Illumina Employee Reviews

Unrealistic Sales Goals
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA13 November 2017
In my role at this company I was given an unrealistic quota that was three times greater then the previous year in the same territory. Simultaneously, the company was experiencing intense competition from Ion Torrnet. In addition all of my clinical customers we're taking away after three months and the quota remained the same. Then three months later I lost my most lucrative State due to a territory reorganization and again the quota remain unchanged. The unrealistic sales goals for this job we're a recipe for failure from day one without anybody in management seeming to care.
Senior Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA8 November 2017
I refuse to provide any information on my experience at Illumina. It was not a pleasant experience and asking to provide this information only frustrates me.
Pros
No comments
Cons
No comments
Fast-paced, cutting edge innovation, world changing, not for everybody
Finance Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA2 November 2017
No two days are alike. I start the day with a top 3 things I'd like to get done for the day, and if 5pm comes and I've been able to get to one of those things, it's been a good day. The second will likely need to get done that evening, and the third may no longer be that urgent after all.

Teamwork and collaboration are high in this flat organization, and there are no shortage of great ideas at Illumina. The future looks bright for the industry, and it's easy to see that genomics is really just in it's infancy.

If you thrive on fast-paced culture, teamwork, learning, and doing great work, then you'll love Illumina. If structure and definition, consistency, and work life balance are the three things you value most, however, this may not be the place for you.
Pros
Culture, teamwork, mission, growth, flat, innovative, fun
Cons
Time to do quality work, work/life balance
Best job I've ever had
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA23 October 2017
The caliber of people you get to work with makes it exciting. You need to be at the top of your game. If you have that personal discipline, and are talented, you can thrive.
Pros
The people and the problems
Cons
Overhead of being a big company
Great technology but poor Management
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 October 2017
Lots of really smart people.but poor management. I was more or less pigeon-holed even though I had a PhD. I found myself being extremely under-utilized. There is very little room for advancement and way too many meetings.My boss is really nice but extremely inefficient and a poor project leader. In my department my boss plays favorites and only gives opportunities to 1-2 people. No matter how many hours you work and what technical knowledge you have you get nothing if you are not the favored employee. I put in long hours and worked really hard and the feedback I received was that I was too slow. The motto: "Just meet the deadlines and we'll fix it later." it is very competitive and if you are a person who tends to be more quiet in meetings, you will be ignored. I am glad I had a chance to learn the technology but I doubt I will stay long-term.
Pros
Great people and products
Cons
Managment is very lacking, things always have to be re-done, hard to advance
Fast paced learning environment.
Senior SQL Server DBA (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA9 October 2017
Illumina is a great place to learn new technology as the pace of change is very rapid. The hardest part of working there is most projects do not come with requirements and you have may an hour or two to reverse engineer them for yourself.
Pros
Lunch time yoga & pilates
Cons
Lack of project planning
Great Campus, but poor work/life balance
Senior IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA8 October 2017
Due to the "collaborative" culture, it is necessary to have at least one meeting or multiple meetings to discuss anything. Means you're in loads of meetings. Of course, since everything also has to be discussed, you also get a lot of emails. I'm a contractor, but had to work overtime every night to respond to emails/do my work at home because I didn't get time during the day. OT wasn't approved, I just had to do the work to keep up. This was VERY common from everyone I spoke to.

Not looking to stay/go permanent with Illumina
Pros
nice campus
Cons
too much work, poor work/life balance is a pervasive issue
Manufacturing is Tough
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA5 October 2017
As a temp I didn't receiving PTO or any benefits, but that's expected. What wasn't expected was the department I worked in not being able to take company holidays or Christmas break off with the rest of the company. Some of the manufacturing labs are chronically understaffed and they don't get to enjoy the same benefits enjoyed by the rest of employees.
Pros
Cool culture, good food in cafeteria
Cons
Understaffed
It's a very competitive work environment
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA12 September 2017
Illumina is a great place to work with. They gave me opportunities to learn things.Its a fast and busy environment but putting Safety and Quality first. It's very competitive environment that career advancement is hard to achieve. Because of it's big population, crab mentality, gossiping is not avoided sometimes.
I was able to execute my job well because of the proper training I went through, only sometimes its overwhelming.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Career advancement is tough
quick paced on your feet
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA6 September 2017
this is a very fast pace standing on your feet job. Work environment is stressful if you let people get to you. it is a good resume builder job. i really didnt see any room for advancement.
Great Team
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA6 September 2017
I worked with a number of smart people on interesting problems. Overall it was a great experience, although I was disappointed when I found out that there were no full-time positions available even though I was told my team was hiring during the interview process.
Vvery clean workplace
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA23 August 2017
The place is very productive and fun workplace to work we only work 8hrs shift but it's really fast paste, the people are very friendly and the management doesn't play favoritism.
Exciting Chaos
Planner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA10 August 2017
Experiencing growing pains that are standard for any company of the size. Not enough staff to handle work load. Middle management often doesn't work effectively with other groups. Wonderful campus. Good opportunities for growth. Fun corporate culture.
Poor Management
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA8 August 2017
Management are sucks! Don't give advancement to the employee. They rather hire outside people than inside who already have experienced. Hiring high people that they don't even needed. Hiring too many people not doing anything just to walk around, sit down and don't know what they are doing. The higher management does not see this. Waste so much money instead of just giving giving the funds to department.
Great Challenging Place to Work
System Support Engineer Lead Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CA5 August 2017
Move fast and embrace change is Illumina's motto. That is true but it is a stimulating and fun place to work. HQ in San Diego is an amazing campus with a large population of around 3000. Hayward is smaller and cozy, with around 300 people.
Fast-paced company doing cutting-edge R&D
Engineer Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA3 August 2017
The company is doing amazing things, revolutionizing healthcare and medical care as we know it. The company prides itself on being open and embracing change, however, with that comes a lot of shortcuts and political games to gain leverage and grow alliances.

It is extremely fast-paced, so it comes to no surprise that emails are being sent off well into the morning. Some employees seem to never actually sleep... But with that comes also rewards. Company-wide happy hour almost every quarter, with free beer and snacks.
Fun Place
Manufacturing Technician 4 (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CA19 July 2017
Its very relaxed place to work. Fun lunch and managers are fun as well. There is a lot of room for improvement. Enjoyful situations and meetings are fun
The worst experience of my life
SQA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA24 June 2017
Unexperienced and disrespectful manager creating stressful and unfair work environment. Favoritism and unfairnesses. Whole group stuffed with contractors competing for extension. Contractors overseen by other contactors and lack of manager involvement who only wants to interact with contractors she chooses. I have not seen anything like it anywhere else. I have worked with different functional groups at Illumina and they seemed to have much better experience in different departments.
Pros
great campus
Cons
poorly managed
this is a good company perfect job perfect job perfect job
Manufacturing Technician I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 June 2017
The Sanitation Technician function is responsible for performing the cleaning and sanitization of manufacturing process equipment to facilitate GMP compliance, quality, and schedule attainment. Work is of a technical nature where decisions are made within limits and guidelines of general practices and procedures but where some supervision is available to handle unusual situations.
Pros
super cool
Cons
no cons
Illumina is great
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NC20 June 2017
I worked on the DNA sequencing machines and honestly had a blast traveling around to upgrade/fix/train the staff on how to properly utilize the machine. My coworkers were really fun and the business model seems to be perfect towards the research industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.