Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Appearance is everything.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2016
A Canadian book store that tries too hard to impress you.
Pretends to care with Love of Reading Foundation only because it needs to secure future customers. Boasts about how Canadian it is yet gift products and toys are not truly Canadian. Has questionable content in books on shelves. Gives employees insufficient hours to avoid paying health benefits. No room for growth if management does not like you. No accountability from management between employee and management. Blame rolls down hill. No confident foresight in planing from operations due to high stress and traffic during busy times.
Pros
Books, good discount.
Cons
Min wage. No genuine transparency.
Enjoyable to be around books.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 November 2016
I enjoy books, so enjoyed being around them. I was excited to provide Guests with excellent customer service and help them find what they were looking for.
engoyable and great workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2016
stocking and displaying merchandise. co workers are great coaches.
management is good and hard working, leading by example.
Work place and enviroment
Costumer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON7 October 2016
Great place to work, great people and a huge sense of team with all employees. It's a place where customers become friends and specifically require and ask for your assistance.
Culturally enriching
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2016
It is a great place to work. You meet and get to interact with a variety of different customers and learn something with every conversation, which makes it a culturally enriching environment. The staff is super nice, everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with, even management, who are so down to earth and approachable. The downfall is the pay is minimum, which is tough.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Pay
Fun part time but not long time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2016
Working for Indigo isn't hard. It's fun, and the customers are usually pretty great. What isn't fun is the lack of hours, forward mobility, and benefits. Had to leave because I wasn't able to live on >20 hours a week.
Pros
fun environment, discount on merchandise, small incentives
Cons
Minimum wage, not many hours, unwilling to give more hours
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 September 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Great Place to work if you love books
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC5 September 2016
Very customer oriented which all retail jobs should be but makes it very hard for tasking and getting work done. Book lovers dream.
Pros
good benefits
Great dynamics with co-workers
Tasker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 September 2016
Typically I get up at 4:30 am to start my shift at 5am. This part kills me I am not naturally a morning person and I work another job so this part is difficult. Once I get inside and clock in I ask for the rundown of what is happening for that morning. If we are blitzing, we try to drop books from the previous day and then set up our door-to-floor station. We then start unpacking skids. We are organized so that about 3 people unpack trade boxes and there is usually 1 or 2 people on gift and one on toys. the first 2 hours is this and we constantly drop product when carts get full. Around 7:30 am we break for 15, and then start shelving product. Sometimes if we finish quickly we start on another task and generally make sure the store looks nice and neat. Once that is done the store will open around 9:30 am and for the part-timers usually leave around this time unless we are asked to stay later. Most of the full-time employees stay until 1 p.m. The store that I work at in particular is small so we have a small crew. So you really get to know each other and find out who you really click with. It is not customer service based when you are a part-timer, which is nice. They were also extremely accommodating with my school schedule and my other job which was a huge contrast from Fortinos, where they weren't as accommodating. Whenever, we meet our quota for each quarter we get a $25 gift cards and also get free breakfasts.
Pros
Great small crew, free breakfasts
Cons
early hours, inconsistent hours
Overworked, unrealistic expections, low wages
task, CER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
The co-workers are the best part of this job because you are all there because you are avid readers and want to share your love of books with others.

The store I was at went through over 20 managers in the four years I was there! Department heads were done away with and tasking meant you did it all! Not enough staff, short shifts and high unrealistic expectations result in low staff morale. Sales staff were treated better than the taskers who do the brunt of the work.
Pros
staff discounts, great benefits package
Cons
low pay, lack of recognition, lack of support and training
Excellent work environment and team culture.
SGM (Sales/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON18 August 2016
Excellent work environment and team culture.
Great management. Products are up to date and always interesting.
Great customer focused business, a pleasure to work there.
Cheerful and Safe Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC15 August 2016
Indigio is filled with the majority of your clients who are understanding and polite. The management isn't overbearing and are completely understanding.

Great place to work at.
Productive, Fun, Exciting
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 July 2016
A typical day at work involved recommending books that work best with the customer at hand. It is exciting and fun to always connect with others over books that you both enjoy, or to help them find a book they may enjoy. I learned how to connect with others on an interpersonal level. My co-workers are great people, we work together in an effective manner. I enjoy being part of this team.
Enjoyable Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, AB20 June 2016
I am an avid reader so working in an environment where I can sell books to customers and recommend some of my favorites is rewarding an fun.
Pros
Discounts. Recommending books, Great Products
Cons
Not enough hours, Not reliable work
An amazing retail environment and community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 June 2016
Working for Indigo Books & Music has been the best retail experience I have had. Being given so many skills with sales, customer service, and management helped me further myself as an employee and a person
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
Amazing work atmosphere for a retail place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 June 2016
Chapters has a great customer base and even better employees who work well together and are super friendly at most locations. Chapters provided great customer service training online courses, group role play and a few days of shadow shifts. They really want you to feel comfortable working there. It was nice to work for the company.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
Wonderful place to work with a great time
Belleville ON - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON2 June 2016
Co workers are wonderful and management team is great and very flexible.The customers we interact with are phenomenal and easy to work with. The hours are great.
Indigo
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 May 2016
never worked in a book warehouse before and it was a great learning experience. specially with the shipping and receiving end it was truly nice.
Pros
Good Pay Nice Co-Workers
Cons
Agency Work With No Oppertunity To Move Up Or Get Higher Pay
Great Advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB424 May 2016
I really enjoyed working for Indigo. The CEO's vision is incomparable!! Advancement within the company is always encouraged.
Pros
advancement
Cons
pay isn't great for upper level management

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location