IKEA

IKEA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Secure position, great pay, close staff
Cashier/Restaurant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 27, 2013
Ikea was a great job. I enjoyed the hours, my co-workers, and the customer service I provided.
The most difficult part of this job was the busy season, working overtime at last minute and trying to get the rush down.
The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers.
A typical day would include food prep, cash register, food display, dining room – more... runs (clearing tables, cleaning dining hall). Doing food prep for the next day, serving customers, cashing out at the end of the day. – less
Friendly, safe working enviroment.
Part-Time Employee (Current Employee), North York, ONJuly 8, 2013
Pros: free pop
Care for the employees, just as much as they care for making sales and serving customers.
The best place anyone can work!
Restauraunt Staff (Former Employee), OttawaJune 21, 2013
Pros: ikea staff parties!
Cons: none.
-Very busy place to work!
-You meet lots of different people at IKEA.
-Management is awesome!
-Co-workers were the best team mates ever!
-The kitchen gets really hot at times!
-Talking to all different types of customers and hearing their feedback about the products.
Exciting place to work with great coworkers and management
Loss Prevention Administrator (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJune 17, 2013
Pros: coworker meal subsidy
Great place with great people. Lots of opportunity for career advancement.
Bad management
Sales (Former Employee), Richmond bcJune 12, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: slave drivers
Managers are bullies. No respect from supervisors and leads.
The best job i ever had.
Returns & Exchange Associate/Coordinator (Former Employee), etobicoke,ontarioJune 12, 2013
Pros: everything
This company truly treats their coworkers with respect and intergity, i started working there when i was 16, and i should have never left.
Great opportunities for those willing to travel
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee), VancouverJune 12, 2013
Pros: employee discount
Cons: need to be available many days of week hour in day
World class global retailer with a variety of opportunities, rapidly expanding in India and China. Range of opportunities in sales, logistics, design, customer service. High volume retail is hard work, but there is a great variety of career paths for a dynamic individual.

Coworkers are great, you develop strong relationships with your fellow team members. – more... It is an organisation where you will work long hours and it is a seven day a week operation. – less
Slow and boring work, coworkers and managers are very unfriendly
Warehouse worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 3, 2013
Horrible management, very disorganized. I do a task and get yelled at by a different manager for doing said task. I had hours missing from my check many times and HR refused to do anything about it.
Great job, Poor management
Logistics (Full Serve) Personnel (Former Employee), EtobicokeMay 7, 2013
Pros: benefits, social outings
Cons: inconsistent hours
IKEA is such a busy place it's really difficult to see the fruits of your labor, especially with the way management is set up.
all the co-workers got a long great and were really supportive both personally and professionally. with a system that was always changing, consistency with goods flow was difficult but manageable. IKEA strives to learn and become – more... more efficient in what they do. it is a very diverse company and despite it's size is doing a great job to be environmentally friendly – less
Ikea's work atmosphere
Self-Serve Warehouse Co-worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2013
Pros: $1 breakfasts and great co-workers
I would come in work really fast and hard in order to have the stock ready before the opening of the store. Ikea has taught me that working hard toward a similar goal can give motivation to anyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with my co-worker as we stock the racks full of products coming from the trucks.
Variety of opportunities to learn and to grow
Canada Ltd .Partner (Current Employee), Richmond, BCApril 29, 2013
This is a part-time position.
•a typical day at work -only 4 hours, couple times a week
•what you learned- cash, serving technics
•management- positive and open to the dialog
•your co-workers- multicultural, of different age-groups as well
•the hardest part of the job- to leave
•the most enjoyable part of the job-to come.
Very busy company
Cashier (Current Employee), North York, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: employee discount, affordable lunches in employee room
Cons: outdated computers and procedures
Each day I would work on either a self check-out section or a traditional cash lane. When working a traditional cash lane each individual is responsible for for their own cash float and balancing at the end of a shift. The job is very simple but made to be more difficult than needed due to their outdated computer systems and procedures. This makes it – more... difficult because I believe in providing customers with a high level of customer service but without proper systems it is not easy to do. Ikea is a company known for a multi-cultural work environment and high standards for equality resulting in a good work environment. – less
Exciting work environment with strong positive values
replenishment/receiving (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2013
-always busy
-friendly staff
-great work environment
-supportive and helpful management
-decent pay
-opportunity for education within the company
-fun work atmosphere
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 5, 2013
Pros: profit sharing day
great place to work, people are great co-workers and managers.
Replenishment (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 20, 2013
Pros: great friends, friendly environment
Cons: little flexablity, to coprate
I did more of an odd job every where kind of position.
hardest part was trying to get consistent hours.
Flexibility was often an issue but was not addressed at all.
all the co-workers were much like a family and everyone got along
Productive Environment
Sales Associate/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), North York, ONMarch 19, 2013
I enjoyed working at Ikea, the staff was friendly, customers were easy-going and appreciative of our assistance.
A fun and high-energy environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, OntarioMarch 9, 2013
Pros: a very organized store
Cons: often approached by customers while on way to break because of our uniforms being so visible.
I valued the marketing approach - the products would be placed directly under the model/display of same. This made the product easy for a customer and a sales associate to find and created optical appeal and higher sales volume.
Difficult place to work, always understaffed
Checkout Services Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: discounted lunches, christmas gifts, good people hired.
Cons: high pressure demanding work with little reward for those who worked hard.
Although the culture and values are outlined clearly in the coworkers handbook and signage is prevalent through every store, it is questionable if these values were seen through in a practical fashion.

Typically, a day at work required an intense work pace, as the customer service and cash departments were always very busy, but economical staffing – more... schedules made for many an unpleasant customer experience, while making the employees feel the pressure to work quickly and serve as many customers as possible.

Management always talked about improving work methods to be more proficient. This was a part of the culture at Ikea, but the reality was constant striving to cut overhead costs and increase profits simultaneously. This manifested itself in constant managerial pressure from the very top down. Job advancement takes a long time, years in many cases, such as was my personal experience, and expectations were very demanding once you got into any position of authority.

Coworkers were generally pleasant and hardworking; a testament to Ikeas thorough hiring practices, but because of the strain of the work absenteeism and unwillingness to take on new tasks plagued the staff at the coworker level.

The hardest part of the job was trying to schedule properly, have enough coworkers available for flexibility, and still run my department fluidly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a paycheque. – less
Great place to work with fun, awesome coworkers.
Checkout Services Cash Administrator (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: good wage, great benefits, flexibility
Cons: no career advancement
IKEA is a great place to work. They pay good, comparable wages and offer great benefits after one year of employment. As a cash supervisor a typical work day for me would include opening the store, setting up the cash tills and completing the reconciliation. After these tasks are complete I generally do general clerical duties such as responding to – more... emails, responding to phone messages, investigating and completing credit card chargebacks and faxing the results to the financial company.
The management is great, they are approachable and very friendly. They try to help out and make the job as easy as possible.The coworkers are also great people. Everyone is very friendly and approachable. Everyone is very hardworking and always willing to help out if there is any trouble.
The hardest part of my job would have to be disciplining coworkers. I know that it is part of my job, however, it is always hard to tell someone that they are not performing correctly.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers. I am always talking and helping customers and making sure that their needs are met. – less
Great Company to Work for
Cookshop Co-Worker (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Employers are very friendly and lenient. The job is flexible and fun. great for people who enjoy cleaning and organizing.

About IKEA

IKEA is a Swedish company registered in the Netherlands that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture (such as beds, chairs, – Read more