Illumina Employee Reviews

Productive place with lots of activities for employees
Manufacturing Process Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA4 October 2016
Go to work and try to knock out whatever work load schedueled for the day. Learned a lot about the different in-house automated filling systems and how to operate them. Lack of communication between management and lower level workers leading to some confusion at times causing problems in production numbers in the manufacturing department. Co-workers are great and treat others like family. Hardest part of the job part of the job was getting the job accomplishied at times without proper or thorough training and having to learn off of old work instructions that needed to be redlined leading wokers to have to learn new thing on their own getting dinged for errors in the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was completeing it.
Pros
Having a stable job.
Cons
Inexperienced workers getting opportunities due to favoritisim.
Great company
Manufacturing Process Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 April 2016
Great company with good benefits. Growing biotech industry, there's always something new to learn about. People are great, the head quarters offers amenities for the workers.
Pros
Family oriented events
Still under review
Sr. Engineer (Current Employee) –  California11 December 2015
The company is well funded. The company's success is due to it's large flagship sequencing instruments. Employee benefits could be better. Original founders have moved on to new competing ventures. Many failed and delayed projects, do no contract-to-hire. Summer socials with free food and drinks. Very smart bio- scientists and engineers, but lack collaborative direction; stale. Great global presence, with beautiful campuses. Engineering culture is transforming to rigid corporate style. First loses started posting.
Pros
Employee stock; Recreation facilities; Summer and winter paid breaks
Cons
Benefits; Relatively new field, experimental/unstable projects
Great Place To Work - Changing the World
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA23 June 2016
Illumina is truly changing the world with revolutionary genome sequencing technology.

Illumina has a great culture, and you will work with extremely intelligent professionals.

Illumina pay is below average for the Bay Area.

Illumina's executive management does a poor job at communicating key decisions and does a poor job at supporting operational level employees through transitions.
Pros
Free Lunch Every 2 Weeks
Cons
Poor Communication from Executive Management on Key Decisions
Contracted employees needed by not welcomed
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA3 October 2016
I have never worked for a company where they treat their contracted employees like complete trash. You are not a valuable asset to the organization just a work horse. If you are fortunate to work for the Accounts Receivable department be sure to be ready to keep your lips glued to your bosses behind. If i would have know that my supervisor was not going to be the person that hired me i would have totally walked away. Not enough space to go into detail how unprofesional, rude and how much of a bigot the a/r manager is.
Pros
If you drink you can get drunk here
Cons
they treat contracted employees like trash
Next Generation Prison
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA5 August 2016
Illumina is by far the worst company I have ever worked at. From the terrible management that chooses favorites based on looks to the unnecessarily competitive coworkers who hate when you excel. I will never recommend anybody sane to work here as only sociopaths would excel in this environment.
Pros
Some friendly people
Cons
Always being watched
Tense and negative work environment.
Staff Buyer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CA6 June 2016
Awful experience sociopath manager drove me out of the company. He was driven to eliminate my position because he wanted to build his own culture of fear and unreasonable expectations. At first it was a good organization until two really bad managers were hired to improve morale. My manager had no business leading personnel; never motivated or encouraged only scowled and had his chosen few; the remainder of use were relegated to pretend that culture didn't exist. I do believe in their technology and the coworkers were wonderful. I suppose at some point in time Illumina was a great place to work.
Pros
free lunch every second Wensday.
Cons
Awful managers and hayward culture
Excellent Work environment and drastic growth in my career
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA27 January 2016
Excellent team and support in all aspects and improved my technical skills here.Its very good company to learn new things and salary wise also
Fun Workplace, culture is great, the career advancement could be better
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA18 November 2016
It's a great work place if you have a career there. If you are a Research Associate it will be difficult at this stage to move up. You will need a PhD.
Unprofessional unethical enviroment
Validation Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 September 2016
A significant distinction between full time and contractors. Not to mention unrealistic deadlines, budgets, and goals.
Cross team communication and internal procedures are ridiculous and inefficient.
Good place to start - Admin
SALES ASSISTANT/RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Epping, Western Cape26 July 2016
It is generally a very relaxed environment for any junior position, the company is one big happy family. in every company you have your ups and downs and with every job you have your good points and bad points.
Pros
going home at 4pm
Cons
long days
Nice
Workday Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA15 June 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
A great place to work
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CA5 August 2016
A fast-paced company where there are always more projects to be done. Friendly environment and people. It was nice to work very closely with manufacturing technicians to solve problems.
Pros
Free lunch biweekly
Manufacturing Process Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 June 2016
Management is not great no more because everything is just a mess, we would get different manager every six months or so because they cannot handle our department.
Good place to work.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CA22 July 2016
I love that they provide company outings once in a while. They provide lunch sometimes. Hours worked are flexible. They could improve their HR department as well as employee training program.
able to communicate and sharing some joke during work time
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Singapore8 April 2016
- everyone there willing to teach new staff.
- just repeating the same action for whole day
- sometimes supervisors will score me badly when I made a mistake. But it is still fine.
- manager and supervisor are willing provide a chance to new staff to learn something new.
- Illumina very concern each and every staff's health.
Pros
provide free gym to every staff
Cons
long time
Laboratory clean room
maufacturing technician 2 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA29 May 2016
Performed all aspects on medical assembly dna slides performing final products qc and packaging process slides barcode scanning and labeling for inventory and cold room storage
never seen before for some thing happen
Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) –  Hayward,CA19 September 2015
The management in Hayward facility is very poor and too much politics therefore some employee are left without reason .
I had a lot experiences in FDA company before I worked there, but some reason they fired me and hired someone who is closed to them.The management in SD head quarter does not know a lot and find out deep over here.
so far , I found good job from the other company who like my experiences to help and bring the company going in the future .
Pros
no comment
Cons
na
FSE @ Illumina
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA21 July 2012
Coming straight out of college, I took this position a little for granted. Pay was great (for no experience and a degree). Culture (for the first 2-3 years) was incredible. Company started to mature and tighten down in every dept for everything you could imagine. Still a great company and good people, but just not what it used to be. Will be keeping a close eye on it's competition.. Pacific Biosciences!
Pros
culture, benefits, responsibility & challenges
Cons
n/a
Worst experience of my life.
Engineering (Former Employee) –  San Diego20 December 2013
This company despite the great stock price has the most horrible management structure I have encountered in my 30 year career.

Favoritism & politics rule the day and night and career growth is impossible unless connected in the right circles of insiders.

All the perks and the new buildings cannot even come close to being treated like trash every day, I did have a few great co-workers but most don’t stay long because of the toxic leadership.

I cannot recommend anyone working their because it will affect health and well being, they have no work life balance; they make demands for all your time and then disrespect you.

I have tendered my two week notice and have a better job/company waiting, Thank God.
Pros
Stock price
Cons
toxic leadership

2.8