Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Good placeto be
Operations Team Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2017
Great place to work, good enviroment, fun people and supprotive of the community. It's great, I love the programs both for employees and for customers.
Pros
Discount, book programs
Cons
Benifits are impossible to get
Great team atmosphere and culture
cer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
The perfect job for a cultured book lover. Must be team oriented to enjoy and succeed in postion. Great job if you don't mind a bit of physical work included .
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Lack of hours. Incensitive and bias management . Can't get ahead if management doesn't like you
A job that you can take home with you.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 April 2017
Working at Coles was not a hard job. It had moments where there was a lot of work to be done, but overall, Coles was an excellent company that fostered reading, literacy and community. I was in charge of keeping the store tidy, closing the store (counting tills, balancing the safe), and engaging with customers. My fellow employees were realistic about heir position in a minimum wage job, but appreciative of what Indigo does for its employees and the benefits of working for the company.
By far the best part about working for Indigo is the book borrow. It is a strenuous process, but by letting employees take home books, read them carefully, and then bring them back, it expanded my ability to talk to customers who were looking for the book that I had borrowed.
Pros
book borrow, community engagement
Cons
slow days
Fun workplace
Corporate Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 April 2017
Indigo Books is a great place to work, lots of fun activities planned monthly with lots of incentives for the employees
Staff is very helpful
on site cafeteria with great food.
Pros
Extra activites throughout the year
Relaxed fun place to work , amazing staff and customers
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Love the atmosphere, can always find staff when needed, they greet you ask if you need assistance , if you do not need them they leave you alone to browse and enjoy the store .
Pros
great book prices
Cons
na
Easy job, great people
Fulufilment (Former Employee) –  Brampton Warehouse28 March 2017
It was a great work environment. Plenty of different jobs to do with opportunities for advancement. Management was easy to work with and understanding to help with any problems.
Professional Business - Customer Experience Reperesentative
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 March 2017
* Great on training skills

*100% customer service attitude

*Awesome Team members to work with

*Great Benefits

*Great incentives

* Very flexible company
Pros
great incentives
Cons
LP was a great Department to work in
Cycle Count Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 March 2017
Loss Prevention was a great department to work for under the Finance umbrella. Driven, passionate, informed and successful were all characteristics that made the team better.
lot's of work but definitely lot's of fun
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time with the indigo family. Great prices on books good incentives and competitions. The only drawback though is the lack of full time hours which is usually only available for management.
Pros
great atmosphere with plenty to do
Cons
no full time hours available to most regular staff
fun workplace
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
management is easy to talk to, always fun at work, coworkers always able to talk and listen, the hardest part would be trying to assist a customer in a genre of books you aren't quite familiar with.
Positive Workplace, Good experience
Customer Experience Representative (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2017
I worked as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, so it was especially busy, more than the rest of the year. Typically, we are expected to promote any sales that are going on in the store, walking around the floor and asking customers if any help is needed. It is easy to locate books and other products, as a quick search in the computer should be able to tell you exactly where it is. Sometimes you might need to check the back room and grab a product for a customer. All the co-workers are friendly and bubbly, and the management is amazing and understanding. It is difficult to work in such a busy environment for so many hours, which was probably the hardest part of the job. By the end of the day I was emotionally exhausted and wanted nothing more than to lie in my bed and not talk to anyone, but someone more extroverted than me would probably not find an issue in the work environment.
Pros
Great discounts, friendly coworkers and management
Cons
High stimulus, standing for long hours, loud repetitive music
fun place to work it
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 March 2017
best place to work for. the management were very nice, always helping you if you need an thing.flexible schedule. great place to learn and read new literature everyday.
I loved working for indigo
Assistant customer experience manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
I enjoyed my position with this company. I started out as a head cashier and quickly became assistant customer experience manager. I became a single mother while I was working at indigo and was unable to stay due to the lower wages, but I loved working there and miss it often.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Low wages
Fun place to work with an upbeat staff.
Tasker and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 March 2017
Working at Indigo is probably the most fun I've had working at a job. The people there don't take themselves to seriously and are a lot of fun to work with. The management was always supportive of us. Only cons would be minimal hours and very early mornings but other than that it was great.
a Productive work place
Costumer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 March 2017
The typical workday involves checking incoming stock and re-stocking shelves to keep levels high, assisting customers with their searches for products.
Pros
Nice work enviroment and access to books
Cons
Non family friendly hours
Productive and Rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
The people are nice and helpful. The store's working standards are very good.I was trained as cashier so it was a very productive experience. The job was not really hard in any way as I would say it was rather rewarding.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Working with most of the employees was a blast. Everyone becomes as a part of a family and hangs out after work together. Unfortunately most of the employees were let go all at once.
Pros
You want to go to work
Cons
Mass layoff
Inviting work-place.
"Sales Rep. / Cashier" (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 February 2017
Indigo Books has been an incredible experience for me, which has given me several opportunities to learn and grow, especially when it comes to the world of retail. The environment was very inviting, my co-workers were fantastic and friendly to work with, and although certain aspects were tough to learn, I found myself able to get by obstacles through the help of the management team.
Pros
Frequent breaks, desirable hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
N/A
Pilot Project
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Working as a supervisor for a pilot project which had never been done before was interesting.

This project enabled me to set a standard that would carry on in future years.
Pros
Pilot Project
Cons
Overnight hours
Beautiful Environment but Strained Atmosphere
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 February 2017
Their mantra is to bring customers joy, which they do, but staff aren't treated incredibly well. Management is difficult and often catty, condescending, highly demanding, gossipy, and negligent toward CER questions and concerns.

Was never fully trained and given negative reviews on performance when I was never taught many aspects of the job but expected to know them anyway.

Kind of a sink-or-swim environment.
Pros
beautiful environment, CER staff are generally nice
Cons
negligent management, full availability expected but no hours guaranteed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music. Our community is ready to answer.

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location