IKEA Employee Reviews in Canada

Flexible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 31, 2015
Flexible. Great co workers who make the job enjoyable. Gets extremely busy at times which is the hardest part of the job. Management is not too bad. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet. Everyday I was interacting with people from different walks of the life which was always interesting.
IKEA
Ikea line cook (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 20, 2015
a typical day at work consists of dealing over hundreds of customers a day and as a line cook I must prepare food on time for hundreds of customers. Its a very clean environment and must be well groomed.
Working for IKEA
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 4, 2015
Although IKEA sells themselves in the orientation process, working for them was the worst 5 months of my life. It's strenuous on the body, they schedule you every weekend no matter what and they don't give you the proper information to actually do your job.

Worst place to work, do not apply.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
hard work, long hours, terrible communication, rude people
Fast pace envirnment with supportive co workers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 18, 2012
Typical day- managing un expected peak alone during weekend
Learned about Ikea culture and hotline activities at restaurant
Management-Is fine. Helpful most of the time
Co worker- mostly helpful and active
Hardest part- managing un expected peak alone sometime during weekend and changing schedules
Enjoyable part- Fast and speed with challenge
Pros
benefits and offers
Cons
non fixed shift patern
Great place to work with fun, awesome coworkers.
Checkout Services Cash Administrator (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2013
IKEA is a great place to work. They pay good, comparable wages and offer great benefits after one year of employment. As a cash supervisor a typical work day for me would include opening the store, setting up the cash tills and completing the reconciliation. After these tasks are complete I generally do general clerical duties such as responding to emails, responding to phone messages, investigating and completing credit card chargebacks and faxing the results to the financial company.
The management is great, they are approachable and very friendly. They try to help out and make the job as easy as possible.The coworkers are also great people. Everyone is very friendly and approachable. Everyone is very hardworking and always willing to help out if there is any trouble.
The hardest part of my job would have to be disciplining coworkers. I know that it is part of my job, however, it is always hard to tell someone that they are not performing correctly.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers. I am always talking and helping customers and making sure that their needs are met.
Pros
good wage, great benefits, flexibility
Cons
no career advancement
very good experience
Dishwasher, part-time (Former Employee) –  edmontonSeptember 30, 2015
learning new things,, good experience
i was learning stuff that would help me in the future
it was a full time job
it was also a challenge at some point
Fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2015
amazing work environment, good people, lost of learning, great policy's. Understanding their customers and fulfilling their needs and wants.
Pros
flexible
Fast paced environment, family oriented, fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2012
I really have nothing bad to say about Ikea. You must love kids though! The training is very good, they treat their employees well, with good benefits. Good staff discount!
Pros
excellent private lunch room, hot meals for only $4.00. great xmas and summer party provided free! bonuses, fun days out are organized from time to time.
Cons
very physical, alot of walking, lifting, and of course building. if you don't like noise and kids, it can be overwhelming. you have to get used to very physical labour!
my work place
Housekeeping and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 2, 2014
I am a hard worker but my company didn't see this they want to take all our benifits and reduse our hours. When i started in this company they are very good and have a big heart but time goes by they change until now we are outside fighting for our right. I have a good co worker and most of them is long in this company. I enjoy in my job so much because all my co worker is really kind and friendly.
typical day
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 22, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. decent amount of hours per employee. Tries to accommodate to different situations.
Pros
time shifts
Cons
hours
Actually enjoyed working
Interior Design Co-worker (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, onJuly 21, 2015
It's hard finding places these days that you can actually enjoy working at. I was doing co-op at the Ikea Burlington for my final month of college. I did a wide range of different jobs while under the interior communications department. Although the thing is that the position for the interior design hardly comes available to due popularity.
Organized and well managed
Mechanical/ Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
A fun place to work. New and interesting things daily. Friendly staff. Employee discounts. Pleasing environment for the customers. Cleanliness was tops.
very productive and friendly place.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
fun and productive work place, I learned many things from other co-workers and also from my team leader and manager. their come from all over the world with many different background, yet we still can work as a great team.
the hardest part would be the hours (since it's a over night shift).
and the most enjoyable part is the feeling i had when we can get the job done 100%. because we know, although each of us have our own responsibility but still we work as a team. and it's such a great felling if we can reach the team goal than just our individual goal.
Pros
free beverages, relax room and employe discount.
Cons
part-time status
efficient and productive work area
server/ hot prep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 10, 2015
Ikea has a very busy atmosphere, an individual must be alert and must be able to make quick decisions. Ikea has a wonderful team of staff that look out for each other. The hardest part of working at Ikea is the busy atmosphere and low number of staffs provided to do the work that must be carried out.
What's its like.
Self-Serve Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 10, 2014
Working at IKEA helped me develop people skills as well as being flexible for the customers as their needs vary from one to the next. The hardest part of the job i'd say is to keep everyone satisfied.
Pros
good salary and flexible hours for students.
Cons
a lot a evening shifts.
co workers
parking lot assistance (Former Employee) –  torontoJuly 31, 2015
i had a co worker that always made sure i was ok on the job always willing to help as a team member never had no problems all around i would say ikea is a team based work place
Social & Experience Benefits; Awful Management
Carts & Carryout Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2014
Working with customers was (almost) always one of the best parts of the job, even with the few bad apples you'd get. And you do end up learning a few things about working the job. You meet some great people who feel unified because of the cultural aspect of the job. Lastly, you make money...

