Interior Health Employee Reviews

Best employer I've ever had.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 February 2018
Great company to work for. I work in LTC at a facility. I am never expected to do more than is reasonable. Every day here is an easy day compared to an alternate job I have at a private care facility.
Get staff
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 February 2018
Great staff to work with, the clients are amazing. Sometimes you don’t get breaks when you’re understaffed. There is usually a shortage of staff. Lots of work when casual.
It's a good job
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 January 2018
It's a good job and its unionized so you get a lot of good benefits. Very team like and atmosphere. The staff are very helpful to one another and the pay is very good
Good employer but poor management
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Okanagan, BC6 December 2017
There is illusion of equal opportunity and advancement, however time and again you see/hear of ones being overlooked. Training is lacking in many roles and support not provided where required. Managers tend to hire based on personal preference (and pre-selection) versus on actual work experience.
Pros
Good work/life balance, wages reasonable
Cons
Poor management, no advancement opportunities
Bullying is rampant
LPN (Current Employee) –  interior of BC30 November 2017
bullying is rampant with staff and management. An atmosphere of reporting co-works has been cultivated under the guise of patient learning. Management singles out employees and follows their every move until they can bring them in for discipline, which would be beneficial if the worst workers were the the ones being singled out. However it is more of a bullying practice than a quality control measure.
Registered Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 October 2017
Working for Interior Health has been a great experience. From the first day of orientation to working at a few different facilities I would highly recommend working here. There are lots of opportunities and room for growth.
EXTREMELY bad lead hands and extremely bad management
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 October 2017
Extreme racist remarks from lead hands and permanent staff members on a daily basis, unhealthy situation at numerous work stations in almost every department of our hospital. Only preferred staff with a "cozy connections" with lead hands and supervisors get overtime work and extra privileges. Housekeeping people prohibited in nursing lounge which is very racist. Ministry of Health and Human Rights Council must investigate.
Pros
They like to talk about bullying but NOTHING ever gets done about it
Cons
Unfair and unreasonable treatment of ethnic minorities and new students
Fast Paced
Cardiology Reception (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 October 2017
The work never ends in a hospital, there is always something going on which makes you day go by fast. The staff in cardiology are fun to work with. I enjoyed dealing and helping the patients.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Accounts receivable clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 September 2017
This would be the monthly luncheons we have and the charity work that the department does. This leads to a inflation in morale, which is often low in the department.
Cons
Lack of cohesiveness.
culturally specific position
Aboriginal Patient Navigator - Temporary (Former Employee) –  kelowna18 September 2017
The position was created specifically for Aboriginal persons in the health care setting.
Very busy working environment
Loved the position and the difference in which it provided to a vulnerable segment of the population
Pros
Great pay
Cons
busy
Job changes
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oliver, BC18 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at SOGH but felt I was ready for a change and decided to pursue esthetics. I like the hours that my job had as it made it easier for my children.
Bad lead hands and extremely bad bullying management
Nursing Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 September 2017
frequent satiric and racist remarks from lead hands and permanent staff members, unhealthy situation at numerous work stations in almost every department of our hospital. Housekeeping staff not allowed at nursing lounge which is very racist.
Pros
new facility
Cons
unfair treatment and limited oportunities for extra training or advancement
Great employer great teams
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Kimberley, BC14 September 2017
Interior Health is truly the best employer that I have come across so far. This is a place you will find truly supportive management, great teammates and great experiences. The salary in Home Support starts a little less than a facility, but is so worth it in experience and the opportunity to be creative and adventure beyond a hospital like setting. The idea alone of helping people stay in their homes as long as possible is a positive feeling for a worker and a client. This is not a job for the faint of heart. You need a little creativity, equipment and tools are not neatly set out for you and that is what I would say is the is one challenge to the job. Another downside, is getting past the casual position. It is a hard slug making a living with casual hours until a position becomes available. Because you typically work alone in the community on a daily basis, the company has put in safety check ins. This ensures, that you are accounted for during your day. This is a company who is concerned for your safety. I would strongly recommend this work to anyone who is creative, likes to drive, and has a strong desire to help others.
Pros
Meaningful Work, and fosters creativity
Cons
Casual work, getting to the regular hours.
Alight place to work
Laundry Worker 3/ cook 1 (Current Employee) –  Nelson, BC11 September 2017
Not bad people are good to work with close to home. Travel to work is nice and easy. Free time on breaks and their is lots to learn if you choose to seek out new beginings
Pros
Days off with pay
Cons
Working enviroment
Some departments are better than others
Middle management (Former Employee) –  Okanagan, BC13 August 2017
As a leader in middle management, attended many meetings as significant sructural changes left little time to spend with employees. Experienced three episodes of restructuring within 5 years.
Organizationally, branches of the system fighting for resources amongst themselves.
In my last position i was asked to make changes I felt were unethical and caused significant moral distress.
Best part, feeling like l made a difference.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Need to be more employee focused
It is a fun place we all get along as a Team
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC9 August 2017
Working in a care home is an amazing job.It is working with people that are caring and compassionet.I love my job my co-workers and my supervisor.It is a great place to work.The hardest part about my job is death.You begin to know these residents as family.Most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work everyday knowing I may make a difference in someones life.Typical work day consists of teamwork.I learn that life is to short you must see everyones life is different.
Pros
Staff Aprreciation Lunches
Cons
Heaving Garbages
Fun work environment
Emergency Department Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloo27 July 2017
Challenging work place with lots of opportunity to learn and advance. Relaxed atmosphere and lots of support to really learn your job. Best part of working there, awesome coworkers and dedicated people all around.
Productive and fun workplace
Home Care Palliative Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oliver, BC24 May 2017
Great place to work with very supportive staff and management. I felt very supported when I made the transition from Vancouver Coastal Health. I will continue to work here.
Busy
LPN (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 April 2017
Always working in the health field you will be run off your feet . Great co- workers and head nurses at the time I had worked there. Great experience.
Hard Job
Autopsy Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 April 2017
I found that this was a difficult job, but with lots of dedication and continued education, I found this job to be very inspiring and motivating. It is not a job for anyone, but I found that I was able to work a lot on my professionalism.
Pros
Fulfilling
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Interior Health. Our community is ready to answer.