IKEA Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast paced environment, family oriented, fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2012
I really have nothing bad to say about Ikea. You must love kids though! The training is very good, they treat their employees well, with good benefits. Good staff discount!
Pros
excellent private lunch room, hot meals for only $4.00. great xmas and summer party provided free! bonuses, fun days out are organized from time to time.
Cons
very physical, alot of walking, lifting, and of course building. if you don't like noise and kids, it can be overwhelming. you have to get used to very physical labour!
One of the better retail stores to work at
Ikea Carts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North YorkDecember 18, 2012
This place has gone downhill and they keep on finding ways to cut corners at the expense of its long time workers. Too many times management has no clue what its doing and I've worked here for 3 years only to find they insistently hire ineffective managers who are more lost than the workers themselves.

However this is a generally friendly environment to work in and that Ikea team spirit can still sometimes be felt. Just don't expect to make a lot of money even if you are lucky to get in as a fulltimer
Very busy company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 19, 2013
Each day I would work on either a self check-out section or a traditional cash lane. When working a traditional cash lane each individual is responsible for for their own cash float and balancing at the end of a shift. The job is very simple but made to be more difficult than needed due to their outdated computer systems and procedures. This makes it difficult because I believe in providing customers with a high level of customer service but without proper systems it is not easy to do. Ikea is a company known for a multi-cultural work environment and high standards for equality resulting in a good work environment.
Pros
employee discount, affordable lunches in employee room
Cons
outdated computers and procedures
Fun, and crazy place with about 1000 co-workers.
Recovery (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 22, 2013
• A typical day at work where nothing needs to be done alone.
• I learned how to assemble furnitures.
• They have good management system.
• Friendly co-workers.
• The hardest past of the job is moving heavy furnitures.
• The most enjoyable part of the job is granting customer
satisfactions.
Pros
huge work environment, discount on foods, and limited discounts when buying their products.
Cons
temporarily worked for two months.
Fast pace envirnment with supportive co workers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 18, 2012
Typical day- managing un expected peak alone during weekend
Learned about Ikea culture and hotline activities at restaurant
Management-Is fine. Helpful most of the time
Co worker- mostly helpful and active
Hardest part- managing un expected peak alone sometime during weekend and changing schedules
Enjoyable part- Fast and speed with challenge
Pros
benefits and offers
Cons
non fixed shift patern
Very productive retail store
Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2013
Over the years at Ikea I was able to see first hand how a world class business brings in customers, and moves thousands of products on a daily basis. In customer service, I learned all the warts of the business and in sales I was able to see how customers shop and what home furnishings and household products mean to real people and how it can positively impact their lives.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
mostly part-time shift work
It was a great working experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCSeptember 5, 2014
Working at Ikea was a great learning experience. I have learnt many responsibilities and work ethics by being a part of their team. I enjoyed working with different people everyday, it helped me build excellent communication skills in English and French. I picked up my working pace very quickly due to the number of clients I have served everyday. Working as a cashier required memorization skills for the codes and had helped me build my strength in various ways. The reason why I left is due to the hours that were not enough for me. In Ikea the hours given per worker is based on seniority, the longer you've been working with the, the more hours you would receive to work. Since I have been there for a year I did not receive many hours that I needed to financially support myself. Overall Ikea was a great place to work and to gain experience.
Pros
leanred many useful skills
Cons
not enough hours
Ikea's work atmosphere
Self-Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2013
I would come in work really fast and hard in order to have the stock ready before the opening of the store. Ikea has taught me that working hard toward a similar goal can give motivation to anyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with my co-worker as we stock the racks full of products coming from the trucks.
Pros
$1 breakfasts and great co-workers
A fun and high-energy environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, OntarioMarch 9, 2013
I valued the marketing approach - the products would be placed directly under the model/display of same. This made the product easy for a customer and a sales associate to find and created optical appeal and higher sales volume.
Pros
a very organized store
Cons
often approached by customers while on way to break because of our uniforms being so visible.
The best possible retail position
After-Sales Coworker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2013
Ikea clearly values their employees, they treat everyone from janitorial staff to managers with the same level of respect.
I feel that in my time at Ikea my efforts were appreciated and recognized.
The team itself is tightly knit and friendly, and management is typically positive and eager to assist.
Pros
employee lunch discounted, friendly staff
Fun workplace
Recovery Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
A typical day at work was usually filled with fun and laughter. Everyone in the department enjoyed each others company.

