IKEA Employee Reviews

Self Serve Warehouse Sales
Self-service Warehouse - Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2017
Out of all the big box retailers in Winnipeg, IKEA would be the absolute best. I have never worked for a company that cared so much for their employees as much as IKEA did. Would recommend to anyone looking to apply.
Productive and fun workplace
Aftersales Resolutions Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 January 2017
Productive and fun workplace.....Team leaders and managers have you best interest at heart.....Coworkers will rally to help you when you are in a crisis
fun workplace environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
everyone was very helpful it didn't matter what kind of day you were having there was always someone there to make sure that your fine the hardest part of the job was when it was weekend of a holiday it was very busy but there was always help
Good environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON26 December 2016
Good coworkers who were supportive and reasonable with unreasonable and rude customers. Able to give input on work culture. Fun work environment where you really learn patience.
Great co-workers and management makes working enjoyable.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 December 2016
Warehouse picking orders, packing, cleaning, helping others, training, box making, label printing, shrink wrapping, strapping, cardboard box shredding
Pros
Security and benefits
Cons
heavy lifting
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 December 2016
I had fun working there, nice ambiance and great people! They are all social persons, great with customers in every departments. The managers are very nice, they like helping us in getting to know the system. Perhaps, they are very strict about everything.
Pros
When there was a rush we had free lunch
Fast paced work
part time Kitchen worker and server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 December 2016
A typical day at work would entail a different role. Each time. I worked in the back of the kitchen handling dishes, cleaning tables as well as serving of hot meals to IKEA customers. A challenge I sometimes faced would be the fast paced shifts would become so busy leading us to become a bit organised. I feel I used my problem solving skills and communication skills to discuss with fellow co workers about what needed to be done. Over all I would say the experience taught me perseverance and I would work there again.
Great workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff17 November 2016
Great enjoyable workplace but growing career opportunities are limited.
However management is friendly and work environment is stress free
Opinion
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
A typical day at work is usually busy in the weekends. What I learned is that Ikea is a great company to work with because it provides good benefits. The co-workers I work with are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get complimented by the customers with my work ethic and also my good customer service.
Pros
benefits for part- time
Cons
having to stand up for long period
Productive, kind and understanding workplace.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 November 2016
Everyone has a smile on there face, and its a nice play to work because you can be yourself without feeling uncomfortable.
Overall, a stable place to work.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2016
I was not happy with the amount of hours I was given, as I had to juggle my hours with work and school. Sometimes, I would just have too much work to handle for a working student.
Great fun company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 October 2016
Great place to work, met and still have many great friends I met there, weekly hours not great. They don't gaurentee full time hours to PT, but it is possible to pick up shifts. Great as a part time job.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Weekends/hours
Great company to develop various competences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 October 2016
1) Good for students to be working part time and manage school/work balance
2) Company that gives a lot of opportunity to grow and to apply to more important positions. Company's visions is clear and easy to apply.
Ikea North York
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
The store I work at is the busiest in the city and one pf the busiest in the country. There is always a lack of coworkers on busy periods and managers make you stay late. The pay is very low for such a huge retailer and the location is hardly accessible.
Horrible delivery counter managers
Delivery counter (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC21 September 2016
The bosses who work at the delivery counter suck. They are so rude to the employees and walk around like they know everything!!! One in particular i have lots of hateful words for her. She makes coming into work horrible. Do yourself a favor if you work for ikea dont work by the delivery counter you'll regret every minute of it
Pros
Ikea discount on food and drivers are funny
Cons
Horrid place to work! Depressing environment.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2016
When I started here I was 110% enthusiastic in making it work. By the end I was broken down faster than their furniture and I only lasted a little longer than 6 months.

Myself and an other guy were hired at same time and he just quit without notice in less than three months.

They preach Ikea propaganda they don't back up or stand behind. You will have every employee as your boss knit picking and watching your every move.

Most all employees in area I worked were emotionless Zombies with chips on their shoulders. Very clicky group of miserable acting people not happy with their job. Every morning I heard screaming and yelling profanity at each from drivers on the dock.

Jump start meetings every morning that are useless dribble with useless information on how many trailers you have to work that day. After a while you will just hear blah blah blah. Wasted time and brain numbing verbal garbage from power tripping employees who like to hear themselves talk.

Be prepared for a workout and to start sweating profusely for 5 hours of your shift because they turn the Air conditioning off until the store opens at 10. I hated being drenched and hot working in sweat drenched clothes lifting heavy product.

I hope you like working in the dark because they also dim the lights to save pennies on the dollar until store opens at 10. Go figure that products are put in wrong places by employees who can't see product codes in the dark.

You will have many bosses and who one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.Your always struggling where to put product that isn't needed and
  more... product needed that is never ordered.

You will also have the pleasure of listening to the same bogus music and announcements that are played over and over and over again. It will make you insane faster than crazy house

Its was a unstructured Gong show that left me depressed and to quit without notice. It's better you keep this horrid place off your resume. It is a depressing and unhealthy environment to work. I've never felt better for quitting a job in my life.
Pros
Free pop when available
Cons
Phoney uncaring management
Fantastic, even as an associate
Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
I don't think I have ever worked in a place that I enjoy so much. IKEA really checks off all the boxes to keep their employees happy.Their compensation packages are phenomenal and can support a parent. The pay is not something to complain about either. It's fairly decent and you get opportunities and changes to advance or gain a pay raise. Management is fantastic, they are thorough and try their best to accommodate their employees. Their HR practices are very good and make you feel safe in your job. The atmosphere is also great, it is positive, reinforcing and supportive.

What I've learned:
As my education background is in HR, I truly admire their practices in IKEA and their business models. I've learned what makes employees happy and what is considered fair and how to apply them.

The hardest part:
The hardest part in a retail industry will always be customers. Other than that there isn't much to complain about.

The job is straightforward, you complete your daily tasks and touch base with your manager, assistant manager, supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Great upper management, subsidized lunches
Cons
customers
Good
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
Working at Ikea was good because I was traveling a lot and met a lot of new people. Management was lenient and respectful and I enjoyed this experience.
A fast paced environment that emphasizes teamwork
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 August 2016
A typical day working with the IKEA replenishment team requires fast thinking and problem solving skills along with having the physical ability to quickly do the job. Not only are those the attributes of working in such a place but most importantly teamwork and communication is the main priority when it comes to getting the job done in a complete and timely manner. Management in this department are seen as just like any other fellow co-worker, they are there on the floor supporting every co-worker on duty. Co-workers in the replenishment department work hard and are very supportive as well because like i said before, teamwork is key. The hardest part of the job is waking really early in the mornings and finding the energy to do the heavy lifting but once past that the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the friendly people that emphasize cooperation and maintaining the IKEA culture.
Pros
Free food and comfortable co-worker lunchroom
Cons
minimal hours
Terrible experience
Check out services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
I did not enjoy working here at all. Some of the associates were awesome. The managers had fake attitudes. They gossiped about you instead of telling you what you were doing wrong. I felt uncomfortable and miserable there and would often come home feeling depressed. Not to mention they cut my hrs severely. Their excuse was, they thought I was going back to school. I knew that was a lie. I never wanna go there again
Pros
Awesome coworkers and discounts
Cons
Management, short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.