IKEA Employee Reviews

Excellent wor place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2016
Thumps up ! My rule of life is work to your best and one day you will get paid for it. Just do it! Give your best and result will appear in any form or shape.
What's its like.
Self-Serve Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 March 2014
Working at IKEA helped me develop people skills as well as being flexible for the customers as their needs vary from one to the next. The hardest part of the job i'd say is to keep everyone satisfied.
Pros
Good salary and flexible hours for students.
Cons
A lot a evening shifts.
Very friendly work environment and simple.
Restocking, handling merchandises and sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2016
Coworkers are pretty nice and friendly. Management can be pretty clique.

Work is pretty steady and easy until rush hour hits but very manageable.

Hardest part of the job is probably on a really busy day things can get hectic.
Pros
Lunches are cheap, steady work to get by the day
Cons
pretty bad shifts at times
Outstanding Company to work for
Office Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 December 2015
A tropical day at work was busy, fast pace environment totally enjoyed it. I learned about different office proceedures, management was outstanding, co-workers were helpful, hardest part of the job was understanding the IKEA way of running a business, very interesting way. Most enjoyable part of the job was the environment was clean, enjoyable.
Pros
10% off merchandise! friendly staff.
Cons
Only part time work
Ideal workplace, great experience
Carts and CarryOut (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg12 May 2015
I worked at IKEA for just under a year, but I wish that circumstances allowed me to stay longer. A great corporate culture (a little cult-like, but still) of investing in the employee experience made a great work environment. Management was friendly and helpful, as were co-workers. A lot is expected of you on shift, but breaks are all but enforced and work-life balance encouraged.
Dishwasher review IKEA
Restaurant Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 April 2016
great starting job good work ethic nice people good student high school job good training. supportive co-workers the training was good.
Fantastic working with IKEA Canada
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A31 March 2016
IKEA Canada personnel were very professional and knowledgeable. I've worked on 6 projects with IKEA Canada to date and there is more work to follow in the future!
Great opportunities for those willing to travel
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver12 June 2013
World class global retailer with a variety of opportunities, rapidly expanding in India and China. Range of opportunities in sales, logistics, design, customer service. High volume retail is hard work, but there is a great variety of career paths for a dynamic individual.

Coworkers are great, you develop strong relationships with your fellow team members. It is an organisation where you will work long hours and it is a seven day a week operation.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Need to be available many days of week hour in day
Bad management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond bc12 June 2013
Managers are bullies. No respect from supervisors and leads.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Slave drivers
Great Workplace with great people
Self Serve Coworker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 June 2015
A typical day at work involves aiding customers and solving any issues they may have. We work as a team to keep the store in good order and to condense space for more products to be brought onto the sales floor. The managers in my department are the best I have ever had. My manager is one of the genuine persons I have had the pleasure of meeting. She is constantly asking for my feedback on how we can improve around the workplace, and she is also striving to help me meet my career goals. All of my co-workers are extremely helpful and are enjoyable to be around. The most enjoyable part of my job is the staff around me. The hardest part of the job is pleasing everyone because some customers will be unhappy no matter the circumstances. Everyone is like minded and striving to accomplish the same task.
prouctive work place
warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 February 2016
its a very big place had a lot of stocking to do the manager are very col and laid back you don t have to worry about getting stressed out about over working yourself people are always will to lend a hand
Fast pace, kinda boring. Fun people to work with
Carts Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2016
Ikea was a good place to work. The job was fast pace and kept me busy. The co-workers and the manager however, made the job for me.
Pros
$4 buffet. Free for busier days
Cons
Rude customers
Fun work place with many social events
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  9090 cavendish9 September 2015
The morning started with a meeting before phone lines opened up. Our call center was the main call center responsible for all 12 stores across Canada. In customer service we received many calls from store hours, to if item was still in stock. Our resolution department it was for delivery inquiries to missing items from delivery and item being received damaged, etc.
Pros
friendly environment with a fully stock kitchen
Cons
management was changing and leaving groups with no teamleaders
Great place to work for
Goods Flow Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2016
I enjoy working for Ikea. Nice employees and good environment. Overall, great experience. I would recommend anyone to work for Ikea
Social & Experience Benefits; Awful Management
Carts & Carryout Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2014
Working with customers was (almost) always one of the best parts of the job, even with the few bad apples you'd get. And you do end up learning a few things about working the job. You meet some great people who feel unified because of the cultural aspect of the job. Lastly, you make money...

