IKEA Employee Reviews

Actually enjoyed working
Interior Design Co-worker (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, onJuly 21, 2015
It's hard finding places these days that you can actually enjoy working at. I was doing co-op at the Ikea Burlington for my final month of college. I did a wide range of different jobs while under the interior communications department. Although the thing is that the position for the interior design hardly comes available to due popularity.
Great team atmosphere
Cash Manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 23, 2014
Great culture & atmosphere
beneficial company to our environment
team building
strategic management skills
great customer service /resolution
great products
easy work life balance
Fun place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 28, 2014
Support and Steer the management team to develop the store's annual P&L, financial goals and objectives and update forecast throughout the fiscal year. Full responsibilities for Resource planning, payroll, billing, project reporting, financial statement production and distribution, and preparation of operating budgets.
Pros
positive team enviornment.
Cons
lack of opportunities for advancement
Total Responsibility for every aspect of sales and placement of products
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 23, 2014
• Responsible for the day to day operations of three departments, home organization, secondary storage and lighting.
• Operational Duties include: opening/closing, merchandising, recruiting, training, staff evaluations, department product promotions, evaluating all products on sales productivity and increasing sales on under performing products or product area’s.
• Responsible for weekly, monthly, and yearly sales.
• Present monthly business analysis on department productivity and budget targets.
• Prepare department business plans including product and budget forecasting.
• Duty Manager role providing primary support to all departments in regards to customer relations, emergency services and staff mentoring
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
chances of advancement
IKEA is a fantastic company to work for!
Customer Service In Furniture Delivery Department (Current Employee) –  North York, OntarioMarch 19, 2014
The company culture at IKEA is easy-going and friendly. It is easy to get a long with management and the co workers. They make advancement in the workplace an achievable goal. Highly recommended for entry level and senior job seekers.
Productive and fun to learn about home furnishings.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 4, 2012
I have learned a great deal about myself and others during my many years of working here. There are many opportunities of advancement within the company. Managers and co workers all work together as a family. The hardest part of my job is getting the work done in a timely manner. The best part is the many diverse coworkers that I work with. We all bring a different learning experience and culture to the Ikea family.
Pros
free coffee, tea and hot chocolate. staff lunches.
Cons
the early shift that i start at.
Fun workplace
Recovery Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
A typical day at work was usually filled with fun and laughter. Everyone in the department enjoyed each others company.

When I left, the management of my department was questionable. The man seemed more focused on asserting his authority and blatant favoritism that his management skills are at best laughable.

The hardest part of the job was the physical labor and massive influx of returned items. There was so many returns that the department did not have enough man power to deal with it all. On many occasions, massive amounts of product went straight to the garbage simply because there were few people to process it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Although there was immense pressure to get the job done, at least there were people around to make jokes with.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
poor management choices, it's who you know not what you know
Professional and structured environment
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 23, 2013
IKEA is a fun, interesting and unique work environment. Co-workers and management are treated like equals and the environment is reasonably calm for a retail setting. I learned a lot about the inner workings of a large retail store like this, how the cash on hand is handled and how the store compiles, stores and reports it's flow of money.
The hardest part of the job was very clearly getting used to the very dated way of running their batch reports every morning. But after a couple weeks of training and repeatedly going through the process myself, I eventually got used to it.
My favorite and most enjoyable part of the job was working in an office environment and the daily interactions with all of the wonderful people that work there. It truly is a great place to work and I'm very thankful that I had the opportunity to be there.
Very good place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2012
Overall, IKEA was a great place to work. A typical day at work consisted of accepting basic customer returns, dealing with customer complaints, filling the hardware bins when needed. I learned a lot about the internal system that was used to complete the returns as well as "user roles" (customer complaints that needed to be rectified) within the system.

Management was excellent and my co-workers were always great to be around and very helpful when needed. Everyone always had a positive attitude while working. I gained a lot of close friends while working at IKEA.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the customers situations, but a solution was always found.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile on the customers face after I had assisted them with whatever needed to be done.
Pros
positive attitudes while working
Cons
sporadic hours, policies are not made clear.
IKEA
Safety and Security Admin/Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 15, 2013
The position is not what I expected. My day is comprised of completing various audits, safety and security specific. Also, answering phones, including the emergency line.

I have learned various aspects of completing audits. requirements and usefulness.

Management, is new, as is the store so there is room for growth and development. They are open to feedback which is positive.

My co-worker in my immediate department are a close and strong team. We are all individual and bring our own skills and backgrounds making our team strong and experienced.

Hardest part of my job is the fact that I work in retial and I have come to realize I am not a good fit for this environment.

