Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Appearance is everything.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2016
A Canadian book store that tries too hard to impress you.
Pretends to care with Love of Reading Foundation only because it needs to secure future customers. Boasts about how Canadian it is yet gift products and toys are not truly Canadian. Has questionable content in books on shelves. Gives employees insufficient hours to avoid paying health benefits. No room for growth if management does not like you. No accountability from management between employee and management. Blame rolls down hill. No confident foresight in planing from operations due to high stress and traffic during busy times.
Pros
Books, good discount.
Cons
Min wage. No genuine transparency.
Extremely fun and welcoming work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
The managers at the Chinook branch in Calgary, AB were all very nice and fun to talk to; I was not worried at all to come to them about anything. I enjoyed coming to work as all the employees and managers understood if you were having a bad day or if you were late, they made the workplace and work duties fun as everyone had a great attitude towards work. It seemed as if the CEO really cared about all the lower-level employees.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, low amount of benefits
Lovely environment, no room for advancement.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 December 2016
The atmosphere was great, the perks that were offered were also equally lovely. However, none of this makes up for the minimum wage salary and how even when the wage goes up, your wage stays the same. For example if you have been there 5 years you will maybe only make 25 cents over minimum wage. Also, no room for advancement at the location I was at.
great first job in canada
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2017
good job pity it was only seasonal and part time pretty easily crazy customers sometimes and good management, break only 15 mins unfortunately, good atmosphere and great for someone just starting work
Pros
benifits/ discounts great team
Cons
part time and seasonal
Overworked, unrealistic expections, low wages
task, CER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
The co-workers are the best part of this job because you are all there because you are avid readers and want to share your love of books with others.

The store I was at went through over 20 managers in the four years I was there! Department heads were done away with and tasking meant you did it all! Not enough staff, short shifts and high unrealistic expectations result in low staff morale. Sales staff were treated better than the taskers who do the brunt of the work.
Pros
staff discounts, great benefits package
Cons
low pay, lack of recognition, lack of support and training
Really good job , plenty to learn
Coordinateur aux ventes corporatives (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 January 2017
Good and clean environment to work in . Learned a great deal in corporate sales especially with new softwares for office work such as excel . It was tough dealing with many orders at once but I managed to get the hang of it .
Pros
Work flexibility
Cons
salary
Fun part time but not long time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2016
Working for Indigo isn't hard. It's fun, and the customers are usually pretty great. What isn't fun is the lack of hours, forward mobility, and benefits. Had to leave because I wasn't able to live on >20 hours a week.
Pros
fun environment, discount on merchandise, small incentives
Cons
Minimum wage, not many hours, unwilling to give more hours
Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HO27 March 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Great Place to work if you love books
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC5 September 2016
Very customer oriented which all retail jobs should be but makes it very hard for tasking and getting work done. Book lovers dream.
Pros
good benefits
Beautiful Environment but Strained Atmosphere
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 February 2017
Their mantra is to bring customers joy, which they do, but staff aren't treated incredibly well. Management is difficult and often catty, condescending, highly demanding, gossipy, and negligent toward CER questions and concerns.

Was never fully trained and given negative reviews on performance when I was never taught many aspects of the job but expected to know them anyway.

Kind of a sink-or-swim environment.
Pros
beautiful environment, CER staff are generally nice
Cons
negligent management, full availability expected but no hours guaranteed
Inviting work-place.
"Sales Rep. / Cashier" (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 February 2017
Indigo Books has been an incredible experience for me, which has given me several opportunities to learn and grow, especially when it comes to the world of retail. The environment was very inviting, my co-workers were fantastic and friendly to work with, and although certain aspects were tough to learn, I found myself able to get by obstacles through the help of the management team.
Pros
Frequent breaks, desirable hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
N/A
Bring your best self.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2017
Indigo is an organization that is constantly evolving into being a company about the people that work within the organization. They promote bringing your best self to work and strive to create an environment that meets that expectation. The openness of communication between head office, business partners and the stores ensure that peoples voices are being heard and if a problem arises then solutions are worked on.
Pros
Employee perks, access to great products
Cons
Dresscode
Culturally enriching
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2016
It is a great place to work. You meet and get to interact with a variety of different customers and learn something with every conversation, which makes it a culturally enriching environment. The staff is super nice, everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with, even management, who are so down to earth and approachable. The downfall is the pay is minimum, which is tough.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Pay
good and interesting job
General Helper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Time management skills
management is very well
co-workers are helpful in nature
picking is hardest job because sometimes items are not available

Sorting and packing
Pros
free lunch and gift cards
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 September 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Good work environment!
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Indigo very much. Most of my coworkers and managers were very nice and supportive. I was hired on as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, I would have liked to stay but the permanent position was not guaranteed.
Fun and interactive
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC11 January 2017
Very exciting workplace especially if you're into reading or the arts. Lots of new product and very nice customers. Always something new to learn with changing policies.
Pros
Free birthday book
Cons
Not enough hours
Good people.
HO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
In my particular role, there are demanding hours and high stress that demand quick decisions. With high stakes, there's high rewards...There's so many people and talent, it can be a fun workplace.
Pros
Variety of people and talent
Cons
Inconsistant leadership
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Working with most of the employees was a blast. Everyone becomes as a part of a family and hangs out after work together. Unfortunately most of the employees were let go all at once.
Pros
You want to go to work
Cons
Mass layoff
Excellent work environment and team culture.
SGM (Sales/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON18 August 2016
Excellent work environment and team culture.
Great management. Products are up to date and always interesting.
Great customer focused business, a pleasure to work there.

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location