Interior Health Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Would Not Recommend
Support Services (Current Employee), Okanagan, BCMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Compensation, Flexibility(Casual)
Cons: Management, Union, Contract
Fair compensation for an entry level position. Lots of work available as a casual if you are available 24/7. Poor rotating schedules for full time/part time employees that do not allow for consistent set days off. Management is very inexperienced with front line operations. Borderline bullying and harassment from high pressure management and supervisors is common. This is contract work that is managed by a high powered corporation.
Very unhealthy environment
RN (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 8, 2016
Pros: none
Cons: all of it
Honestly a horrible place to be. Nursing staff are some of the most bitter and burnt out people I have met. If you are casual, regular staff abuse you. The system they operate on is archaic and if the public knew about the med errors due to this there would be shock followed by uproar. Many of the units are falling apart and filthy, there is overuse of pinels due to daily staff shortages (a restraint device). There is very little to no support staff ie care aides so a nurse is left to 6 pts to do all care, this is an impossible task. I felt like my licensure was always at risk and this all goes onder the nose of management. Do not apply here or transfer to Interior Health. Perhaps the new CEO will drag this ailing system out of the dark ages.
Suggest looking elsewhere
prefer not to say (Former Employee), kelownaFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: Coworkers
Cons: Bad, bad, bad management
IH is always listed as one of the best places to work, but unfortunately the top level managers have absolutely no clue what is actually going on at the front line. Bullying and harassment by poorly trained managers occurs frequently, and it is ignored or undetected, because people are generally too afraid to speak up against their managers. The culture at IH is poor at best, and engagement is discussed frequently but not executed.

Coworkers are one of the positives in this environment, but it can become toxic, as misery loves company.

March 2, 2016

Worst place I have ever worked....
Clerical Staff (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BC HUJanuary 13, 2016
Cons: Horrible Abusive Atmosphere
Management/Supervisors are terrible... they allow bullying to happen and show favouritism towards those who bully instead of trying to stop it in its tracks or to help the victim/s. There has been a huge turn over amongst the admin staff because it's NOT a thriving and peaceful place to work; the stress level was terrible when I worked there. You can actually feel the negative energy when you walk in the building. Unfortunate, as this is one of the few places to have what could be a decent job in this small town.

Clients were fantastic... the job itself I loved...

Perhaps if there were a more male/female balance instead of it being 95% women, it could/would be better. The Union/Stewards also needs to be much stronger for the clerical staff, they allow too much to go on.
Terrible Place to Work
Clerical Staff (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Wonderful clients
Cons: Too much negativity and bullying...
Bullying and harassment goes on everyday, by management and co-workers. Union is very weak, only does bare minimum to help, when the going gets tough, they jump ship. The bullies are protected more than the victim. Management does not nip conflicts in the bud.

The job itself was really great, but the work environment itself, extremely stressful.

November 26, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to review IH! Thanks everyone for your reviews of Interior Health! We value your feedback and rely on the input of our staff to make this a great place to work. These reviews are very helpful in identifying areas where we are doing well, and places where we need to improve. We noticed a recent post from a former employee who speaks about bullying. IH takes bullying very seriously. We provide training to workers and supervisors on workplace harassment, we have an established reporting procedure, and we have a process for investigating bullying and dealing with incidents or complaints. Here is a link to the IH policy on workplace environment: http://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Workplace%20Environment%20Procedural%20Guidelines.pdf Once again, thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at IH.

fun place
Resident Care Aide (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCMarch 9, 2016
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
fun place care aids were awesome and provide great care. they do a lot of dirty jobs that rn and lpn don't care too do. care aides are the nurses eyes and ears for their patients
Good sick-benefits, good people to work with
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 27, 2016
Overall good environment
I liked the past pace always something to do co-workers were friendly. Im good at what i do. I learned easy and organizing cleaning tactics.
Productive and Interesting place to work
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Merritt, BCDecember 28, 2015
Cons: Commute
Day shifts only which is nice, constant learning environment for everyone, I enjoy working with others but also enjoy the freedom of working in my own area.
Non-Supportive Atmosphere and No Chance of Job Advancement
administration (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCNovember 2, 2015
IHA is not supportive to its employees, allows workplace bullying, and do not recommend this employer. Managers don't listen to front line workers, and don't support mental health of employees. High burn out rate.

