Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Cons
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Amazing work atmosphere for a retail place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 15, 2016
Chapters has a great customer base and even better employees who work well together and are super friendly at most locations. Chapters provided great customer service training online courses, group role play and a few days of shadow shifts. They really want you to feel comfortable working there. It was nice to work for the company.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
What's more fun then books!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 4, 2016
I typically worked days at the job. I love reading books, so this was an amazing job for me. I learned how to up-sell and how to explain an entire novel in 30secs. I enjoyed talking about books with customers and hearing their personal recommendations. The hardest part was at Christmas when you're balancing six customers at once, but it's all about being organized.
Pros
Working with Books
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 26, 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours
Periodic team building incentives
CER/Tasker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I think that in the customer service realm especially, a happy worker will be far more successful than a discouraged one. This I feel is a relatively easy goal to attain, as easy as bringing in coffee or lunch. When you have a healthy team environment, the results reflect tenfold in customer experience.

Amazing team environment= excellent job.
Customer Service and Team-Oriented work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 9, 2016
A typical day involved many aspects of multitasking including helping customers, shipping and receiving, answering telephones, cash management, and merchandizing/organizing.
Excellent customer service is a must so management presented several helps on what was expected.
Was nice working in a smaller store as the environment with co-workers was like that of a family.
I think the most challenging part of the job was dealing with difficult customer situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was providing good customer service and working in an environment that I had a passion for.
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
Productive and fun work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 7, 2016
Met with a manager at the beginning of every shift to go over sales targets for the day and any practises that needed to be put into place with every shift. Learned a lot about communication skills. Always provided excellent feedback on how to better myself as an employee and better employ the Indigo sales practises.
hard work, not being appreciated for effort
ACEM (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 27, 2016
work-large task list-makes day go fast
learned -to work well with large groups, the more you take on the more work given[unbalanced]
management-hard to trust some upper management, can not rely on HR
co-workers- where all great
hardest part of job-realising how under paid and unappreciated we are.
most enjoyable- regular customers , co-workers, variety of items

It is too bad the CEO does not really know what is happening in her company anymore. She use to do road shows to talk to store level staff , but she did not realize we where told what we could and could not ask her[immediate boss in room at time of questions] It was a great place to work before all the talent starting leaving at the store level and Head office.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
being bullied at work by some Headoffice/RD
Great environment to work in
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2016
Working at the book store was, overall a great job. My coworkers were friendly and we all became great friends. My manager was accommodating and really cared about the employees. I got to share my love of books with customers and coworkers everyday. Working here was an awesome experience. A hard part of the job would be some of the snarky customers that would come in, but thats a peril of working retail in general. The pay wasn't all that great but the discount was amazing!
Pros
Discount is great
Cons
Pay is not so good.
Fairly soulless retailer
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
A day consisted of greeting customers and helping them with their needs. Co-workers were great, but management gave the impression that employees are expendable. The feeling of being an insignificant and replaceable cog in a huge corporate machine was pervasive, despite being a book store. New and long-time staff alike struggled to get enough work hours.
Pros
Colleagues, bookstore atmosphere
Cons
bookstore atmosphere is a facade
Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HOMarch 27, 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Indigo
Category Management, Assortment, Online & Buying (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Its was a fun and inspiring place to work. Enjoyed many of the day aspects of my day. But unfortunately, management was to focused on brainstorming for the next big thing, and the quality of work suffered.
Pros
Free Books
fun work place
C.O.D. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2016
I love to read so I enjoyed working at indigo greatly. I was head cashier which mans I opened and closed the store, handled the money and paperwork for the store as well. I was also responsible for seting up display tables throughout the store as well.
Pros
Books, great discount
Cons
low pay and not enough hours
An amazing retail environment and community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 19, 2016
Working for Indigo Books & Music has been the best retail experience I have had. Being given so many skills with sales, customer service, and management helped me further myself as an employee and a person
working everyday with close friends, great work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to work and a enjoyable corporate atmosphere. The company truly wants to listen to any suggestions and support there staff. Very flexible hours and a friendly management staff.
Pros
great people, steady paced
Cons
repetitive, minimum wage, very competitive, cliquey
Amazing place for lovers of reading
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
-Saying hi to everyone, making sure everyone is welcome and attended to
-Striking a conversation and creating a unique experience
-Learn to communicate
-learn about sales
-Get to stay in touch with newest trends
Pros
Free books, discounts, unique enviroment
Cons
On your feet alot
Enjoyable Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, ABJune 20, 2016
I am an avid reader so working in an environment where I can sell books to customers and recommend some of my favorites is rewarding an fun.
Pros
Discounts. Recommending books, Great Products
Cons
Not enough hours, Not reliable work
Full of great staff and great management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
In a work day I would shelve books, handle customers -not always happy customers- and work as a cashier. These experiences allowed me to increase my productivity, professionalism, as well as my abilities to work as a leader.