Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Great company atmosphere - managers were great
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2017
I worked for ICBC for 29 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The company has great opportunity for learning new jobs and the staff and managers were all great to deal with.
Pros
Great job environment
Good and bad place to work.
Material Damage (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC4 December 2016
Icbc has many great people and just as many jealous interfering people whom managers seem to buddy up with.
Workload is too much now.
Managers are intimidated by employees with more experience, common sense and work ethic than the managers themselves have.
The personal politics at ICBC is out of control.
Pros
Well accepted by the public.
Cons
Corrupt Management.
Employees come and go
Claims support assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 November 2016
Mgmt aiming to make their numbers and their bonus pressuring employees with overwhelming workloads. No appreciation for work done, no thank yous, and no coffee either. Staff come and go like a revolving door either by quitting or being let go.
awesome place to work
Claims Document Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 October 2016
ICBC is the best place to work. Staff is super friendly and cooperative. Lots of knowledge and timings are perfect Monday to Friday day time shifts only.
Lost in space
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 October 2016
They put me working on the phones, but the computer system which cost 400 million dollar does not work. I had a nervous breakdown and they gave me 7 weeks paid leave to recover.
Pros
Not much to do as the computers don't work
Cons
Management is corrupt
Love my job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 April 2016
I absolutely love my current temporary position at ICBC Abbotsford. It is too bad that the union will not likely continue my position there and it is therefore necessary to look for other work. It's too bad that performance doesn't play a role in my employment as I have undoubtedly given my heart and my soul to my customer service position here. SO sad that this is coming to an end shortly. I have chatted with both my manager and supervisor to no avail giving me no chance but to look for more work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
not being able to have my questions answered, my manager not being able to resolve my problems, my supervisor saying that i should look for work as working here permanent is unlikely
A fun place to work
Total Loss Handler (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC15 March 2016
A fun place to work with a supportive management team, Great people and a friendly atmosphere. I would love to say more but I cant:)
Pros
Great group of folks to work with
Cons
Political influance... low pay
Good for a union gig
IT Service Desk Representative - Contract (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC27 January 2016
Everything is done more or less in silos, and it can be hard to really branch out and grow from time to time.
Also, even if you know how to fix something, if it's out of your purview then it is highly discouraged to actually action it. (regardless of any training or experience you have with that issue)
Overall, though, it's a good place to work.
The company is on a big downsize/streamlining kick, so the jobs aren't that stable or secure, and they use a lot of temporary hire workforce to cover tough releases and areas.
It's a good stepping stone, and if you can manage to break through some of the barriers, I could see it being a great place to have a career, but it's a transitional period for them.. once that settles down a bit, I think the rating could be higher.
Pros
Convenient location, very affordable cafeteria on premise, gym on premise, right next to the quay and several shops/restaurants
Cons
Lots of temp work, cafeteria closes at 2
A Great Company to Work for
Mainframe Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 January 2016
I enjoyed my years at ICBC, from 1981 to 2015. Great co-workers, management who encouraged you to progress in your field. Great social aspect, engaged in various company wide activities including kids parties, dinner/dances, and sporting events
Pros
Good opportunity for advancement
Cons
Management micro-managing
Productive and multi task environment . Good place to advance your career
IS ARCHITECT/ PROJECT LEAD (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC9 November 2015
Good place to explore and learn technology. Flexible and nice management .good team and Friendly Co workers. Office politics factor were there though. Depends on which project are you working and under which Manager . Overall was ok.
I enjoyed working for 8 years at ICBC.
Confidential Administrative Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 September 2015
I enjoyed working in the many different areas of the company; particularly regulatory and actuarial.

I reported to managers and co-workers who helped do the work and at the same time provided top-notch methods and ideas; resulting in overall success of the department and insurance business.

The work was challenging but by putting in long hours to meet stringent regulatory deadlines there was always a great sense of accomplishment when the projects were completed on time.

It was a great experience working with colleagues who were always there to lend a helping hand or offer friendly advise and never made you feel like you shouldn't ask questions; if you didn't always know the answers.
Pros
The people were fantastic and team oriented environment a plus!
Cons
Long days of putting in many hours of overtime.
Good place to improve your skills
Technical Specialist, IT Security (Current Employee) –  BC13 September 2015
Managed IPS, handled IT security incidents.
Handled escalated tickets and resolved them.
Performed basic malware analysis.
Led team project kick off meeting for higher management.
Worked on security projected, prepared solution documents.
Managed third party security vendors.
Helped to prepared monthly KPI for higher management.
A good place to work..
QA Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver1 May 2015
-- ICBC has a great set of people, and working with them is always helpful. A place where you can learn.

-- Every job has its pro's and con's. It would be hard in that situation, but later, it feels funny and a smile on my face.

-- Working with my boss, Martin was the most enjoyable part, I got enough beating if something goes wrong, but helped me enhance my skills.
See Below
Insurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver3 April 2015
I have been with ICBC for 13 years now. It's a great company to work for with great benefits and career opportunities. I am now seeking to apply skill set and experience to other ventures.
Good option for steady career
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 February 2015
If you are looking for a steady career which is not too fast but at the same time not overwhelming ICBC is a good option.

Due to the size of the organization the processes and procedures could be frustrating at times. Work life balance is great but the pay scale is below average with a big chunk of your pay check goes towards paying for benefits.
Pros
Learning, Work Life Balance
Cons
Pay, Career Advancement
worst place to work at
n/a (Former Employee) –  n/a17 February 2015
the managers are paid high salaries for contradicting the harassment policies set by BC work regulations.
worst corporate culture full of gossip, negative conclusions, racism, and favouritism.
The insurance should be privatized in BC, ICBC is ripping off everyone, to pay large amount to lazy employees; who gossip more and work less.
the flex hrs options makes this place more unproductive since noone seems to be working on thier friday on since half the staff is off.
this company will never succeed as the Tort files will never be closed due to lazy mngt/staff.
the corruption is at it's height at ICB now, and somone must take a serious action to help this corp from going bankrupt.
suggestions include:
fire all the high paying managers
eliminate the flex hrs to improve productivity
above all privatize BC insurance -the best option to ease off on public and the corp itself.
Pros
Cons
poor managers no people skills
Dynamic and challenging environment undergoing transformation
Senior Communications Specialist, North Vancouver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2015
As ICBC's communications lead for its Transformation Program, I've learned to work effectively on behalf of multiple internal stakeholders to deliver effective results. ICBC is making a series of interesting changes to its business using technological and new management tools. Internal communications has given me an opportunity to further home my planning and strategic communications skills as those changes are communicated to the company.
Good working environment
ETL Tech Lead (Current Employee) –  BC2 January 2015
Learned new integration application (Salesforce)
Timely delivered the tasks
Good management
Working with ICBC is great- it's a lerning experience.
Data specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC, Canada1 December 2014
I love working at ICBC. I have started there as IBM contractor on Jan/01/2014 and still now I am working there happily .A typical work day is busy, but the co-workers I have are great team players. We work together to solve issues and to finish projects. The manager is the best I ever had, she pushed me to do better and because of her I can say that I am a better person and that I have matured greatly. Sometimes meeting deadlines are rough, but with the co-workers I have and the ability to work overtime to get the job done, those deadlines are tackled and meet. The job is a great experience and I will remember the experience and the opportunity for life.
Militant. Manager heavy handed. Bonus driven. No employee consideration.
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Trail B.C.13 November 2014
Turned around over the last couple of years. I cannot wait to get out of here.
Pros
decent wage/ benefits
Cons
Militant .

Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Reviews by Location