IKEA Employee Reviews

Excellent wor place.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 1, 2016
Thumps up ! My rule of life is work to your best and one day you will get paid for it. Just do it! Give your best and result will appear in any form or shape.
Great job, Poor management
Logistics (Full Serve) Personnel (Former Employee) –  EtobicokeMay 7, 2013
IKEA is such a busy place it's really difficult to see the fruits of your labor, especially with the way management is set up.
all the co-workers got a long great and were really supportive both personally and professionally. with a system that was always changing, consistency with goods flow was difficult but manageable. IKEA strives to learn and become more efficient in what they do. it is a very diverse company and despite it's size is doing a great job to be environmentally friendly
Pros
benefits, social outings
Cons
inconsistent hours
Fantastic working with IKEA Canada
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/AMarch 31, 2016
IKEA Canada personnel were very professional and knowledgeable. I've worked on 6 projects with IKEA Canada to date and there is more work to follow in the future!
Dishwasher review IKEA
Restaurant Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 10, 2016
great starting job good work ethic nice people good student high school job good training. supportive co-workers the training was good.
Fast pace envirnment with supportive co workers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 18, 2012
Typical day- managing un expected peak alone during weekend
Learned about Ikea culture and hotline activities at restaurant
Management-Is fine. Helpful most of the time
Co worker- mostly helpful and active
Hardest part- managing un expected peak alone sometime during weekend and changing schedules
Enjoyable part- Fast and speed with challenge
Pros
benefits and offers
Cons
non fixed shift patern
Good Prices/Nice Co Workers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJune 1, 2015
I worked for Ikea for about four years. When I first worked their it was great. It was fun and the employees were treated great. Ikea lost their HR manager and it all went down hill from their. I stayed because of the hours I got and I was able to take my kids to and from school. I had one manager that was great when I started and understood about Job Work/Life Balance. However, the good ones often leave and she did.

Management changed and I stayed as long as I needed to. I even tried a few different areas. I appreciated the great hours at the beginning and a great HR manager. It seems for me it is always about poor management and micromanaging. I am the kind of person that likes to be given a job and left to do it. I could do this for the most part as a cashier. I really enjoyed the customers and loved going the extra mile. I enjoy learning from other people!

The hardest part of the job were the managers in the cash office. That is all I have to say about that!
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Poor management
Great place to work with fun, awesome coworkers.
Checkout Services Cash Administrator (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 4, 2013
IKEA is a great place to work. They pay good, comparable wages and offer great benefits after one year of employment. As a cash supervisor a typical work day for me would include opening the store, setting up the cash tills and completing the reconciliation. After these tasks are complete I generally do general clerical duties such as responding to emails, responding to phone messages, investigating and completing credit card chargebacks and faxing the results to the financial company.
The management is great, they are approachable and very friendly. They try to help out and make the job as easy as possible.The coworkers are also great people. Everyone is very friendly and approachable. Everyone is very hardworking and always willing to help out if there is any trouble.
The hardest part of my job would have to be disciplining coworkers. I know that it is part of my job, however, it is always hard to tell someone that they are not performing correctly.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers. I am always talking and helping customers and making sure that their needs are met.
Pros
good wage, great benefits, flexibility
Cons
no career advancement
Horrid place to work! Depressing environment.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2016
When I started here I was 110% enthusiastic in making it work. By the end I was broken down faster than their furniture and I only lasted a little longer than 6 months.

Myself and an other guy were hired at same time and he just quit without notice in less than three months.

They preach Ikea propaganda they don't back up or stand behind. You will have every employee as your boss knit picking and watching your every move.

Most all employees in area I worked were emotionless Zombies with chips on their shoulders. Very clicky group of miserable acting people not happy with their job. Every morning I heard screaming and yelling profanity at each from drivers on the dock.

Jump start meetings every morning that are useless dribble with useless information on how many trailers you have to work that day. After a while you will just hear blah blah blah. Wasted time and brain numbing verbal garbage from power tripping employees who like to hear themselves talk.

