For 39 years Interval House has been dedicated to providing abused women with the help they need to break the cycle of violence. As Canada’s first safe haven from violence, we continue to acknowledge the fact that the women who come to our shelter have demonstrated remarkable courage, strength and resilience. Interval House believes that every woman has the right to a safe and healthy environment, and it is our policy to ensure that every woman who comes to us is treated with the respect she deserves.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 2
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To assist with the activities of the Fundraising and Volunteer Programs towards ensuring the effective program processes.
DURATION/TYPE: Part-time (minimum 14 hours per week), 6 months with possibility of extension. Honorarium offered with minimum 4 month commitment.
- Assist with administrative tasks associated with volunteer management
- Assist with the coordination of corporate and group volunteer activities
- Assist with coordinating the Volunteer Information session
- Assist with the coordination of volunteers’ teambuilding activities
- Assist with planning and coordinating volunteer appreciation and recognition events/activities
- Sharing knowledge and offering suggestions/recommendations on improvement in volunteer program and policies
- Assist with identifying and scheduling training resources for volunteers and staff relative to the volunteer program
- Assisting with the development of volunteer program materials (e.g. position descriptions, training materials, evaluation forms, templates, recognition, etc.)
- Updating and maintaining volunteer tracking template
- Assist with the implementation of 40th Anniversary Campaign activities
- Provide support in the planning and implementation of special events
- Assist with donor relations and recognition activities including preparation of thank you letters, welcome packages, and other donor correspondence
- Assist in preparing fundraising materials (e.g marketing materials, templates, solicitation appeals, etc.)
- Conduct research as necessary
- Perform data entry for statistical and evaluative purposes
- Assist in developing content for blog posts and social media feeds
- Assist in preparing fundraising progress reports
- Participate in Resource Development Team meetings
- Other tasks as necessary
- Opportunity to gain practical experience in the non-profit sector
- The opportunity to work with a dedicated team of fundraisers
- Mentorship by a Humber Fundraising and Volunteer Management graduate
- A challenging learning environment
- The opportunity to learn about the social service sector, specifically the violence against women sector
- Post-secondary education in fundraising, public relations or communications
- Strong oral and interpersonal communication skills; ability to demonstrate diplomacy and tact
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Critical analysis and attention to detail
- Computer knowledge and proficiency in Word and Excel is essential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience in fundraising would be an asset
- Sensitivity to the issue of abused women and children; differences of race, class, culture, sexual orientation, age and ability
Please email your resume in confidence no later than Monday, May 6th, 2013.
Please include your resume in the body of your email; attachments will not be opened.
Only applicants with the required qualifications and experience with be interviewed.
Interval House demonstrates its commitment to equity and diversity and does not condone any form of discrimination.
“Having the opportunity to intern with Interval House during my third year of university proved to be invaluable. Not only did I have the chance to learn what I could do to help the VAW sector, the management staff also empowered me, supported my input, and overall, made me feel valued. As a result of forming such strong relationships with the entire Interval House community, five years after my internship, I am now the co-chair of the Interval House Board of Directors.”
Managing Director, Strata Public Relations
Publicist, Veritas Communications
Chair, Interval House Board of Directors
“Interval House is a small shop with big ideas. On the one hand, you have all the benefits of working in a smaller organization - you are literally close to the cause and you have the opportunity to learn and work in a tight-knit team. But despite its small size, Interval House thinks big and you get a variety of experience, including in direct marketing, major and planned giving, and special events. Plus, it's not often that you have the opportunity to work with fundraisers who have been committed to an organization for more than twenty years. The wisdom, skill, and humour Lesley and Nadine bring to Interval House make starting your fundraising career at Interval House a good - and fun - move.”
Class of 2005 (Fundraising and Volunteer Management, Humber College)
Major and Planned Giving Officer, The Children's Wish Foundation of Canada
Indeed - 18 months ago
Interval House provides a continuum of services that enable abused women and children to have access to safe shelter and responsive services...