Responsible to: Child Care Educator/Team Leader or Program Director
The Child Care Assistant reports to the Program Manager and is responsible for providing a safe, healthy, stimulating and nurturing environment to meet the cultural, physical, social, emotional, creative, and intellectual needs of individual children in a group setting. The Child Care Assistant interacts respectfully with children and families, participates in program planning, helps to set up and maintain the child care environment, and is fully involved in supporting children’s play activities and routines.
- Participates actively in planning activities that meet the cultural, physical, emotional, intellectual , social and emotional needs of the children in the program
- Interacts respectfully with children at all times, and uses positive guidance strategies in accordance with the guidance policy
- Creates a stimulating and inviting playroom environment that changes in response to children’s interests
- Ensures that children are supervised at all times and relevant documentation is completed
- Ensures that children learn and use effective hygiene practices
- Ensures that equipment and the facility are clean, well-maintained and safe at all times. This includes:
o Cleaning of tables before all meals and after all meals and art activities
o Sweeping after lunch and mopping floors when necessary
o Making sure the room is tidy, counters are clear and items are up off the floor so that the janitors can clean.
o Ensuring that chairs and shelving are cleaned on a regular basis
o Checking washrooms to ensure they are always clear; spot clean if necessary
o Making sure the water table has clean water
o Ensuring that toys are clean and are sterilized regularly.
- Models respectful, cooperative behavior in interactions with families and work colleagues
- Participates in staff meetings
- Other responsibilities as requested by the Program Team Leader or Program Director.
Skills and Attributes
- Knowledge and ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and communities (diversity of race, class, age gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ability, etc.)
- A warm, open manner, positive attitude and a high energy level
- Comfortable communicating and collaborating with families of diverse cultures and languages
- Able to work cooperatively as a member of a child care team
- Standard Child Care First Aid
- Minimum Child Development Assistant certification; Child Development Worker certification preferred
Expectations for All Centre Employees
- Be deeply committed to, and work to realize, the mission, vision and values of the Centre
- Possess cultural humility and a desire to build understanding among culturally diverse individuals and communities
- Establish harmonious working relationships with colleagues by fostering open, collaborative communication which conveys sensitivity to the complexities of the working environment.
- Works with colleagues to ensure that the Centre is in full compliance with all licensing, safety regulations and accreditation requirements
Wage: Competitive wage
Hours of Work: Part-time or casual shifts between the hours of 6:00 am to 6:00 pm,
Monday to Friday
Location: 9538 – 107 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, T5H 0T7
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and covering letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements; open until suitable candidates found.
Indeed - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard