Investors Group

Investors Group Employee Reviews

Financial Consultant
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaJune 21, 2013
As a new consultant you will at best, have about a one in twenty likelihood of seeing your second year anniversary. Unless you have an established book from another firm to double-dip, parents that own a real estate company to feed you insurance prospects, plus a spouse that is happy to support you for the several years it will take to build a viable book you will be unlikely to succeed.

If you can build a 20 plus million dollar book apparently its then a great job, I will never know...

The job is 97% sales and 3% financial planning, at least for the first 5 or so years. So unless you love cold calling, door knocking or are an extroverted queen of professional networking - consider another career.

You will be badgered to sign up your grandmother, mummy, daddy and all of your friends. As this will not pay you enough to live, you will then run up a 14k draw (funny how this is sort of considered salary for taxation, but then ends up a loan, again probably works best for head office...but I digress...) you will be forced to go and find a salaried job at about the 2 year mark.

IG will keep the family clients (You were pressured to place them into IG proprietary, deferred sales charge mutual funds with an seven year schedule). They will then hand you the bill for 14k as you leave (for your loan/ salary/ advance/ draw/ whatever...careful with the tax on that...).

Its a great business model - if you are the owners of Power Corporation.

If you are considering this career, shop around to different firms, pay close attention to the success rates of the under fours. Consider starting
  more... as an associate if possible, and work toward purchasing a book.  less
Pros
100% commission sales, good specialist support, good training, theoretically no upper limit to income, ability to offer complete financial planning, insurance, investments, securities., mortgages. good (but expensive) marketing support, software.
Cons
100% commission sales, expensive underperforming funds, lower commissions then some firms, a small-time rep - average account is 11k.
Professional, challenging, entrepreneurial, outgoing
FINANCIAL ADVISOR, ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2013
While my experience with Investors Group was short it was the job that had the greatest impact on my life. The training there has helped sharpen certain skills like marketing, sales, customer/client service, human relation skills like developing relationships with people, a better understanding of how to run your own business or practice. It has helped me develop a sense of professionalism that I still carry with me to date. I have a greater working knowledge on client life cycles and demographics, and how to provide value. The training and resources were amazing when it came to investments, insurance, mortgages, and other products and services available. My co workers there were fantastic. There was lots of support from them as well as the management. I valued the professionalism as well as the positive energy of the office and people's willingness to help the starting consultants. The hardest part of the job would be the fact that it is 100% commission based and you have to find your own clients. Coming into the business at my age at 24 I was at a disadvantage because of my experience and network. However I gave it my best shot I possibly could. I had decided that it was not the right time in my life to pursue Investors Group. The most enjoyable part of the job having the opportunity to build relationships with new clients, and show them effective and efficient ways on how to reach their financial goals quicker, faster and easier than they would on their own. I also enjoyed developing a wide range of different skills, the role tests you in every way imaginable and was challenging  more... which is another reason why I appreciated working their. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to work their.  less
Very Professional Environment, Access to many Professionals (Tax, Estate Planning, Portfolio Managers, Life Insurance), Consistently Learning, Support
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2012
While working at Investors Group, I found the atmosphere very professional and very supportive. The focus always remained on what was best for the client. In that regard, all of our professionals were ready to sit down with us at any point in time and talk client options with us.

It was an environment where you were constantly learning. Investors Group would recruit various professionals to speak on different topics that would help you in dealing with your clients, teach you about new things within the industry and generally keep you up to date. This was done on almost a weekly basis.

A typical day at work would be to contact clients and service their accounts, prospect for new clients, build your network of professionals, completing paperwork, marketing your brand and ensuring that you remain remain compliant with the Securities Commission's requirements.

