intertek

intertek Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Lack of customer focus
Employee (Former Employee), United StatesApril 13, 2014
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: high turnover, lack of direction, not customer oriented.
Company's focus is too much for profit and not for customer service.
First Experience With An Orwellian Management Structure
QA Engineer (Former Employee), Pleasanton, Ca.April 9, 2014
Pros: pete's coffee machine and bagel fridays
Cons: everything else
I'd like to start by explaining my title: Management = Inner Circle, Employees = Outer Circle, Everyone else = Proles. They hire everyone as a temp with the thought of being "converted" to an employee eventually as a carrot on the stick. I bought it.

Some of the people who had been there longer warned me not to trust the management but I chose to give – more... them the benefit of the doubt. From day one I worked all the OT they offered and jumped on any project that was offered to me hoping to show my value and be converted. I stuck it out good times and bad. There were a lot of times where we didn't have enough work for a full 40 hour week. Supervisors would pick names from a hat to decide who worked the next day. After about a year and a half I was told I was on the list for the next group to be converted. That never happened.

During this time I learned that politics get you further than anything and the management is interested in nothing other than getting to the next pay grade. HR will side with management over employees. The GM sexually harassed the receptionist on a near daily basis but HR would fire her if she complained. The other manager struts around the office like he's everybody's friend to get you to talk to him only to sell you out to the GM. The month they were going to make me an employee they had me train new people and then let me go. Only one person from the list remained to become an employee.

I've read other reviews of the company from other offices and they all say the same thing. HR doesn't care about the employees and management isn't interested in their employees. I should also note that they aren't interested in testing things properly as long as they can charge the client for more hours. – less
Great work atmosphere with great core values and team unity
Inspector (Current Employee), Pasadena, TXApril 8, 2014
Pros: lots of time with family
Cons: sometimes you have to work the holidays but not all the time
I have been working for intertek for 3 years and they have truly helped me and my family after getting out of the military.
No Advancement - Typical Favoritism
Scientist (Current Employee), USAApril 7, 2014
Pros: can be fun at times
Cons: no growth potential, clueless management
Continually striving to better the business but consistently passed over for promotions. Forced to work with ancient equipment and work miracles with it. Management has never heard of positive reinforcement.
Too much politics which has effected the business and too many good people leaving for well over a year now.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Twinsburg, OHApril 7, 2014
Pros: started out with 4 weeks pto time to use how i wanted. up to 5 weeks now.
Cons: rules aren't the same for everyone. too much politics and focus on the bottom dollar.
At the front desk. Answer phones, transfer calls, faxes, greet clients, help clients on the phone if possible, great immediate general manager now, no problems with other workers that are still here, watching so many leave our office. I enjoy my job but more so when I had much more to do. Combining with Columbus office and so many have left which my – more... job will no longer be needed in the near future. – less
Intertek
Project Manager/Technical Lead (Current Employee), Blue Bell, PAMarch 31, 2014
Flexible Work environment. high Intensity, software testing.
Short Stay
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee), Livonia MIMarch 13, 2014
I was hired to bring in sales but all of time was spent baby sitting one customer who pulled all their work. I was there 4 months when 10 of us were laid off permanently. Seems screwed up since I was courted to come work for them. As I mentioned all my time was devoted to that one customer which didn't allow me to focus on bringing new business in. – more... Other female account manager was "favored by management"-(she would not give you a glass of water if you were a dying man". NO SUPPORT FROM MANAGEMENT – less
Great place to work- Lots of overtime
PETROLEUM INSPECTOR (Current Employee), Benicia, CAMarch 11, 2014
Excellent company & staff. Excellent ongoing training and benefits package. A lot of long hours, but I love working here.
Recruited Twice, No Dice!!!!
none (Former Employee), noneMarch 11, 2014
Pros: havent seen any
Cons: " cons" says it all!!
I have been recruited Twice by Intertek in the past year. Both times the jobs were either cancelled or postponed! Mgmt never called to let me know so as i sit and waited for job to start I was turning down real jobs thinking I was comitted to Intertek. Both times the company contacted me saying they needed me badly there was noone else available and – more... they never even had the work to begin with!!! Thanks for keeping food out of my kids mouths! – less
Fast-paced company
Project Engineer (Current Employee), Plano, TXMarch 9, 2014
Long working hours. In some cases, one person does the work of three people.
Company Out of Business
Data Entry Specialist/ Data Processor (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: benefits were great
Cons: company out of business
Company Out Of Business
Was a wonderful company to work for .
worked on overseas export of goods
Intertek
Contractor: Localizer/Tester (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: stress free work place
Cons: contract job, bad management, no benefits
The work environment between co-workers is pretty good. They are willing to teach and train new employees. The management is biased. If you share common interest with the bosses, you will be rewarded with advancement. Continuously coming in to work 2 hours late and leave 3 hours early and leave tons of work on other co-workers do not seem to bother – more... the boss if you are a hot looking woman. – less
Good job security
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Cortland, NYFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: 4 weeks paid vacation up front
Cons: bad morale and high employee turn over rate. poor customer service.
Company has poor employee moral and doesn't care about the customer. Employees are out for themselves and don't care to help each other build on their skills and requirements to complete the job at hand. Simple tasks are much harder than they need to be because of internal organization operating procedures. Clients get frustrated with Intertek because – more... of slow turn around time and lack of feed back during the testing process. Intertek often drops the ball and doesn't notify client immediately of details to ensure efficient turn around of testing certification. Keep clients in the dark about test requirements and practices. Management is only concerned about monthly revenue and it's a constant rat race each month. Test engineers cherry pick the easiest projects in a given month to keep revenue forecasts high instead of helping customers out in order of first come first serve basis. Often customers are left in the dark and at the last minute are told they have non-compliances. This is typically done at the end of the month so billing can still occur without any problems. If the ball is in the clients side of the court Intertek can bill without raising any flags. Intertek over charges clients and often charges them for tests already performed on similar products just to keep revenue high. Clients don't know what they are being charged for and just care about certification compliance.

