Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

a great place to work.
Customer Experience Leader (Current Employee) –  Severn, ON22 June 2017
I Love working with books, it has been great to be able to help customers get into a new series, as well being introduced into a new series myself. it has been a wonderful experience.
Dull job with a great environment and very friendly and fun crew
5 a.m. Tasking (Current Employee) –  North York, ON16 June 2017
This is a job for you to spend money rather than earning money...Work time is either in the morning from 5am to 9am or overnight from 10pm to 6am. The responsibility is to tidy up the store, open up boxes to take stuffs out, shelf books, toys and gifts onto the shelves. As mentioned in the summary, this is a very dull job that has no challenge at all. During the morning shift, we usually use the first 2 hours to open boxes and take things out and sort them onto different carts and the other 2 to shelf books. The overnight shift usually has something to do with big projects, such as inventory or changeover.
However, even the task itself is not challenging, it is still fun to work at this job. All the managers are very exciting and positive person, as well as most of the workers. The crew is mostly students or old ladies who are extremely friendly, so there's always a lot of fun things being talked about while working, and you have to noticed that as a member of the tasking crew, you are always the first one to know what is new and interesting arriving to the store and what is lately on sale. With your 30% employees' discount, I ensure you that if you like the store you will possibly spend a lot more money here than what you earned--happens to me all the time since I'm a real reader and I love pretty gifts. The better thing about the job, however, is that it is a part time job in the morning so you can always find a second job during day time.
Pros
Random treats and pizza from the manager; 30% off employees' discount
Cons
weird schedules...sometime only once a week, other times you might be scheduled 5 or 6 days per week...
Did not enjoy my experience while employed there
Administrative Coordinator, Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 June 2017
Did not enjoy working for management. Very stressful and secretive was not forth coming with information. Did not feel like compensation was adequate for the job
Pros
yearly book sales
Cons
Everything else
Fun environment, little long-term benefit.
Tasker on Duty (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 June 2017
If you're drawn to working at a bookstore, likely you'll find yourself working with like-minded people who you get along with, which makes the work quite enjoyable.

However, the pay is mediocre (though likely comparable to most retail). Corporate policy does not allow management to provide references to leaving employees, so unless you want to work your way up the company, the long-term benefits of working there are debatable. You walk out with nothing to show for your time there.

Beyond that, the same pros and cons as general retail. People have exciting ideas about working at a bookstore, but the shine comes off the apple quickly, and it's the same as any other retail job.
I Enjoy Going to Work
Order Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 June 2017
I originally started on the morning shift as a temp but got hired onto the afternoon shift full time. I really enjoy going to work and am given different things to learn which is awesome to help keep variety. I don't dread the company meetings and everyone who works there is friendly. A lot of places, you never meet anyone from HR but I met several within my first few months, including the CEO. The work loads are varied as it depends on customer orders and I've heard that Christmas is insanely busy. I'm proud to be working for Indigo and can't wait to continue my journey with them.
Pros
Good pay, get out early, aren't just an employee number, open dialogue, fun and diverse enviroment, friendly staff
Very clique
Shipper/Receiver/ Inv. Lead (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 June 2017
Very fast- paced
The work culture was that of a playground in elementary school
Staff was immature, clique and remiss when it came to giving exceptional customer service
the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting authors at book signings and speaking the sales reps from publishing houses
Pros
Free ARC books
Cons
Long exhaustive hours
Pretty Sweet and Relaxing Place
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 May 2017
Great place, wonderful vibe, and the employees are really nice too. But this is more a job for a retiree or someone looking for part time work, I stand behind the products being sold.
Friendly people and organized chaos
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON26 May 2017
Very hectic, on the whole people there are nice. A typical day on the job involves replenishing book stacks, reorganizing, cleaning, and approaching others and asking if they need help finding anything. I learned how to speak to people, not to fear approaching others. The workplace culture is all about helping out, picking up the slack, and making friends. Very friendly people there. The hardest part of the job is being placed in a section you don't typically spend a lot of time in (for me, nonfiction). The most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about these sections, and being able to find something abstract and different because you'd had to find it before for someone else (for me, it was tarot cards).
Pros
Library policy with books
Cons
More disorganized than I thought it would be
Fun place to work with great people
Cashier on Duty (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
Great environment to work in with openminded coworkers. Everyday at work is exciting, you get to meet new people everyday who like the same things as you.
Pros
Great conversations with book people
Cons
Compete for hours.
Cer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
• Managed the administrative aspects of the business from HR, marketing, accounts payable and receivable, marketing, procurement, and office management.
• Studied the market to identify trends and their impact on consumer demand.
• Checked daily sales reports and cash receipts.
• Managed with success the number one video store in the neighborhood with more than 2,000 customers, being recognized as an example of quality in customer service.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
minimum age paiment
Very good work environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
I like to work with this company, because of its working style and good behavior of co-workers.
The job is near to my home and it's very easy to reach the workplace.
I work for weekends only but sometimes I used to go on weekdays too.
They pay for extra hours and provides gifts for more production.
Pros
good pay, free food sometimes
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON11 May 2017
I was only hired seasonally as a CER but I still enjoyed the few months I worked there.
Everyone was great to work with. Management were organized and very approachable.
Scheduling was alright, I could have done with more hours but there were a lot of us only working for the holidays. At least it was easy to pick up other shifts from people.
It got kinda hectic around Christmas and Boxing Day, but things ran about as smoothly as possible. I worked on cash and there was always someone more experienced there in case I had any questions.
Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely work there again
good place to work
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 May 2017
it was very good place to work . i have learned to use scanner there and order picking. management was good and very enjoyable place to work. all supervisors and coordinators.
Flexible and pleasant environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 May 2017
Very good company to work for, very flexible and provides a great retail environment to work in. They provide occasional paid meetings in broadening product knowledge and take the time to listen to the concerns of employees
Great place to be
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS29 April 2017
It's a great environment, great staff and work environment and the hours were amazing! All staff were positive and willing to help one another out there was nothing really bad to say about the work place at all.
Pros
Great staff, positive work environment and great management
productive
Packer/picking/scanning (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 April 2017
my overall experience at this place was good. All Staff members are very nice and co-operative .its a good place to work with full security and safety.
Good placeto be
Operations Team Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2017
Great place to work, good enviroment, fun people and supprotive of the community. It's great, I love the programs both for employees and for customers.
Pros
Discount, book programs
Cons
Benifits are impossible to get
Great team atmosphere and culture
cer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
The perfect job for a cultured book lover. Must be team oriented to enjoy and succeed in postion. Great job if you don't mind a bit of physical work included .
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Lack of hours. Incensitive and bias management . Can't get ahead if management doesn't like you
A job that you can take home with you.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 April 2017
Working at Coles was not a hard job. It had moments where there was a lot of work to be done, but overall, Coles was an excellent company that fostered reading, literacy and community. I was in charge of keeping the store tidy, closing the store (counting tills, balancing the safe), and engaging with customers. My fellow employees were realistic about heir position in a minimum wage job, but appreciative of what Indigo does for its employees and the benefits of working for the company.
By far the best part about working for Indigo is the book borrow. It is a strenuous process, but by letting employees take home books, read them carefully, and then bring them back, it expanded my ability to talk to customers who were looking for the book that I had borrowed.
Pros
book borrow, community engagement
Cons
slow days
Fun workplace
Corporate Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 April 2017
Indigo Books is a great place to work, lots of fun activities planned monthly with lots of incentives for the employees
Staff is very helpful
on site cafeteria with great food.
Pros
Extra activites throughout the year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music. Our community is ready to answer.

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location