Be prepared for a workout and to start sweating profusely for 5 hours of your shift because they turn the Air conditioning off until the store opens at 10. I hated being drenched and hot working in sweat drenched clothes lifting heavy product.

I hope you like working in the dark because they also dim the lights to save pennies on the dollar until store opens at 10. Go figure that products are put in wrong places by employees who can't see product codes in the dark.

You will have many bosses and who one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.Your always struggling where to put product that isn't needed and
  more... product needed that is never ordered.

You will also have the pleasure of listening to the same bogus music and announcements that are played over and over and over again. It will make you insane faster than crazy house

Its was a unstructured Gong show that left me depressed and to quit without notice. It's better you keep this horrid place off your resume. It is a depressing and unhealthy environment to work. I've never felt better for quitting a job in my life.
Pros
Free pop when available
Cons
Phoney uncaring management
prouctive work place
warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 11, 2016
its a very big place had a lot of stocking to do the manager are very col and laid back you don t have to worry about getting stressed out about over working yourself people are always will to lend a hand
Fast pace, kinda boring. Fun people to work with
Carts Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Ikea was a good place to work. The job was fast pace and kept me busy. The co-workers and the manager however, made the job for me.
Pros
$4 buffet. Free for busier days
Cons
Rude customers
Fast paced environment, family oriented, fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2012
I really have nothing bad to say about Ikea. You must love kids though! The training is very good, they treat their employees well, with good benefits. Good staff discount!
Pros
excellent private lunch room, hot meals for only $4.00. great xmas and summer party provided free! bonuses, fun days out are organized from time to time.
Cons
very physical, alot of walking, lifting, and of course building. if you don't like noise and kids, it can be overwhelming. you have to get used to very physical labour!
Great place to work for
Goods Flow Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I enjoy working for Ikea. Nice employees and good environment. Overall, great experience. I would recommend anyone to work for Ikea
Fun and Enjoyable company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ONDecember 8, 2015
I love working at Ikea because of its diversity of employees.

Everyday is different. Full of challenges due to the variety of people that shops there.

Management is amazing to its employees and work ethic is strong.
Easy-going and mature environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 31, 2016
I found Ikea to be a great place to gather experience in the retail world. Everyone knows everyone and is willing to help you no matter what.
my work place
Housekeeping and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 2, 2014
I am a hard worker but my company didn't see this they want to take all our benifits and reduse our hours. When i started in this company they are very good and have a big heart but time goes by they change until now we are outside fighting for our right. I have a good co worker and most of them is long in this company. I enjoy in my job so much because all my co worker is really kind and friendly.
Ideal workplace, great experience
Carts and CarryOut (Former Employee) –  WinnipegMay 12, 2015
I worked at IKEA for just under a year, but I wish that circumstances allowed me to stay longer. A great corporate culture (a little cult-like, but still) of investing in the employee experience made a great work environment. Management was friendly and helpful, as were co-workers. A lot is expected of you on shift, but breaks are all but enforced and work-life balance encouraged.
Fun work place with many social events
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  9090 cavendishSeptember 9, 2015
The morning started with a meeting before phone lines opened up. Our call center was the main call center responsible for all 12 stores across Canada. In customer service we received many calls from store hours, to if item was still in stock. Our resolution department it was for delivery inquiries to missing items from delivery and item being received damaged, etc.
Pros
friendly environment with a fully stock kitchen
Cons
management was changing and leaving groups with no teamleaders
Great part time job during high school.
Full Serve Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaOctober 14, 2015
Easily the friendliest place in Calgary!
IKEA is a great company with fun & happy coworkers.
it felt like i was part of a team that cared foe each other.
The management was filled of smart caring individuals that understood the importance of schooling.
Pros
coworkers / the pay / the flexibility
Cons
Good
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Everything is well done. Everyone is great, not a bad position for a student. I would definitely recommend ikea. So much better than walmart
Tv room on break times
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day will be just washing dishes and then taking it out ready for use. I did appreciate working and being recognized as employer of the month.
Pros
$4 lunches
Cons
always short staffed