaders were very supportive and helpful.
Financial Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2016
The sky is the limit when it comes to earning potential. You just have to be motivated and driven.

Great flexibility

Lots of training available to increase your knolwedge.
Terrible workplace
Executive Administration/Office Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2016
Not supportive of advisors. You pay for your office, staff and run up debits.

Lots of pressure. Management is poor and fund performance is bad.
Pros
training
Cons
Mutual Funds fees
Independent and challenging environment.
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 May 2013
A typical day with Investors Group requires a lot of planning. One must arrange meetings with clients and in the evening must meet with potential clients and discuss their financial needs.

The job is 100% commision which means you are given the opportunity to determine your own salary. The harder you work, the bigger the financial reward could potentially be!
Pros
Indepency
Cons
Long Hours, Very Competitve, 100% Commision
Challenging and varied
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  ottawa, ON15 June 2015
Fun, challenging, good working atmosphere, trusting, not micromanaged. Varied work obligations. Good management. Nice co-workers. Excellent coffee machine for free!
Pros
not micro-managed
Cons
low salary
great family oriented working place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON1 April 2014
Since I started working in 2008 I've had one of the best experiences working at IG, the culture is and has always been family oriented which allows all individuals more flexibility than other jobs. Everyone is always eager to help and as usual each job comes with its negative or less preferred part of the job which is filing but the people make it more fun to tackle the job.
Pros
wonderful working atmosphere
Cons
not too great benefits
Excellent training and management challenges consultants to be independent
Independent Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2014
This job requires a personality that is organized, independent and persevering. At a day to day basis, the job requires you to be up and about and in a constant lookout for new people to network to. It requires you to be in front of plenty people so it helps if you have a good relationship building skills.

Organization skills is very significant because at the beginning you will be compelled to do your own networking initiatives, setting up meetings and talking to the client. Paperwork and business submissions will be your responsibility as well but your manager should be able to help you go through most of the procedures that are required to follow.

The hardest part about this job is the constant worry that you will have since it is a 100% commission with only a little support given by the company if you acquire clients and achieve a certain amount of business transactions with them.
Pros
Free control of your time, complete flexibility in terms of work effort and compensation
Cons
Constant worry about the income especially at the "take-off" stage
Lots of support and training
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB26 September 2012
This job is challenging and it takes a unique personality to be successful. It also takes patience. I am in my first year and I am finding it hard to be patient as I build my practice. This job is financially awarding around the third year. I am in my initial year, and although I am doing well at prospecting, the deals don't always come consistently as per your pay cheques.
Pros
ongoing support and training; constant
Cons
not having a base salary and having a family to support
IG truly cares about their clients and employees.
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON23 March 2016
This is a company which in an age of forcing product down customers throats, rise above that. They know that doing what's right and ethical for your client will benefit them and yourself in the end. I love that view and more companies should have it.
Human Resources Administrator Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto ON29 April 2015
Great Corporate Culture. Good experience overall. I really enjoy working here. Great Unlimited income potential benefits
Good
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 April 2015
It's good company with well known name and it has a lot of professional employees, but their compensation system is not competitive for someone new in the business.
Great Place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta13 June 2012
-Compliance; reviewing and flagging anomalies of divisional director’s team.
- Calendar scheduling and maintenance using Microsoft Outlook.
- Manage client database (in-house program).
- Maintain all Director and Consultant client files & bring forward items.
- Create and produce letters and documents using Microsoft Word and Excel.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
not the greatest benefits
Investment Manager
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2013
Taught me how to be self motivated and manage time well.
It gave me the opportunity to be outgoing and interact with strangers I had never met.
I had to complete my IFIC and LLQP, which gave me a great understanding of our insurance and investments market.
Pros
Make your own schedule, unlimited income
Cons
No Salary base, had to build your own clientele from scratch
It was a great place to work. Very professional and clean office. Very nice people and I would recommend anyone to work there.
Receptionist/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2015
I enjoyed my employment at Investors Group. The people were great and there were many opportunities for advancement. They also have fun activities in the office from time to time that add a little extra joy to your work day. It's a very professional environment and I respect the amount of dedication the Financial Advisers and Division Managers put into their client's financial needs. It was overall a great experience and I would recommend anyone to work there.
Members of management, staff and executive work in a friendly atmosphere and as a team.
Financial Advisor (Mutual Funds Representative) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 June 2012
It is a nice organisation to work. All resources required and need are availble at a cost.
Pros
there is always on-going training sessions to improve skills.
Cons
there is no base salary.
Excellent Family Oriented Culture
Mortgage & Banking Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 March 2013
Typical Day - Start working by 9:00am, everyday is different depending on the priority or urgency of the mortgage needs. Worked several evenings and weekends to catch up on workload.

What I Learned - I learned all the skills required for a Mortgage Planning Specialist (8 years).

Management - As a Mortgage Planning Specialist, I was included in Management Meetings with the Directors and other Specialists. These meetings included overall office concerns, functions, sales volumes and ways to increase sales, marketing approaches, one on one meetings with Financial Planners, training, etc.

Co-Workers - Great co-workers, alot of fun and support.

Hardest Part of Job - Reinforcing urgent timelines, documents required and process with the Financial Planners.

Most Enjoyable Part of The Job - Freedom, flexibility, office culture, relationship building, support and building long lasting friendships.
Pros
outstanding training seminars
Cons
extra long hours, ie weekends, evenings
An amiable and cooperative working environment with limited scope of career advancement
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON7 March 2014
A typical day at work in Investors Group is busy, supported by fast paced technology and we were able to have fun within its amiable working culture. The Management is awesome, supportive and benevolent. I work for self employed individuals who operates their business under the corporate name of investors Group, so there are hardly any organized or streamlined career advancement opportunities within my job, neither any prescribed pay structure.
Personally and from professional perspective I have learned a lot from my bosses, they enriched my life in so many ways, I cannot explain that. They are hard working, organized, supporting professionals with the best to offer for their clients.
Pros
Offers numerous training opportunities, Supportive Management
Cons
Low pay structure
Client Service Contact Centre Conservative
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 August 2015
Th Client Services division with in the company is challenging to say the least. There are many opportunities to add employee satisfaction and development while better servicing our clients.

The agents who work in this department are amazing! The hardest part of the job is not being able to make change for them in an environment that desperately needs it.

The most enjoyable part of the job is recognizing individual and team efforts and accomplishments also having many opportunities for community service.
Pros
Involvement with the community, volunteer opportunities
Cons
Traditional way of thinking. Change is not welcomed if it doesn't come from management
Very ood company
Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  laval5 January 2014
IG is a very big company in wich you can learn a lot about canadian financial life.
It is aself employed job wic needs a lot of effort and time to start eneratin income.
The team is very helpful and cooperative.
Pros
free time
Cons
no salary
productive and friendly workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 September 2013
I learned how to do financial transactions and contact business owners to offer them croup benefit plan.
I built good relation with coworkers and we exchanged our opinions to the work benefits.