Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Indigo
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
great people and culture work balance. I enjoyed the face pace and accountability on budgets, timelines, and execution with project close out hand off to retail operations
Fun, busy, ever changing and never boring
cashier and Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 August 2017
You get to work with people who love to read and who make Indigo a one stop shop. The staff you work with are intelligent, personable, motivated and truly want to help you enjoy your shopping experience.
I would work there again in a heart beat.
Pros
First chance to read the newest releases.
Great place to work for book lovers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 July 2017
Management was amazing here, they listened to new ideas, problems etc. Were flexible if anything came up in regards to family etc. and were willing to give days off if needed. Monthly meetings were you could voice any issues or ideas with no problems.
Pros
lots of books, good managers
Cons
long hours, pay wasn't great at the time and no benefits for part time workers
Interactive Working Environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. Vital, Winnipeg, MB21 July 2017
My time at Chapters-Indigo was a time of learning experience in customer relations. I learned many skills in shipping and receiving,

I learned many valuable skills in shipping and receiving and how to operate a warehouse so that it functions to its most efficient capacity.
Na
Executive Assistant to CFO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2017
It was a good experience where I learned a lot and the culture was great. Challenging and rewarding work.

Opportunity for growth and development which is great.
Wonderful first Part time job
CASH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
I worked for Indigo when I was a high school student and then a University student and it provided great flexibility with my schedule. I worked at three different locations and I enjoyed the Yorkdale mall location the most. The management team was fantastic and the co workers were amazing. I look at my time there fondly.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, flexible hours, fun environment
Cons
High Sales goals
Very fun
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC30 June 2017
Great place to work! The staff are great, management fantastic and communicate with each other so nothing is lost, and the customers are generally happy.
a great place to work.
Customer Experience Leader (Current Employee) –  Severn, ON22 June 2017
I Love working with books, it has been great to be able to help customers get into a new series, as well being introduced into a new series myself. it has been a wonderful experience.
Dull job with a great environment and very friendly and fun crew
5 a.m. Tasking (Current Employee) –  North York, ON16 June 2017
This is a job for you to spend money rather than earning money...Work time is either in the morning from 5am to 9am or overnight from 10pm to 6am. The responsibility is to tidy up the store, open up boxes to take stuffs out, shelf books, toys and gifts onto the shelves. As mentioned in the summary, this is a very dull job that has no challenge at all. During the morning shift, we usually use the first 2 hours to open boxes and take things out and sort them onto different carts and the other 2 to shelf books. The overnight shift usually has something to do with big projects, such as inventory or changeover.
However, even the task itself is not challenging, it is still fun to work at this job. All the managers are very exciting and positive person, as well as most of the workers. The crew is mostly students or old ladies who are extremely friendly, so there's always a lot of fun things being talked about while working, and you have to noticed that as a member of the tasking crew, you are always the first one to know what is new and interesting arriving to the store and what is lately on sale. With your 30% employees' discount, I ensure you that if you like the store you will possibly spend a lot more money here than what you earned--happens to me all the time since I'm a real reader and I love pretty gifts. The better thing about the job, however, is that it is a part time job in the morning so you can always find a second job during day time.
Pros
Random treats and pizza from the manager; 30% off employees' discount
Cons
weird schedules...sometime only once a week, other times you might be scheduled 5 or 6 days per week...
Did not enjoy my experience while employed there
Administrative Coordinator, Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 June 2017
Did not enjoy working for management. Very stressful and secretive was not forth coming with information. Did not feel like compensation was adequate for the job
Pros
yearly book sales
Cons
Everything else

Want to know more about Indigo Books & Music?

Ask a question
Fun environment, little long-term benefit.
Tasker on Duty (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 June 2017
If you're drawn to working at a bookstore, likely you'll find yourself working with like-minded people who you get along with, which makes the work quite enjoyable.

However, the pay is mediocre (though likely comparable to most retail). Corporate policy does not allow management to provide references to leaving employees, so unless you want to work your way up the company, the long-term benefits of working there are debatable. You walk out with nothing to show for your time there.

Beyond that, the same pros and cons as general retail. People have exciting ideas about working at a bookstore, but the shine comes off the apple quickly, and it's the same as any other retail job.
I Enjoy Going to Work
Order Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 June 2017
I originally started on the morning shift as a temp but got hired onto the afternoon shift full time. I really enjoy going to work and am given different things to learn which is awesome to help keep variety. I don't dread the company meetings and everyone who works there is friendly. A lot of places, you never meet anyone from HR but I met several within my first few months, including the CEO. The work loads are varied as it depends on customer orders and I've heard that Christmas is insanely busy. I'm proud to be working for Indigo and can't wait to continue my journey with them.
Pros
Good pay, get out early, aren't just an employee number, open dialogue, fun and diverse enviroment, friendly staff
Very clique
Shipper/Receiver/ Inv. Lead (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 June 2017
Very fast- paced
The work culture was that of a playground in elementary school
Staff was immature, clique and remiss when it came to giving exceptional customer service
the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting authors at book signings and speaking the sales reps from publishing houses
Pros
Free ARC books
Cons
Long exhaustive hours
Pretty Sweet and Relaxing Place
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 May 2017
Great place, wonderful vibe, and the employees are really nice too. But this is more a job for a retiree or someone looking for part time work, I stand behind the products being sold.
Friendly people and organized chaos
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON26 May 2017
Very hectic, on the whole people there are nice. A typical day on the job involves replenishing book stacks, reorganizing, cleaning, and approaching others and asking if they need help finding anything. I learned how to speak to people, not to fear approaching others. The workplace culture is all about helping out, picking up the slack, and making friends. Very friendly people there. The hardest part of the job is being placed in a section you don't typically spend a lot of time in (for me, nonfiction). The most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about these sections, and being able to find something abstract and different because you'd had to find it before for someone else (for me, it was tarot cards).
Pros
Library policy with books
Cons
More disorganized than I thought it would be
Fun place to work with great people
Cashier on Duty (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
Great environment to work in with openminded coworkers. Everyday at work is exciting, you get to meet new people everyday who like the same things as you.
Pros
Great conversations with book people
Cons
Compete for hours.
Cer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
• Managed the administrative aspects of the business from HR, marketing, accounts payable and receivable, marketing, procurement, and office management.
• Studied the market to identify trends and their impact on consumer demand.
• Checked daily sales reports and cash receipts.
• Managed with success the number one video store in the neighborhood with more than 2,000 customers, being recognized as an example of quality in customer service.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
minimum age paiment
Very good work environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
I like to work with this company, because of its working style and good behavior of co-workers.
The job is near to my home and it's very easy to reach the workplace.
I work for weekends only but sometimes I used to go on weekdays too.
They pay for extra hours and provides gifts for more production.
Pros
good pay, free food sometimes
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON11 May 2017
I was only hired seasonally as a CER but I still enjoyed the few months I worked there.
Everyone was great to work with. Management were organized and very approachable.
Scheduling was alright, I could have done with more hours but there were a lot of us only working for the holidays. At least it was easy to pick up other shifts from people.
It got kinda hectic around Christmas and Boxing Day, but things ran about as smoothly as possible. I worked on cash and there was always someone more experienced there in case I had any questions.
Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely work there again
good place to work
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 May 2017
it was very good place to work . i have learned to use scanner there and order picking. management was good and very enjoyable place to work. all supervisors and coordinators.