IKEA Employee Reviews

IKEA is a fantastic company to work for!
Customer Service In Furniture Delivery Department (Current Employee) –  North York, Ontario19 March 2014
The company culture at IKEA is easy-going and friendly. It is easy to get a long with management and the co workers. They make advancement in the workplace an achievable goal. Highly recommended for entry level and senior job seekers.
Great opportunities for those willing to travel
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver12 June 2013
World class global retailer with a variety of opportunities, rapidly expanding in India and China. Range of opportunities in sales, logistics, design, customer service. High volume retail is hard work, but there is a great variety of career paths for a dynamic individual.

Coworkers are great, you develop strong relationships with your fellow team members. It is an organisation where you will work long hours and it is a seven day a week operation.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Need to be available many days of week hour in day
Productive and fun to learn about home furnishings.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 September 2012
I have learned a great deal about myself and others during my many years of working here. There are many opportunities of advancement within the company. Managers and co workers all work together as a family. The hardest part of my job is getting the work done in a timely manner. The best part is the many diverse coworkers that I work with. We all bring a different learning experience and culture to the Ikea family.
Pros
free coffee, tea and hot chocolate. staff lunches.
Cons
the early shift that i start at.
Both heavy and light lifting
Mover (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2015
Well I'm a mover in this company and love to do this job because this job is moving from one place to another. Moreover, it was a customer service job.
Pros
Work in an open world and good salary.
Cons
Traffic problems
prouctive work place
warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 February 2016
its a very big place had a lot of stocking to do the manager are very col and laid back you don t have to worry about getting stressed out about over working yourself people are always will to lend a hand
Great team atmosphere
Cash Manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 November 2014
Great culture & atmosphere
beneficial company to our environment
team building
strategic management skills
great customer service /resolution
great products
easy work life balance
Great place to work for
Goods Flow Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2016
I enjoy working for Ikea. Nice employees and good environment. Overall, great experience. I would recommend anyone to work for Ikea
Fast pace, kinda boring. Fun people to work with
Carts Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2016
Ikea was a good place to work. The job was fast pace and kept me busy. The co-workers and the manager however, made the job for me.
Pros
$4 buffet. Free for busier days
Cons
Rude customers
Friendly coworkers
Kitchen Planner/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto7 October 2014
I used to love working at IKEA for the simple reason that the "IKEA culture" was fantastic. You felt well-loved and appreciated. The management team has changed drastically in the last few years, and things have not been the same. Employee turnover is high now, when it used to be low. Most of the coworkers are great and I have made life-long friends with many.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Biased management team
Fun place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 October 2014
Support and Steer the management team to develop the store's annual P&L, financial goals and objectives and update forecast throughout the fiscal year. Full responsibilities for Resource planning, payroll, billing, project reporting, financial statement production and distribution, and preparation of operating budgets.
Pros
Positive team enviornment.
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement
Good work, messy managment.
Receiving team support manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba10 September 2013
I was a support manager for the warehouse at Ikea and I enjoyed it. BUT it came as a surprise I wasn't aware of being a manager for a few months and never really got management training on the side. I had the training to use equipment to teach other employees and little training on how to use the trailer programs on the computer I more or less taught my self through manuals there. It was a new store and I expected it to be hectic and I was patient. Even put in lots of OT 12 hour days. In the end I got canned for a small issue of letting a trainee drive on his own around others for a hour on a forklift which is how I was trained. But they didn't fire me on the spot they needed me there they kept me for a month and out of the blue they let me go I had no clue and it really messed things up for me. I hope management is a lot better I hear one of my old friends there moved up and we trained together as managers so I'm glad to see him moving up even though he din't really want to. As goes their Culture, they have a "strong" one and it really got to me saying they look out for their employees and so on and at first it was great I got to go to Vancouver for a month all expenses payed. But then they really dint care about us warehouse people we were like the dogs of the company. Always pressuring us to work very long hours and never getting rewards.and when they dropped me like a bag of bricks that shows that the company is kinda slimy.
Pros
cheap staff luches
Cons
Messy managment
Easy-going and mature environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2016
I found Ikea to be a great place to gather experience in the retail world. Everyone knows everyone and is willing to help you no matter what.
Don't appreciate you in the long run.
Recovery Associate/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 October 2015
Good pay and great benefits..... HR is a different story. Some half decent managers but a few should not be at all. Great hours having weekends off and having a 15%discount on purchases was not bad as well.
Great people to work with, good wages, good job culture
Customer service and retail merchandizing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2015
Still have friends from IKEA to this day, fun place to work, great job culture, great employee discount, great shopping
Pros
free coffee, shopping discount
Cons
your spend most of your wages on their great merchandise
Flexible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2015
Flexible. Great co workers who make the job enjoyable. Gets extremely busy at times which is the hardest part of the job. Management is not too bad. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet. Everyday I was interacting with people from different walks of the life which was always interesting.
Good
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2016
Everything is well done. Everyone is great, not a bad position for a student. I would definitely recommend ikea. So much better than walmart
Difficult place to work, always understaffed
Checkout Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2013
Although the culture and values are outlined clearly in the coworkers handbook and signage is prevalent through every store, it is questionable if these values were seen through in a practical fashion.

Typically, a day at work required an intense work pace, as the customer service and cash departments were always very busy, but economical staffing schedules made for many an unpleasant customer experience, while making the employees feel the pressure to work quickly and serve as many customers as possible.

Management always talked about improving work methods to be more proficient. This was a part of the culture at Ikea, but the reality was constant striving to cut overhead costs and increase profits simultaneously. This manifested itself in constant managerial pressure from the very top down. Job advancement takes a long time, years in many cases, such as was my personal experience, and expectations were very demanding once you got into any position of authority.

Coworkers were generally pleasant and hardworking; a testament to Ikeas thorough hiring practices, but because of the strain of the work absenteeism and unwillingness to take on new tasks plagued the staff at the coworker level.

The hardest part of the job was trying to schedule properly, have enough coworkers available for flexibility, and still run my department fluidly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a paycheque.
Pros
discounted lunches, christmas gifts, good people hired.
Cons
high pressure demanding work with little reward for those who worked hard.
Good hours, lazy co-workers
Carts (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2016
Hours were good but hard to adjust availability
Felt like I was never properly trained
Difficult to communicate with other co-workers
Fun workplace
Recovery Co-worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2014
A typical day at work was usually filled with fun and laughter. Everyone in the department enjoyed each others company.

When I left, the management of my department was questionable. The man seemed more focused on asserting his authority and blatant favoritism that his management skills are at best laughable.

The hardest part of the job was the physical labor and massive influx of returned items. There was so many returns that the department did not have enough man power to deal with it all. On many occasions, massive amounts of product went straight to the garbage simply because there were few people to process it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Although there was immense pressure to get the job done, at least there were people around to make jokes with.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
poor management choices, it's WHO you KNOW not what you know
Tv room on break times
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2016
A typical day will be just washing dishes and then taking it out ready for use. I did appreciate working and being recognized as employer of the month.
Pros
$4 lunches
Cons
always short staffed