I enjoy the team and the various people I get to meet throught the day to day opertaions.
Pros
the connection with many people and being the go to person for them when they have questions
Cons
expectations, rules and policies ever changing and not consistent
Organized and well managed
Mechanical/ Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
A fun place to work. New and interesting things daily. Friendly staff. Employee discounts. Pleasing environment for the customers. Cleanliness was tops.
Work Summary
Strategic Business Analyst: Management (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 7, 2015
I analyze sales trends and focus on lowering existing cost on a monthly basis. I prepare and review the Profit and Loss Statement to in turn examine the impacts of the overall business. I then take this analysis and consult with the management team on the potential opportunities they can take to maximize revenue and create efficiency. Overall, I am a contributor to the management team as an analyst to for better working business strategies
efficient and productive work area
server/ hot prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 10, 2015
Ikea has a very busy atmosphere, an individual must be alert and must be able to make quick decisions. Ikea has a wonderful team of staff that look out for each other. The hardest part of working at Ikea is the busy atmosphere and low number of staffs provided to do the work that must be carried out.
Productive Workplace
Full Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Full time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2012
Day to day duties consisted of picking orders for customers from the shelf to piece together orders, such as kitchens, sofas, or room sets. Through out working in the warehouse I gained lots of computer system knowledge and inventory tracking systems as well as forklift experience as well as shipping and receiving. Management was fairly good for the most part when everyone was on the same page. Some days were completely unorganized and daily tasks would not be completed. Hardest part of the job would have been days when the team did not have all the resources it could have causing incomplete tasks, accidents, or lost items. The most enjoyable part of working at IKEA was how everyone could come together to complete what was needed but only when it was at a critical point. Otherwise driving forklift and working on large scale orders was nice.
Pros
free lunch on busy days, staff cafe, staff discount, flexible hours
Cons
staff shortage
Good work, messy managment.
Receiving team support manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg ManitobaSeptember 10, 2013
I was a support manager for the warehouse at Ikea and I enjoyed it. BUT it came as a surprise I wasn't aware of being a manager for a few months and never really got management training on the side. I had the training to use equipment to teach other employees and little training on how to use the trailer programs on the computer I more or less taught my self through manuals there. It was a new store and I expected it to be hectic and I was patient. Even put in lots of OT 12 hour days. In the end I got canned for a small issue of letting a trainee drive on his own around others for a hour on a forklift which is how I was trained. But they didn't fire me on the spot they needed me there they kept me for a month and out of the blue they let me go I had no clue and it really messed things up for me. I hope management is a lot better I hear one of my old friends there moved up and we trained together as managers so I'm glad to see him moving up even though he din't really want to. As goes their Culture, they have a "strong" one and it really got to me saying they look out for their employees and so on and at first it was great I got to go to Vancouver for a month all expenses payed. But then they really dint care about us warehouse people we were like the dogs of the company. Always pressuring us to work very long hours and never getting rewards.and when they dropped me like a bag of bricks that shows that the company is kinda slimy.
Pros
cheap staff luches
Cons
messy managment
Friendly coworkers
Kitchen Planner/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 7, 2014
I used to love working at IKEA for the simple reason that the "IKEA culture" was fantastic. You felt well-loved and appreciated. The management team has changed drastically in the last few years, and things have not been the same. Employee turnover is high now, when it used to be low. Most of the coworkers are great and I have made life-long friends with many.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
biased management team
Great place to work in general
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2014
-Would cash out clients, trouble shoot with the cash computers when required, provide customer service.
-Learnt about the process of checking out, balancing at the end of the night and solutions for cash computer problems
-management was easy to work with, we had few cash supervisors
-Job was easy in general except certain situations that could be taken care of when the customers may have disagreed with prices or wanting discount.
-The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people
Pros
social environment, easy tasks, short hours
Cons
dealing with rude customers, had to work weekends
Friendly environment with foosball table in caf
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 22, 2015
Great management staff that keeps you motivated.
Good location to learn about customer service.
Co-workers are friendly and social, it is easy to fit in.
Parties every 4 months and year-end to celebrate the success of the company.
Day starts off with a pep-talk, management would give stats of the day before and the expected goals for the week.
Pros
incentives to win gifts
Cons
bid for work schedule
It was a great working experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCSeptember 5, 2014
Working at Ikea was a great learning experience. I have learnt many responsibilities and work ethics by being a part of their team. I enjoyed working with different people everyday, it helped me build excellent communication skills in English and French. I picked up my working pace very quickly due to the number of clients I have served everyday. Working as a cashier required memorization skills for the codes and had helped me build my strength in various ways. The reason why I left is due to the hours that were not enough for me. In Ikea the hours given per worker is based on seniority, the longer you've been working with the, the more hours you would receive to work. Since I have been there for a year I did not receive many hours that I needed to financially support myself. Overall Ikea was a great place to work and to gain experience.
Pros
leanred many useful skills
Cons
not enough hours
co workers
parking lot assistance (Former Employee) –  torontoJuly 31, 2015
i had a co worker that always made sure i was ok on the job always willing to help as a team member never had no problems all around i would say ikea is a team based work place