Indigo Books & Music Employee Review

View all Indigo Books & Music reviews

Creative Work Environment Offering Countless Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2014
I worked for Indigo Books & Music for nearly 8 years, and were it not for a number of store closures and lay offs I would have continued to work for them even longer. It was a bibliophile's dream job.

Staff and management were usually comprised of a lot of creative types, eager to learn and generally pretty voracious readers. There was room for countless personality types throughout the store and they all found a niche where they could share what they knew and work among the subjects that they enjoyed.

As with any retail environment there are both pros and cons. The pros included the option to borrow books, discounts on products, access to all sorts of interesting books and other items, and the ability to talk about these things and share them with others on a daily basis. The cons included relatively poor wages and a constant scrambling for shifts as the option for full time work was relatively scarce. Working in customer service can always provide both extremely enjoyable and tremendously difficult experiences, and I don't think that Indigo is any different than any other retail environment in having a healthy combination of both.

In my eight years I worked in all areas of the store from cashier to shipping and receiving and I am grateful that Indigo's policy of ensuring all staff are extensively cross-trained has supplied me with skills I can take in to many different environments in the future.
book borrowing privileges, merchandise discounts, relatively good benefits package
poor wages, unreliable shift availability, scarce full time opportunities

Other Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Fun oppurtunity
Part Time Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 March 2018
- it was easy to know what is expected of you on an average day, co workers were kind and welcoming
- there were tasks that needed to be completed within time limits, which made it easy to plan our days out
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB14 March 2018
Very welcoming, great coworkers Easy going job. Great part time or full time. Very accepting , understanding management, Makes work enjoyable. Many great opportunities offered