Indigo Books & Music

Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Okay company
HO (Current Employee) –  HOMarch 27, 2016
This company has a lot of work cut out for them. The staff they have are great, but the company lacks overall. Staff have been screaming for more. More training, development, engagement. Year after year we are ignored. The expectations for us each year, is always more. They increase sales goals, put pressure on us, and in exchange our needs and wants are ignored.

The top executives do not care much about the little guys and it is obvious. Needs are ignored, and strong employees are constantly laid off without adequate explanation. They often complain about the "budget"... which is why lay offs and cuts happen. But yet the top executives will stay on with their huge salary and bonuses. ($300-$600k). While they lay off and consolidate departments of employees with a fraction of their salary.

Definitely not somewhere anyone should consider staying long term, unless you are in the executive team.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No development or promotions, cuts occur without explanation
Positive and relaxed environment
Seasonal Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
I worked at Indigo during my first pregnancy as a seasonal associate so I was only there for a couple months. In that time I spent most of my shifts either on cash or in the children's books section. I'm usually not very good with children, so this forced me to interact with them more often than usual and taught me different communication skills than what I would normally use with adults. Cashier responsibilities included advertising the current promotion and signing up new rewards members along with the standard duties of ringing through purchases.

The most challenging part of the job was finding books customers were searching for since some books fit into multiple categories and were not always re-shelved in the correct location.

I enjoyed working at Indigo because it was a friendly and relaxed environment and the managers and other staff were energetic and fun to be around. I am also a big reader so I enjoyed the staff discounts on books and other children's items for my new baby.
Pros
close to home, flexible hours, discounts on books
Cons
long hours standing
Great people in nice environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
I love book stores so hanging around a book store talking with and helping people is always fun. I am on my feet all day, but that's not bad; it means I am getting my exercises. The staff is super nice and approachable. Unfortunately it is a retail job so the salary is minimal. I was also hired a seasonal employ and the shifts have not been plentiful.
Overworked, unrealistic expections, low wages
task, CER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 28, 2016
The co-workers are the best part of this job because you are all there because you are avid readers and want to share your love of books with others.

The store I was at went through over 20 managers in the four years I was there! Department heads were done away with and tasking meant you did it all! Not enough staff, short shifts and high unrealistic expectations result in low staff morale. Sales staff were treated better than the taskers who do the brunt of the work.
Pros
staff discounts, great benefits package
Cons
low pay, lack of recognition, lack of support and training
Great Experience
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONSeptember 9, 2016
I spent the better part of two years working for Indigo in Sudbury, and I had very little to complain about during my time there. The manager was very accommodating, and was always great at working around my schedule. I felt like part of a team with my coworkers and valued as part of the organization as a whole. The only part of the job I didn't love was that it wasn't often busy; sure there is always something you can find to work on but my favourite part of the job was the customers, and I sometimes found myself bored when there weren't any.
Customer Service and Team-Oriented work environment
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 9, 2016
A typical day involved many aspects of multitasking including helping customers, shipping and receiving, answering telephones, cash management, and merchandizing/organizing.
Excellent customer service is a must so management presented several helps on what was expected.
Was nice working in a smaller store as the environment with co-workers was like that of a family.
I think the most challenging part of the job was dealing with difficult customer situations.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was providing good customer service and working in an environment that I had a passion for.
Fun interactive place to work
Merchandising products (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 26, 2016
A typical day at Chapters was assisting customers in finding books, and other items, restocking or fixing up displays, cashing out customers and much more. I learned how to adapt to different situations and the ability to interact with many different kinds of people. Management was relaxed, there would be meetings in the morning outlining the key points of the day, but overall it was very self regulated with check-ins here and there. The most enjoyable part of the job was developing connections with all the customers.
Pros
Interactions
Cons
Unstable Hours
Great Co-Workers, Very Kind Management... not enough work
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 4, 2015
Chapters is a great and very relaxed place to work at. Management is easy to get a long with, and everyone who works there are fantastic people. There was never any gossip as long as I worked there, so there was never any of the awkward tension that results from workplace immaturity of that sort. If you love books (like I do), it's a fantastic work culture to be working in.