The most difficult part of the job was client prospecting. People are very guarded with their finances and generally stay loyal to their consultants. It is difficult to break through the skepticism and actually get them to focus on what could possibly be a more effective method within their portfolio. People do not like talking about their finances.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the clients and helping them achieve their financial goals. I loved working with their portfolios and implementing new methods to increase their cash flow, reduce their debt and help them save.
Pros
i was my own boss.
Cons
the office was downtown in a city and required me to pay for parking.
Solid Foundation for a Canadian's guide to money
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
Investors Group opened my eyes to the whole concept to managing finances. My role as a Financial Adviser was to help families plan their financial future, set goals and plan for the unexpected. Throughout the job, I gathered a lot of knowledge regarding taxation and how to make your money give you the best returns. A work day would typically consist to me servicing client investments and prospect new clients. I have learnt a lot of new ways to acquire new clients through hosting programs and events. I also managed a team that helped me gather new clients through tele-marketing. My co-workers were all wonderful and unique individuals. They conducted their schedule in different ways and there's a lot I have learnt being around such dynamic co-workers. Sometimes the hardest part of the job was to keep motivated and to stay on track during prospecting. Another hard yet rewarding process of the job was to manage the emotions of the clients during periods of market volatility. While it is a tough time, I took accountability and handled all the concerns which left them feeling calmer and more engaged about their financial portfolio.
Pros
So much information and resources readily available regarding money
Cons
emotional roller coaster at times
Day at the Office
Recruiter for the Directors of the Laval Carrefour (Current Employee) –  Carrefour LavalFebruary 22, 2014
My typical work day starts with a review of my emails and voice messages. I respond to them in a timely and accurate manner and if I cannot at that moment, I put it on my to do list.
Then I open all the job sites and start to mine for new candidates to work as Financial Advisors and I make an approach by email or phone call. This is important because I want to be the number 1 on the job seekers list.
All of these things are being done while I have calls coming in. The Directors often call about the different candidates or I call for new availabilities in their agendas.
I set-up the meetings every Wednesday for candidates to meet the Regional Director and get a feel for the business. In these meetings I call, invite and confirm candidates to come.
Every month there are Seminars for possible clients. I organize the room and display powerpoint and prepare folders for the consultants. I get their invites and encourage them. I also prepare the food and drinks for them. I am the one that greets and says farewell to them.
I organize paperwork for all possible clients and recruits for these seminars and followup documents.
There are several other tasks that I do and when I do them, it is always with a smile.
Pros
know what to do
Cons
no respect and taken for granted
Excellent training and management challenges consultants to be independent
Independent Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 22, 2014
This job requires a personality that is organized, independent and persevering. At a day to day basis, the job requires you to be up and about and in a constant lookout for new people to network to. It requires you to be in front of plenty people so it helps if you have a good relationship building skills.

Organization skills is very significant because at the beginning you will be compelled to do your own networking initiatives, setting up meetings and talking to the client. Paperwork and business submissions will be your responsibility as well but your manager should be able to help you go through most of the procedures that are required to follow.

The hardest part about this job is the constant worry that you will have since it is a 100% commission with only a little support given by the company if you acquire clients and achieve a certain amount of business transactions with them.
Pros
free control of your time, complete flexibility in terms of work effort and compensation
Cons
constant worry about the income especially at the "take-off" stage
Excellent Family Oriented Culture
Mortgage & Banking Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 20, 2013
Typical Day - Start working by 9:00am, everyday is different depending on the priority or urgency of the mortgage needs. Worked several evenings and weekends to catch up on workload.

What I Learned - I learned all the skills required for a Mortgage Planning Specialist (8 years).

Management - As a Mortgage Planning Specialist, I was included in Management Meetings with the Directors and other Specialists. These meetings included overall office concerns, functions, sales volumes and ways to increase sales, marketing approaches, one on one meetings with Financial Planners, training, etc.

Co-Workers - Great co-workers, alot of fun and support.

Hardest Part of Job - Reinforcing urgent timelines, documents required and process with the Financial Planners.