However, management was the biggest pain in the behind. Favoritism, neglect, selective memory, non-stop excuses, false assumptions about your work behavior, borderline-authoritarian rules, unwillingness to hear and/or heed the opinions/concerns/suggestions of the department, clashing of different orders/tasks from different managers, and emotional/professional manipulation are just SOME of the things you'll experience from the managers in this store. It made the job extremely stressful to say the least.

I often worked by myself, even on busy days, in spite of the fact that the job required a minimum of two people for the tasks to be done efficiently and properly. Many people were no-shows or called in sick to avoid the work, and while I couldn't blame them because of the work conditions, it made my life that much harder. It was a battle just to stay employed in spite of the rather lousy work conditions for the department. Anxiety was a growing concern for me as I would always dread the shifts where I'd have to put up with the more negative aspects of the job, which was more often than not.

No appreciation was given for my near-flawless attendance record, even with the odd late arrival due to problems with transit. None was given for my willingness to fill in hours that were needed. Information
  more... was constantly withheld from me; I was sometimes made to feel bad for mistakes that could have been corrected with additional staffing in my shifts; the equipment for the job was lousy and just barely worked, often failing or stalling at the worst of times, yet because of bureaucratic red-tape, nothing has been modestly repaired since the beginning of the year; cost-cutting measures and a cryptic, seemingly restrictive budget limited staffing & scheduling abilities; empty promises and shallow assurances from the upper echelons of management; lower-management (such as Duty Managers) would try to pawn off their duties on you any chance they'd get, in spite of how busy YOU were trying to get the job done, you know, the one you were being paid for.  less
Pros
annual raises, meeting people, strong culture, higher-than-average retail wage
Cons
the managers!, constant battle for hours, unnecessary stress, faulty equipment, no-shows all the time, scatterbrained shifts

Comment – December 23, 2014

One manager in particular would place blame on me for whenever another co-worker would have the radio (such as when I would be on breaks) and refused to answer the radio when called to assist a customer. This happened because they associated me with having the radio, simply because I worked the most hours and thus usually had the radio on my person; that's simply it, the blame was based on assumption rather than investigation. And I do mean REFUSE, because everyone hated holding onto the radio and avoided the customer-service angle of the job whenever they could. Anyway, one night, immediately after returning from a break, whereby I had left the radio with my other closing co-worker, one after another the floor managers converged on me getting angry about no one coming to help customers with their loadouts. The duty manager came out berating me, lecturing me about how I do my work, and when I had the chance to I pointed out that I didn't even have the radio the whole time they were trying to get customer assistance; my co-worker couldn't hear the radio while collecting carts in the lot, while I was on my fifteen-minute break. Half of all closing shifts I've ever done would be done alone or with someone who would do next to nothing to deserve their pay, usually standing around and slowly pushing carts back into the building. But they needed someone to blame for the problems of the department and because of how often I worked, and I worked my behind off, they used me as their scapegoat. I am glad that I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore, ever since my last day.

Productive and fun workplace
Coordonnateur au recrutement (Current Employee) –  BrossardJuly 23, 2015
I learn a lot from my co-workers, i had the chance to be autonomous in a lot of task. I really enjoy the workplace. Now i'm in a better position to manage process.
Work Summary
Strategic Business Analyst: Management (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 7, 2015
I analyze sales trends and focus on lowering existing cost on a monthly basis. I prepare and review the Profit and Loss Statement to in turn examine the impacts of the overall business. I then take this analysis and consult with the management team on the potential opportunities they can take to maximize revenue and create efficiency. Overall, I am a contributor to the management team as an analyst to for better working business strategies
friendly staff very .very helpfull
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 26, 2015
fast paced work
learned the ins and outs of being a team player
learned great orginiation skills