Insurance Corporation of British Columbia

Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Independent Contractor
Senior Business Intelligence System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 April 2017
Good place to explore and learn technology. Flexible and nice management, good team and Friendly Co workers. It was a great experience working with colleagues who were always there to lend a helping hand or offer friendly advise.
Work hard & efficient-freedom
ICBC- Estimator (Former Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC14 March 2017
Great place to work.Great benefits, Decent pay. Lots of time off.
lots of vacation time, Paid training. Awesome support.
Understanding management and respect coworkers,
Pros
Short hours
Amazing employee benefits
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
ICBC provides employees with really competitive pay, great vacation time even for brand new employees, and an amazing pension. Many people stay with the company for 20+ years.
ICBC is a great place to work and is full of wonderful people.
Pros
Lots of time off for employees, employees are treated well
It depends on where you work
Claims Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 March 2017
Currently the people who work in the Claims division are dangerously overworked. There are a lot of different jobs in the Corporation but unless you have a bachelors degree in anything, moving up is very difficult.
Currently undergoing major changes
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC1 March 2017
New computer systems and business processes are being implemented which means lots of instability but also the opportunity for career advancement or to move into other areas of the business
Great company atmosphere - managers were great
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2017
I worked for ICBC for 29 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The company has great opportunity for learning new jobs and the staff and managers were all great to deal with.
Pros
Great job environment
Good and bad place to work.
Material Damage (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC4 December 2016
Icbc has many great people and just as many jealous interfering people whom managers seem to buddy up with.
Workload is too much now.
Managers are intimidated by employees with more experience, common sense and work ethic than the managers themselves have.
The personal politics at ICBC is out of control.
Pros
Well accepted by the public.
Cons
Corrupt Management.
Employees come and go
Claims support assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 November 2016
Mgmt aiming to make their numbers and their bonus pressuring employees with overwhelming workloads. No appreciation for work done, no thank yous, and no coffee either. Staff come and go like a revolving door either by quitting or being let go.
awesome place to work
Claims Document Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 October 2016
ICBC is the best place to work. Staff is super friendly and cooperative. Lots of knowledge and timings are perfect Monday to Friday day time shifts only.
Lost in space
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 October 2016
They put me working on the phones, but the computer system which cost 400 million dollar does not work. I had a nervous breakdown and they gave me 7 weeks paid leave to recover.
Pros
Not much to do as the computers don't work
Cons
Management is corrupt
Icbc
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC10 September 2016
The IT department people are all from the union. Unless there is a production related issue, the life is very easy. Things are moving very slowly. Very relaxed otherwise.
Love my job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 April 2016
I absolutely love my current temporary position at ICBC Abbotsford. It is too bad that the union will not likely continue my position there and it is therefore necessary to look for other work. It's too bad that performance doesn't play a role in my employment as I have undoubtedly given my heart and my soul to my customer service position here. SO sad that this is coming to an end shortly. I have chatted with both my manager and supervisor to no avail giving me no chance but to look for more work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
not being able to have my questions answered, my manager not being able to resolve my problems, my supervisor saying that i should look for work as working here permanent is unlikely
A fun place to work
Total Loss Handler (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC15 March 2016
A fun place to work with a supportive management team, Great people and a friendly atmosphere. I would love to say more but I cant:)
Pros
Great group of folks to work with
Cons
Political influance... low pay
Good for a union gig
IT Service Desk Representative - Contract (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC27 January 2016
Everything is done more or less in silos, and it can be hard to really branch out and grow from time to time.
Also, even if you know how to fix something, if it's out of your purview then it is highly discouraged to actually action it. (regardless of any training or experience you have with that issue)
Overall, though, it's a good place to work.
The company is on a big downsize/streamlining kick, so the jobs aren't that stable or secure, and they use a lot of temporary hire workforce to cover tough releases and areas.
It's a good stepping stone, and if you can manage to break through some of the barriers, I could see it being a great place to have a career, but it's a transitional period for them.. once that settles down a bit, I think the rating could be higher.
Pros
Convenient location, very affordable cafeteria on premise, gym on premise, right next to the quay and several shops/restaurants
Cons
Lots of temp work, cafeteria closes at 2
A Great Company to Work for
Mainframe Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 January 2016
I enjoyed my years at ICBC, from 1981 to 2015. Great co-workers, management who encouraged you to progress in your field. Great social aspect, engaged in various company wide activities including kids parties, dinner/dances, and sporting events
Pros
Good opportunity for advancement
Cons
Management micro-managing
Productive and multi task environment . Good place to advance your career
IS ARCHITECT/ PROJECT LEAD (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC9 November 2015
Good place to explore and learn technology. Flexible and nice management .good team and Friendly Co workers. Office politics factor were there though. Depends on which project are you working and under which Manager . Overall was ok.
I enjoyed working for 8 years at ICBC.
Confidential Administrative Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 September 2015
I enjoyed working in the many different areas of the company; particularly regulatory and actuarial.

I reported to managers and co-workers who helped do the work and at the same time provided top-notch methods and ideas; resulting in overall success of the department and insurance business.

The work was challenging but by putting in long hours to meet stringent regulatory deadlines there was always a great sense of accomplishment when the projects were completed on time.

It was a great experience working with colleagues who were always there to lend a helping hand or offer friendly advise and never made you feel like you shouldn't ask questions; if you didn't always know the answers.
Pros
The people were fantastic and team oriented environment a plus!
Cons
Long days of putting in many hours of overtime.
Good place to improve your skills
Technical Specialist, IT Security (Current Employee) –  BC13 September 2015
Managed IPS, handled IT security incidents.
Handled escalated tickets and resolved them.
Performed basic malware analysis.
Led team project kick off meeting for higher management.
Worked on security projected, prepared solution documents.
Managed third party security vendors.
Helped to prepared monthly KPI for higher management.
A good place to work..
QA Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver1 May 2015
-- ICBC has a great set of people, and working with them is always helpful. A place where you can learn.

-- Every job has its pro's and con's. It would be hard in that situation, but later, it feels funny and a smile on my face.

-- Working with my boss, Martin was the most enjoyable part, I got enough beating if something goes wrong, but helped me enhance my skills.
See Below
Insurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver3 April 2015
I have been with ICBC for 13 years now. It's a great company to work for with great benefits and career opportunities. I am now seeking to apply skill set and experience to other ventures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Reviews by Location