IKO Industries Ltd. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced environment and labour intensive at times
Sr. Operator/Lead-hand (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 26, 2014
A typical day consists of the production of a quality product by the time it reaches the packaging end.
To address and fix any issues that may arise or cause interruptions in the manufacturing of asphalt shingles
Management needs to be better attuned to the operators issues and concerns
I learned how asphalt shingles are produced, various jobs involved in the process, how to communicate with co-workers in a productive manner, troubleshoot problems in my work areas,
The hardest part would be having to deal with management when the line is not running and the politics
The most enjoyable would be the interaction between your fellow employees after having a good run for the shift
Fun work environment
Order Desk & Receptionist (Former Employee), Hawkesbury, ONMay 26, 2015
Pros: great work experience
Cons: not anything strong enough to class as a con
I took orders for shingles and roofing supplies from home improvement stores over the phone. I sorted the order sheets and made sure the truck drivers received the proper paperwork and I replaced the receptionist for all breaks.
I learned that there are many different types and colours of shingles ;) The management was very hand off but supportive.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the truck drivers who had been on the road for some time. Sticking a balance between being polite but still standing up for myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that my co-workers were fun to work with.
Good place, decent wage for the work.
utility worker (Former Employee), AshcroftMay 19, 2015
Pros: good bang for the buck
Cons: needed more incentives
I spent some time as a day crew worker and advanced into the production crew. There were days that were hard and days that were not. Managers were good, some not so good but overall the usual bunch of people. The place sometimes suffered from politics but what place doesn't. I enjoyed my time there but moved out of province for other work.
One comment I have to add is about another comment previously posted on this site from an obvious very disgruntled worker pretending to be a day crew worker. The production superintendent wasn't a bad guy and kept the place together and was fair to all of us. The manager wasn't a bad guy either except needed t see more of the plant.
Not a good place
Former (Former Employee), contractorDecember 9, 2013
Pros: it payed the bills.
Cons: getting blind sided by managment
1.Mgt is like a sinking ship with the exception that the crew goes down with the ship, and the captain takes the lifeboat.
2.When a supervisor finds out that he's about to be roasted, he'll drag down as many employees as he can to avoid being the main course.
3.The managment turnover rate is so high to the point of anyone working there 10+ years or more in managment, has played crews\co-workers against each other while trying to BBQ them at the same time just to keep there job in a high rumour generated working enviroment.
Too many politics
Industrial Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee), Madoc, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: great wages and benefits
Cons: management does not work well with others
Too many politics involving management and the union, they loose sight of what is important. There are a lot of good guys that work there unfortunately small town clicks can make it difficult for some to fit in. The maintenance department is by far the best spot to work. I was also a production worker for 5 yrs to many bosses no one can make up their minds about what they want you to do. Management asks your opinion then does the complete opposite.
it's ok, nice people to work with
Luckily employed (Current Employee), BramptonFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: high pressure, work life balance, no job growth, high turnover
no structure, no hope to get promoted, vacation sucks, benefits are ok but not great..

Rrsp plan is good

this company has long way to go, and start recognizing that employees have family too..

workplace is very tiring, dirt and fumes makes you tired in 8 hr shift then any other plant

Overall you are not going to regret if you didn't get hired or have multiple job offers ..
Run away as fast as you can
Day crew worker (Former Employee), AshcroftJune 12, 2013
Worst place ever. Management is divided. Safety is second or third. Plant manager can't even decide what toilet paper to buy without head office. Poisoned environment caused by a group of welders and the production superintendent. Only apply for this job if you want to go back to a 1970's harassing culture. Most electrical supervisors are run out within months to a year.
A very high pressure job
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: self directed rrsp to which the company matches your donation
Cons: manulife is very difficult to work with if you get ill.
My only comment is that there have been far too many manager turnovers and staff turnovers at this company. 4 managers in on year, each with a different plan leading to a lot of stress and confusion.
good money . most people good at job
Millwright (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: good money . benefits
Cons: long hours, shift work
very busy work production plant/ good money lots of overtime if wanted, some workers skills not that good but able to complete most jobs giving to then, shift work hardest part of job as age goes up harder to do , management culture changing for better still expect lots time of work not that much for millwrights
Old school company that wants to be corporate, along way to go!!!
staff (Former Employee), calgary, albertaApril 24, 2013
Pros: good facility
Cons: poor safety and work conditions
Good facility, new machinary etc.

Company is very business orientated and forgets about looking after their employees. Union workplace with very poor comunication between company and union in what is required to make the place a good safe workplace.

Safety is talked about often but very rarely practiced.
Teammates fun and good to work with
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: great all year around work dispite the weather
Cons: there wasn't much wrong with the job.
this was a fun and hard working environment to go to .we all worked hard and sometimes played hard too. The company was good to work for and only expected you to do your job and do it well
Good people, lots of fun to work there,
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), City of BramptonNovember 4, 2014
Pros: good people, friendly staff, everyone has a positive attitude
Cons: sometimes we have too much of a good time we forget we are at work
One of the most fun filled jobs, interesting people, an experience I will truly never forget
Good place to work.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2013
Keep plant running and learning more about newer technologies. People are great but Management wants people to work 24hrs a day.
Environmentaly challenging (tar fumes), interesting job
Process / Reliability Engineer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 7, 2014
The technology is 50 y/ old thus not much margin for improvements however possible
Interesting and Fun People
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 27, 2014
Manager of Operations is actually a registered Engineer and is very involved with day to day activity.
Family run company
Employee (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 13, 2013
Pros: quite
Cons: to many chiefs
Family is very active in business.
HMM
HMM
mangers need to provide direction and mentoring.
Turnovers
Regional Logistics Manager (Former Employee), BramptonNovember 16, 2014
Company with a lot of turnovers at all levels. Very unsecure place to work, with a lot of conflict of interests.
heavy industrial workplace
Operator-Leadhand-Supervisor (Former Employee), Hawkesbury, ONMarch 28, 2012
Family oriented industry.Started as an operator and worked my way up to a Supervisor position.
overall good company
Shipping/Security Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 22, 2014
Very busy work environment, always something new to learn and keep me busy.