Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Inviting work-place.
"Sales Rep. / Cashier" (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 February 2017
Indigo Books has been an incredible experience for me, which has given me several opportunities to learn and grow, especially when it comes to the world of retail. The environment was very inviting, my co-workers were fantastic and friendly to work with, and although certain aspects were tough to learn, I found myself able to get by obstacles through the help of the management team.
Pros
Frequent breaks, desirable hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
N/A
Beautiful Environment but Strained Atmosphere
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 February 2017
Their mantra is to bring customers joy, which they do, but staff aren't treated incredibly well. Management is difficult and often catty, condescending, highly demanding, gossipy, and negligent toward CER questions and concerns.

Was never fully trained and given negative reviews on performance when I was never taught many aspects of the job but expected to know them anyway.

Kind of a sink-or-swim environment.
Pros
beautiful environment, CER staff are generally nice
Cons
negligent management, full availability expected but no hours guaranteed
Extremely fun and welcoming work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
The managers at the Chinook branch in Calgary, AB were all very nice and fun to talk to; I was not worried at all to come to them about anything. I enjoyed coming to work as all the employees and managers understood if you were having a bad day or if you were late, they made the workplace and work duties fun as everyone had a great attitude towards work. It seemed as if the CEO really cared about all the lower-level employees.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, low amount of benefits
Bring your best self.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 January 2017
Indigo is an organization that is constantly evolving into being a company about the people that work within the organization. They promote bringing your best self to work and strive to create an environment that meets that expectation. The openness of communication between head office, business partners and the stores ensure that peoples voices are being heard and if a problem arises then solutions are worked on.
Pros
Employee perks, access to great products
Cons
Dresscode
Lovely environment, no room for advancement.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 December 2016
The atmosphere was great, the perks that were offered were also equally lovely. However, none of this makes up for the minimum wage salary and how even when the wage goes up, your wage stays the same. For example if you have been there 5 years you will maybe only make 25 cents over minimum wage. Also, no room for advancement at the location I was at.
I loved working for indigo
Assistant customer experience manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
I enjoyed my position with this company. I started out as a head cashier and quickly became assistant customer experience manager. I became a single mother while I was working at indigo and was unable to stay due to the lower wages, but I loved working there and miss it often.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Low wages
Appearance is everything.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2016
A Canadian book store that tries too hard to impress you.
Pretends to care with Love of Reading Foundation only because it needs to secure future customers. Boasts about how Canadian it is yet gift products and toys are not truly Canadian. Has questionable content in books on shelves. Gives employees insufficient hours to avoid paying health benefits. No room for growth if management does not like you. No accountability from management between employee and management. Blame rolls down hill. No confident foresight in planing from operations due to high stress and traffic during busy times.
Pros
Books, good discount.
Cons
Min wage. No genuine transparency.
lot's of work but definitely lot's of fun
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time with the indigo family. Great prices on books good incentives and competitions. The only drawback though is the lack of full time hours which is usually only available for management.
Pros
great atmosphere with plenty to do
Cons
no full time hours available to most regular staff
Fun place to work with an upbeat staff.
Tasker and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 March 2017
Working at Indigo is probably the most fun I've had working at a job. The people there don't take themselves to seriously and are a lot of fun to work with. The management was always supportive of us. Only cons would be minimal hours and very early mornings but other than that it was great.
Really good job , plenty to learn
Coordinateur aux ventes corporatives (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 January 2017
Good and clean environment to work in . Learned a great deal in corporate sales especially with new softwares for office work such as excel . It was tough dealing with many orders at once but I managed to get the hang of it .
Pros
Work flexibility
Cons
salary

Want to know more about Indigo Books & Music?

Ask a question
great first job in canada
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2017
good job pity it was only seasonal and part time pretty easily crazy customers sometimes and good management, break only 15 mins unfortunately, good atmosphere and great for someone just starting work
Pros
benifits/ discounts great team
Cons
part time and seasonal
Good work environment!
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Indigo very much. Most of my coworkers and managers were very nice and supportive. I was hired on as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, I would have liked to stay but the permanent position was not guaranteed.
a Productive work place
Costumer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 March 2017
The typical workday involves checking incoming stock and re-stocking shelves to keep levels high, assisting customers with their searches for products.
Pros
Nice work enviroment and access to books
Cons
Non family friendly hours
Culturally enriching
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 September 2016
It is a great place to work. You meet and get to interact with a variety of different customers and learn something with every conversation, which makes it a culturally enriching environment. The staff is super nice, everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with, even management, who are so down to earth and approachable. The downfall is the pay is minimum, which is tough.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Working with most of the employees was a blast. Everyone becomes as a part of a family and hangs out after work together. Unfortunately most of the employees were let go all at once.
Pros
You want to go to work
Cons
Mass layoff
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 September 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Fun and interactive
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC11 January 2017
Very exciting workplace especially if you're into reading or the arts. Lots of new product and very nice customers. Always something new to learn with changing policies.
Pros
Free birthday book
Cons
Not enough hours
Good people.
HO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
In my particular role, there are demanding hours and high stress that demand quick decisions. With high stakes, there's high rewards...There's so many people and talent, it can be a fun workplace.
Pros
Variety of people and talent
Cons
Inconsistant leadership
fun workplace
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
management is easy to talk to, always fun at work, coworkers always able to talk and listen, the hardest part would be trying to assist a customer in a genre of books you aren't quite familiar with.
Productive and Rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
The people are nice and helpful. The store's working standards are very good.I was trained as cashier so it was a very productive experience. The job was not really hard in any way as I would say it was rather rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music. Our community is ready to answer.

Indigo Books & Music Reviews by Location