IKEA Employee Reviews

Total Responsibility for every aspect of sales and placement of products
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB23 February 2014
• Responsible for the day to day operations of three departments, home organization, secondary storage and lighting.
• Operational Duties include: opening/closing, merchandising, recruiting, training, staff evaluations, department product promotions, evaluating all products on sales productivity and increasing sales on under performing products or product area’s.
• Responsible for weekly, monthly, and yearly sales.
• Present monthly business analysis on department productivity and budget targets.
• Prepare department business plans including product and budget forecasting.
• Duty Manager role providing primary support to all departments in regards to customer relations, emergency services and staff mentoring
Pros
Family Atmosphere
Cons
Chances of advancement
Professional and structured environment
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 August 2013
IKEA is a fun, interesting and unique work environment. Co-workers and management are treated like equals and the environment is reasonably calm for a retail setting. I learned a lot about the inner workings of a large retail store like this, how the cash on hand is handled and how the store compiles, stores and reports it's flow of money.
The hardest part of the job was very clearly getting used to the very dated way of running their batch reports every morning. But after a couple weeks of training and repeatedly going through the process myself, I eventually got used to it.
My favorite and most enjoyable part of the job was working in an office environment and the daily interactions with all of the wonderful people that work there. It truly is a great place to work and I'm very thankful that I had the opportunity to be there.
Very good place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 July 2012
Overall, IKEA was a great place to work. A typical day at work consisted of accepting basic customer returns, dealing with customer complaints, filling the hardware bins when needed. I learned a lot about the internal system that was used to complete the returns as well as "user roles" (customer complaints that needed to be rectified) within the system.

Management was excellent and my co-workers were always great to be around and very helpful when needed. Everyone always had a positive attitude while working. I gained a lot of close friends while working at IKEA.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the customers situations, but a solution was always found.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile on the customers face after I had assisted them with whatever needed to be done.
Pros
positive attitudes while working
Cons
sporadic hours, policies are not made clear.
IKEA
Safety and Security Admin/Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 March 2013
The position is not what I expected. My day is comprised of completing various audits, safety and security specific. Also, answering phones, including the emergency line.

I have learned various aspects of completing audits. requirements and usefulness.

Management, is new, as is the store so there is room for growth and development. They are open to feedback which is positive.

My co-worker in my immediate department are a close and strong team. We are all individual and bring our own skills and backgrounds making our team strong and experienced.

Hardest part of my job is the fact that I work in retial and I have come to realize I am not a good fit for this environment.

I enjoy the team and the various people I get to meet throught the day to day opertaions.
Pros
the connection with many people and being the go to person for them when they have questions
Cons
expectations, rules and policies ever changing and not consistent
greatplace too work
Temp Position-Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2015
i worked in the warehouse as a order picker.
put stock awaywhen skids came in the night before.
i learnt more skills on being a order picker witch was good.
the ikea group are a great group of people too work with.
my boss was good too me tought me new things every day.
Pros
great people too work with
Cons
was only temp wish i could of staied.
Working for IKEA
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2015
Although IKEA sells themselves in the orientation process, working for them was the worst 5 months of my life. It's strenuous on the body, they schedule you every weekend no matter what and they don't give you the proper information to actually do your job.

