Illumina Employee Reviews

It's a very competitive work environment
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA12 September 2017
Illumina is a great place to work with. They gave me opportunities to learn things.Its a fast and busy environment but putting Safety and Quality first. It's very competitive environment that career advancement is hard to achieve. Because of it's big population, crab mentality, gossiping is not avoided sometimes.
I was able to execute my job well because of the proper training I went through, only sometimes its overwhelming.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Career advancement is tough
quick paced on your feet
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA6 September 2017
this is a very fast pace standing on your feet job. Work environment is stressful if you let people get to you. it is a good resume builder job. i really didnt see any room for advancement.
Great Team
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA6 September 2017
I worked with a number of smart people on interesting problems. Overall it was a great experience, although I was disappointed when I found out that there were no full-time positions available even though I was told my team was hiring during the interview process.
Vvery clean workplace
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA23 August 2017
The place is very productive and fun workplace to work we only work 8hrs shift but it's really fast paste, the people are very friendly and the management doesn't play favoritism.
Exciting Chaos
Planner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA10 August 2017
Experiencing growing pains that are standard for any company of the size. Not enough staff to handle work load. Middle management often doesn't work effectively with other groups. Wonderful campus. Good opportunities for growth. Fun corporate culture.
Poor Management
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA8 August 2017
Management are sucks! Don't give advancement to the employee. They rather hire outside people than inside who already have experienced. Hiring high people that they don't even needed. Hiring too many people not doing anything just to walk around, sit down and don't know what they are doing. The higher management does not see this. Waste so much money instead of just giving giving the funds to department.
Great Challenging Place to Work
System Support Engineer Lead Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CA5 August 2017
Move fast and embrace change is Illumina's motto. That is true but it is a stimulating and fun place to work. HQ in San Diego is an amazing campus with a large population of around 3000. Hayward is smaller and cozy, with around 300 people.
Fast-paced company doing cutting-edge R&D
Engineer Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA3 August 2017
The company is doing amazing things, revolutionizing healthcare and medical care as we know it. The company prides itself on being open and embracing change, however, with that comes a lot of shortcuts and political games to gain leverage and grow alliances.

It is extremely fast-paced, so it comes to no surprise that emails are being sent off well into the morning. Some employees seem to never actually sleep... But with that comes also rewards. Company-wide happy hour almost every quarter, with free beer and snacks.
Fun Place
Manufacturing Technician 4 (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CA19 July 2017
Its very relaxed place to work. Fun lunch and managers are fun as well. There is a lot of room for improvement. Enjoyful situations and meetings are fun
The worst experience of my life
SQA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA24 June 2017
Unexperienced and disrespectful manager creating stressful and unfair work environment. Favoritism and unfairnesses. Whole group stuffed with contractors competing for extension. Contractors overseen by other contactors and lack of manager involvement who only wants to interact with contractors she chooses. I have not seen anything like it anywhere else. I have worked with different functional groups at Illumina and they seemed to have much better experience in different departments.
Pros
great campus
Cons
poorly managed
this is a good company perfect job perfect job perfect job
Manufacturing Technician I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 June 2017
The Sanitation Technician function is responsible for performing the cleaning and sanitization of manufacturing process equipment to facilitate GMP compliance, quality, and schedule attainment. Work is of a technical nature where decisions are made within limits and guidelines of general practices and procedures but where some supervision is available to handle unusual situations.
Pros
super cool
Cons
no cons
Illumina is great
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NC20 June 2017
I worked on the DNA sequencing machines and honestly had a blast traveling around to upgrade/fix/train the staff on how to properly utilize the machine. My coworkers were really fun and the business model seems to be perfect towards the research industry.
Excellent company doing amazing things
Finance Rotational Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 June 2017
Kind, intelligent colleagues who are eager to help you learn about the company and ensure you have all the tools you need so that you can contribute to the achievement of this company's excellent mission.
Pros
San Deigo, meaningful work
Fun working environment
Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  woodlands4 June 2017
Good place overall to work in but not much progression for non-executives. The company draws a fine line between executives and non-executives, a huge line i must say.
Ambiente lavorativo stressante
operaio generico (Former Employee) –  Caserta, Campania2 June 2017
Il lavoro si basava sulla costruzione e montaggio di scenografie per la rai la lavorazione era di piu materiale coms plastica,ferro e legno ho maturato buona esperienza in tutti e tre i settori ma il mio ruolo principale era il montaggio di scene quindi nn esisteva orario quando dovevamo consegnare nn si accettavano scuse . Un lavoro molto dinamico ottime capacita di relazionarmi con le persone
Pros
Buona paga
Cons
Troppo stressante
Not my best experience
Chemical Compliance Specialist - Global Health (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 May 2017
Like any other company, there are good and not so great departments. Unfortunately my experience was in a not so great team. Working 70+ hr weeks, no promotions or even talks of. To be fair, other teams in the company were really happy, some others were not, it was really a hit or miss.
Pros
Lots of free food and some parties.
Cons
No work life balance. Somewhat disparaging management.
Beautiful campus
Manufacturing Associate II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA10 May 2017
Great campus. There are a lot of amenities offered at Illumina like full gym, yoga, coffee bars, cafe, and many more activities to keep the employees feeling well accommodated.
Great Work Environment
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Diego1 May 2017
Great work environment, maybe not for a young scientist but would love to come back and work for them when I'm older as I feel that it would be difficult or time consuming to move upwards without first leaving to go get more experience somewhere else
Great Company-unless you're a contractor
Mindlance Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA27 April 2017
Have been here 9 months and although there is a ton of work and everybody agrees I'm the candidate to perform the work, management can't seem to authorize requisition for extension or conversion. 10 week extension just occurred. Okay so they pulled it off, but 10 weeks? C'mon.

Otherwise the product is cutting edge, the engineers and scientists are top notch, and the company treats their employees fairly and provide well.
Pros
Excellent facility, technology, benefits
Cons
Contractors excluded from benefits and activities.
Cut throat!
Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA20 April 2017
Pure competition. Never happy with any results! No supervisors were satisfied with anything I ever did. I could not please my boss with mountains of excellent data. It was never enough!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval