Interior Health Employee Reviews

culturally specific position
Aboriginal Patient Navigator - Temporary (Former Employee) –  kelowna18 September 2017
The position was created specifically for Aboriginal persons in the health care setting.
Very busy working environment
Loved the position and the difference in which it provided to a vulnerable segment of the population
Pros
Great pay
Cons
busy
Job changes
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oliver, BC18 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at SOGH but felt I was ready for a change and decided to pursue esthetics. I like the hours that my job had as it made it easier for my children.
Bad lead hands and extremely bad bullying management
Nursing Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 September 2017
frequent satiric and racist remarks from lead hands and permanent staff members, unhealthy situation at numerous work stations in almost every department of our hospital. Housekeeping staff not allowed at nursing lounge which is very racist.
Pros
new facility
Cons
unfair treatment and limited oportunities for extra training or advancement
Great employer great teams
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Kimberley, BC14 September 2017
Interior Health is truly the best employer that I have come across so far. This is a place you will find truly supportive management, great teammates and great experiences. The salary in Home Support starts a little less than a facility, but is so worth it in experience and the opportunity to be creative and adventure beyond a hospital like setting. The idea alone of helping people stay in their homes as long as possible is a positive feeling for a worker and a client. This is not a job for the faint of heart. You need a little creativity, equipment and tools are not neatly set out for you and that is what I would say is the is one challenge to the job. Another downside, is getting past the casual position. It is a hard slug making a living with casual hours until a position becomes available. Because you typically work alone in the community on a daily basis, the company has put in safety check ins. This ensures, that you are accounted for during your day. This is a company who is concerned for your safety. I would strongly recommend this work to anyone who is creative, likes to drive, and has a strong desire to help others.
Pros
Meaningful Work, and fosters creativity
Cons
Casual work, getting to the regular hours.
Alight place to work
Laundry Worker 3/ cook 1 (Current Employee) –  Nelson, BC11 September 2017
Not bad people are good to work with close to home. Travel to work is nice and easy. Free time on breaks and their is lots to learn if you choose to seek out new beginings
Pros
Days off with pay
Cons
Working enviroment
Some departments are better than others
Middle management (Former Employee) –  Okanagan, BC13 August 2017
As a leader in middle management, attended many meetings as significant sructural changes left little time to spend with employees. Experienced three episodes of restructuring within 5 years.
Organizationally, branches of the system fighting for resources amongst themselves.
In my last position i was asked to make changes I felt were unethical and caused significant moral distress.
Best part, feeling like l made a difference.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Need to be more employee focused
It is a fun place we all get along as a Team
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC9 August 2017
Working in a care home is an amazing job.It is working with people that are caring and compassionet.I love my job my co-workers and my supervisor.It is a great place to work.The hardest part about my job is death.You begin to know these residents as family.Most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work everyday knowing I may make a difference in someones life.Typical work day consists of teamwork.I learn that life is to short you must see everyones life is different.
Pros
Staff Aprreciation Lunches
Cons
Heaving Garbages
Fun work environment
Emergency Department Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloo27 July 2017
Challenging work place with lots of opportunity to learn and advance. Relaxed atmosphere and lots of support to really learn your job. Best part of working there, awesome coworkers and dedicated people all around.
Productive and fun workplace
Home Care Palliative Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oliver, BC24 May 2017
Great place to work with very supportive staff and management. I felt very supported when I made the transition from Vancouver Coastal Health. I will continue to work here.
Busy
LPN (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 April 2017
Always working in the health field you will be run off your feet . Great co- workers and head nurses at the time I had worked there. Great experience.
Hard Job
Autopsy Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 April 2017
I found that this was a difficult job, but with lots of dedication and continued education, I found this job to be very inspiring and motivating. It is not a job for anyone, but I found that I was able to work a lot on my professionalism.
Pros
Fulfilling
great place to work
Practice Lead, Chronic Disease Management (Former Employee) –  Kelowna30 March 2017
Great place to work with lots of opportunities. I liked working in Kelowna. Travelling within interior health is difficult because of terrain and weather. Salary raise and career growth is limited.
Pros
dedicated employees and good compensation
Cons
complex reporting structure
A clueless fertile garden for Narcissism type personalities to advance
Undisclosed leadership job (Former Employee) –  Undisclosed.5 March 2017
Hit or miss if you end up anywhere near a bully coworker or supervisor. Talk to people who work in the area you are considering BEFORE you take a job here. Some areas great others horrendous. The higher you are in this organization, the more culture problems there are. Ministry of Health should launch an investigation about metrics on sick time, retention problems, grievances, and budget overages due to overtime. Red Flags. They should "clean house" of Directors who have dept with ongoing bad stats on the above.
Pros
wages benefits security, many good and dedicated people who care about patients and work hard
Cons
culture that tolerates bully behaviour, management that needs revamp
Fun place/ but no safety
Nurse (Current Employee) –  EKRH12 February 2017
Typical day is very busy. I love the people I work with, they are such a good group of professionals. Management is doing the best they can with the little resources, I believe they get from the government. The hardest part was some of the people ((both young and old ) who come into the health facility for services, but if they don't like that there is a wait time or not a bed ready for their surgery or if they don't like the coffee at the coffee shop, they will start throwing tantrums and swearing at the staff. They really need to get actual security guards not hospital monitors it really can be unsafe especially when dealing with the addicts..
Pros
Staff
Cons
Unsafe at times
Still employeed
Patient Transport Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 February 2017
still a current worker, helpful manager that helps flex hours. high paced job, call center style, lots of turnover due to nature of job. Logistics management and dealing with lots of stakeholders.
Plant Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Trail, BC17 January 2017
Current management structure is not sustainable. A culture of fear from the top down is deeply rooted. Managers with this organization are treated poorly and have a very limited support system.
Pros
Some autonomy
Cons
No recognition
Lack of leadership,poor moral
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 December 2016
Plant Services management unskilled and have no clue as to how to manage staff. Lack of employees results in workers having vacation time denied by management. Bullying tactics by management prevail. Safety issues raised by workers are ignored. Union contract often ignored resulting in numerous grievences
Good place to work. Mileage paid.
Home Support Aide (Former Employee) –  Creston, BC12 December 2016
A typical day would be: taking my schedule off my computer @ 1700 the previous day. Going to assigned clients in my own car. I learned documentation skills. My co-workers were rarely seen unless a client required 2 workers. Every worker I worked with was great. The hardest part of the job was finding some of the addresses. The most enjoyable part was when I got to work with another worker or discuss clients at monthly meetings.
Pros
Working alone you don't have to deal with unpleasant co-workers.
Cons
Sometimes I didn't have a Team Leader to call.
housekeeping
Casual Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC8 December 2016
I learned a lot of social and cleaning skills. the management seemed very one sided and I felt as if some people were treated better then others, so I felt we were not all treated equally. I didn't like that the job changed often, new management, new job discriptions ect. the most enjoyable part of the job was the independent work.
Pros
casual work. being able to work in different departments
Cons
managment was not good.
Working with a gentleman with needs
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC5 December 2016
This family is amazing to work with. They are funny, kind, and very knowledgeable. They run a tight program and are motivated to improve the clients quality of life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Interior Health. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval