Indigo Books & Music Employee Reviews

Friendly people and organized chaos
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON26 May 2017
Very hectic, on the whole people there are nice. A typical day on the job involves replenishing book stacks, reorganizing, cleaning, and approaching others and asking if they need help finding anything. I learned how to speak to people, not to fear approaching others. The workplace culture is all about helping out, picking up the slack, and making friends. Very friendly people there. The hardest part of the job is being placed in a section you don't typically spend a lot of time in (for me, nonfiction). The most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about these sections, and being able to find something abstract and different because you'd had to find it before for someone else (for me, it was tarot cards).
Pros
Library policy with books
Cons
More disorganized than I thought it would be
Fun place to work with great people
Cashier on Duty (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2017
Great environment to work in with openminded coworkers. Everyday at work is exciting, you get to meet new people everyday who like the same things as you.
Pros
Great conversations with book people
Cons
Compete for hours.
Cer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
• Managed the administrative aspects of the business from HR, marketing, accounts payable and receivable, marketing, procurement, and office management.
• Studied the market to identify trends and their impact on consumer demand.
• Checked daily sales reports and cash receipts.
• Managed with success the number one video store in the neighborhood with more than 2,000 customers, being recognized as an example of quality in customer service.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
minimum age paiment
Very good work environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 May 2017
I like to work with this company, because of its working style and good behavior of co-workers.
The job is near to my home and it's very easy to reach the workplace.
I work for weekends only but sometimes I used to go on weekdays too.
They pay for extra hours and provides gifts for more production.
Pros
good pay, free food sometimes
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON11 May 2017
I was only hired seasonally as a CER but I still enjoyed the few months I worked there.
Everyone was great to work with. Management were organized and very approachable.
Scheduling was alright, I could have done with more hours but there were a lot of us only working for the holidays. At least it was easy to pick up other shifts from people.
It got kinda hectic around Christmas and Boxing Day, but things ran about as smoothly as possible. I worked on cash and there was always someone more experienced there in case I had any questions.
Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely work there again
good place to work
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 May 2017
it was very good place to work . i have learned to use scanner there and order picking. management was good and very enjoyable place to work. all supervisors and coordinators.
Flexible and pleasant environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 May 2017
Very good company to work for, very flexible and provides a great retail environment to work in. They provide occasional paid meetings in broadening product knowledge and take the time to listen to the concerns of employees
Great place to be
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS29 April 2017
It's a great environment, great staff and work environment and the hours were amazing! All staff were positive and willing to help one another out there was nothing really bad to say about the work place at all.
Pros
Great staff, positive work environment and great management
productive
Packer/picking/scanning (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 April 2017
my overall experience at this place was good. All Staff members are very nice and co-operative .its a good place to work with full security and safety.
Good placeto be
Operations Team Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2017
Great place to work, good enviroment, fun people and supprotive of the community. It's great, I love the programs both for employees and for customers.
Pros
Discount, book programs
Cons
Benifits are impossible to get

Want to know more about Indigo Books & Music?

Ask a question
Great team atmosphere and culture
cer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2017
The perfect job for a cultured book lover. Must be team oriented to enjoy and succeed in postion. Great job if you don't mind a bit of physical work included .
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Lack of hours. Incensitive and bias management . Can't get ahead if management doesn't like you
A job that you can take home with you.
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 April 2017
Working at Coles was not a hard job. It had moments where there was a lot of work to be done, but overall, Coles was an excellent company that fostered reading, literacy and community. I was in charge of keeping the store tidy, closing the store (counting tills, balancing the safe), and engaging with customers. My fellow employees were realistic about heir position in a minimum wage job, but appreciative of what Indigo does for its employees and the benefits of working for the company.
By far the best part about working for Indigo is the book borrow. It is a strenuous process, but by letting employees take home books, read them carefully, and then bring them back, it expanded my ability to talk to customers who were looking for the book that I had borrowed.
Pros
book borrow, community engagement
Cons
slow days
Fun workplace
Corporate Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 April 2017
Indigo Books is a great place to work, lots of fun activities planned monthly with lots of incentives for the employees
Staff is very helpful
on site cafeteria with great food.
Pros
Extra activites throughout the year
Relaxed fun place to work , amazing staff and customers
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Love the atmosphere, can always find staff when needed, they greet you ask if you need assistance , if you do not need them they leave you alone to browse and enjoy the store .
Pros
great book prices
Cons
na
Easy job, great people
Fulufilment (Former Employee) –  Brampton Warehouse28 March 2017
It was a great work environment. Plenty of different jobs to do with opportunities for advancement. Management was easy to work with and understanding to help with any problems.
Professional Business - Customer Experience Reperesentative
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 March 2017
* Great on training skills

*100% customer service attitude

*Awesome Team members to work with

*Great Benefits

*Great incentives

* Very flexible company
Pros
great incentives
Cons
LP was a great Department to work in
Cycle Count Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 March 2017
Loss Prevention was a great department to work for under the Finance umbrella. Driven, passionate, informed and successful were all characteristics that made the team better.
lot's of work but definitely lot's of fun
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time with the indigo family. Great prices on books good incentives and competitions. The only drawback though is the lack of full time hours which is usually only available for management.
Pros
great atmosphere with plenty to do
Cons
no full time hours available to most regular staff
fun workplace
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
management is easy to talk to, always fun at work, coworkers always able to talk and listen, the hardest part would be trying to assist a customer in a genre of books you aren't quite familiar with.
Positive Workplace, Good experience
Customer Experience Representative (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2017
I worked as a seasonal Customer Experience Representative, so it was especially busy, more than the rest of the year. Typically, we are expected to promote any sales that are going on in the store, walking around the floor and asking customers if any help is needed. It is easy to locate books and other products, as a quick search in the computer should be able to tell you exactly where it is. Sometimes you might need to check the back room and grab a product for a customer. All the co-workers are friendly and bubbly, and the management is amazing and understanding. It is difficult to work in such a busy environment for so many hours, which was probably the hardest part of the job. By the end of the day I was emotionally exhausted and wanted nothing more than to lie in my bed and not talk to anyone, but someone more extroverted than me would probably not find an issue in the work environment.
Pros
Great discounts, friendly coworkers and management
Cons
High stimulus, standing for long hours, loud repetitive music

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indigo Books & Music. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval