IKEA Employee Reviews

IKEA is a fantastic company to work for!
Customer Service In Furniture Delivery Department (Current Employee) –  North York, Ontario19 March 2014
The company culture at IKEA is easy-going and friendly. It is easy to get a long with management and the co workers. They make advancement in the workplace an achievable goal. Highly recommended for entry level and senior job seekers.
Good hours, lazy co-workers
Carts (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2016
Hours were good but hard to adjust availability
Felt like I was never properly trained
Difficult to communicate with other co-workers
Tv room on break times
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2016
A typical day will be just washing dishes and then taking it out ready for use. I did appreciate working and being recognized as employer of the month.
Pros
$4 lunches
Cons
always short staffed
greatplace too work
Temp Position-Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2015
i worked in the warehouse as a order picker.
put stock awaywhen skids came in the night before.
i learnt more skills on being a order picker witch was good.
the ikea group are a great group of people too work with.
my boss was good too me tought me new things every day.
Pros
great people too work with
Cons
was only temp wish i could of staied.
Productive and fun to learn about home furnishings.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 September 2012
I have learned a great deal about myself and others during my many years of working here. There are many opportunities of advancement within the company. Managers and co workers all work together as a family. The hardest part of my job is getting the work done in a timely manner. The best part is the many diverse coworkers that I work with. We all bring a different learning experience and culture to the Ikea family.
Pros
free coffee, tea and hot chocolate. staff lunches.
Cons
the early shift that i start at.
Excellent Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 October 2015
Once a customer at IKEA was at the self checkout lane. they tried to conceal without paying for the items I observed and approached very professionally. In a such manner I notified the customer that they have missed few items. I made sure they paid the items without offending the customer. this was reported to manager and was appreciated my IKEA for making sure there was no loss to the company.
Fun workplace
Recovery Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2014
A typical day at work was usually filled with fun and laughter. Everyone in the department enjoyed each others company.

When I left, the management of my department was questionable. The man seemed more focused on asserting his authority and blatant favoritism that his management skills are at best laughable.

The hardest part of the job was the physical labor and massive influx of returned items. There was so many returns that the department did not have enough man power to deal with it all. On many occasions, massive amounts of product went straight to the garbage simply because there were few people to process it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Although there was immense pressure to get the job done, at least there were people around to make jokes with.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
poor management choices, it's WHO you KNOW not what you know
Professional and structured environment
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 August 2013
IKEA is a fun, interesting and unique work environment. Co-workers and management are treated like equals and the environment is reasonably calm for a retail setting. I learned a lot about the inner workings of a large retail store like this, how the cash on hand is handled and how the store compiles, stores and reports it's flow of money.
The hardest part of the job was very clearly getting used to the very dated way of running their batch reports every morning. But after a couple weeks of training and repeatedly going through the process myself, I eventually got used to it.
My favorite and most enjoyable part of the job was working in an office environment and the daily interactions with all of the wonderful people that work there. It truly is a great place to work and I'm very thankful that I had the opportunity to be there.
Good enough
Logistics Coworker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 October 2015
IKEA Canada is as good a place to work as any other warehouse or customer service company. I can not comment on the food service portion, because I did not work in that department. The wages are not industry standard, whatever they might claim, but they are not horrible either.
Pros
subsidised staff lunches and 15% Employee discount.
Cons
I am legally obligated to represent IKEA in the best possible way.
Very good place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 July 2012
Overall, IKEA was a great place to work. A typical day at work consisted of accepting basic customer returns, dealing with customer complaints, filling the hardware bins when needed. I learned a lot about the internal system that was used to complete the returns as well as "user roles" (customer complaints that needed to be rectified) within the system.

Management was excellent and my co-workers were always great to be around and very helpful when needed. Everyone always had a positive attitude while working. I gained a lot of close friends while working at IKEA.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the customers situations, but a solution was always found.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile on the customers face after I had assisted them with whatever needed to be done.
Pros
positive attitudes while working
Cons
sporadic hours, policies are not made clear.
Fun place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 October 2014
Support and Steer the management team to develop the store's annual P&L, financial goals and objectives and update forecast throughout the fiscal year. Full responsibilities for Resource planning, payroll, billing, project reporting, financial statement production and distribution, and preparation of operating budgets.
Pros
Positive team enviornment.
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement
Working for IKEA
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2015
Although IKEA sells themselves in the orientation process, working for them was the worst 5 months of my life. It's strenuous on the body, they schedule you every weekend no matter what and they don't give you the proper information to actually do your job.