However... shifts are few and far between, the bi-annual raise they say they are going to give each hired employee never materializes, and the benefits they claim to provide after a few months of working with them also never seem to appear, even when management is approached on the matter.
Pros
Great atmosphere, lots of books, great colleagues, friendly management
Cons
very few hours (by and large), declared raises never manage to materialize, nor do declared benefits.
Productive, Fun, Exciting
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work involved recommending books that work best with the customer at hand. It is exciting and fun to always connect with others over books that you both enjoy, or to help them find a book they may enjoy. I learned how to connect with others on an interpersonal level. My co-workers are great people, we work together in an effective manner. I enjoy being part of this team.
hard work, not being appreciated for effort
ACEM (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 27, 2016
work-large task list-makes day go fast
learned -to work well with large groups, the more you take on the more work given[unbalanced]
management-hard to trust some upper management, can not rely on HR
co-workers- where all great
hardest part of job-realising how under paid and unappreciated we are.
most enjoyable- regular customers , co-workers, variety of items

It is too bad the CEO does not really know what is happening in her company anymore. She use to do road shows to talk to store level staff , but she did not realize we where told what we could and could not ask her[immediate boss in room at time of questions] It was a great place to work before all the talent starting leaving at the store level and Head office.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
being bullied at work by some Headoffice/RD
Fun part time but not long time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 12, 2016
Working for Indigo isn't hard. It's fun, and the customers are usually pretty great. What isn't fun is the lack of hours, forward mobility, and benefits. Had to leave because I wasn't able to live on >20 hours a week.
Pros
fun environment, discount on merchandise, small incentives
Cons
Minimum wage, not many hours, unwilling to give more hours
Amazing work atmosphere for a retail place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 15, 2016
Chapters has a great customer base and even better employees who work well together and are super friendly at most locations. Chapters provided great customer service training online courses, group role play and a few days of shadow shifts. They really want you to feel comfortable working there. It was nice to work for the company.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
Love to work in such a nice and clean work environment.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 11, 2015
I felt proud to have worked with Indigo with caring management and nice co workers having fun at different events and doing job in interesting and challenging way. This company is giving good benefits and rewards for good work done. I have learned to do receiving with scanner and lots more at this job. My enjoyable part at this job was to work as trainer for new employees and favourite thing is to work with calculations whole day. I always miss Indigo.
Productive and Informative
Warehouse Representative, Indigo Chapters (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2016
I worked the night shift at the online DC location. I was taught how to do everything: Receiving, picking, processing, cycle count, stock movement. I enjoyed learning about what went on behind the scene of a stores website
I got along well with all my co-workers and my management team. I did not find any of the assigned task hard to do and i enjoyed going to work and being part of a team.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Cons
Great environment, lacked good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
The workplace was great, the job was fun, but the management was rude and non-understanding, They were not clear communicators and did not have the best interest of the employees at hand. The hours were okay, but they often did not take into account the hours worked the day before and would make you work a late shift and then an early morning shift the next day. they often over staffed which made shifts long.
Great staff
Sale generating manger (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 15, 2016
A typical day at work included, merchandising, handling staff and customers.
I learned to be better organized.
Management and I had different views on how to treat staff.
My coworkers were amazing.
Hardest part of the job was not being able to the job with creativity.
The staff was the best part of working here.
Pros
Great product
Periodic team building incentives
CER/Tasker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2016
I think that in the customer service realm especially, a happy worker will be far more successful than a discouraged one. This I feel is a relatively easy goal to attain, as easy as bringing in coffee or lunch. When you have a healthy team environment, the results reflect tenfold in customer experience.

Amazing team environment= excellent job.
What's more fun then books!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMay 4, 2016
I typically worked days at the job. I love reading books, so this was an amazing job for me. I learned how to up-sell and how to explain an entire novel in 30secs. I enjoyed talking about books with customers and hearing their personal recommendations. The hardest part was at Christmas when you're balancing six customers at once, but it's all about being organized.
Pros
Working with Books
Aggressive Target Oriented
Senior SAP/ABAP Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Very dynamic environment. Aggressive goals and target oriented management. Very competitive work place. High turnover at all levels.
Cheerful and Safe Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCAugust 15, 2016
Indigio is filled with the majority of your clients who are understanding and polite. The management isn't overbearing and are completely understanding.

Great place to work at.