Indigo Books & Music Employee Review

View all Indigo Books & Music reviews

Creative Work Environment Offering Countless Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2014
I worked for Indigo Books & Music for nearly 8 years, and were it not for a number of store closures and lay offs I would have continued to work for them even longer. It was a bibliophile's dream job.

Staff and management were usually comprised of a lot of creative types, eager to learn and generally pretty voracious readers. There was room for countless personality types throughout the store and they all found a niche where they could share what they knew and work among the subjects that they enjoyed.

As with any retail environment there are both pros and cons. The pros included the option to borrow books, discounts on products, access to all sorts of interesting books and other items, and the ability to talk about these things and share them with others on a daily basis. The cons included relatively poor wages and a constant scrambling for shifts as the option for full time work was relatively scarce. Working in customer service can always provide both extremely enjoyable and tremendously difficult experiences, and I don't think that Indigo is any different than any other retail environment in having a healthy combination of both.

In my eight years I worked in all areas of the store from cashier to shipping and receiving and I am grateful that Indigo's policy of ensuring all staff are extensively cross-trained has supplied me with skills I can take in to many different environments in the future.
Pros
book borrowing privileges, merchandise discounts, relatively good benefits package
Cons
poor wages, unreliable shift availability, scarce full time opportunities

Other Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Working at Indigo
Cashier on Duty (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 December 2017
The management was alright but our head manager would consistently micro manage and the pay was okay. The nice thing was that the other people who worked there were really cool. You can have a lot of hours if you'd like but they were strict on how little you could work. We also had some fun book releases that we had events for. One of the nice things was that you were acknowledged for your hard work.
Pros
Free books
Cons
Managers are alright
Best job I ever had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 December 2017
Great job, great bosses, cool colleagues; it's a great atmosphere to work in and anyone would be lucky to be employed by them. If you love books, it's a dream come true.