Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Appearance is everything.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2016
A Canadian book store that tries too hard to impress you.
Pretends to care with Love of Reading Foundation only because it needs to secure future customers. Boasts about how Canadian it is yet gift products and toys are not truly Canadian. Has questionable content in books on shelves. Gives employees insufficient hours to avoid paying health benefits. No room for growth if management does not like you. No accountability from management between employee and management. Blame rolls down hill. No confident foresight in planing from operations due to high stress and traffic during busy times.
Pros
Books, good discount.
Cons
Min wage. No genuine transparency.
Culturally enriching
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2016
It is a great place to work. You meet and get to interact with a variety of different customers and learn something with every conversation, which makes it a culturally enriching environment. The staff is super nice, everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with, even management, who are so down to earth and approachable. The downfall is the pay is minimum, which is tough.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Pay
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 September 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Overworked, unrealistic expections, low wages
task, CER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
The co-workers are the best part of this job because you are all there because you are avid readers and want to share your love of books with others.

The store I was at went through over 20 managers in the four years I was there! Department heads were done away with and tasking meant you did it all! Not enough staff, short shifts and high unrealistic expectations result in low staff morale. Sales staff were treated better than the taskers who do the brunt of the work.
Pros
staff discounts, great benefits package
Cons
low pay, lack of recognition, lack of support and training
Fun part time but not long time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2016
Working for Indigo isn't hard. It's fun, and the customers are usually pretty great. What isn't fun is the lack of hours, forward mobility, and benefits. Had to leave because I wasn't able to live on >20 hours a week.
Pros
fun environment, discount on merchandise, small incentives
Cons
Minimum wage, not many hours, unwilling to give more hours
Productive, Fun, Exciting
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 July 2016
A typical day at work involved recommending books that work best with the customer at hand. It is exciting and fun to always connect with others over books that you both enjoy, or to help them find a book they may enjoy. I learned how to connect with others on an interpersonal level. My co-workers are great people, we work together in an effective manner. I enjoy being part of this team.
Amazing work atmosphere for a retail place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 June 2016
Chapters has a great customer base and even better employees who work well together and are super friendly at most locations. Chapters provided great customer service training online courses, group role play and a few days of shadow shifts. They really want you to feel comfortable working there. It was nice to work for the company.
Pros
Discounts on products
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 May 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Periodic team building incentives
CER/Tasker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 May 2016
I think that in the customer service realm especially, a happy worker will be far more successful than a discouraged one. This I feel is a relatively easy goal to attain, as easy as bringing in coffee or lunch. When you have a healthy team environment, the results reflect tenfold in customer experience.

Amazing team environment= excellent job.
Work place and enviroment
Costumer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON7 October 2016
Great place to work, great people and a huge sense of team with all employees. It's a place where customers become friends and specifically require and ask for your assistance.
What's more fun then books!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 May 2016
I typically worked days at the job. I love reading books, so this was an amazing job for me. I learned how to up-sell and how to explain an entire novel in 30secs. I enjoyed talking about books with customers and hearing their personal recommendations. The hardest part was at Christmas when you're balancing six customers at once, but it's all about being organized.
Pros
Working with Books
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 April 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Cheerful and Safe Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC15 August 2016
Indigio is filled with the majority of your clients who are understanding and polite. The management isn't overbearing and are completely understanding.

Great place to work at.
Excellent work environment and team culture.
SGM (Sales/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON18 August 2016
Excellent work environment and team culture.
Great management. Products are up to date and always interesting.
Great customer focused business, a pleasure to work there.
Great Place to work if you love books
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC5 September 2016
Very customer oriented which all retail jobs should be but makes it very hard for tasking and getting work done. Book lovers dream.
Pros
good benefits
Enjoyable to be around books.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 November 2016
I enjoy books, so enjoyed being around them. I was excited to provide Guests with excellent customer service and help them find what they were looking for.
An amazing retail environment and community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 June 2016
Working for Indigo Books & Music has been the best retail experience I have had. Being given so many skills with sales, customer service, and management helped me further myself as an employee and a person
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 March 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours
Enjoyable Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, AB20 June 2016
I am an avid reader so working in an environment where I can sell books to customers and recommend some of my favorites is rewarding an fun.
Pros
Discounts. Recommending books, Great Products
Cons
Not enough hours, Not reliable work