Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Appearance is everything.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2016
A Canadian book store that tries too hard to impress you.
Pretends to care with Love of Reading Foundation only because it needs to secure future customers. Boasts about how Canadian it is yet gift products and toys are not truly Canadian. Has questionable content in books on shelves. Gives employees insufficient hours to avoid paying health benefits. No room for growth if management does not like you. No accountability from management between employee and management. Blame rolls down hill. No confident foresight in planing from operations due to high stress and traffic during busy times.
Pros
Books, good discount.
Cons
Min wage. No genuine transparency.
Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HO27 March 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Overworked, unrealistic expections, low wages
task, CER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
The co-workers are the best part of this job because you are all there because you are avid readers and want to share your love of books with others.

The store I was at went through over 20 managers in the four years I was there! Department heads were done away with and tasking meant you did it all! Not enough staff, short shifts and high unrealistic expectations result in low staff morale. Sales staff were treated better than the taskers who do the brunt of the work.
Pros
staff discounts, great benefits package
Cons
low pay, lack of recognition, lack of support and training
Excellent work environment and team culture.
SGM (Sales/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON18 August 2016
Excellent work environment and team culture.
Great management. Products are up to date and always interesting.
Great customer focused business, a pleasure to work there.
Culturally enriching
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2016
It is a great place to work. You meet and get to interact with a variety of different customers and learn something with every conversation, which makes it a culturally enriching environment. The staff is super nice, everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with, even management, who are so down to earth and approachable. The downfall is the pay is minimum, which is tough.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Pay
Positive and relaxed environment
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 March 2016
I worked at Indigo during my first pregnancy as a seasonal associate so I was only there for a couple months. In that time I spent most of my shifts either on cash or in the children's books section. I'm usually not very good with children, so this forced me to interact with them more often than usual and taught me different communication skills than what I would normally use with adults. Cashier responsibilities included advertising the current promotion and signing up new rewards members along with the standard duties of ringing through purchases.

The most challenging part of the job was finding books customers were searching for since some books fit into multiple categories and were not always re-shelved in the correct location.

I enjoyed working at Indigo because it was a friendly and relaxed environment and the managers and other staff were energetic and fun to be around. I am also a big reader so I enjoyed the staff discounts on books and other children's items for my new baby.
Pros
close to home, flexible hours, discounts on books
Cons
long hours standing
Fun part time but not long time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2016
Working for Indigo isn't hard. It's fun, and the customers are usually pretty great. What isn't fun is the lack of hours, forward mobility, and benefits. Had to leave because I wasn't able to live on >20 hours a week.
Pros
fun environment, discount on merchandise, small incentives
Cons
Minimum wage, not many hours, unwilling to give more hours
Great Advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB424 May 2016
I really enjoyed working for Indigo. The CEO's vision is incomparable!! Advancement within the company is always encouraged.
Pros
advancement
Cons
pay isn't great for upper level management
Great Place to work if you love books
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC5 September 2016
Very customer oriented which all retail jobs should be but makes it very hard for tasking and getting work done. Book lovers dream.
Pros
good benefits
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
engoyable and great workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2016
stocking and displaying merchandise. co workers are great coaches.
management is good and hard working, leading by example.
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 September 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 April 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Cheerful and Safe Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC15 August 2016
Indigio is filled with the majority of your clients who are understanding and polite. The management isn't overbearing and are completely understanding.

Great place to work at.
Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 May 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Aggressive Target Oriented
Senior SAP/ABAP Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2016
Very dynamic environment. Aggressive goals and target oriented management. Very competitive work place. High turnover at all levels.
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 March 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours
Customer Service and Team-Oriented work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 March 2016
A typical day involved many aspects of multitasking including helping customers, shipping and receiving, answering telephones, cash management, and merchandizing/organizing.
Excellent customer service is a must so management presented several helps on what was expected.
Was nice working in a smaller store as the environment with co-workers was like that of a family.
I think the most challenging part of the job was dealing with difficult customer situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was providing good customer service and working in an environment that I had a passion for.
Wonderful place to work with a great time
Belleville ON - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON2 June 2016
Co workers are wonderful and management team is great and very flexible.The customers we interact with are phenomenal and easy to work with. The hours are great.
I am a highly motivated Logistics Manager with a high energy level
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 October 2015
Being a confident team player with good time management and organizational skills, I can ensure attention to detail while handling a high volume of work. I rely upon my strong interpersonal abilities to positively interact with others and realize the need for good communication on the job at all levels. With good analytical and judgement abilities, I value a practical approach to problem solving and troubleshooting. I possess an excellent attendance and work record, am in sound physical condition and my hours are flexible. I understand the importance of a safety conscious work ethic and perform well in a demanding environment. I am always interested in extending my skill base.
Pros
excellent culture and organizational stability
Cons
Need change

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location