Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Good people.
HO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
In my particular role, there are demanding hours and high stress that demand quick decisions. With high stakes, there's high rewards...There's so many people and talent, it can be a fun workplace.
Pros
Variety of people and talent
Cons
Inconsistant leadership
Bring your best self.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2017
Indigo is an organization that is constantly evolving into being a company about the people that work within the organization. They promote bringing your best self to work and strive to create an environment that meets that expectation. The openness of communication between head office, business partners and the stores ensure that peoples voices are being heard and if a problem arises then solutions are worked on.
Pros
Employee perks, access to great products
Cons
Dresscode
Good work environment!
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Indigo very much. Most of my coworkers and managers were very nice and supportive. I was hired on as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, I would have liked to stay but the permanent position was not guaranteed.
Fun and interactive
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC11 January 2017
Very exciting workplace especially if you're into reading or the arts. Lots of new product and very nice customers. Always something new to learn with changing policies.
Pros
Free birthday book
Cons
Not enough hours
great first job in canada
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2017
good job pity it was only seasonal and part time pretty easily crazy customers sometimes and good management, break only 15 mins unfortunately, good atmosphere and great for someone just starting work
Pros
benifits/ discounts great team
Cons
part time and seasonal
Lovely environment, no room for advancement.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 December 2016
The atmosphere was great, the perks that were offered were also equally lovely. However, none of this makes up for the minimum wage salary and how even when the wage goes up, your wage stays the same. For example if you have been there 5 years you will maybe only make 25 cents over minimum wage. Also, no room for advancement at the location I was at.
good and interesting job
General Helper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Time management skills
management is very well
co-workers are helpful in nature
picking is hardest job because sometimes items are not available

Sorting and packing
Pros
free lunch and gift cards
Appearance is everything.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2016
A Canadian book store that tries too hard to impress you.
Pretends to care with Love of Reading Foundation only because it needs to secure future customers. Boasts about how Canadian it is yet gift products and toys are not truly Canadian. Has questionable content in books on shelves. Gives employees insufficient hours to avoid paying health benefits. No room for growth if management does not like you. No accountability from management between employee and management. Blame rolls down hill. No confident foresight in planing from operations due to high stress and traffic during busy times.
Pros
Books, good discount.
Cons
Min wage. No genuine transparency.
Enjoyable to be around books.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 November 2016
I enjoy books, so enjoyed being around them. I was excited to provide Guests with excellent customer service and help them find what they were looking for.
engoyable and great workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2016
stocking and displaying merchandise. co workers are great coaches.
management is good and hard working, leading by example.
Work place and enviroment
Costumer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON7 October 2016
Great place to work, great people and a huge sense of team with all employees. It's a place where customers become friends and specifically require and ask for your assistance.
Culturally enriching
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2016
It is a great place to work. You meet and get to interact with a variety of different customers and learn something with every conversation, which makes it a culturally enriching environment. The staff is super nice, everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with, even management, who are so down to earth and approachable. The downfall is the pay is minimum, which is tough.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Pay
Fun part time but not long time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2016
Working for Indigo isn't hard. It's fun, and the customers are usually pretty great. What isn't fun is the lack of hours, forward mobility, and benefits. Had to leave because I wasn't able to live on >20 hours a week.
Pros
fun environment, discount on merchandise, small incentives
Cons
Minimum wage, not many hours, unwilling to give more hours
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 September 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Great Place to work if you love books
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC5 September 2016
Very customer oriented which all retail jobs should be but makes it very hard for tasking and getting work done. Book lovers dream.
Pros
good benefits
Great dynamics with co-workers
Tasker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 September 2016
Typically I get up at 4:30 am to start my shift at 5am. This part kills me I am not naturally a morning person and I work another job so this part is difficult. Once I get inside and clock in I ask for the rundown of what is happening for that morning. If we are blitzing, we try to drop books from the previous day and then set up our door-to-floor station. We then start unpacking skids. We are organized so that about 3 people unpack trade boxes and there is usually 1 or 2 people on gift and one on toys. the first 2 hours is this and we constantly drop product when carts get full. Around 7:30 am we break for 15, and then start shelving product. Sometimes if we finish quickly we start on another task and generally make sure the store looks nice and neat. Once that is done the store will open around 9:30 am and for the part-timers usually leave around this time unless we are asked to stay later. Most of the full-time employees stay until 1 p.m. The store that I work at in particular is small so we have a small crew. So you really get to know each other and find out who you really click with. It is not customer service based when you are a part-timer, which is nice. They were also extremely accommodating with my school schedule and my other job which was a huge contrast from Fortinos, where they weren't as accommodating. Whenever, we meet our quota for each quarter we get a $25 gift cards and also get free breakfasts.
Pros
Great small crew, free breakfasts
Cons
early hours, inconsistent hours
Overworked, unrealistic expections, low wages
task, CER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
The co-workers are the best part of this job because you are all there because you are avid readers and want to share your love of books with others.

The store I was at went through over 20 managers in the four years I was there! Department heads were done away with and tasking meant you did it all! Not enough staff, short shifts and high unrealistic expectations result in low staff morale. Sales staff were treated better than the taskers who do the brunt of the work.
Pros
staff discounts, great benefits package
Cons
low pay, lack of recognition, lack of support and training
Excellent work environment and team culture.
SGM (Sales/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON18 August 2016
Excellent work environment and team culture.
Great management. Products are up to date and always interesting.
Great customer focused business, a pleasure to work there.
Cheerful and Safe Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC15 August 2016
Indigio is filled with the majority of your clients who are understanding and polite. The management isn't overbearing and are completely understanding.

Great place to work at.
Productive, Fun, Exciting
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 July 2016
A typical day at work involved recommending books that work best with the customer at hand. It is exciting and fun to always connect with others over books that you both enjoy, or to help them find a book they may enjoy. I learned how to connect with others on an interpersonal level. My co-workers are great people, we work together in an effective manner. I enjoy being part of this team.