Interior Health Employee Reviews in Canada

Would Not Recommend
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BCMarch 8, 2016
Fair compensation for an entry level position. Lots of work available as a casual if you are available 24/7. Poor rotating schedules for full time/part time employees that do not allow for consistent set days off. Management is very inexperienced with front line operations. Borderline bullying and harassment from high pressure management and supervisors is common. This is contract work that is managed by a high powered corporation.
Pros
Compensation, Flexibility(Casual)
Cons
Management, Union, Contract
Supervisor, Administrative Services (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCDecember 9, 2015
Not a bad place to work, although the salary could be better for the work that we have to do. I work with a great group of ladies, who work hard every day.
Suggest looking elsewhere
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  kelownaFebruary 18, 2016
IH is always listed as one of the best places to work, but unfortunately the top level managers have absolutely no clue what is actually going on at the front line. Bullying and harassment by poorly trained managers occurs frequently, and it is ignored or undetected, because people are generally too afraid to speak up against their managers. The culture at IH is poor at best, and engagement is discussed frequently but not executed.

Coworkers are one of the positives in this environment, but it can become toxic, as misery loves company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Bad, bad, bad management

Comment – March 2, 2016

Very unhealthy environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMarch 8, 2016
Honestly a horrible place to be. Nursing staff are some of the most bitter and burnt out people I have met. If you are casual, regular staff abuse you. The system they operate on is archaic and if the public knew about the med errors due to this there would be shock followed by uproar. Many of the units are falling apart and filthy, there is overuse of pinels due to daily staff shortages (a restraint device). There is very little to no support staff ie care aides so a nurse is left to 6 pts to do all care, this is an impossible task. I felt like my licensure was always at risk and this all goes onder the nose of management. Do not apply here or transfer to Interior Health. Perhaps the new CEO will drag this ailing system out of the dark ages.
Pros
Cons
all of it
Worst place I have ever worked....
Clerical Staff (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC HUJanuary 13, 2016
Management/Supervisors are terrible... they allow bullying to happen and show favouritism towards those who bully instead of trying to stop it in its tracks or to help the victim/s. There has been a huge turn over amongst the admin staff because it's NOT a thriving and peaceful place to work; the stress level was terrible when I worked there. You can actually feel the negative energy when you walk in the building. Unfortunate, as this is one of the few places to have what could be a decent job in this small town.

Clients were fantastic... the job itself I loved...

Perhaps if there were a more male/female balance instead of it being 95% women, it could/would be better. The Union/Stewards also needs to be much stronger for the clerical staff, they allow too much to go on.
Cons
Horrible Abusive Atmosphere
Interior Health
Registered Psychiatric Nurse - KGH (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 20, 2016
Working with Interior Health has been a very positive experience. I started a new chapter in my life last year when I moved to the Okanagan and through my employment with this company have had the pleasure to work alongside amazing inspiring and supportive coworkers as well as supportive management team. The Interior provides the outdoor living I love to fully embrace a well balanced lifestyle of work and pleasure.
fun place
Resident Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCMarch 9, 2016
fun place care aids were awesome and provide great care. they do a lot of dirty jobs that rn and lpn don't care too do. care aides are the nurses eyes and ears for their patients
Pros
free lunch
rn at iha
rn (Former Employee) –  ihaMay 21, 2015
Poor management. Refuses to bring in extra staff for workload.high nursing burnout.staff safety is compromised frequently.benefits are adequate and the pay is good.I find it hard to believe Ih a is one of the top employers in the valley.
Pros
good benefits and wages
Cons
long hours with no breaks or help from management.

Comment – November 27, 2015

We would like to thank-you for your feedback and are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience while employed with Interior Health. These reviews are very helpful in identifying areas where we are doing well, and places where we need to improve. Interior Health is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all employees through evidence-based injury prevention strategies such as provision of appropriate resources, equipment and processes, as well as education and supervision. We have an established procedure regarding Employee Incident Reporting, here is a link for that policy. https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Employee%20Incident%20Reporting%20and%20Investigation.pdf Thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Interior Health we value your feedback.

Terrible Place to Work
Clerical Staff (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCOctober 22, 2015
Bullying and harassment goes on everyday, by management and co-workers. Union is very weak, only does bare minimum to help, when the going gets tough, they jump ship. The bullies are protected more than the victim. Management does not nip conflicts in the bud.

