InterContinental Hotels Group

InterContinental Hotels Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Employees That Do What They Want
Housekeeping Quality Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
It is hard to be a new supervisor and enforce rules that employees are already so used to doing things their own way. And I felt like there was no room for error when working there, even if you're new.
Pros
They provide meals everyday
Cons
They have no room for error
A pleasure to work for such a great company.
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 17, 2015
Nothing but positive things to say about working for IHG. A world class leader in the Hotel and Hospitality Industry and they treat they're employees with dignity , respect and great benefits.
Great company values that everyone can understand and live
Talent and Leadership Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto OntarioMarch 19, 2015
Exciting! You're never bored! Lots of flexibility in how a job is completed, Opportunities for advancement. Great co-workers - learned a lot about corporate life!
Pros
flexible management styles
Cons
nothing worth mentioning
great work environment
Senior Front Desk Agent (Acting) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 16, 2015
My management team is great, hotel benefits are beyond more than I needed.
There is a lot of opportunities to grow in this hotel and I believe will be the same for all IHG properties.
Great, unless you're a student
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2014
This was a great job at first. The management was super nice, HR was super nice, and everyone got along very well and helped out when needed.

However, hours are based on occupancy, so as a part time employee, one week I would have 40 hours, and the next I would have 5 hours, and this would happen consistently.

When I was hired I informed the management that I would be returning to school in 3 months, which they told me was not a problem. 3 days before my 3 month probation was to be up, I was let go because I no longer had full availability due to my school schedule.

Way to mislead me that I had job security. The students who you do see working there are all interns that are full time and unpaid. Very few are hired upon completion of their internships.

Be wary if you are a summer hire. It may only be for summer.

Also, as a p/t employee, I paid $1.50/hour to the union, however I received no union protection (as I was under 3 months) and I received no benefits. There is no opt-out option for paying union fees, it comes directly off your pay stub.
Pros
plesant work environment
Cons
no job security for students / unpredictable hours
highly professional yet homely touch to the working culture
Banquet & Restaurant Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2014
One of the best employer out there in the job market.
My routine day include job duties like assisting banquet management team by ensuring proper and systematic BEO sequencing through Delphi operating system on a daily basis, scheduling and payroll duties, invoicing and client accounts management through Micros system, requisition and inventory management duties, producing coffee sheets, function layout sheets, liquor consumption reports, inventory sheets, Evention data system reports and general administrative work. Other departmental duties include assisting banquet staff with preparation, supervision and execution of banquet functions and helping Azure fine-dining restaurant staff during peak periods.
Best time i ever spend working with any of the employer.
Productive, great benefits, good team work and a great sense of accomplishment.
Reservations Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2014
-Assist guests with reservations in a professional and friendly manner by listening to their needs and providing the best fit.
-Use your phone smile to put guests in ease and make them feel comfortable and welcome. Make sure guests realize that you value their time and loyalty to the hotel.
- Calm irate guests using problem solving skills by being assertive rather than aggressive.
- Be a team player to ensure smooth flow of daily tasks.
- Able to work in a fast paced environment.
Pros
great medical and dental benefits, unionized environment
Cons
late hours
Great culture and friendly environment
Sales Manager, Corporate Market (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 19, 2013
A lot of unexpected things can happen in a regular work day, which makes it fun and interesting. Great team work in every department makes things go smoother, co-workers are friendly and always happy to help. A lot of stress can accummulate due to the high pace demands. What I loved the most about my job was travelling and this was also what I found to be the hardest when it came time to balance life-work.
Pros
employee cafeteria
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Room Reservation Agent/PBX (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2013
International brand that respects its employees
Every day there is something new that I learn
I have learned company's standards, bookings, management, taking decisions,
My coworkers are very helpful with positive attitude
Difficult memorizing company's codes and policies is the hardest part
The most enjoyable part of the job is the awards and appreciations we got when up-selling, and doing great job and extra effort
Pros
awards and appreciation
Cons
training
good company to work with
Sales Department - Acting Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  KuwaitJuly 7, 2013
the good thing of the company is that they provides career opportunities in other locations and trainings
Great hotel to work for.
Guest Services Manager, HR, Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 14, 2013
I had a great time working for IHG. I got a lot to learn and met a lot of great and different people.
IHG is an Industry leader
Global Sales Canada (Former Employee) –  Toronto & VancouverJanuary 3, 2013
IHG has been an industry leader for over 10 years . With the global renovation of its Holiday inn brand there is an extemporary IHG product at every budget level
Pros
fabulous management
dealing with problem at work with professionalism.
Waiter (Current Employee) –  KuwaitSeptember 28, 2012
every day is busy with arab people that's always have to be attended promptly

being snappy in work with efficient results.

management is always a pressure at work, but you have to be used to it.

excellent and professional co workers.

busy days like weekends and frequent changes in company policies.

you deal with all walks of life and colleagues with different nationalities.
Pros
free accomodation with a 3x a day open cafeteria
productive
Conference Manager (Former Employee) –  PolandSeptember 4, 2012
It depends to the fuction.
Management was good.
friendly and cooperate.
in my side there is no hard job in Intercontinental.
Meet some big time people.
Pros
they provide food and uniform.
Cons
it depends.
Productive and fun workplace.
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 26, 2012
The hardest part of the job is to be on your feet for 7 hours. However the staff that you work with make it worthwhile. Everyone, including management team is always very positive and up-beat. You do get to eat the good food that the Hotel makes when you get the chance to have a break. The most enjoyable part of the job is to meet different people and to be able to serve them in the best way you can. When customers are satisfied then it reflects on the working staff. I have learned to properly set up tables in different functions, I have also learned to use my strength when carrying heavy plates and trays. My time management skills are enhanced since each function consisted of specific time periods of when to serve and to clean.
Pros
great management, decent pay.
Cons
not enough hours to work.