Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A day in the life . . .
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 28, 2014
Pros: a nice environment.
Cons: a four month christmas!
A typical day as an Indigo receiver is pretty fast paced and challenging. There is plenty of shipments to warehouse and unpack with not a lot of room to work with (at least at this particular store). Therefore, I have learned to prioritize and manage a warehouse with great skill, and have had the various management teams over the years concur with and – more... appreciate my abilities. My co-workers during my fourteen years and counting have been a diverse and motley sort that have enriched my life and taught me many interesting things. The hardest part of my job is handling the Christmas incoming (retail, usually begins September!) product. I always get it in and sorted but it is ticklish! The most enjoyable is getting through Christmas without injury! – less
Easy and fun position
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, OntarioJune 25, 2014
Pros: get to meet all different types of people including the customers and colleagues
Cons: low pay, only part time work available
- worked on cash
- did purchases and returns
- dealt with customer complaints
- good, hard-working management team
- co-workers were nice and welcoming
- the most difficult part of the job was when high season hit, this included long hours and not much down time
- the most enjoyable part was making great friends on the job
Creative Work Environment Offering Countless Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 9, 2014
Pros: book borrowing privileges, merchandise discounts, relatively good benefits package
Cons: poor wages, unreliable shift availability, scarce full time opportunities
I worked for Indigo Books & Music for nearly 8 years, and were it not for a number of store closures and lay offs I would have continued to work for them even longer. It was a bibliophile's dream job.

Staff and management were usually comprised of a lot of creative types, eager to learn and generally pretty voracious readers. There was room for countless – more... personality types throughout the store and they all found a niche where they could share what they knew and work among the subjects that they enjoyed.

As with any retail environment there are both pros and cons. The pros included the option to borrow books, discounts on products, access to all sorts of interesting books and other items, and the ability to talk about these things and share them with others on a daily basis. The cons included relatively poor wages and a constant scrambling for shifts as the option for full time work was relatively scarce. Working in customer service can always provide both extremely enjoyable and tremendously difficult experiences, and I don't think that Indigo is any different than any other retail environment in having a healthy combination of both.

In my eight years I worked in all areas of the store from cashier to shipping and receiving and I am grateful that Indigo's policy of ensuring all staff are extensively cross-trained has supplied me with skills I can take in to many different environments in the future. – less
High-stress for a low-paying job.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 15, 2012
I found Indigo to be a company only focused on making money - they put so much stress on the workers to sell, sell, sell. The only issue I had is that I would be stressed over a job where I got paid basically minimum wage and had no respect. It had nothing to do with the managers or my coworkers, but rather the corporate side of the business.
Fun job while I went to college
CSR - Receiving (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2012
Pros: fun
Cons: paid $9/hr
I met some of my best friends to this day working here. We had a good time but I think anything I write here is moot as it will depend - probably 100% - on who your store manager is.

Yeah they shipped us way too much stuff every Christmas and we had 10' high piles of boxes to unpack, but we had fun.