Illumina

Illumina Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Still under review
Sr. Engineer (Current Employee), CaliforniaDecember 11, 2015
Pros: Employee stock; Recreation facilities; Summer and winter paid breaks
Cons: Benefits; Relatively new field, experimental/unstable projects
The company is well funded. The company's success is due to it's large flagship sequencing instruments. Employee benefits could be better. Original founders have moved on to new competing ventures. Many failed and delayed projects, do no contract-to-hire. Summer socials with free food and drinks. Very smart bio- scientists and engineers, but lack collaborative direction; stale. Great global presence, with beautiful campuses. Engineering culture is transforming to rigid corporate style. First loses started posting.
Cowboy culture
staff engineer (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 4, 2015
Pros: RSUs
Cons: lack of leadership
Many smart people, maybe too many to get work done. Everyone wants to lead which leaves too few people actually doing the work.
Smart overworked and fun employess
Senior Scientist (Former Employee), San Diego,CAOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Smart people to work with
Cons: Poor compliance on policy.
HR people are incompetent in their position. There is no proper policy that protects that true value objective of the company. Managers and seniors are not properly informed and briefed of company policy logistics.

Staff are overworked with no recognition.

Glad I was part of their first 5years of growth.

Good group of smart and fun people to work with.
never seen before for some thing happen
Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee), Hayward,CASeptember 19, 2015
Pros: no comment
Cons: na
The management in Hayward facility is very poor and too much politics therefore some employee are left without reason .
I had a lot experiences in FDA company before I worked there, but some reason they fired me and hired someone who is closed to them.The management in SD head quarter does not know a lot and find out deep over here.
so far , I found good job from the other company who like my experiences to help and bring the company going in the future .
Change is the only certainty
Technical Applications Scientist (Former Employee), Cambridge, ENGSeptember 18, 2015
Pros: Mostly open to innovation and improvement.
Cons: Customer tech support management is a chaotic joke...
Good company where things change fast. Sometimes too fast for people and reality to keep pace because change is always challenging and sometimes fearful. Technically minded people will enjoy it but management leaves much to desire...
Great
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Excellent
Cons: Excellent
An amazing Company to work for I was there seven year, it would be nice to go back, work for illumine. Excellent company, Love the people that worked with, I truly miss the people I worked with...
Always something different to do
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee), Hayward, CAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: friend co-workers
Cons: management communication, recognition
Perform operations on sequencing units
Familiar with most troubleshooting of encountered issues
Group dynamic makes work enjoyable
Awsome place to work
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN III (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Innovation, Research oriented, Nice Cafeteria, gym, Activities for employees, lots of free food
Cons: Incredible fast pace, work overloads.
Great company to work for, A collective innovative spirit. They take good care of their employees with lots of growth opportunities and opportunities to travel inside and outside of USA. Flex time and research oriented.
I like work enviroment
FINAL INSTRUMENT TEST ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Hayward, CAJuly 22, 2015
Pros: adapt enviroment and leanr quick
working at Illumina, I gained knowledge of DNA sequencing and experience with verifying Miseq instrument performance
Productive and fun workplace
Contractor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 4, 2015
Pros: It's a beautiful campus
Cons: Due to energy shortages it's a little warm.
It's a fast pace job, the company grows weekly. It's exciting and rewarding. People are very knowledgeable and polite.
Great place to work and the things they are doing with genetics is going to be life changing
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIDecember 2, 2014
Pros: fantastic place to work, leading edge of technology
Cons: work out of home so if relocating this makes it tough to meet people.
I would recommend this job to anyone. You work out of home and the needs of the customer always come first. That may sound like a lot but it keeps you busy Monday- Friday and the occasional weekend which was very rare. you always had a few or half office days during the month to get all your paperwork done. I haven't been there since 2010 but I do keep in touch with some of my ex coworkers and they still seem happy. If you want to be on the edge of technology and changing to world this company is like the apple of healthcare electronics so I would keep an eye on them.
Very serious work
Scientist 2 (Current Employee), CambridgeSeptember 27, 2014
I have learned
* Synthesis of Oligonucleotide
*Purification by Biotage and Prep-HPLC
*Identification by NMR, LC-MS, analytic HPLC and UV
*Evaluation of Oligonucleotide for DNA sequencing
A great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2014
A great company to work for. This is crazy. I enjoyed working there. I just want to apply for this job but I'm forced to do all this too?
average company
Sr. Tech. Optical and Laser (Former Employee), Hayward, CAMarch 7, 2014
not many higher position created for employee who work for many years
Difficult to find job growth
Curation Scientist Intern (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CADecember 30, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no benefits
Company avoids providing job security and benefits by hiring contractors. Does not put effort into employee career development
Worst experience of my life.
Engineering (Former Employee), San DiegoDecember 20, 2013
Pros: stock price
Cons: toxic leadership
This company despite the great stock price has the most horrible management structure I have encountered in my 30 year career.

Favoritism & politics rule the day and night and career growth is impossible unless connected in the right circles of insiders.

All the perks and the new buildings cannot even come close to being treated like trash every day, I did have a few great co-workers but most don’t stay long because of the toxic leadership.

I cannot recommend anyone working their because it will affect health and well being, they have no work life balance; they make demands for all your time and then disrespect you.

I have tendered my two week notice and have a better job/company waiting, Thank God.
Fun place to work.
Intern (Current Employee), CaliforniaJuly 28, 2013
As an intern I got to learn a lot. The structure is very flat, where everyone treats everyone with respect. My manager helped me fit into the role with an easy transition.
very nice cleanroom, quiet and people are friendly.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: potluck and surprises
I've worked here for 5 years, I tell myself to retire on this company when I get older because this is the best company to work my entire life. So sad I got laid off, and I am still hoping to work here and keep on applying on a job opening. Hope I'll be lucky to get hired again. 'missed the people and a good benefits and management.
Terrible Management Finance . starting from HR
Cost (Former Employee), san diegoJuly 3, 2013
Pros: coffee ok
Cons: short breaks.
This is the worse experience that an employee can have working for such a big company with no infrastructure. Low motivation from Management to advance in projects they wrap up the month end close with long overtime hours and yet they do not recognize you for your efforts.Lack of organization bad Management.
Intellectually stimulating, in a pleasant environment
Scientist 1 - Chemistry Development (Current Employee), Chesterford, EssexJune 10, 2013
Good collection of hard-working, intelligent people, who are easy to get on with.
Links