Most Enjoyable Part of The Job - Freedom, flexibility, office culture, relationship building, support and building long lasting friendships.
Pros
outstanding training seminars
Cons
extra long hours, ie weekends, evenings
Amazing environment to work in
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  MississaugaMay 6, 2015
A typical day at work would have me arriving in the office between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM. I use the first half an hour to get my day sorted out and plan what I need to do. Every other day at the office we have a training session with different topics each time. Topics such as industry changes, different rules and regulations, tax planning, financial planning, and investment planning, just to name a few. Training would continue from 9:30 to noon, after which I would get a quick lunch. After lunch I organize who I need to call, for example, confirming meetings, booking additional meetings, and any other administrative duties I had to complete. I generally leave the office between 2:00-3:00 to go to client meetings. These meetings would typically continue until 9:00-10:00 PM after which I would come home to wrap up my day, make notes on my meetings and get together anything that needed my attention for the next business day.
Pros
Great training, ability to help others
Cons
Hard working professionals providing excellent service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 21, 2015
A beautiful building to go too work each day, filled with compassionate people and business professionals.
I learned the expectations of a CSR in the mortgage department demands a high level of professionalism dealing with inbound and outbound calls from clients and mortgage planning specialists while managing your time efficiently handling e-mails and over the phone requests.
Management was nothing but supportive, they provided a high level of attention to those who require help or professional development.
The co-workers are very knowledgeable and considerate to those that they deal with on the phone or in person.
Hardest part of the day was being able to stretch your legs, you are confined to an office space for a couple hours at a time.
The most enjoyable part of the day was feeling accomplished after a hard days work.
Pros
activity days, benefits, location
Cons
sitting for extended periods of time
Productive and easy job
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 6, 2015
Highly supportive management helps everyone from various divisions. I have learned to communicate effectively in a highly professional method and this will help me everywhere including my personal life as well as professional life. There is nothing hard in this job if we meet new prospects on daily basis and provide financial guidance to them. Most enjoyable part of the job is to meet new clients with different cultures, demographics and personalities everyday. Co-workers are so helpful to get rid of various queries about different aspects such as investments, insurances, mortgages and all other financial aspects. This job gives pleasant of mind as we help so many clients to guide them to achieve their various financial goals. There is excellent work environment and positive motivations for employees from employees and team-work ability is beyond the limits.
Pros
Hours Flexibility
An amiable and cooperative working environment with limited scope of career advancement
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMarch 7, 2014
A typical day at work in Investors Group is busy, supported by fast paced technology and we were able to have fun within its amiable working culture. The Management is awesome, supportive and benevolent. I work for self employed individuals who operates their business under the corporate name of investors Group, so there are hardly any organized or streamlined career advancement opportunities within my job, neither any prescribed pay structure.
Personally and from professional perspective I have learned a lot from my bosses, they enriched my life in so many ways, I cannot explain that. They are hard working, organized, supporting professionals with the best to offer for their clients.
Pros
offers numerous training opportunities, supportive management
Cons
low pay structure
Love to learn, work well in a team. I bring alot of banking experiences
Bilingual Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  TorontoApril 10, 2014
A typical day at work, first i reply any urgent email. Follow up on any outstanding request with client and internal. Connect with potential client. make call to book meeting or attend meeting with new client. I learn what people are exicted about, cause i asked them what are your goals, dreams. What success means to them. The hardest part of my job is to find people who are willing to seat donw with me and show them what i do and how i can help them achieved their dreams financialy. I enjoyed when i put together a financial plan for a client, review it with them and see a smile on they face, cause now the have a plan in place they can look forward to achieve their goals.
Pros
meeting interesting people, family from different walk of life.
Cons
not meeting enough people to teach the value of a financial plan
Without a doubt the best place I have ever worked!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 22, 2014
It is incredible when you get to go into work and know that you will be positively affecting someone's life every single day. That is the feeling I get when I get to our office each morning. Investors Group sets out such an easy to follow time tested system to create success. The people are second to none and will do anything that they possible can to help each other achieve excellence. The combination of the pay and support structures are better than any other company that I researched before joining the company.
All-in-all a great place to spend your career.
Pros
flexible hours (you basically make your own), pay is great, support and additional benefits, management, coworkers
Cons
not a job for very dependent people
Client Service Contact Centre Conservative
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 12, 2015
Th Client Services division with in the company is challenging to say the least. There are many opportunities to add employee satisfaction and development while better servicing our clients.

