IKEA
1,019 reviews

IKEA Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Exciting work environment with strong positive values
replenishment/receiving (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2013
-always busy
-friendly staff
-great work environment
-supportive and helpful management
-decent pay
-opportunity for education within the company
-fun work atmosphere
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 5, 2013
Pros: profit sharing day
great place to work, people are great co-workers and managers.
Replenishment (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 20, 2013
Pros: great friends, friendly environment
Cons: little flexablity, to coprate
I did more of an odd job every where kind of position.
hardest part was trying to get consistent hours.
Flexibility was often an issue but was not addressed at all.
all the co-workers were much like a family and everyone got along
Productive Environment
Sales Associate/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), North York, ONMarch 19, 2013
I enjoyed working at Ikea, the staff was friendly, customers were easy-going and appreciative of our assistance.
A fun and high-energy environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, OntarioMarch 9, 2013
Pros: a very organized store
Cons: often approached by customers while on way to break because of our uniforms being so visible.
I valued the marketing approach - the products would be placed directly under the model/display of same. This made the product easy for a customer and a sales associate to find and created optical appeal and higher sales volume.
Difficult place to work, always understaffed
Checkout Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: discounted lunches, christmas gifts, good people hired.
Cons: high pressure demanding work with little reward for those who worked hard.
Although the culture and values are outlined clearly in the coworkers handbook and signage is prevalent through every store, it is questionable if these values were seen through in a practical fashion.

Typically, a day at work required an intense work pace, as the customer service and cash departments were always very busy, but economical staffing – more... schedules made for many an unpleasant customer experience, while making the employees feel the pressure to work quickly and serve as many customers as possible.

Management always talked about improving work methods to be more proficient. This was a part of the culture at Ikea, but the reality was constant striving to cut overhead costs and increase profits simultaneously. This manifested itself in constant managerial pressure from the very top down. Job advancement takes a long time, years in many cases, such as was my personal experience, and expectations were very demanding once you got into any position of authority.

Coworkers were generally pleasant and hardworking; a testament to Ikeas thorough hiring practices, but because of the strain of the work absenteeism and unwillingness to take on new tasks plagued the staff at the coworker level.

The hardest part of the job was trying to schedule properly, have enough coworkers available for flexibility, and still run my department fluidly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a paycheque. – less
Great place to work with fun, awesome coworkers.
Checkout Services Cash Administrator (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: good wage, great benefits, flexibility
Cons: no career advancement
IKEA is a great place to work. They pay good, comparable wages and offer great benefits after one year of employment. As a cash supervisor a typical work day for me would include opening the store, setting up the cash tills and completing the reconciliation. After these tasks are complete I generally do general clerical duties such as responding to – more... emails, responding to phone messages, investigating and completing credit card chargebacks and faxing the results to the financial company.
The management is great, they are approachable and very friendly. They try to help out and make the job as easy as possible.The coworkers are also great people. Everyone is very friendly and approachable. Everyone is very hardworking and always willing to help out if there is any trouble.
The hardest part of my job would have to be disciplining coworkers. I know that it is part of my job, however, it is always hard to tell someone that they are not performing correctly.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers. I am always talking and helping customers and making sure that their needs are met. – less
Great Company to Work for
Cookshop Co-Worker (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Employers are very friendly and lenient. The job is flexible and fun. great for people who enjoy cleaning and organizing.
carts, recovery, full serve, shipping receiving
Customer Service (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 15, 2013
Cons: not f/t
I felt rewardeds at IKEA got many 100% rewards over 10 in 4years
Diversity friendly environment
Customer Service Co-worker (Former Employee), OntarioJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: secure, friendly environment, cheap meals, employee discounts, uniform, recognized company.
Cons: everybody but the managers are part-time, not enough work hours for anyone
Good place to start, respectful to the employees.
Fast-paced environment.
Health insurance.
fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: people, employee discounts
Cons: ugly shirts
Great company and awesome people,we are always very busy
at Ikea which makes the day go by fast.My co workers are fun to be around,I enjoy giving great customer service and the hardest part would be dealing with an unhappy customer but if you approach them with a smile you can usually turn them around.
Loved working with the customer and textiles
Business Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: fast pace
Cons: unable to finish my training do to spousal commitments.
It was a challenge to manage a large department within a strong internal culture. There was a steep learning curve with product knowledge as well as Ikea Culture.
One of the better retail stores to work at
Ikea Carts Supervisor (Former Employee), North YorkDecember 18, 2012
This place has gone downhill and they keep on finding ways to cut corners at the expense of its long time workers. Too many times management has no clue what its doing and I've worked here for 3 years only to find they insistently hire ineffective managers who are more lost than the workers themselves.

However this is a generally friendly environment – more... to work in and that Ikea team spirit can still sometimes be felt. Just don't expect to make a lot of money even if you are lucky to get in as a fulltimer – less
Fast paced environment, family oriented, fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2012
Pros: excellent private lunch room, hot meals for only $4.00. great xmas and summer party provided free! bonuses, fun days out are organized from time to time.
Cons: very physical, alot of walking, lifting, and of course building. if you don't like noise and kids, it can be overwhelming. you have to get used to very physical labour!
I really have nothing bad to say about Ikea. You must love kids though! The training is very good, they treat their employees well, with good benefits. Good staff discount!
Productive Workplace
Full Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Full time) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2012
Pros: free lunch on busy days, staff cafe, staff discount, flexible hours
Cons: staff shortage
Day to day duties consisted of picking orders for customers from the shelf to piece together orders, such as kitchens, sofas, or room sets. Through out working in the warehouse I gained lots of computer system knowledge and inventory tracking systems as well as forklift experience as well as shipping and receiving. Management was fairly good for the – more... most part when everyone was on the same page. Some days were completely unorganized and daily tasks would not be completed. Hardest part of the job would have been days when the team did not have all the resources it could have causing incomplete tasks, accidents, or lost items. The most enjoyable part of working at IKEA was how everyone could come together to complete what was needed but only when it was at a critical point. Otherwise driving forklift and working on large scale orders was nice. – less
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service (Current Employee), VaughanNovember 26, 2012
All of the amazing people I have met over the years. Managers, co-workers and customers.
Project Team
Project Team (Current Employee), KenastonOctober 29, 2012
Ikea is still currently under development. It is the biggest Ikea within Canada.
Retail part-time
Logistics Administrator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 18, 2012
Good part-time job. Flexible work schedule was a positive.
Government co-op position.
Logistics Administrator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 18, 2012
Typical government position. Good co-op position. Happy for the experience.
Great job,lots ofativites for workers
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2012
This is a good ompany to work for the pay is great and the people tha you work with are all very supportivate.

I enjoyed every part of this job

About IKEA

IKEA is a Swedish company registered in the Netherlands that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture (such as beds, chairs, – Read more