Worst place to work, do not apply.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
hard work, long hours, terrible communication, rude people
Great team atmosphere
Cash Manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 November 2014
Great culture & atmosphere
beneficial company to our environment
team building
strategic management skills
great customer service /resolution
great products
easy work life balance
IKEA
Safety and Security Admin/Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 March 2013
The position is not what I expected. My day is comprised of completing various audits, safety and security specific. Also, answering phones, including the emergency line.

I have learned various aspects of completing audits. requirements and usefulness.

Management, is new, as is the store so there is room for growth and development. They are open to feedback which is positive.

My co-worker in my immediate department are a close and strong team. We are all individual and bring our own skills and backgrounds making our team strong and experienced.

Hardest part of my job is the fact that I work in retial and I have come to realize I am not a good fit for this environment.

I enjoy the team and the various people I get to meet throught the day to day opertaions.
Pros
the connection with many people and being the go to person for them when they have questions
Cons
expectations, rules and policies ever changing and not consistent
Productive Workplace
Full Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Full time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2012
Day to day duties consisted of picking orders for customers from the shelf to piece together orders, such as kitchens, sofas, or room sets. Through out working in the warehouse I gained lots of computer system knowledge and inventory tracking systems as well as forklift experience as well as shipping and receiving. Management was fairly good for the most part when everyone was on the same page. Some days were completely unorganized and daily tasks would not be completed. Hardest part of the job would have been days when the team did not have all the resources it could have causing incomplete tasks, accidents, or lost items. The most enjoyable part of working at IKEA was how everyone could come together to complete what was needed but only when it was at a critical point. Otherwise driving forklift and working on large scale orders was nice.
Pros
free lunch on busy days, staff cafe, staff discount, flexible hours
Cons
staff shortage
Good work, messy managment.
Receiving team support manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba10 September 2013
I was a support manager for the warehouse at Ikea and I enjoyed it. BUT it came as a surprise I wasn't aware of being a manager for a few months and never really got management training on the side. I had the training to use equipment to teach other employees and little training on how to use the trailer programs on the computer I more or less taught my self through manuals there. It was a new store and I expected it to be hectic and I was patient. Even put in lots of OT 12 hour days. In the end I got canned for a small issue of letting a trainee drive on his own around others for a hour on a forklift which is how I was trained. But they didn't fire me on the spot they needed me there they kept me for a month and out of the blue they let me go I had no clue and it really messed things up for me. I hope management is a lot better I hear one of my old friends there moved up and we trained together as managers so I'm glad to see him moving up even though he din't really want to. As goes their Culture, they have a "strong" one and it really got to me saying they look out for their employees and so on and at first it was great I got to go to Vancouver for a month all expenses payed. But then they really dint care about us warehouse people we were like the dogs of the company. Always pressuring us to work very long hours and never getting rewards.and when they dropped me like a bag of bricks that shows that the company is kinda slimy.
Pros
cheap staff luches
Cons
Messy managment
Flexible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2015
Flexible. Great co workers who make the job enjoyable. Gets extremely busy at times which is the hardest part of the job. Management is not too bad. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet. Everyday I was interacting with people from different walks of the life which was always interesting.
Great place to work in general
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2014
-Would cash out clients, trouble shoot with the cash computers when required, provide customer service.
-Learnt about the process of checking out, balancing at the end of the night and solutions for cash computer problems
-management was easy to work with, we had few cash supervisors
-Job was easy in general except certain situations that could be taken care of when the customers may have disagreed with prices or wanting discount.
-The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people
Pros
Social environment, easy tasks, short hours
Cons
Dealing with rude customers, had to work weekends
Friendly coworkers
Kitchen Planner/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto7 October 2014
I used to love working at IKEA for the simple reason that the "IKEA culture" was fantastic. You felt well-loved and appreciated. The management team has changed drastically in the last few years, and things have not been the same. Employee turnover is high now, when it used to be low. Most of the coworkers are great and I have made life-long friends with many.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Biased management team
very productive and friendly place.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2015
fun and productive work place, I learned many things from other co-workers and also from my team leader and manager. their come from all over the world with many different background, yet we still can work as a great team.
the hardest part would be the hours (since it's a over night shift).
and the most enjoyable part is the feeling i had when we can get the job done 100%. because we know, although each of us have our own responsibility but still we work as a team. and it's such a great felling if we can reach the team goal than just our individual goal.
Pros
free beverages, relax room and employe discount.
Cons
part-time status