The agents who work in this department are amazing! The hardest part of the job is not being able to make change for them in an environment that desperately needs it.

The most enjoyable part of the job is recognizing individual and team efforts and accomplishments also having many opportunities for community service.
Pros
Involvement with the community, volunteer opportunities
Cons
Traditional way of thinking. Change is not welcomed if it doesn't come from management
Exciting place to work at, friendly atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABMarch 26, 2012
Investors Group was a great place to work at. Learning new task on a daily basis. Lots of information to take in and all related functions are confidential. All employess sign a confidentiality agreement and must not be discussed with anyone outside of the office. My daily function was to answer phones, data entry of all related Personal Financial Portfolio informationk, filing, accounts payable/ accounts receivable, clerical task, booking appointments, call reminders. Set up portfolio of each client and plans of long term investments. However my hours was only 12 - 16 hours per week.
Pros
friendly, happy environment
Consultant
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 5, 2015
Reviewing current client accounts
Prospecting
Calls to set up appointments with prospects and clients
Completing appointments
Collecting personal financial information
Designing a financial plan for each client
Implementing the plans
Handle all aspects of financial planning such as
1. investments -
2. mortgages
3. debt consolidation
4. tax planning
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with couples to help achieve their financial goals. I enjoy when clients give me referrals to grow my business.
The hardest part of the job is prospecting clients and when prospects do not show up for appointments..
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
variability of income
Great place to work and unlimited earnings opportunity
Mutual Fund Associate (Advisor-Contract) (Former Employee) –  HamiltonFebruary 13, 2014
There is a typical busy day at Investors Group and a lot of opportunity to organize the work style with one's own choice however the environment is very people friendly and majority of time consumption is on client meetings, business planning and professional learning. I have acquired lot of knowledge about the company and industry and in addition I had the great opportunity of comprehensive learning of compliance procedures and professional ethics. The hardest part is the same I enjoyed to get more and more clients to get more and more sales.
Pros
time flexibility
Cons
24/7 work activity
Great learning experience
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2014
A typical day at work begins with checking and sending emails, reading the IG newsletters, every second day there was usually a training session then the rest of the day was prospecting to book meetings.

Management was fantastic and supportive.

Co-workers were great and everyone was happy in the low pressure environment.

The hardest part of the job was selling a life insurance policy only to see half of them turned down two weeks later due to the strict policies.

The most enjoyable part of the job was making connections.
Pros
excellent support & learning opportunity
Cons
weak commission structure when compared to competition
The company is basically a sales and customer service company. It is one the biggest in Manila, Philippines.
Financial Consultant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 18, 2014
They say, if you can make it in RGV Real Estate Centre Inc, you can make it anywhere. Work environment is fast pace and I was always under pressure. Nevertheless, the company provides formal training to improve my credentials and capabilities.

Most of my business and computer skills were acquired from my long years of service to this company. I left because I immigrated to Canada.
Pros
free formal training and exposure to the big time people in the industry
Cons
work environment can cause heart attack due to pressures
love to have a balance in life which will make me happy and productive
Client Service Administrator I (Current Employee) –  North YorkMarch 8, 2015
I love to work in an environment where I can be interact with clients and since I have an excellent customer service abilities I find that I should pursue my passion and desire to be able to do what I LOVE in life by assisting others through beautiful make up products and explaining to them how to apply and enjoy wearing such luxurious products.

I think since this is a passion I am bound to do excellent in selling products and adding to the over-all profit of the company.
Pros
have to have my one hour lunch break to clear my head
Cons
there are non that i can think of