However, management was the biggest pain in the behind. Favoritism, neglect, selective memory, non-stop excuses, false assumptions about your work behavior, borderline-authoritarian rules, unwillingness to hear and/or heed the opinions/concerns/suggestions of the department, clashing of different orders/tasks from different managers, and emotional/professional manipulation are just SOME of the things you'll experience from the managers in this store. It made the job extremely stressful to say the least.

I often worked by myself, even on busy days, in spite of the fact that the job required a minimum of two people for the tasks to be done efficiently and properly. Many people were no-shows or called in sick to avoid the work, and while I couldn't blame them because of the work conditions, it made my life that much harder. It was a battle just to stay employed in spite of the rather lousy work conditions for the department. Anxiety was a growing concern for me as I would always dread the shifts where I'd have to put up with the more negative aspects of the job, which was more often than not.

No appreciation was given for my near-flawless attendance record, even with the odd late arrival due to problems with transit. None was given for my willingness to fill in hours that were needed.
  more... Information was constantly withheld from me; I was sometimes made to feel bad for mistakes that could have been corrected with additional staffing in my shifts; the equipment for the job was lousy and just barely worked, often failing or stalling at the worst of times, yet because of bureaucratic red-tape, nothing has been modestly repaired since the beginning of the year; cost-cutting measures and a cryptic, seemingly restrictive budget limited staffing & scheduling abilities; empty promises and shallow assurances from the upper echelons of management; lower-management (such as Duty Managers) would try to pawn off their duties on you any chance they'd get, in spite of how busy YOU were trying to get the job done, you know, the one you were being paid for.  less
Pros
Annual raises, meeting people, strong culture, higher-than-average retail wage
Cons
The MANAGERS!, constant battle for hours, unnecessary stress, faulty equipment, no-shows all the time, scatterbrained shifts

Comment – December 23, 2014

One manager in particular would place blame on me for whenever another co-worker would have the radio (such as when I would be on breaks) and refused to answer the radio when called to assist a customer. This happened because they associated me with having the radio, simply because I worked the most hours and thus usually had the radio on my person; that's simply it, the blame was based on assumption rather than investigation. And I do mean REFUSE, because everyone hated holding onto the radio and avoided the customer-service angle of the job whenever they could.

Anyway, one night, immediately after returning from a break, whereby I had left the radio with my other closing co-worker, one after another the floor managers converged on me getting angry about no one coming to help customers with their loadouts. The duty manager came out berating me, lecturing me about how I do my work, and when I had the chance to I pointed out that I didn't even have the radio the whole time they were trying to get customer assistance; my co-worker couldn't hear the radio while collecting carts in the lot, while I was on my fifteen-minute break.

Half of all closing shifts I've ever done would be done alone or with someone who would do next to nothing to deserve their pay, usually standing around and slowly pushing carts back into the building. But they needed someone to blame for the problems of the department and because of how often I worked, and I worked my behind off, they used me as their scapegoat. I am glad that I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore, ever since my last day.

Fun and Enjoyable company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 December 2015
I love working at Ikea because of its diversity of employees.

Everyday is different. Full of challenges due to the variety of people that shops there.

Management is amazing to its employees and work ethic is strong.
Great part time job during high school.
Full Serve Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta14 October 2015
Easily the friendliest place in Calgary!
IKEA is a great company with fun & happy coworkers.
it felt like i was part of a team that cared foe each other.
The management was filled of smart caring individuals that understood the importance of schooling.
Pros
coworkers / the pay / the flexibility
Cons
Amazing workplace with fun and outgoing staff!
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 June 2015
Great place to work with unlimited opportunity for advancement. Great management staff and fun co-workers. Always a good time and the staff feels more like a family culture than co-workers.
Easy-going and mature environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2016
I found Ikea to be a great place to gather experience in the retail world. Everyone knows everyone and is willing to help you no matter what.
Good
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2016
Everything is well done. Everyone is great, not a bad position for a student. I would definitely recommend ikea. So much better than walmart