Worst place to work, do not apply.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
hard work, long hours, terrible communication, rude people
Excellent Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 October 2015
Once a customer at IKEA was at the self checkout lane. they tried to conceal without paying for the items I observed and approached very professionally. In a such manner I notified the customer that they have missed few items. I made sure they paid the items without offending the customer. this was reported to manager and was appreciated my IKEA for making sure there was no loss to the company.
Productive Workplace
Full Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Full time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2012
Day to day duties consisted of picking orders for customers from the shelf to piece together orders, such as kitchens, sofas, or room sets. Through out working in the warehouse I gained lots of computer system knowledge and inventory tracking systems as well as forklift experience as well as shipping and receiving. Management was fairly good for the most part when everyone was on the same page. Some days were completely unorganized and daily tasks would not be completed. Hardest part of the job would have been days when the team did not have all the resources it could have causing incomplete tasks, accidents, or lost items. The most enjoyable part of working at IKEA was how everyone could come together to complete what was needed but only when it was at a critical point. Otherwise driving forklift and working on large scale orders was nice.
Pros
free lunch on busy days, staff cafe, staff discount, flexible hours
Cons
staff shortage
Social & Experience Benefits; Awful Management
Carts & Carryout Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2014
Working with customers was (almost) always one of the best parts of the job, even with the few bad apples you'd get. And you do end up learning a few things about working the job. You meet some great people who feel unified because of the cultural aspect of the job. Lastly, you make money...

However, management was the biggest pain in the behind. Favoritism, neglect, selective memory, non-stop excuses, false assumptions about your work behavior, borderline-authoritarian rules, unwillingness to hear and/or heed the opinions/concerns/suggestions of the department, clashing of different orders/tasks from different managers, and emotional/professional manipulation are just SOME of the things you'll experience from the managers in this store. It made the job extremely stressful to say the least.

I often worked by myself, even on busy days, in spite of the fact that the job required a minimum of two people for the tasks to be done efficiently and properly. Many people were no-shows or called in sick to avoid the work, and while I couldn't blame them because of the work conditions, it made my life that much harder. It was a battle just to stay employed in spite of the rather lousy work conditions for the department. Anxiety was a growing concern for me as I would always dread the shifts where I'd have to put up with the more negative aspects of the job, which was more often than not.

No appreciation was given for my near-flawless attendance record, even with the odd late arrival due to problems with transit. None was given for my willingness to fill in hours that were needed.
  more... Information was constantly withheld from me; I was sometimes made to feel bad for mistakes that could have been corrected with additional staffing in my shifts; the equipment for the job was lousy and just barely worked, often failing or stalling at the worst of times, yet because of bureaucratic red-tape, nothing has been modestly repaired since the beginning of the year; cost-cutting measures and a cryptic, seemingly restrictive budget limited staffing & scheduling abilities; empty promises and shallow assurances from the upper echelons of management; lower-management (such as Duty Managers) would try to pawn off their duties on you any chance they'd get, in spite of how busy YOU were trying to get the job done, you know, the one you were being paid for.  less
Pros
Annual raises, meeting people, strong culture, higher-than-average retail wage
Cons
The MANAGERS!, constant battle for hours, unnecessary stress, faulty equipment, no-shows all the time, scatterbrained shifts

Comment – December 23, 2014

One manager in particular would place blame on me for whenever another co-worker would have the radio (such as when I would be on breaks) and refused to answer the radio when called to assist a customer. This happened because they associated me with having the radio, simply because I worked the most hours and thus usually had the radio on my person; that's simply it, the blame was based on assumption rather than investigation. And I do mean REFUSE, because everyone hated holding onto the radio and avoided the customer-service angle of the job whenever they could. Anyway, one night, immediately after returning from a break, whereby I had left the radio with my other closing co-worker, one after another the floor managers converged on me getting angry about no one coming to help customers with their loadouts. The duty manager came out berating me, lecturing me about how I do my work, and when I had the chance to I pointed out that I didn't even have the radio the whole time they were trying to get customer assistance; my co-worker couldn't hear the radio while collecting carts in the lot, while I was on my fifteen-minute break. Half of all closing shifts I've ever done would be done alone or with someone who would do next to nothing to deserve their pay, usually standing around and slowly pushing carts back into the building. But they needed someone to blame for the problems of the department and because of how often I worked, and I worked my behind off, they used me as their scapegoat. I am glad that I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore, ever since my last day.