When I left, the management of my department was questionable. The man seemed more focused on asserting his authority and blatant favoritism that his management skills are at best laughable.

The hardest part of the job was the physical labor and massive influx of returned items. There was so many returns that the department did not have enough man power to deal with it all. On many occasions, massive amounts of product went straight to the garbage simply because there were few people to process it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Although there was immense pressure to get the job done, at least there were people around to make jokes with.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
poor management choices, it's who you know not what you know
Total Responsibility for every aspect of sales and placement of products
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 23, 2014
• Responsible for the day to day operations of three departments, home organization, secondary storage and lighting.
• Operational Duties include: opening/closing, merchandising, recruiting, training, staff evaluations, department product promotions, evaluating all products on sales productivity and increasing sales on under performing products or product area’s.
• Responsible for weekly, monthly, and yearly sales.
• Present monthly business analysis on department productivity and budget targets.
• Prepare department business plans including product and budget forecasting.
• Duty Manager role providing primary support to all departments in regards to customer relations, emergency services and staff mentoring
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
chances of advancement
Challenging place to work, working days are always busy
Bistro Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 22, 2012
Every workday is always busy, but if stress is handled correctly it shouldn't be a bad day. I've learned to multi-task and deal with every customer needs. Management was fair, co workers have a neutral attitude. Hardest part of the job is everything on the weekends, most enjoyable was working with samples and giving out to people.
fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJanuary 13, 2013
Great company and awesome people,we are always very busy
at Ikea which makes the day go by fast.My co workers are fun to be around,I enjoy giving great customer service and the hardest part would be dealing with an unhappy customer but if you approach them with a smile you can usually turn them around.
Pros
people, employee discounts
Cons
ugly shirts
Very employees oriented
AP Accountant (Former Employee) –  MoscowNovember 14, 2013
It's a great company with high values for their staff. Benefits such as lunch compensation, sport gym, presents for Christmas and store achievements, life/private medical insurance including dental. Great opportunity to express yourself at yearly performance evaluations. Company provides both internal and external training.
Professional and structured environment
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 23, 2013
IKEA is a fun, interesting and unique work environment. Co-workers and management are treated like equals and the environment is reasonably calm for a retail setting. I learned a lot about the inner workings of a large retail store like this, how the cash on hand is handled and how the store compiles, stores and reports it's flow of money.
The hardest part of the job was very clearly getting used to the very dated way of running their batch reports every morning. But after a couple weeks of training and repeatedly going through the process myself, I eventually got used to it.
My favorite and most enjoyable part of the job was working in an office environment and the daily interactions with all of the wonderful people that work there. It truly is a great place to work and I'm very thankful that I had the opportunity to be there.
Ikea is a very exciting,fun,busy workplace with opportunity to grow with the company.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2014
I only work Ikea on weekends and really enjoy meeting all their customers. I am
able to assist with all inquires and shopping needs.
Pros
half price lunches and discount for family and friends
Cons
long closing hours with very demanding ustomers
Variety of opportunities to learn and to grow
Canada Ltd .Partner (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 29, 2013
This is a part-time position.
•a typical day at work -only 4 hours, couple times a week
•what you learned- cash, serving technics
•management- positive and open to the dialog
•your co-workers- multicultural, of different age-groups as well
•the hardest part of the job- to leave
•the most enjoyable part of the job-to come.
Being able to present satisfaction towards customers
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  BurlingtonMarch 9, 2014
Arrive at IKEA store to load the truck with IKEA products.
-Assure that customer receives the right quality of their products
-Deliver IKEA customer products unto the customer in a presentable timely frame
-Send in order towards IKEA company to sign off delivery
Pros
good tips
Cons
long hrs
Very fast paced.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 31, 2014
I would come in and serve people breakfast. Always had regulars. It was a great job with many opportunities. It was like being a part of a family.

I would handle cash. Clean, and stock.
Pros
lots of hours.
Cons
commute.