The job itself was really great, but the work environment itself, extremely stressful.
Pros
Wonderful clients
Cons
Too much negativity and bullying...

Comment – November 26, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to review IH! Thanks everyone for your reviews of Interior Health! We value your feedback and rely on the input of our staff to make this a great place to work. These reviews are very helpful in identifying areas where we are doing well, and places where we need to improve. We noticed a recent post from a former employee who speaks about bullying. IH takes bullying very seriously. We provide training to workers and supervisors on workplace harassment, we have an established reporting procedure, and we have a process for investigating bullying and dealing with incidents or complaints. Here is a link to the IH policy on workplace environment: http://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Workplace%20Environment%20Procedural%20Guidelines.pdf Once again, thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at IH.

Good sick-benefits, good people to work with
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 27, 2016
Overall good environment
I liked the past pace always something to do co-workers were friendly. Im good at what i do. I learned easy and organizing cleaning tactics.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 16, 2015
Fun and caring staff, understand management. Team like atmosphere. Positive energy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients that you got to interact with.
Fun place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day was always busy.
I learned how to look after 27 people rooms.
Co-workers were friendly.
Every day was a enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
paid coffee breakes
Cons
lots of work in a day
Productive and Interesting place to work
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BCDecember 28, 2015
Day shifts only which is nice, constant learning environment for everyone, I enjoy working with others but also enjoy the freedom of working in my own area.
Cons
Commute
descent place to work with benefits
Cook/ Housekeeping/Perioperative Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 7, 2012
I work full time as a housekeeper as you need to build senority to bid into a fulltime cook positon. I occasionally get pulled from my housekeeping job to fill in for cooks on vacation etc. the managment is strict. the hardest part of my job is the politics that are involved with working in a union environment. the most enjoyable part of my job is working with the patients and the other staff who also enjoy their jobs.
Pros
the wage and benefits and working with the other staff and patients
Cons
managment politics
Non-Supportive Atmosphere and No Chance of Job Advancement
administration (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 2, 2015
IHA is not supportive to its employees, allows workplace bullying, and do not recommend this employer. Managers don't listen to front line workers, and don't support mental health of employees. High burn out rate.

Comment – November 26, 2015

Casual LPN (Former Employee) –  Creston, BCNovember 12, 2014
> great place to work
> enjoy working with geriatrics/dementia patients but can not live off a casual's salary
> night shifts not very enjoyable
Great experience
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  VernonJanuary 22, 2015
Home Support - Check in at office for schedule, begin daily routine of meeting client needs and responsibilities. Co-workers are very helpful in regards to assisting clients that are new to you. Leaving your clients and moving on to the next client. Conversing with your clients and knowing that you made a positive difference in their lives.

Facility - Start your day notifying office you have made it for your shift. Follow daily routine of client needs. Co-workers are great to work with. Greatest part of the job is connecting with the clients and knowing that you made a difference in their lives. Caring/sharing The hardest part of the job for me is finding out a client has passed on
Pros
meeting the clients and enjoying the conversations of their past, present, and plans for their future.
Cons
the driving, injuries
Great enviroment
Heath Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 26, 2015
I loved working there,, The management was good to me.
The schedules were sometime hectic but I loved the fast pace I had a variety of clients and I very much enjoyed my work day. I often worked alone but with the more complex clients we worked as teams. I enjoyed working alone but I also enjoyed working with my co workers
good place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oliver, BCMay 14, 2015
I work as a casual hard to get perm job. good place to work and fast pace. good work environment. as a casual not many hrs. friendly staff
Pros
lunches free
Cons
hard to get full time work
It is a good company, but not much room for advancement in my field.
Chief engineer / Shift Engineer (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCAugust 23, 2012
My typical day is pretty much the same as most power engineers. I work with boilers, and fan systems, chillers, cooling towers, pretty much anything to do with the physical plant. The hardest part of the job is not being able to advance. I love the field I am in but unfortunately the plant I am at is not large enough for me to get my next ticket. The most enjoyable part of my job would be all the people. The staff here are amazing.
Pros
stable job. recesion proof.
Cons
no room for advancement, and the pay is below average.