Good enough
Logistics Coworker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 October 2015
IKEA Canada is as good a place to work as any other warehouse or customer service company. I can not comment on the food service portion, because I did not work in that department. The wages are not industry standard, whatever they might claim, but they are not horrible either.
Pros
subsidised staff lunches and 15% Employee discount.
Cons
I am legally obligated to represent IKEA in the best possible way.
Great place to work in general
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2014
-Would cash out clients, trouble shoot with the cash computers when required, provide customer service.
-Learnt about the process of checking out, balancing at the end of the night and solutions for cash computer problems
-management was easy to work with, we had few cash supervisors
-Job was easy in general except certain situations that could be taken care of when the customers may have disagreed with prices or wanting discount.
-The enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people
Pros
Social environment, easy tasks, short hours
Cons
Dealing with rude customers, had to work weekends
Work Summary
Strategic Business Analyst: Management (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 February 2015
I analyze sales trends and focus on lowering existing cost on a monthly basis. I prepare and review the Profit and Loss Statement to in turn examine the impacts of the overall business. I then take this analysis and consult with the management team on the potential opportunities they can take to maximize revenue and create efficiency. Overall, I am a contributor to the management team as an analyst to for better working business strategies
One of the better retail stores to work at
Ikea Carts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North York18 December 2012
This place has gone downhill and they keep on finding ways to cut corners at the expense of its long time workers. Too many times management has no clue what its doing and I've worked here for 3 years only to find they insistently hire ineffective managers who are more lost than the workers themselves.

However this is a generally friendly environment to work in and that Ikea team spirit can still sometimes be felt. Just don't expect to make a lot of money even if you are lucky to get in as a fulltimer
typical day
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 July 2015
fun work place with supportive management. decent amount of hours per employee. Tries to accommodate to different situations.
Pros
time shifts
Cons
hours
Fast paced environment, family oriented, fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2012
I really have nothing bad to say about Ikea. You must love kids though! The training is very good, they treat their employees well, with good benefits. Good staff discount!
Pros
excellent private lunch room, hot meals for only $4.00. great xmas and summer party provided free! bonuses, fun days out are organized from time to time.
Cons
very physical, alot of walking, lifting, and of course building. if you don't like noise and kids, it can be overwhelming. you have to get used to very physical labour!
Friendly environment with foosball table in caf
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 January 2015
Great management staff that keeps you motivated.
Good location to learn about customer service.
Co-workers are friendly and social, it is easy to fit in.
Parties every 4 months and year-end to celebrate the success of the company.
Day starts off with a pep-talk, management would give stats of the day before and the expected goals for the week.
Pros
Incentives to win gifts
Cons
Bid for work schedule
very productive and friendly place.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2015
fun and productive work place, I learned many things from other co-workers and also from my team leader and manager. their come from all over the world with many different background, yet we still can work as a great team.
the hardest part would be the hours (since it's a over night shift).
and the most enjoyable part is the feeling i had when we can get the job done 100%. because we know, although each of us have our own responsibility but still we work as a team. and it's such a great felling if we can reach the team goal than just our individual goal.
Pros
free beverages, relax room and employe discount.
Cons
part-time status
An enjoyable experience
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2015
I was blessed enough to have a very hard working boss. He taught me hands on and made sure I got things right. My job was easy to mess up so I stayed focused with his assistance.
Pros
the cafeteria hotdogs :)
Cons
bus route
my work place
Housekeeping and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 June 2014
I am a hard worker but my company didn't see this they want to take all our benifits and reduse our hours. When i started in this company they are very good and have a big heart but time goes by they change until now we are outside fighting for our right. I have a good co worker and most of them is long in this company. I enjoy in my job so much because all my co worker is really kind and friendly.
Challenging place to work, working days are always busy
Bistro Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 December 2012
Every workday is always busy, but if stress is handled correctly it shouldn't be a bad day. I've learned to multi-task and deal with every customer needs. Management was fair, co workers have a neutral attitude. Hardest part of the job is everything on the weekends, most enjoyable was working with samples and giving out to people.