Interior Health Employee Reviews

Living the dream
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Kootenays28 September 2016
I definitely feel lucky and blessed to have this awesome career. Interior Health is rated the best employer in the interior. In terms of benefits, wages, job security, and job satisfaction, I can certainly say this is true for me! I do wish that they would be more proactive about supporting employees with educational opportunities, but otherwise I am very happy with my job.
Pros
Benefits, location, coworkers, clients.
Cons
Lacking support for educational opportunities.
No chance for advancement
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BC13 July 2016
Interior health is so top heavy with managers looking to fulfill their own needs and those who are personal friends.
Compensation isn't bad but could be better if interior health would unload all the overpaid executives in their individual offices and compensate those doing the actual work.
Vacation time and benefits are greatly appreciated and much needed.
Pros
Paid vacation and benefits
Terrible,
Support Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbia Shuswap24 July 2016
Top heavy, unskilled management that use bulling and condescending belittling language to manage. they don't follow union guidelines for rewording positions.
Pros
not bad compensation
Cons
Unhealthy toxic work environment
Would Not Recommend
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BC8 March 2016
Fair compensation for an entry level position. Lots of work available as a casual if you are available 24/7. Poor rotating schedules for full time/part time employees that do not allow for consistent set days off. Management is very inexperienced with front line operations. Borderline bullying and harassment from high pressure management and supervisors is common. This is contract work that is managed by a high powered corporation.
Pros
Compensation, Flexibility(Casual)
Cons
Management, Union, Contract

Comment – July 4, 2016

Our casual staff are a very important part of our organization, as a casual staff member it does require you to be available when required, some short call work. This however may not be the position for some, and should staff require more structure we would recommend that you look at applying to a P/T or F/T role if available. We noticed a recent post from a former employee who speaks about bullying. IH takes bullying very seriously. We provide training to workers and supervisors on workplace harassment, we have an established reporting procedure, and we have a process for investigating bullying and dealing with incidents or complaints. Here is a link to the IH policy on workplace environment: http://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Workplace%20Environment%20Procedural%20Guidelines.pdf Once again, thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at IH.

Not the best place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC11 November 2016
Management is terrible and bullying is rampant in the East Kootenays anyway. Management talks on here how they take bullying seriously, but they don't. They consider the victim a troublemaker and once you lodge a complaint, they make every day even more difficult for that person, so there is no point in going to them, you just have to take the abuse or quit. I don't know who voted them best employer, no one I know would vote for them and I've never seen a poll or questionnaire on it. Worst place I ever worked in my entire life. It's truly a shame because if management really took bullying seriously and disciplined the bullies immediately upon complaint it really could be a good place to work...
Working with friends
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New Denver, BC22 September 2016
I like working at Interior Health. I enjoy working with our seniors and have a very close relationship with all the staff. I have learned many tricks of the trade for cooking in large batches of food. The hardest part of the job is that it does not really change, and creativity is not as easy when cooking for our seniors. The most enjoyable part is seeing them truly enjoy the homemade food our kitchen makes as we are lucky enough to be too remote for the traditional heat and serve hospital food most other facilities serve.
Pros
job stability
Cons
not a lot of room for advancement
Great staff and management on my unit
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 November 2016
I loved my job at Interior Health. I found the staff amazing and management very supportive. The doctors were great to work with, and we had everything we needed to do our jobs well.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
not alot of variety for change
Excellet workplace. Room to grow
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC4 October 2016
Loved working at this hospital but have since moved to Alberta in which now looking for a new place to call my career. Made many friends and learned alot more there Than just from the booKS at collage.
Job security
LPN (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 September 2016
No job security even if you acquire a permanent job because someone with higher seniority can always take that job away from you. Permanent jobs should be left alone. Only casual lines and vacancies should be offered to employees regardless of seniority.
Supervisor, Administrative Services (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC9 December 2015
Not a bad place to work, although the salary could be better for the work that we have to do. I work with a great group of ladies, who work hard every day.
Interior Health
Registered Psychiatric Nurse - KGH (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 May 2016
Working with Interior Health has been a very positive experience. I started a new chapter in my life last year when I moved to the Okanagan and through my employment with this company have had the pleasure to work alongside amazing inspiring and supportive coworkers as well as supportive management team. The Interior provides the outdoor living I love to fully embrace a well balanced lifestyle of work and pleasure.
Very unhealthy environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 March 2016
Honestly a horrible place to be. Nursing staff are some of the most bitter and burnt out people I have met. If you are casual, regular staff abuse you. The system they operate on is archaic and if the public knew about the med errors due to this there would be shock followed by uproar. Many of the units are falling apart and filthy, there is overuse of pinels due to daily staff shortages (a restraint device). There is very little to no support staff ie care aides so a nurse is left to 6 pts to do all care, this is an impossible task. I felt like my licensure was always at risk and this all goes onder the nose of management. Do not apply here or transfer to Interior Health. Perhaps the new CEO will drag this ailing system out of the dark ages.
Pros
Cons
all of it
Suggest looking elsewhere
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  kelowna18 February 2016
IH is always listed as one of the best places to work, but unfortunately the top level managers have absolutely no clue what is actually going on at the front line. Bullying and harassment by poorly trained managers occurs frequently, and it is ignored or undetected, because people are generally too afraid to speak up against their managers. The culture at IH is poor at best, and engagement is discussed frequently but not executed.