November 26, 2015

Fun place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee), Vernon, BCJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: paid coffee breakes
Cons: lots of work in a day
A typical day was always busy.
I learned how to look after 27 people rooms.
Co-workers were friendly.
Every day was a enjoyable part of my job.
Supervisor, Administrative Services (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCDecember 9, 2015
Not a bad place to work, although the salary could be better for the work that we have to do. I work with a great group of ladies, who work hard every day.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCNovember 16, 2015
Fun and caring staff, understand management. Team like atmosphere. Positive energy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients that you got to interact with.
rn at iha
rn (Former Employee), ihaMay 21, 2015
Pros: good benefits and wages
Cons: long hours with no breaks or help from management.
Poor management. Refuses to bring in extra staff for workload.high nursing burnout.staff safety is compromised frequently.benefits are adequate and the pay is good.I find it hard to believe Ih a is one of the top employers in the valley.

November 27, 2015

We would like to thank-you for your feedback and are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience while employed with Interior Health. These reviews are very helpful in identifying areas where we are doing well, and places where we need to improve. Interior Health is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all employees through evidence-based injury prevention strategies such as provision of appropriate resources, equipment and processes, as well as education and supervision. We have an established procedure regarding Employee Incident Reporting, here is a link for that policy. https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Employee%20Incident%20Reporting%20and%20Investigation.pdf Thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Interior Health we value your feedback.

Great enviroment
Heath Care Aide (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 26, 2015
I loved working there,, The management was good to me.
The schedules were sometime hectic but I loved the fast pace I had a variety of clients and I very much enjoyed my work day. I often worked alone but with the more complex clients we worked as teams. I enjoyed working alone but I also enjoyed working with my co workers
Great experience
Community Health Worker (Former Employee), VernonJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: meeting the clients and enjoying the conversations of their past, present, and plans for their future.
Cons: the driving, injuries
Home Support - Check in at office for schedule, begin daily routine of meeting client needs and responsibilities. Co-workers are very helpful in regards to assisting clients that are new to you. Leaving your clients and moving on to the next client. Conversing with your clients and knowing that you made a positive difference in their lives.

Facility - Start your day notifying office you have made it for your shift. Follow daily routine of client needs. Co-workers are great to work with. Greatest part of the job is connecting with the clients and knowing that you made a difference in their lives. Caring/sharing The hardest part of the job for me is finding out a client has passed on
good place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee), Oliver, BCMay 14, 2015
Pros: lunches free
Cons: hard to get full time work
I work as a casual hard to get perm job. good place to work and fast pace. good work environment. as a casual not many hrs. friendly staff
Prouctive and caring place to work
Care Aide (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 1, 2015
Staff are friendly and work well together as a team. Supervisors and managers are helpful, care about their staff and are supportive in providing staff with a productive, fun and professional workplace.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be that there is a real team mentality among staff members which makes the job easier, more pleasant and enjoyable.
great work. give individual care for each client.
Home Support/care attendant (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: good money for doing such a rewarding job.
Cons: evening work with home support runs from 4 pm to 10 pm, i have no night vision for highway driving.
meet at office, pick up your roster for the night. drive from home to home taking care of each client, giving them specific care.
A small Hospital has grown to be a big hospital .
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: emergency is busy, breaks are an option .....
During my 10 years I have been witnessed to immense growth at KGH . When I started it was small hospital with an ICU that was at times 1/2 empty. Emergency was slow . A trauma was a "big deal". Now we have a Cardiac Center attached to it . UBCO has Medical and Nursing Programs working within it . The Emergency has doubled it's number of patient visits . It's become a busy busy place. Occupansy is at 100 % most days . Itis in short like any other hospital found in a bigger city .
Very friendly workplace
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Trail, BCOctober 10, 2012
It is a friendly workplace. I have learned that it is essential to listen to the resident's needs and wishes and that you need to make sure that they feel at home. It is our job to make sure they feel welcome and that we attend to their needs. Communication among co-workers is crucial. The most difficult aspect of this job is that it is very physical and takes a toll on the body. I enjoy interacting with the residents and listening to their life stories.
Headquarters