This position is responsible for administering the IMI Quality System at the operations level, primarily on the shop floor involving steel fabrication and painting operations.
Develops, administers and participates in shop floor data collection related to Quality Measures. Compiles Quality data into usable forms (such as Pareto Charts, Control Charts, and reports) that can be used by management and shop floor teams to identify and correct the root cause of quality related issues. Helps to document and capture the Cost of Quality related errors which lead to waste (scrap and rework). Maintains close working relationships with Production Teams to enhance process consistency, capability, productivity, and profitability.
Actively participates in quarterly Management Review meetings of the Quality System progress and effectiveness.
- Aides in the implementation, management, continuous improvement and on-going maintenance of the shop floor Quality System to achieve consistent and capable steel fabrication and painting processes. The shop floor Quality System addresses but is not limited to: Process Control (through Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis, Control Plans, Work Instructions, and training), Inspection and testing, equipment calibration, preventive and corrective action, and internal/external auditing.
- Champions the Quality improvement on the shop floor through; leading by example, constant reinforcement, and providing consulting and training to shop floor personnel on the use of the QIP and problem solving principles and tools.
- Shares responsibility for the disposition of non-conforming product to ensure Customer satisfaction, while maximizing yield.
- Develops and maintains work instructions and shop aides such as total quality check sheets to help build quality into our processes, versus inspecting it in.
- Provides data and reports related to customer complaints that help identify the responsibility for errors in a manner that best serves the customer and Imperial Metals.
- Able to read blue-prints, shop drawings, and interpret customer requirements as defined by contracts and convert these requirements into product specifications, instructions on the shop floor.
- Establishes measurements and data collection procedures to monitor product conformance to requirements.
- May assist in receiving inspection / supplier certification programs to ensure that suppliers understand and meet IMI requirements.
- Assists in reviewing supplier deviation requests to determine if material can be used to meet IMI requirements.
- Helps develop, coordinate, and provide training on topics such as: Problem solving, Teamwork, Quality improvement process, Quality systems, process control, and other quality related topics.
- Maintains a working knowledge of Quality systems, Quality Assurance, and QIP philosophies, procedures, techniques, and methods.
- Helps departments gain the skills necessary to support the implementation and maintenance of quality systems.
- Associates Degree from an accredited College or university in Engineering, Quality Assurance or a technical discipline is preferred, but not required with a proven track record of performance in quality system maintenance, implementation and management.
- Must have 5 to 10 years' experience working on / with Quality Assurance teams in a manufacturing / fabrication setting.
- Steel Metallurgical Background helpful. Metal Industrial Experience with a working understanding of Steel and Stainless-Steel grades and materials is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction – Steel Fabrication Quality System guidelines, ISO 9000 Quality systems or equivalent is a plus.
- Ability to write reports, internal correspondences, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from IMI management.
- Proficient personal computer skills, including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Preferred Qualifications; experience in the steel fabrication and installation industry, knowledge of quality control methods and procedures related to plasma cutting, iron workers, cutting, drilling and welding steel, and painting processes… familiarity with or use of Lean Six Sigma and Statistical Process Control techniques to control quality.
2 Year Degree Preferred, not required with proven industrial quality experience
At least 5 year(s)
Indeed - 10 months ago
Structural Steel company located on the #12 HWY just outside of Blumenort Manitoba, Canada.