Coworkers are one of the positives in this environment, but it can become toxic, as misery loves company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Bad, bad, bad management

Comment – March 2, 2016

We value your feedback and rely on the input of our staff to make this a great place to work. These reviews are very helpful in identifying areas where we are doing well, and places where we need to improve. We noticed a recent post from a former employee who speaks about bullying. IH takes bullying very seriously. We provide training to workers and supervisors on workplace harassment, we have an established reporting procedure, and we have a process for investigating bullying and dealing with incidents or complaints. Here is a link to the IH policy on workplace environment: http://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Workplace%20Environment%20Procedural%20Guidelines.pdf Once again, thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at IH.

Great Place to work
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Trail, BC3 October 2016
Young staff who are egar about their roles as medical technologists who create a welcoming environment. Team work is key in this laboratory and everyone does their part!
Cons
Rotational Schedule, Unable to get time off work, Not a very flexible schedule.
Not a team environment
Maintainance (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC29 November 2016
This is not a team environment. Everyone worries about petty
s h i t No one cares about you in spite of their motto "Everybody Matters" (P00p of a certain farm animal) . Out for themselves.
Productive learning workplace
careaide (Former Employee) –  Lytton, BC3 October 2016
very well maintained workplace , healthy environment and team appreciation, co-workers all helped each other with scedules and sick days and the hardest was leaving
Overall a good job. Nice staff.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 October 2016
I loved it. It was a nice place and there was always work! Even though i was a casual i had no problem getting the hours i wanted.
Pros
Good pay and good people
Cons
Old darker building
Worst place I have ever worked....
Clerical Staff (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC HU13 January 2016
Management/Supervisors are terrible... they allow bullying to happen and show favouritism towards those who bully instead of trying to stop it in its tracks or to help the victim/s. There has been a huge turn over amongst the admin staff because it's NOT a thriving and peaceful place to work; the stress level was terrible when I worked there. You can actually feel the negative energy when you walk in the building. Unfortunate, as this is one of the few places to have what could be a decent job in this small town.

Clients were fantastic... the job itself I loved...

Perhaps if there were a more male/female balance instead of it being 95% women, it could/would be better. The Union/Stewards also needs to be much stronger for the clerical staff, they allow too much to go on.
Cons
Horrible Abusive Atmosphere
rn at iha
rn (Former Employee) –  iha21 May 2015
Poor management. Refuses to bring in extra staff for workload.high nursing burnout.staff safety is compromised frequently.benefits are adequate and the pay is good.I find it hard to believe Ih a is one of the top employers in the valley.
Pros
good benefits and wages
Cons
long hours with no breaks or help from management.

Comment – November 27, 2015

We would like to thank-you for your feedback and are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience while employed with Interior Health. These reviews are very helpful in identifying areas where we are doing well, and places where we need to improve. Interior Health is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all employees through evidence-based injury prevention strategies such as provision of appropriate resources, equipment and processes, as well as education and supervision. We have an established procedure regarding Employee Incident Reporting, here is a link for that policy. https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/Policies/Documents/Employee%20Incident%20Reporting%20and%20Investigation.pdf Thanks everyone for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Interior Health we value your feedback.

descent place to work with benefits
Cook/ Housekeeping/Perioperative Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 November 2012
I work full time as a housekeeper as you need to build senority to bid into a fulltime cook positon. I occasionally get pulled from my housekeeping job to fill in for cooks on vacation etc. the managment is strict. the hardest part of my job is the politics that are involved with working in a union environment. the most enjoyable part of my job is working with the patients and the other staff who also enjoy their jobs.
Pros
the wage and benefits and working with the other staff and patients
Cons
managment politics