Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Aggressive Target Oriented
Senior SAP/ABAP Developer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Very dynamic environment. Aggressive goals and target oriented management. Very competitive work place. High turnover at all levels.
Okay company
HO (Current Employee), HOMarch 27, 2016
Pros: Great people
Cons: No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 26, 2016
Pros: Interactions
Cons: Unstable Hours
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
day to day
Store Manager for Indigo Books, I (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
So much to do, keeps you busy. very few staff hours given to complete. Fall is only time where extra is given. We were already doing more with less . Now you even get micro managed and told you are not good, bulling common.
Positive and relaxed environment
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: close to home, flexible hours, discounts on books
Cons: long hours standing
I worked at Indigo during my first pregnancy as a seasonal associate so I was only there for a couple months. In that time I spent most of my shifts either on cash or in the children's books section. I'm usually not very good with children, so this forced me to interact with them more often than usual and taught me different communication skills than what I would normally use with adults. Cashier responsibilities included advertising the current promotion and signing up new rewards members along with the standard duties of ringing through purchases.

The most challenging part of the job was finding books customers were searching for since some books fit into multiple categories and were not always re-shelved in the correct location.

I enjoyed working at Indigo because it was a friendly and relaxed environment and the managers and other staff were energetic and fun to be around. I am also a big reader so I enjoyed the staff discounts on books and other children's items for my new baby.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Tasker (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
I love my job with the Indigo Inc. It provides a great learning experience and they care about their employees. I recommend to anyone looking for work to apply!
Customer Service and Team-Oriented work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 9, 2016
A typical day involved many aspects of multitasking including helping customers, shipping and receiving, answering telephones, cash management, and merchandizing/organizing.
Excellent customer service is a must so management presented several helps on what was expected.
Was nice working in a smaller store as the environment with co-workers was like that of a family.
I think the most challenging part of the job was dealing with difficult customer situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was providing good customer service and working in an environment that I had a passion for.
Productive and fun work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 7, 2016
Met with a manager at the beginning of every shift to go over sales targets for the day and any practises that needed to be put into place with every shift. Learned a lot about communication skills. Always provided excellent feedback on how to better myself as an employee and better employ the Indigo sales practises.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMarch 4, 2016
I enjoy the environment, I like to help people who are non - readers in finding something for them because it is a challenge and rewarding when they come back and say they enjoyed the recommendation.
fun work place
C.O.D. (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2016
Pros: Books, great discount
Cons: low pay and not enough hours
I love to read so I enjoyed working at indigo greatly. I was head cashier which mans I opened and closed the store, handled the money and paperwork for the store as well. I was also responsible for seting up display tables throughout the store as well.
Full of great staff and great management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
In a work day I would shelve books, handle customers -not always happy customers- and work as a cashier. These experiences allowed me to increase my productivity, professionalism, as well as my abilities to work as a leader.
Great Place to Work
CER/Key Holder (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Pros: Discount, Great Colleagues, Fun Environment, Mostly Fantastic Customers
Cons: Management, Unappreciated Work, Overworked
Working retail in the Indigo company definitely has its ups and downs.

It's fantastic working with books on a day to day basis, and when working alongside pleasant staff members, the day goes by extremely quickly and happily. And although I would see my fair share of disaggreeable, entitled, and rude customers, having regular clientele made it worth it. Another benefit is the ability to borrow hardcovers (so long as they're returned undamaged). The discount is great, and the "staff sales" have made my bookshelves explode with new books.

However, management is left to be desired. My location has had 5 different managers in 8 years, and only three of them were competent. The other two seriously needed training. The fact that the staff had to train their managers on a weekly basis definitely brought down the moral.

Regional managers aren't any better. They stop by, negatively critique your store, tells you to move everything around, then leaves again. Again, this happened frequently.

As for head office? We never heard from them. Sure, we'd receive the occasional "We're doing great!" e-mails, but that's about it. Defintiely no direction or assistance there!

The work itself is hit-and-miss. Some days, tasks roll in by the dozen, and shifts go by quickly. There are also days where there's nothing to do, and you're not allowed to talk with other employees (this might've only my store, but I'm not sure) - these shifts drag on.

The worst part of working with Indigo, I believe, is the unrealistic expectations from Head Office. They believe a task that normally takes – more... an hour can actually be done in 20 minutes. They also think all tasks can be done in a day, while also having all staff concentrate on all the customers all the time. It's defintiely exhausting.

Thankfully, not all stores are like this. Many of them are fantastic. And I wouldn't trade the years I worked at Indigo with any other retail job. In its own way, it's a wonderful job. Just don't expect to have much guidance from management. – less
Great people
Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Lots of great people to work with :D Not the greatest culture and can tend to be difficult when trying to be positive and optimistic.
Great work environment
Shift Lead (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCJanuary 30, 2016
Pros: book loans and staff discount
Cons: low wage
Typical day includes assisting customers find and choose their next great read. Most enjoyable part of the job was the "just say yes" policy. The management is fair and my store felt like one giant family.
Amazing place for lovers of reading
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: Free books, discounts, unique enviroment
Cons: On your feet alot
-Saying hi to everyone, making sure everyone is welcome and attended to
-Striking a conversation and creating a unique experience
-Learn to communicate
-learn about sales
-Get to stay in touch with newest trends
The amazing work environment makes up for waking up before the sun.
Tasking (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 28, 2016
The job consists of early mornings (5 am start time) and a lot of receiving, shelving, and organization, with customer service duties towards the end of each shift. Through this job, I have learned that if I set my mind to something, I can do pretty much anything, even become a morning person.

My managers are helpful and understanding of the work my team puts into the store and it's presentation. The tasking team is a wonderfully close knit little work family, but those who do floor and cashier duties never make us feel ostracized.

The hardest thing about the job overall would have to be the early morning. The hardest part of my shift is when we run out of time. We have so much new product coming in that it's sometimes hard to maintain what we already have.

My favourite part of the job is the sense of accomplishment I get when I organize or clean a display. To see a table or shelf go from a picked over mess to picture perfect is ridiculously satisfying.
hard work, not being appreciated for effort
ACEM (Former Employee), AlbertaJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: staff discount
Cons: being bullied at work by some Headoffice/RD
work-large task list-makes day go fast
learned -to work well with large groups, the more you take on the more work given[unbalanced]
management-hard to trust some upper management, can not rely on HR
co-workers- where all great
hardest part of job-realising how under paid and unappreciated we are.
most enjoyable- regular customers , co-workers, variety of items

It is too bad the CEO does not really know what is happening in her company anymore. She use to do road shows to talk to store level staff , but she did not realize we where told what we could and could not ask her[immediate boss in room at time of questions] It was a great place to work before all the talent starting leaving at the store level and Head office.
Fun place to work
visual merchandiser (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Fun place to work part time. There are opportunities for growth if thats what you desire. Job security is shaky, seems that after a few months they like to clean house... end peoples contracts.
productive and easy going work enviroment
floor sales (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 18, 2016
it was a great company to work for even if it was only seasonal .
i learned much about how the company opperates and merchandising.
the management was very good , made me want to work for them instead of feeling like i had to.