Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews in Canada

Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HOMarch 27, 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Positive and relaxed environment
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
I worked at Indigo during my first pregnancy as a seasonal associate so I was only there for a couple months. In that time I spent most of my shifts either on cash or in the children's books section. I'm usually not very good with children, so this forced me to interact with them more often than usual and taught me different communication skills than what I would normally use with adults. Cashier responsibilities included advertising the current promotion and signing up new rewards members along with the standard duties of ringing through purchases.

The most challenging part of the job was finding books customers were searching for since some books fit into multiple categories and were not always re-shelved in the correct location.

I enjoyed working at Indigo because it was a friendly and relaxed environment and the managers and other staff were energetic and fun to be around. I am also a big reader so I enjoyed the staff discounts on books and other children's items for my new baby.
Pros
close to home, flexible hours, discounts on books
Cons
long hours standing
Great people in nice environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
I love book stores so hanging around a book store talking with and helping people is always fun. I am on my feet all day, but that's not bad; it means I am getting my exercises. The staff is super nice and approachable. Unfortunately it is a retail job so the salary is minimal. I was also hired a seasonal employ and the shifts have not been plentiful.
Customer Service and Team-Oriented work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 9, 2016
A typical day involved many aspects of multitasking including helping customers, shipping and receiving, answering telephones, cash management, and merchandizing/organizing.
Excellent customer service is a must so management presented several helps on what was expected.
Was nice working in a smaller store as the environment with co-workers was like that of a family.
I think the most challenging part of the job was dealing with difficult customer situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was providing good customer service and working in an environment that I had a passion for.
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 26, 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours
hard work, not being appreciated for effort
ACEM (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 27, 2016
work-large task list-makes day go fast
learned -to work well with large groups, the more you take on the more work given[unbalanced]
management-hard to trust some upper management, can not rely on HR
co-workers- where all great
hardest part of job-realising how under paid and unappreciated we are.
most enjoyable- regular customers , co-workers, variety of items

It is too bad the CEO does not really know what is happening in her company anymore. She use to do road shows to talk to store level staff , but she did not realize we where told what we could and could not ask her[immediate boss in room at time of questions] It was a great place to work before all the talent starting leaving at the store level and Head office.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
being bullied at work by some Headoffice/RD
Great Co-Workers, Very Kind Management... not enough work
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 4, 2015
Chapters is a great and very relaxed place to work at. Management is easy to get a long with, and everyone who works there are fantastic people. There was never any gossip as long as I worked there, so there was never any of the awkward tension that results from workplace immaturity of that sort. If you love books (like I do), it's a fantastic work culture to be working in.

However... shifts are few and far between, the bi-annual raise they say they are going to give each hired employee never materializes, and the benefits they claim to provide after a few months of working with them also never seem to appear, even when management is approached on the matter.
Pros
Great atmosphere, lots of books, great colleagues, friendly management
Cons
very few hours (by and large), declared raises never manage to materialize, nor do declared benefits.
Productive, Fun, Exciting
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work involved recommending books that work best with the customer at hand. It is exciting and fun to always connect with others over books that you both enjoy, or to help them find a book they may enjoy. I learned how to connect with others on an interpersonal level. My co-workers are great people, we work together in an effective manner. I enjoy being part of this team.
Love to work in such a nice and clean work environment.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 11, 2015
I felt proud to have worked with Indigo with caring management and nice co workers having fun at different events and doing job in interesting and challenging way. This company is giving good benefits and rewards for good work done. I have learned to do receiving with scanner and lots more at this job. My enjoyable part at this job was to work as trainer for new employees and favourite thing is to work with calculations whole day. I always miss Indigo.
Amazing work atmosphere for a retail place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 15, 2016
Chapters has a great customer base and even better employees who work well together and are super friendly at most locations. Chapters provided great customer service training online courses, group role play and a few days of shadow shifts. They really want you to feel comfortable working there. It was nice to work for the company.
Pros
Discounts on products
Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Cons
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Aggressive Target Oriented
Senior SAP/ABAP Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Very dynamic environment. Aggressive goals and target oriented management. Very competitive work place. High turnover at all levels.
I am a highly motivated Logistics Manager with a high energy level
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 31, 2015
Being a confident team player with good time management and organizational skills, I can ensure attention to detail while handling a high volume of work. I rely upon my strong interpersonal abilities to positively interact with others and realize the need for good communication on the job at all levels. With good analytical and judgement abilities, I value a practical approach to problem solving and troubleshooting. I possess an excellent attendance and work record, am in sound physical condition and my hours are flexible. I understand the importance of a safety conscious work ethic and perform well in a demanding environment. I am always interested in extending my skill base.
Pros
excellent culture and organizational stability
Cons
Need change
The amazing work environment makes up for waking up before the sun.
Tasking (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 28, 2016
The job consists of early mornings (5 am start time) and a lot of receiving, shelving, and organization, with customer service duties towards the end of each shift. Through this job, I have learned that if I set my mind to something, I can do pretty much anything, even become a morning person.

My managers are helpful and understanding of the work my team puts into the store and it's presentation. The tasking team is a wonderfully close knit little work family, but those who do floor and cashier duties never make us feel ostracized.

The hardest thing about the job overall would have to be the early morning. The hardest part of my shift is when we run out of time. We have so much new product coming in that it's sometimes hard to maintain what we already have.

My favourite part of the job is the sense of accomplishment I get when I organize or clean a display. To see a table or shelf go from a picked over mess to picture perfect is ridiculously satisfying.
What's more fun then books!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 4, 2016
I typically worked days at the job. I love reading books, so this was an amazing job for me. I learned how to up-sell and how to explain an entire novel in 30secs. I enjoyed talking about books with customers and hearing their personal recommendations. The hardest part was at Christmas when you're balancing six customers at once, but it's all about being organized.
Pros
Working with Books
Periodic team building incentives
CER/Tasker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I think that in the customer service realm especially, a happy worker will be far more successful than a discouraged one. This I feel is a relatively easy goal to attain, as easy as bringing in coffee or lunch. When you have a healthy team environment, the results reflect tenfold in customer experience.

Amazing team environment= excellent job.
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
Kind, Fun, and overall great place to work.
Task Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
As a Task Associate you work more behind the scenes making sure everything in the store is ready for customers. A typical day would include stocking books, doing product count, unpacking new product/stock and sometimes merchandising product. All my co-workers were wonderful people so doing these jobs were very fun. There's always something to do so you keep very busy during the day. The hardest part of the job would be having to lift heavy items. If that is something you are not good at then some days could be tough. Also the mornings started at 5am so that can be difficult as well.Overall it was a wonderful experience and was one of the best jobs I've ever had.
Pros
Great Management, Easy Tasks, Fun Work Environment
Cons
Early Morning Starts, Heavy Lifting Involved
working everyday with close friends, great work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to work and a enjoyable corporate atmosphere. The company truly wants to listen to any suggestions and support there staff. Very flexible hours and a friendly management staff.
Pros
great people, steady paced
Cons
repetitive, minimum wage, very competitive, cliquey

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location