Insurance Corporation of British Columbia

Insurance Corporation of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent career opportunities
Part time Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2017
Long term employee 25+ years .
Great employer!
Many opportunities to try different positions and areas, and work locations .
Excellent training and salary .
Work-life balance
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 October 2017
Great work-life balance and challenging work environment. At the head office, there is an in-house cafeteria and gym. Ample amount of parking for those who commute to work.
Challenging time and people are managing it.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 October 2017
Nice people but tough reality. Regulation change takes time. Politics and technical challenges. Budget cutting. Challenging time but people are trying best to manage it.
Pros
Pay and benefit
Cons
Challenges and relationships
Not a very good job at all - redundant, boring work while being overworked and underpayed
CSA (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC6 September 2017
The work is extremely repetitive. You're basically doing the same thing for 10 hrs a day/4 days a week. Sometimes you're scheduled on the same task for weeks or even months, so it gets really boring and mind numbing. They train you for a couple weeks in the beginning on the main tasks, but then after that if you need to be trained on something, there is very little training. You get maybe a couple hours of training if you're lucky, then you're thrown to the wolves. The schedule is very unfair, and they don't rotate the employees through the tasks. One person is on one desk for weeks or months at a time. There is very little support from coworkers and Management. You go to Management about suggestions or ideas, only to be shut down or turned away. People are very hesitant to help you when you ask for it, which is the main way to get help since there's very little training. You do so much work for such little pay. The only things good about this job are the benefits/paid sick days, and the 4 on/4 off schedule can be nice. Having 4 days off is the nice part. Otherwise, a horrible place to work.
Pros
Good benefits, paid sick time, 4 days off
Cons
Long hours, boring and redundant work, unfair scheduling, unsupportive coworkers, very little training
Productive and Fun place to work
Driver Examiner (Current Employee) –  British Columbia7 August 2017
Good Place to work, very nice people, learnt a lot of good things, management is very supportive and informative. Advancement opportunities exist for hard working people.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Dealing with tough clients
Great place to work.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC10 July 2017
I really enjoyed working at ICBC. I was there for 19 years. I left when my son was born 8 years ago. It was a very positive environment, we worked as a team.
it was a good place to work
estimator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC4 July 2017
we had a good working team. lots of training and courses for those who wanted it. we would write estimates, deal with the bodyshops on estimates we had written. we would deal with finding fair prices for vehicles we had written off. we would help the adjusters place fault on the party in the wrong when asked.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
everyone has had a bad experience with icbc
Bureaucratic but good work/life balance
Insurance Customer Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 June 2017
Good benefits. Decent holiday time and able to leave work at work.
Very bureaucratic and slow to change. Union environment. Seniority tends to trump talent.
Challenging
Senior Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  British Columbia14 June 2017
It is really challenging, need to think critically all the time. Management is bad - you feel like you can't breathe. Work elsewhere. Not a good place
Pros
deal with customers
Cons
challenging, stressful
Fun and productive workplace
Payment Clerk 5 (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 June 2017
I very much enjoyed my time with ICBC. I was a payment clerk and union rep. I liked the staff, management. The only reason I left was I moved back to Ont. to be close with family members who were getting ill and dying and felt best to spend time with them, otherwise I would never have left.
Pros
Great Staff/Work balance
Cons
Organization under considerable staff cuts and job uncertainty
Administrative Resource Assistant II (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 June 2017
Work was clerical and little to no opportunity for advancement. No job security, organization undergoing considerable job cuts. Much uncertainty among support staff
Pros
good people
Cons
no job security
So/So place to work
Injury Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC18 May 2017
Pay is very low in comparison to similar jobs available. It is hard to recruit talent when the pay is not there. Complaints are endless re being overworked, favouritism, lack of integrity by managers and their is an ongoing joke of 'where will the pendulum swing this year'. Decisions are made by upper management without considering the ramifications to the ones doing the job. Micro-managing is high and training is HORRIBLE. Staff do not get training before they commence actual work - they are 'thrown to the wolves' to fend for themselves - not to mention not laid out properly. Communication also lacks greatly in this organization. It is hard to believe for a Crown Corporation that they still have not gotten their act straight. Work culture is very important and it severely lacks here. Unfortunately many see colleagues fired/let go due to downsizing and "new pendulum swing" and many loyal and dedicated staff have been walked out like criminals - not even able to clean up their desks or say goodbye. So sad when there are so many good people that work there. They need to put competent and more knowledgeable managers in place to be inspirational leaders to guide and mentor staff. Now, from what was observed, it is the opposite.
Pros
Decent benefits and work life balance
Cons
Low pay, incompetent managers, inconsistent practices, terrible training
Great people, repetitive work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 May 2017
There are challenges to the job, but most of them entail customer service. The actual work is database driven and fairly easy to follow. During my time at ICBC there was a hiring freeze so I was hired as a temp.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Very strictly structured
Independent Contractor
Senior Business Intelligence System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 April 2017
Good place to explore and learn technology. Flexible and nice management, good team and Friendly Co workers. It was a great experience working with colleagues who were always there to lend a helping hand or offer friendly advise.
Educational experience with excellent benefits and training
Injury Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Abbotsfofrd21 April 2017
When I worked at ICBC I was treated great, was provided excellent training and benefits, and left on good terms to pursue other options.
My superiors were friendly and helpful, and the other staff were like family.
Pros
great pay
Cons
negative environment when dealing with upset customers
Work hard & efficient-freedom
ICBC- Estimator (Former Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC14 March 2017
Great place to work.Great benefits, Decent pay. Lots of time off.
lots of vacation time, Paid training. Awesome support.
Understanding management and respect coworkers,
Pros
Short hours
Amazing employee benefits
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 March 2017
ICBC provides employees with really competitive pay, great vacation time even for brand new employees, and an amazing pension. Many people stay with the company for 20+ years.
ICBC is a great place to work and is full of wonderful people.
Pros
Lots of time off for employees, employees are treated well
It depends on where you work
Claims Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 March 2017
Currently the people who work in the Claims division are dangerously overworked. There are a lot of different jobs in the Corporation but unless you have a bachelors degree in anything, moving up is very difficult.
Currently undergoing major changes
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC1 March 2017
New computer systems and business processes are being implemented which means lots of instability but also the opportunity for career advancement or to move into other areas of the business
Great company atmosphere - managers were great
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC4 January 2017
I worked for ICBC for 29 years and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The company has great opportunity for learning new jobs and the staff and managers were all great to deal with.
Pros
Great job environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.