Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

LP was a great Department to work in
Cycle Count Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 March 2017
Loss Prevention was a great department to work for under the Finance umbrella. Driven, passionate, informed and successful were all characteristics that made the team better.
lot's of work but definitely lot's of fun
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time with the indigo family. Great prices on books good incentives and competitions. The only drawback though is the lack of full time hours which is usually only available for management.
Pros
great atmosphere with plenty to do
Cons
no full time hours available to most regular staff
fun workplace
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
management is easy to talk to, always fun at work, coworkers always able to talk and listen, the hardest part would be trying to assist a customer in a genre of books you aren't quite familiar with.
Positive Workplace, Good experience
Customer Experience Representative (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2017
I worked as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, so it was especially busy, more than the rest of the year. Typically, we are expected to promote any sales that are going on in the store, walking around the floor and asking customers if any help is needed. It is easy to locate books and other products, as a quick search in the computer should be able to tell you exactly where it is. Sometimes you might need to check the back room and grab a product for a customer. All the co-workers are friendly and bubbly, and the management is amazing and understanding. It is difficult to work in such a busy environment for so many hours, which was probably the hardest part of the job. By the end of the day I was emotionally exhausted and wanted nothing more than to lie in my bed and not talk to anyone, but someone more extroverted than me would probably not find an issue in the work environment.
Pros
Great discounts, friendly coworkers and management
Cons
High stimulus, standing for long hours, loud repetitive music
fun place to work it
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 March 2017
best place to work for. the management were very nice, always helping you if you need an thing.flexible schedule. great place to learn and read new literature everyday.
I loved working for indigo
Assistant customer experience manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
I enjoyed my position with this company. I started out as a head cashier and quickly became assistant customer experience manager. I became a single mother while I was working at indigo and was unable to stay due to the lower wages, but I loved working there and miss it often.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Low wages
Fun place to work with an upbeat staff.
Tasker and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 March 2017
Working at Indigo is probably the most fun I've had working at a job. The people there don't take themselves to seriously and are a lot of fun to work with. The management was always supportive of us. Only cons would be minimal hours and very early mornings but other than that it was great.
a Productive work place
Costumer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 March 2017
The typical workday involves checking incoming stock and re-stocking shelves to keep levels high, assisting customers with their searches for products.
Pros
Nice work enviroment and access to books
Cons
Non family friendly hours
Productive and Rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
The people are nice and helpful. The store's working standards are very good.I was trained as cashier so it was a very productive experience. The job was not really hard in any way as I would say it was rather rewarding.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Working with most of the employees was a blast. Everyone becomes as a part of a family and hangs out after work together. Unfortunately most of the employees were let go all at once.
Pros
You want to go to work
Cons
Mass layoff
Inviting work-place.
"Sales Rep. / Cashier" (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 February 2017
Indigo Books has been an incredible experience for me, which has given me several opportunities to learn and grow, especially when it comes to the world of retail. The environment was very inviting, my co-workers were fantastic and friendly to work with, and although certain aspects were tough to learn, I found myself able to get by obstacles through the help of the management team.
Pros
Frequent breaks, desirable hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
N/A
Pilot Project
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Working as a supervisor for a pilot project which had never been done before was interesting.

This project enabled me to set a standard that would carry on in future years.
Pros
Pilot Project
Cons
Overnight hours
Beautiful Environment but Strained Atmosphere
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 February 2017
Their mantra is to bring customers joy, which they do, but staff aren't treated incredibly well. Management is difficult and often catty, condescending, highly demanding, gossipy, and negligent toward CER questions and concerns.

Was never fully trained and given negative reviews on performance when I was never taught many aspects of the job but expected to know them anyway.

Kind of a sink-or-swim environment.
Pros
beautiful environment, CER staff are generally nice
Cons
negligent management, full availability expected but no hours guaranteed
great place to work
Wearhouse worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 February 2017
it is a very clean fast pace work environment with the opportunities to grow and move up to higher positions. there isnt really any heavy lifting and not too much bending,
Extremely fun and welcoming work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
The managers at the Chinook branch in Calgary, AB were all very nice and fun to talk to; I was not worried at all to come to them about anything. I enjoyed coming to work as all the employees and managers understood if you were having a bad day or if you were late, they made the workplace and work duties fun as everyone had a great attitude towards work. It seemed as if the CEO really cared about all the lower-level employees.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, low amount of benefits
Really good job , plenty to learn
Coordinateur aux ventes corporatives (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 January 2017
Good and clean environment to work in . Learned a great deal in corporate sales especially with new softwares for office work such as excel . It was tough dealing with many orders at once but I managed to get the hang of it .
Pros
Work flexibility
Cons
salary
Awesome
CATEGORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Great place to work. Great people, great business partners. free to move around as you please. The pay is not great, but ti's appropriate for the book industry (which has very narrow margins and doesn't generate a lot of profit).
Good people.
HO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
In my particular role, there are demanding hours and high stress that demand quick decisions. With high stakes, there's high rewards...There's so many people and talent, it can be a fun workplace.
Pros
Variety of people and talent
Cons
Inconsistant leadership
Bring your best self.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2017
Indigo is an organization that is constantly evolving into being a company about the people that work within the organization. They promote bringing your best self to work and strive to create an environment that meets that expectation. The openness of communication between head office, business partners and the stores ensure that peoples voices are being heard and if a problem arises then solutions are worked on.
Pros
Employee perks, access to great products
Cons
Dresscode
Good work environment!
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Indigo very much. Most of my coworkers and managers were very nice and supportive. I was hired on as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, I would have liked to stay but the permanent position was not guaranteed.

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location