Indigo Books & Music Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fairly soulless retailer
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Colleagues, bookstore atmosphere
Cons: bookstore atmosphere is a facade
A day consisted of greeting customers and helping them with their needs. Co-workers were great, but management gave the impression that employees are expendable. The feeling of being an insignificant and replaceable cog in a huge corporate machine was pervasive, despite being a book store. New and long-time staff alike struggled to get enough work hours.
Filled with like minded people
Tasking (Task Force) (Former Employee), Guelph, ONNovember 23, 2015
Pros: Set your own breaks, listen to headphones
Cons: Early am shifts
Loved working for Chapters.

In the early am stocking shifts I enjoyed being able to do most of my work on my own, but that there was an overall team goal of something to accomplish. You can take your break whenever you want and listen to your own headphones (as the store is not open yet). Requires early start times (either 5am shifts, or overnights)

You probably like books if you are interested in applying here, and you will find all your co-workers to be like-minded and the best people in the world to ask for book recommendations.
Seasonal CER Experience
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: employee discounts, flexible scheduling, fun co-workers
Cons: difficult customers, communication
I had the pleasure of working for Indigo for the Christmas/New Years holiday. I made a few friends, learned a few retail skills and tricks in that time. It was a welcome experience that allowed me to be on the other side of the shopping experience at one of my favourite stores. The scheduling allowed me to do what I needed to throughout the week, so I couldn't complain.

The up-sell (donations) that are required make stats go up and down, since it's really up to customers as to whether they want to give a dollar or more to their Love of Reading foundation for children.