Illumina Employee Reviews

Still under review
Sr. Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 11, 2015
The company is well funded. The company's success is due to it's large flagship sequencing instruments. Employee benefits could be better. Original founders have moved on to new competing ventures. Many failed and delayed projects, do no contract-to-hire. Summer socials with free food and drinks. Very smart bio- scientists and engineers, but lack collaborative direction; stale. Great global presence, with beautiful campuses. Engineering culture is transforming to rigid corporate style. First loses started posting.
Pros
Employee stock; Recreation facilities; Summer and winter paid breaks
Cons
Benefits; Relatively new field, experimental/unstable projects
Excellent Work environment and drastic growth in my career
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Excellent team and support in all aspects and improved my technical skills here.Its very good company to learn new things and salary wise also
Tense and negative work environment.
Staff Buyer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 6, 2016
Awful experience sociopath manager drove me out of the company. He was driven to eliminate my position because he wanted to build his own culture of fear and unreasonable expectations. At first it was a good organization until two really bad managers were hired to improve morale. My manager had no business leading personnel; never motivated or encouraged only scowled and had his chosen few; the remainder of use were relegated to pretend that culture didn't exist. I do believe in their technology and the coworkers were wonderful. I suppose at some point in time Illumina was a great place to work.
Pros
free lunch every second Wensday.
Cons
Awful managers and hayward culture
Great Place To Work - Changing the World
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 23, 2016
Illumina is truly changing the world with revolutionary genome sequencing technology.

Illumina has a great culture, and you will work with extremely intelligent professionals.

Illumina pay is below average for the Bay Area.

Illumina's executive management does a poor job at communicating key decisions and does a poor job at supporting operational level employees through transitions.
Pros
Free Lunch Every 2 Weeks
Cons
Poor Communication from Executive Management on Key Decisions
never seen before for some thing happen
Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) –  Hayward,CASeptember 19, 2015
The management in Hayward facility is very poor and too much politics therefore some employee are left without reason .
I had a lot experiences in FDA company before I worked there, but some reason they fired me and hired someone who is closed to them.The management in SD head quarter does not know a lot and find out deep over here.
so far , I found good job from the other company who like my experiences to help and bring the company going in the future .
Pros
no comment
Cons
na
able to communicate and sharing some joke during work time
Assembler (Former Employee) –  SingaporeApril 8, 2016
- everyone there willing to teach new staff.
- just repeating the same action for whole day
- sometimes supervisors will score me badly when I made a mistake. But it is still fine.
- manager and supervisor are willing provide a chance to new staff to learn something new.
- Illumina very concern each and every staff's health.
Pros
provide free gym to every staff
Cons
long time
Illumina Inc.
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2016
Great fast paced hire pressure work environment with opportunities for cross training and career enhancement. Good opportunities for overtime on a weekly basis.
Nice
Workday Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
Stressful Environment
Sr. Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2016
Unreasonable deadlines,
Unbalanced work/ family life,
Lots of Ineffective and inefficient systems.

Lots of hard working, smart and caring individuals who want to make a difference.

Products are high tech and highly desired for current direction in Medicine.
Laboratory clean room
maufacturing technician 2 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2016
Performed all aspects on medical assembly dna slides performing final products qc and packaging process slides barcode scanning and labeling for inventory and cold room storage
Great company
Manufacturing Process Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2016
Great company with good benefits. Growing biotech industry, there's always something new to learn about. People are great, the head quarters offers amenities for the workers.
Pros
Family oriented events
Excellent company to get good knowledge
Sr Consultant(Technical Lead) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2016
Excellent company to get good knowledge at manufacturing domain. Latest technologies use to upgrade the systems. Good work environment to learn new technical methods
Global Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 10, 2016
I really enjoy working for a great company such as Illumina, in Hayward, CA. Everybody is helpful, the products speak for themselves.
Change is the only certainty
Technical Applications Scientist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ENGSeptember 18, 2015
Good company where things change fast. Sometimes too fast for people and reality to keep pace because change is always challenging and sometimes fearful. Technically minded people will enjoy it but management leaves much to desire...
Pros
Mostly open to innovation and improvement.
Cons
Customer tech support management is a chaotic joke...
Smart overworked and fun employess
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego,CAOctober 14, 2015
HR people are incompetent in their position. There is no proper policy that protects that true value objective of the company. Managers and seniors are not properly informed and briefed of company policy logistics.

Staff are overworked with no recognition.

Glad I was part of their first 5years of growth.

Good group of smart and fun people to work with.
Pros
Smart people to work with
Cons
Poor compliance on policy.
FSE @ Illumina
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2012
Coming straight out of college, I took this position a little for granted. Pay was great (for no experience and a degree). Culture (for the first 2-3 years) was incredible. Company started to mature and tighten down in every dept for everything you could imagine. Still a great company and good people, but just not what it used to be. Will be keeping a close eye on it's competition.. Pacific Biosciences!
Pros
culture, benefits, responsibility & challenges
Cons
n/a
Worst experience of my life.
Engineering (Former Employee) –  San DiegoDecember 20, 2013
This company despite the great stock price has the most horrible management structure I have encountered in my 30 year career.

Favoritism & politics rule the day and night and career growth is impossible unless connected in the right circles of insiders.

All the perks and the new buildings cannot even come close to being treated like trash every day, I did have a few great co-workers but most don’t stay long because of the toxic leadership.

I cannot recommend anyone working their because it will affect health and well being, they have no work life balance; they make demands for all your time and then disrespect you.

I have tendered my two week notice and have a better job/company waiting, Thank God.
Pros
stock price
Cons
toxic leadership
Cowboy culture
staff engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2015
Many smart people, maybe too many to get work done. Everyone wants to lead which leaves too few people actually doing the work.
Pros
RSUs
Cons
lack of leadership
very nice cleanroom, quiet and people are friendly.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 24, 2013
I've worked here for 5 years, I tell myself to retire on this company when I get older because this is the best company to work my entire life. So sad I got laid off, and I am still hoping to work here and keep on applying on a job opening. Hope I'll be lucky to get hired again. 'missed the people and a good benefits and management.
Pros
potluck and surprises
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaNovember 27, 2012
Management is all about tooting their own horns and provides no leadership or recognition for high performing employees. There is no work life balance and growth opportunity is slim.
Pros
competitive compensation
Cons
no work life balance and poor leadership