Good benefits and job security. – less
The company is productive and fun to work for
Data Entry Analysist / Shipping (Current Employee), Jet Park, GPFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work: is very casual and laid back
I'v learned alot about geochemistry.
Management has an open door policy and always willing to assist.
My co-workers are freindly and helpful.
The hardest part of my job was to learn the standards for special elements.
The most enjoyable part of my job is inter acting with my colleagues interms of moving – more... the job from sample prep to laboratory and liasing with the laboratory.
I love coming to work. – less
Great place to start a career
Confidential (Current Employee), TXFebruary 5, 2014
Management is willing to give younger employees a chance at excelling, however the opportunity to advance with-in the company is relegated to long-term employees (5-10 years)
Great place to work, when there is work to do...
QA Software Tester (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: very flexible and understanding.
Cons: not enough work for employees, always left hanging.
Out of the entire year I worked here I was off of work most of it. I would go into work for about 2 - 3 weeks, then have about 3 - 4 weeks off. The work was never consistent and I felt like I wasn't part of the team.
summary
Operation Manager for coordination (Current Employee), CairoFebruary 2, 2014
PROFILE
Self-motivated, proactive, creative, reliable, ability to work under pressure in fast-paced environments, confident, and poised in interactions with individuals at all levels, able to solve problems. excellent communication and interpersonal skills both written and oral, Very good English language spoken & written, experience in different fields – more... has the ability to reach a defined target in the suitable time, able to make a clear change, success & progress in work field. Excellent in meeting objectives on time. Ability to work effectively within team. Very hard worker & responsible.

I feel that i didn't have a clear career path on the company and i didn't gain any new experience

CAREER PLANS & OBJECTIVES
Seeking a challenging position in a well-established organization that provides a motivating work environment and helps its employees grow by properly utilizing & developing their skills, a satisfying level position that provides me with a chance for a challenging career and enhancing my skills – less
Demanding and sometimes rewarding place to work.
CAD Operator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2014
Intertek purchased Hi-CAD about 5 years ago. Some things about the organizational structure have changed that are difficult. Although some people who work there find the hectic nature of the work, and the demands around the clock to be unsuitable, this is actually one of the things I like.
productive
Laboratory Services - Latin America Manager (Former Employee), benicia, californiaJanuary 28, 2014
Really multitask job and enjoyable.
My day was dealing with since techs to sales to vendors to clients. Extensive work in quality, lab, ISO 17015 and so on.
Excellent company, national and international locations and divisions
Core Member/Management Team (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2014
Texas City, AIM division, the Managing Director is a perfect fit, accounting, HR, others are great!

Assigned to a Petro/Chem location in south texas, co-workers are the best in the business.

About intertek

Intertek is a nosy nellie when it comes to product safety and international trade. The company, a leading provider of testing – Read more