Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews in Canada

Indigo
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 26, 2016
never worked in a book warehouse before and it was a great learning experience. specially with the shipping and receiving end it was truly nice.
Pros
Good Pay Nice Co-Workers
Cons
Agency Work With No Oppertunity To Move Up Or Get Higher Pay
Periodic team building incentives
CER/Tasker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I think that in the customer service realm especially, a happy worker will be far more successful than a discouraged one. This I feel is a relatively easy goal to attain, as easy as bringing in coffee or lunch. When you have a healthy team environment, the results reflect tenfold in customer experience.

Amazing team environment= excellent job.
Indigo
Category Management, Assortment, Online & Buying (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Its was a fun and inspiring place to work. Enjoyed many of the day aspects of my day. But unfortunately, management was to focused on brainstorming for the next big thing, and the quality of work suffered.
Pros
Free Books
Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Cons
What's more fun then books!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 4, 2016
I typically worked days at the job. I love reading books, so this was an amazing job for me. I learned how to up-sell and how to explain an entire novel in 30secs. I enjoyed talking about books with customers and hearing their personal recommendations. The hardest part was at Christmas when you're balancing six customers at once, but it's all about being organized.
Pros
Working with Books
Can't say enough good things
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ONMay 4, 2016
Indigo was a well versed and well run company that was a great place to work as a seasonal associate. I greatly enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Lots of company event days
Cons
Can't think of any
Customers and books
Supervisor/ Sales Generation Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 26, 2016
I would be at the store for 7am. Then i would look over the emails and notes to see what needs to be down. There would always be notes on new displays from head office to set up before opening at 8am. after making sure all product was ready for opening, i would then deal with the paperwork from the sales of the precise day. Then set up the tills and make sure the safe is set with enough coin for the day by going to the bank after 9am. After opening There would be 2 hours where no other sales person is in the store but me and the customers. Customers always would come first over cleaning or just fixing shelves. To make sure everyone had a good time in the store was a goal of everyone working there. Since we were all book nerds it was never hard to start up a great conversation where the customer would walk out happy and with something you recommended in their hands. The job was about helping. Then after 2:30pm i would start going over what needed to be done before closing that night but just in case the customer demand was to much there was always a backup plan for any ongoing projects. Then i would do my last rounds of the store to make sure nothing had gone too wrong before a left as well as letting everyone i worked with i would see them the next day or their next shift.
Pros
30% off books
Cons
no full time
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Aggressive Target Oriented
Senior SAP/ABAP Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Very dynamic environment. Aggressive goals and target oriented management. Very competitive work place. High turnover at all levels.
Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HOMarch 27, 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 26, 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours
day to day
Store Manager for Indigo Books, I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
So much to do, keeps you busy. very few staff hours given to complete. Fall is only time where extra is given. We were already doing more with less . Now you even get micro managed and told you are not good, bulling common.
Positive and relaxed environment
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
I worked at Indigo during my first pregnancy as a seasonal associate so I was only there for a couple months. In that time I spent most of my shifts either on cash or in the children's books section. I'm usually not very good with children, so this forced me to interact with them more often than usual and taught me different communication skills than what I would normally use with adults. Cashier responsibilities included advertising the current promotion and signing up new rewards members along with the standard duties of ringing through purchases.

The most challenging part of the job was finding books customers were searching for since some books fit into multiple categories and were not always re-shelved in the correct location.

I enjoyed working at Indigo because it was a friendly and relaxed environment and the managers and other staff were energetic and fun to be around. I am also a big reader so I enjoyed the staff discounts on books and other children's items for my new baby.
Pros
close to home, flexible hours, discounts on books
Cons
long hours standing
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Tasker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2016
I love my job with the Indigo Inc. It provides a great learning experience and they care about their employees. I recommend to anyone looking for work to apply!
Customer Service and Team-Oriented work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 9, 2016
A typical day involved many aspects of multitasking including helping customers, shipping and receiving, answering telephones, cash management, and merchandizing/organizing.
Excellent customer service is a must so management presented several helps on what was expected.
Was nice working in a smaller store as the environment with co-workers was like that of a family.
I think the most challenging part of the job was dealing with difficult customer situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was providing good customer service and working in an environment that I had a passion for.
Productive and fun work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 7, 2016
Met with a manager at the beginning of every shift to go over sales targets for the day and any practises that needed to be put into place with every shift. Learned a lot about communication skills. Always provided excellent feedback on how to better myself as an employee and better employ the Indigo sales practises.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMarch 4, 2016
I enjoy the environment, I like to help people who are non - readers in finding something for them because it is a challenge and rewarding when they come back and say they enjoyed the recommendation.
fun work place
C.O.D. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2016
I love to read so I enjoyed working at indigo greatly. I was head cashier which mans I opened and closed the store, handled the money and paperwork for the store as well. I was also responsible for seting up display tables throughout the store as well.
Pros
Books, great discount
Cons
low pay and not enough hours
Full of great staff and great management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2016
In a work day I would shelve books, handle customers -not always happy customers- and work as a cashier. These experiences allowed me to increase my productivity, professionalism, as well as my abilities to work as a leader.
Great Place to Work
CER/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Working retail in the Indigo company definitely has its ups and downs.

It's fantastic working with books on a day to day basis, and when working alongside pleasant staff members, the day goes by extremely quickly and happily. And although I would see my fair share of disaggreeable, entitled, and rude customers, having regular clientele made it worth it. Another benefit is the ability to borrow hardcovers (so long as they're returned undamaged). The discount is great, and the "staff sales" have made my bookshelves explode with new books.

However, management is left to be desired. My location has had 5 different managers in 8 years, and only three of them were competent. The other two seriously needed training. The fact that the staff had to train their managers on a weekly basis definitely brought down the moral.

Regional managers aren't any better. They stop by, negatively critique your store, tells you to move everything around, then leaves again. Again, this happened frequently.

As for head office? We never heard from them. Sure, we'd receive the occasional "We're doing great!" e-mails, but that's about it. Defintiely no direction or assistance there!

The work itself is hit-and-miss. Some days, tasks roll in by the dozen, and shifts go by quickly. There are also days where there's nothing to do, and you're not allowed to talk with other employees (this might've only my store, but I'm not sure) - these shifts drag on.

The worst part of working with Indigo, I believe, is the unrealistic expectations from Head Office. They believe a task that normally takes
  more... an hour can actually be done in 20 minutes. They also think all tasks can be done in a day, while also having all staff concentrate on all the customers all the time. It's defintiely exhausting.

Thankfully, not all stores are like this. Many of them are fantastic. And I wouldn't trade the years I worked at Indigo with any other retail job. In its own way, it's a wonderful job. Just don't expect to have much guidance from management.
Pros
Discount, Great Colleagues, Fun Environment, Mostly Fantastic Customers
Cons
Management, Unappreciated Work, Overworked