Insurance Corporation of British Columbia

Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC10 July 2017
I really enjoyed working at ICBC. I was there for 19 years. I left when my son was born 8 years ago. It was a very positive environment, we worked as a team.
Bureaucratic but good work/life balance
Insurance Customer Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 June 2017
Good benefits. Decent holiday time and able to leave work at work.
Very bureaucratic and slow to change. Union environment. Seniority tends to trump talent.
Challenging
Senior Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  British Columbia14 June 2017
It is really challenging, need to think critically all the time. Management is bad - you feel like you can't breathe. Work elsewhere. Not a good place
Pros
deal with customers
Cons
challenging, stressful
Fun and productive workplace
Payment Clerk 5 (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 June 2017
I very much enjoyed my time with ICBC. I was a payment clerk and union rep. I liked the staff, management. The only reason I left was I moved back to Ont. to be close with family members who were getting ill and dying and felt best to spend time with them, otherwise I would never have left.
Pros
Great Staff/Work balance
Cons
Organization under considerable staff cuts and job uncertainty
Administrative Resource Assistant II (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 June 2017
Work was clerical and little to no opportunity for advancement. No job security, organization undergoing considerable job cuts. Much uncertainty among support staff
Pros
good people
Cons
no job security
So/So place to work
Injury Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC18 May 2017
Pay is very low in comparison to similar jobs available. It is hard to recruit talent when the pay is not there. Complaints are endless re being overworked, favouritism, lack of integrity by managers and their is an ongoing joke of 'where will the pendulum swing this year'. Decisions are made by upper management without considering the ramifications to the ones doing the job. Micro-managing is high and training is HORRIBLE. Staff do not get training before they commence actual work - they are 'thrown to the wolves' to fend for themselves - not to mention not laid out properly. Communication also lacks greatly in this organization. It is hard to believe for a Crown Corporation that they still have not gotten their act straight. Work culture is very important and it severely lacks here. Unfortunately many see colleagues fired/let go due to downsizing and "new pendulum swing" and many loyal and dedicated staff have been walked out like criminals - not even able to clean up their desks or say goodbye. So sad when there are so many good people that work there. They need to put competent and more knowledgeable managers in place to be inspirational leaders to guide and mentor staff. Now, from what was observed, it is the opposite.
Pros
Decent benefits and work life balance
Cons
Low pay, incompetent managers, inconsistent practices, terrible training
Great people, repetitive work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 May 2017
There are challenges to the job, but most of them entail customer service. The actual work is database driven and fairly easy to follow. During my time at ICBC there was a hiring freeze so I was hired as a temp.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Very strictly structured
Independent Contractor
Senior Business Intelligence System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 April 2017
Good place to explore and learn technology. Flexible and nice management, good team and Friendly Co workers. It was a great experience working with colleagues who were always there to lend a helping hand or offer friendly advise.
Educational experience with excellent benefits and training
Injury Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Abbotsfofrd21 April 2017
When I worked at ICBC I was treated great, was provided excellent training and benefits, and left on good terms to pursue other options.
My superiors were friendly and helpful, and the other staff were like family.
Pros
great pay
Cons
negative environment when dealing with upset customers
Work hard & efficient-freedom
ICBC- Estimator (Former Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC14 March 2017
Great place to work.Great benefits, Decent pay. Lots of time off.
lots of vacation time, Paid training. Awesome support.
Understanding management and respect coworkers,
Pros
Short hours
Cons

Want to know more about Insurance Corporation of British Columbia?

Ask a question
Amazing employee benefits
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
ICBC provides employees with really competitive pay, great vacation time even for brand new employees, and an amazing pension. Many people stay with the company for 20+ years.
ICBC is a great place to work and is full of wonderful people.
Pros
Lots of time off for employees, employees are treated well
It depends on where you work
Claims Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 March 2017
Currently the people who work in the Claims division are dangerously overworked. There are a lot of different jobs in the Corporation but unless you have a bachelors degree in anything, moving up is very difficult.
Currently undergoing major changes
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC1 March 2017
New computer systems and business processes are being implemented which means lots of instability but also the opportunity for career advancement or to move into other areas of the business
Great company atmosphere - managers were great
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2017
I worked for ICBC for 29 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The company has great opportunity for learning new jobs and the staff and managers were all great to deal with.
Pros
Great job environment
Good and bad place to work.
Material Damage (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC4 December 2016
Icbc has many great people and just as many jealous interfering people whom managers seem to buddy up with.
Workload is too much now.
Managers are intimidated by employees with more experience, common sense and work ethic than the managers themselves have.
The personal politics at ICBC is out of control.
Pros
Well accepted by the public.
Cons
Corrupt Management.
Employees come and go
Claims support assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 November 2016
Mgmt aiming to make their numbers and their bonus pressuring employees with overwhelming workloads. No appreciation for work done, no thank yous, and no coffee either. Staff come and go like a revolving door either by quitting or being let go.
awesome place to work
Claims Document Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 October 2016
ICBC is the best place to work. Staff is super friendly and cooperative. Lots of knowledge and timings are perfect Monday to Friday day time shifts only.
Lost in space
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 October 2016
They put me working on the phones, but the computer system which cost 400 million dollar does not work. I had a nervous breakdown and they gave me 7 weeks paid leave to recover.
Pros
Not much to do as the computers don't work
Cons
Management is corrupt
Icbc
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC10 September 2016
The IT department people are all from the union. Unless there is a production related issue, the life is very easy. Things are moving very slowly. Very relaxed otherwise.
Love my job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 April 2016
I absolutely love my current temporary position at ICBC Abbotsford. It is too bad that the union will not likely continue my position there and it is therefore necessary to look for other work. It's too bad that performance doesn't play a role in my employment as I have undoubtedly given my heart and my soul to my customer service position here. SO sad that this is coming to an end shortly. I have chatted with both my manager and supervisor to no avail giving me no chance but to look for more work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
not being able to have my questions answered, my manager not being able to resolve my problems, my supervisor saying that i should look for work as working here permanent is unlikely

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval