IKEA Employee Reviews in Canada

prodictive
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMarch 20, 2014
I wasn't there long due to it only being go to work with a parent week, but the entire time I was there, it was amazing. the costumers were amazing and always fun to talk to. and the crew was so fun, we were always laughing and teaching each other new things. a day working with Ikea while I was there would be to go where ever the manager had sent me. I would serve costumers with their food, and as they are always busy you needed great speed. hardest part of the job, running around and doing a few duties at once and you had to be quick on your feet.
Great place to work in general
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2014
-Would cash out clients, trouble shoot with the cash computers when required, provide customer service.
-Learnt about the process of checking out, balancing at the end of the night and solutions for cash computer problems
-management was easy to work with, we had few cash supervisors
-Job was easy in general except certain situations that could be taken care of when the customers may have disagreed with prices or wanting discount.
-The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people
Pros
social environment, easy tasks, short hours
Cons
dealing with rude customers, had to work weekends
Secure position, great pay, close staff
Cashier/Restaurant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 27, 2013
Ikea was a great job. I enjoyed the hours, my co-workers, and the customer service I provided.
The most difficult part of this job was the busy season, working overtime at last minute and trying to get the rush down.
The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers.
A typical day would include food prep, cash register, food display, dining room runs (clearing tables, cleaning dining hall). Doing food prep for the next day, serving customers, cashing out at the end of the day.
Good place to work, friendly attitudes from all
Customer Service - Returns and Exchanges (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 3, 2012
The returns dept is a heavy stress environment. The perks include the co-workers. I have the privilege of working with a diverse group of people. They each add to my experience. Yes there's conflict. Yes there are trials. I am fortunate in that my part time job is just that - a part time job. I learn as much as possible. I work as hard as I can. This is my ethic. So far I haven't personally experienced hardship other than thru my own ignorance. All-in-all... I love working at IKEA.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
learning curve is steep.
Productive and fun to learn about home furnishings.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 4, 2012
I have learned a great deal about myself and others during my many years of working here. There are many opportunities of advancement within the company. Managers and co workers all work together as a family. The hardest part of my job is getting the work done in a timely manner. The best part is the many diverse coworkers that I work with. We all bring a different learning experience and culture to the Ikea family.
Pros
free coffee, tea and hot chocolate. staff lunches.
Cons
the early shift that i start at.
Fast paced environment, family oriented, fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2012
I really have nothing bad to say about Ikea. You must love kids though! The training is very good, they treat their employees well, with good benefits. Good staff discount!
Pros
excellent private lunch room, hot meals for only $4.00. great xmas and summer party provided free! bonuses, fun days out are organized from time to time.
Cons
very physical, alot of walking, lifting, and of course building. if you don't like noise and kids, it can be overwhelming. you have to get used to very physical labour!
One of the better retail stores to work at
Ikea Carts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North YorkDecember 18, 2012
This place has gone downhill and they keep on finding ways to cut corners at the expense of its long time workers. Too many times management has no clue what its doing and I've worked here for 3 years only to find they insistently hire ineffective managers who are more lost than the workers themselves.

However this is a generally friendly environment to work in and that Ikea team spirit can still sometimes be felt. Just don't expect to make a lot of money even if you are lucky to get in as a fulltimer
Very busy company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 19, 2013
Each day I would work on either a self check-out section or a traditional cash lane. When working a traditional cash lane each individual is responsible for for their own cash float and balancing at the end of a shift. The job is very simple but made to be more difficult than needed due to their outdated computer systems and procedures. This makes it difficult because I believe in providing customers with a high level of customer service but without proper systems it is not easy to do. Ikea is a company known for a multi-cultural work environment and high standards for equality resulting in a good work environment.
Pros
employee discount, affordable lunches in employee room
Cons
outdated computers and procedures
Great job, Poor management
Logistics (Full Serve) Personnel (Former Employee) –  EtobicokeMay 7, 2013
IKEA is such a busy place it's really difficult to see the fruits of your labor, especially with the way management is set up.
all the co-workers got a long great and were really supportive both personally and professionally. with a system that was always changing, consistency with goods flow was difficult but manageable. IKEA strives to learn and become more efficient in what they do. it is a very diverse company and despite it's size is doing a great job to be environmentally friendly
Pros
benefits, social outings
Cons
inconsistent hours
Great opportunities for those willing to travel
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  VancouverJune 12, 2013
World class global retailer with a variety of opportunities, rapidly expanding in India and China. Range of opportunities in sales, logistics, design, customer service. High volume retail is hard work, but there is a great variety of career paths for a dynamic individual.

Coworkers are great, you develop strong relationships with your fellow team members. It is an organisation where you will work long hours and it is a seven day a week operation.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
need to be available many days of week hour in day
my work place
Housekeeping and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 2, 2014
I am a hard worker but my company didn't see this they want to take all our benifits and reduse our hours. When i started in this company they are very good and have a big heart but time goes by they change until now we are outside fighting for our right. I have a good co worker and most of them is long in this company. I enjoy in my job so much because all my co worker is really kind and friendly.
Fast pace envirnment with supportive co workers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 18, 2012
Typical day- managing un expected peak alone during weekend
Learned about Ikea culture and hotline activities at restaurant
Management-Is fine. Helpful most of the time
Co worker- mostly helpful and active
Hardest part- managing un expected peak alone sometime during weekend and changing schedules
Enjoyable part- Fast and speed with challenge
Pros
benefits and offers
Cons
non fixed shift patern
Fun, and crazy place with about 1000 co-workers.
Recovery (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 22, 2013
• A typical day at work where nothing needs to be done alone.
• I learned how to assemble furnitures.
• They have good management system.
• Friendly co-workers.
• The hardest past of the job is moving heavy furnitures.
• The most enjoyable part of the job is granting customer
satisfactions.
Pros
huge work environment, discount on foods, and limited discounts when buying their products.
Cons
temporarily worked for two months.
Very productive retail store
Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2013
Over the years at Ikea I was able to see first hand how a world class business brings in customers, and moves thousands of products on a daily basis. In customer service, I learned all the warts of the business and in sales I was able to see how customers shop and what home furnishings and household products mean to real people and how it can positively impact their lives.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
mostly part-time shift work
Ikea's work atmosphere
Self-Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2013
I would come in work really fast and hard in order to have the stock ready before the opening of the store. Ikea has taught me that working hard toward a similar goal can give motivation to anyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with my co-worker as we stock the racks full of products coming from the trucks.
Pros
$1 breakfasts and great co-workers
A fun and high-energy environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, OntarioMarch 9, 2013
I valued the marketing approach - the products would be placed directly under the model/display of same. This made the product easy for a customer and a sales associate to find and created optical appeal and higher sales volume.
Pros
a very organized store
Cons
often approached by customers while on way to break because of our uniforms being so visible.
The best possible retail position
After-Sales Coworker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2013
Ikea clearly values their employees, they treat everyone from janitorial staff to managers with the same level of respect.
I feel that in my time at Ikea my efforts were appreciated and recognized.
The team itself is tightly knit and friendly, and management is typically positive and eager to assist.
Pros
employee lunch discounted, friendly staff
Challenging place to work, working days are always busy
Bistro Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 22, 2012
Every workday is always busy, but if stress is handled correctly it shouldn't be a bad day. I've learned to multi-task and deal with every customer needs. Management was fair, co workers have a neutral attitude. Hardest part of the job is everything on the weekends, most enjoyable was working with samples and giving out to people.
Total Responsibility for every aspect of sales and placement of products
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 23, 2014
• Responsible for the day to day operations of three departments, home organization, secondary storage and lighting.
• Operational Duties include: opening/closing, merchandising, recruiting, training, staff evaluations, department product promotions, evaluating all products on sales productivity and increasing sales on under performing products or product area’s.
• Responsible for weekly, monthly, and yearly sales.
• Present monthly business analysis on department productivity and budget targets.
• Prepare department business plans including product and budget forecasting.
• Duty Manager role providing primary support to all departments in regards to customer relations, emergency services and staff mentoring
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
chances of advancement
It was a great working experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCSeptember 5, 2014
Working at Ikea was a great learning experience. I have learnt many responsibilities and work ethics by being a part of their team. I enjoyed working with different people everyday, it helped me build excellent communication skills in English and French. I picked up my working pace very quickly due to the number of clients I have served everyday. Working as a cashier required memorization skills for the codes and had helped me build my strength in various ways. The reason why I left is due to the hours that were not enough for me. In Ikea the hours given per worker is based on seniority, the longer you've been working with the, the more hours you would receive to work. Since I have been there for a year I did not receive many hours that I needed to financially support myself. Overall Ikea was a great place to work and to gain experience.
Pros
leanred many useful skills
Cons
not enough hours