Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Entry Level Retail Job
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
Pros: co-workers & management
Cons: salary & growth
Indigo Books & Music is an excellent entry point into the world of work and specifically retail work. The job is a typical retail environment that teaches its employees the staples of a Sales Representative. The perfect entry level job into the workforce.
Great company with great people
Store Employee, Manager & Ops Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2015
Pros: awesome people
Working for Indigo Books for over a decade was a great experience. The people that Indigo hires are full of passion and dedication to the written word. Working from the ground up I was able to learn every aspect of the company and steadily grow into roles of increasingly more responsibility. Many of the managers in store care deeply for their employees and those working at the Home Office care passionately for the stores. The changing landscape of retail has meant major changes for the company but books are always the anchor.
An extremely passionate, and educational, work experience
Sales Generating Manager (Former Employee), Willowdale, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free book loan system
Cons: inconsistent hours
At Indigo Books & Music, I got to do what I love the most, every single day, and that was to share my intense passion for reading with others who share that same love. A typical day included stocking new items, promoting titles I like, and outlining membership benefits. My co-workers became my second family, which only strengthened our ability to meet company goals as a team.

I learned time-management, and built upon my organizational and communication skills-Indigo Books made me a more confident person. The hardest part of the job was the inconsistent hours of part-time work. However, the outstanding management team always tried their best to accommodate my needs. They also provided monthly performance reviews, and coaching, when needed.

Working at Indigo Books & Music was one of the most positive experiences I've ever had in my life, in terms of what I learned, and how I grew as a person.
Productive and fun workplace environment with both customers and associate.
Associate Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at Coles starts out with store preparation before store opening. I would do my cashier duties such as counting tills and counting the safe. After that I would do my paperwork and reviewing of emails from both vendors and fellow management. Later I would review the store to make sure its visually appealing before opening. After that I would review the daily goals with my associates and encourage customer service. I would interact with my key holders and CEM about the hourly goals and details, Near the end of my shift I would review my emails and communicate with my CEM and key holders, I enjoy the interaction with my fellow managers and regional managers. They're kind and personable and caring about my development. The hardest part of the job was on boarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and their needs. Finding and recommending books rewarding when you see the joy it brings the customer.
A day in the life . . .
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 28, 2014
Pros: a nice environment.
Cons: a four month christmas!
A typical day as an Indigo receiver is pretty fast paced and challenging. There is plenty of shipments to warehouse and unpack with not a lot of room to work with (at least at this particular store). Therefore, I have learned to prioritize and manage a warehouse with great skill, and have had the various management teams over the years concur with and appreciate my abilities. My co-workers during my fourteen years and counting have been a diverse and motley sort that have enriched my life and taught me many interesting things. The hardest part of my job is handling the Christmas incoming (retail, usually begins September!) product. I always get it in and sorted but it is ticklish! The most enjoyable is getting through Christmas without injury!
Easy and fun position
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, OntarioJune 25, 2014
Pros: get to meet all different types of people including the customers and colleagues
Cons: low pay, only part time work available
- worked on cash
- did purchases and returns
- dealt with customer complaints
- good, hard-working management team
- co-workers were nice and welcoming
- the most difficult part of the job was when high season hit, this included long hours and not much down time
- the most enjoyable part was making great friends on the job
Creative Work Environment Offering Countless Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 9, 2014
Pros: book borrowing privileges, merchandise discounts, relatively good benefits package
Cons: poor wages, unreliable shift availability, scarce full time opportunities
I worked for Indigo Books & Music for nearly 8 years, and were it not for a number of store closures and lay offs I would have continued to work for them even longer. It was a bibliophile's dream job.

Staff and management were usually comprised of a lot of creative types, eager to learn and generally pretty voracious readers. There was room for countless personality types throughout the store and they all found a niche where they could share what they knew and work among the subjects that they enjoyed.

As with any retail environment there are both pros and cons. The pros included the option to borrow books, discounts on products, access to all sorts of interesting books and other items, and the ability to talk about these things and share them with others on a daily basis. The cons included relatively poor wages and a constant scrambling for shifts as the option for full time work was relatively scarce. Working in customer service can always provide both extremely enjoyable and tremendously difficult experiences, and I don't think that Indigo is any different than any other retail environment in having a healthy combination of both.

In my eight years I worked in all areas of the store from cashier to shipping and receiving and I am grateful that Indigo's policy of ensuring all staff are extensively cross-trained has supplied me with skills I can take in to many different environments in the future.
Fun & smart individuals.
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioOctober 22, 2013
Pros: great people.
Cons: poor choice of management in certain ranks.
Learnt a lot & did a lot. Great place for someone starting off their career. Young/dynamic environment. Could use some structure at times.
Fun job while I went to college
CSR - Receiving (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2012
Pros: fun
Cons: paid $9/hr
I met some of my best friends to this day working here. We had a good time but I think anything I write here is moot as it will depend - probably 100% - on who your store manager is.

Yeah they shipped us way too much stuff every Christmas and we had 10' high piles of boxes to unpack, but we had fun.