Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent work environment and team culture.
SGM (Sales/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONAugust 18, 2016
Excellent work environment and team culture.
Great management. Products are up to date and always interesting.
Great customer focused business, a pleasure to work there.
Cheerful and Safe Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCAugust 15, 2016
Indigio is filled with the majority of your clients who are understanding and polite. The management isn't overbearing and are completely understanding.

Great place to work at.
Productive, Fun, Exciting
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work involved recommending books that work best with the customer at hand. It is exciting and fun to always connect with others over books that you both enjoy, or to help them find a book they may enjoy. I learned how to connect with others on an interpersonal level. My co-workers are great people, we work together in an effective manner. I enjoy being part of this team.
Enjoyable Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, ABJune 20, 2016
I am an avid reader so working in an environment where I can sell books to customers and recommend some of my favorites is rewarding an fun.
Pros
Discounts. Recommending books, Great Products
Cons
Not enough hours, Not reliable work
An amazing retail environment and community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 19, 2016
Working for Indigo Books & Music has been the best retail experience I have had. Being given so many skills with sales, customer service, and management helped me further myself as an employee and a person
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
Amazing work atmosphere for a retail place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 15, 2016
Chapters has a great customer base and even better employees who work well together and are super friendly at most locations. Chapters provided great customer service training online courses, group role play and a few days of shadow shifts. They really want you to feel comfortable working there. It was nice to work for the company.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
Wonderful place to work with a great time
Belleville ON - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ONJune 2, 2016
Co workers are wonderful and management team is great and very flexible.The customers we interact with are phenomenal and easy to work with. The hours are great.
Indigo
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 26, 2016
never worked in a book warehouse before and it was a great learning experience. specially with the shipping and receiving end it was truly nice.
Pros
Good Pay Nice Co-Workers
Cons
Agency Work With No Oppertunity To Move Up Or Get Higher Pay
Great Advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4May 24, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Indigo. The CEO's vision is incomparable!! Advancement within the company is always encouraged.
Pros
advancement
Cons
pay isn't great for upper level management
Periodic team building incentives
CER/Tasker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I think that in the customer service realm especially, a happy worker will be far more successful than a discouraged one. This I feel is a relatively easy goal to attain, as easy as bringing in coffee or lunch. When you have a healthy team environment, the results reflect tenfold in customer experience.

Amazing team environment= excellent job.
Indigo
Category Management, Assortment, Online & Buying (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Its was a fun and inspiring place to work. Enjoyed many of the day aspects of my day. But unfortunately, management was to focused on brainstorming for the next big thing, and the quality of work suffered.
Pros
Free Books
Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Cons
What's more fun then books!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 4, 2016
I typically worked days at the job. I love reading books, so this was an amazing job for me. I learned how to up-sell and how to explain an entire novel in 30secs. I enjoyed talking about books with customers and hearing their personal recommendations. The hardest part was at Christmas when you're balancing six customers at once, but it's all about being organized.
Pros
Working with Books
Can't say enough good things
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ONMay 4, 2016
Indigo was a well versed and well run company that was a great place to work as a seasonal associate. I greatly enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Lots of company event days
Cons
Can't think of any
Customers and books
Supervisor/ Sales Generation Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
I would be at the store for 7am. Then i would look over the emails and notes to see what needs to be down. There would always be notes on new displays from head office to set up before opening at 8am. after making sure all product was ready for opening, i would then deal with the paperwork from the sales of the precise day. Then set up the tills and make sure the safe is set with enough coin for the day by going to the bank after 9am. After opening There would be 2 hours where no other sales person is in the store but me and the customers. Customers always would come first over cleaning or just fixing shelves. To make sure everyone had a good time in the store was a goal of everyone working there. Since we were all book nerds it was never hard to start up a great conversation where the customer would walk out happy and with something you recommended in their hands. The job was about helping. Then after 2:30pm i would start going over what needed to be done before closing that night but just in case the customer demand was to much there was always a backup plan for any ongoing projects. Then i would do my last rounds of the store to make sure nothing had gone too wrong before a left as well as letting everyone i worked with i would see them the next day or their next shift.
Pros
30% off books
Cons
no full time
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Aggressive Target Oriented
Senior SAP/ABAP Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Very dynamic environment. Aggressive goals and target oriented management. Very competitive work place. High turnover at all levels.
Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HOMarch 27, 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 26, 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location