IKEA Employee Reviews

One of the highlights during my time at IKEA was Traveling to Sweden and working on the Canadian Catalogue Pricing and ordering.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond BC21 January 2015
I held a number of positions and loved all the benefits/learning that came along with every job I held.
I got to learn so much and had so many opportunities to share/teach what I leaned.
I had a lot of responsibility but I also had so much freedom to use my responsibility as I saw fit, in order to grow my team and the business, thus making a positive contribution to the bottom line and the quality of life for the co-worker.
I built so many great relationships with employees and customers, many that I still keep in touch with today.
It was a great company to work for and I truly enjoyed my time at IKEA.
After so many years with the company it was time to try something new. even thought I miss so many parts of my career at IKEA, if I hadn't taken the step to leave I would have missed to many great things that have happened in my life since I left.
To a new chapter in a forever changing world.
Pros
All the people I met and the traveling.
Cons
The company is loosing some of it s culture.
Dishwasher
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  1311 102 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1M319 July 2016
A typical day was hot inside a small room filled with hot water and steam. I learned about how to properly clean dishes, stack dishes and put dishes away. My manager's were accomidating and understanding. My co-workers were talkitive and would always joke about the heat. The hardest part about working at Ikea was trying to keep the water out of my shoes. The most enjoyable part was the environment and the free lunches/ dinners.
Team work
worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 June 2016
The team work at IKEA with the co worker is very appreciable. All the co worker are very helpful and the management is good too
Very organize and clean environment
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2014
-Very busy especially on summer however i had fun working there and meet new nice people
- Increased my confidence talking to other people, more attentive to customers, do not waste time, always on time,
- The management in IKEA are very nice they are very organized and they treat their employees equally
- The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and you're all by yourself, however i did it by myself
- The most enjoyable part of the job is when meeting new people, and counting your own tray
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Long hours and very busy
Great place to be a coop student
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON9 January 2016
Although I have only "worked" at Ikea as a cooperative education student for high school, I would gladly work here more. Not only were Ikea's coworkers were welcoming but they were also very fun to be around. Despite being in just the Recovery department (the As-Is section to most), I personally enjoyed building the furniture and learning how to put together new products when they came in. Management and supervisors were really fun to be around as they do let loose quite bit while being serious on the job which basically means you won't have to worry about hating your boss.
Cons
When a customer shows up to ask a question it lowers productivity
Good Prices/Nice Co Workers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 June 2015
I worked for Ikea for about four years. When I first worked their it was great. It was fun and the employees were treated great. Ikea lost their HR manager and it all went down hill from their. I stayed because of the hours I got and I was able to take my kids to and from school. I had one manager that was great when I started and understood about Job Work/Life Balance. However, the good ones often leave and she did.

Management changed and I stayed as long as I needed to. I even tried a few different areas. I appreciated the great hours at the beginning and a great HR manager. It seems for me it is always about poor management and micromanaging. I am the kind of person that likes to be given a job and left to do it. I could do this for the most part as a cashier. I really enjoyed the customers and loved going the extra mile. I enjoy learning from other people!

The hardest part of the job were the managers in the cash office. That is all I have to say about that!
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Poor management
Ideal workplace, great experience
Carts and CarryOut (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg12 May 2015
I worked at IKEA for just under a year, but I wish that circumstances allowed me to stay longer. A great corporate culture (a little cult-like, but still) of investing in the employee experience made a great work environment. Management was friendly and helpful, as were co-workers. A lot is expected of you on shift, but breaks are all but enforced and work-life balance encouraged.
A welcoming and fun environment
Sales Associate / Builder (Former Employee) –  North York, ON28 January 2016
I had truly a good time at IKEA and like how management included people in the day-to-day operation of the store. They constantly trained staff in ways to improve providing services. If you needed assistance, they were willing to help in anyway they can, I loved their accommodating ways. It's a great place to work, but wished they hired more full-time people and the pay was better, I would have stayed otherwise. Great employer, if you find a good opportunity to work there, head right over.
Pros
Flexible schedules, Employee Discount
Cons
Constantly on your feet
Extremely friendly and down to earth enviroment
Sales Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2016
IKEA is an awesome place to work. Everyone is very friendly and no one hesitates to help when you need it. The management makes huge efforts to know each co-worker and acknowledges your achievements. Ive learned plenty about sales and marketing in a very fun and comfortable way. Some areas are very fast paced and some can be slow.It is important that you know what you prefer.
Pros
co-worker cafeteria, lounge area
Cons
Hard to get more hours
Decent work environment but poor management and lack of opprotunity
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2014
The work is simple and pleasant enough however the hours were bad and inconsistent. There is no room for increasing hours or pay consistently unless you are hired as a manager. They do not like to promote from within their organization. Yearly wage increases are either meager or non existent.
Pros
benefits for part time
Cons
no room for advancement, poor management, inconsistent policies
Fast pace envirnment with supportive co workers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 July 2012
Typical day- managing un expected peak alone during weekend
Learned about Ikea culture and hotline activities at restaurant
Management-Is fine. Helpful most of the time
Co worker- mostly helpful and active
Hardest part- managing un expected peak alone sometime during weekend and changing schedules
Enjoyable part- Fast and speed with challenge
Pros
benefits and offers
Cons
non fixed shift patern
delivering the stuff through gta
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 August 2016
it was job with busy schedule and tight deadlines. I learned good communication skills at this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with new customers.
Diverse environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 May 2016
Loved the diversity of this workplace. Amazing co-workers that were extremely kind when I was new. They were very helpful during my training period.
Benefits
Cons
Standing
Great place to work with fun, awesome coworkers.
Checkout Services Cash Administrator (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 February 2013
IKEA is a great place to work. They pay good, comparable wages and offer great benefits after one year of employment. As a cash supervisor a typical work day for me would include opening the store, setting up the cash tills and completing the reconciliation. After these tasks are complete I generally do general clerical duties such as responding to emails, responding to phone messages, investigating and completing credit card chargebacks and faxing the results to the financial company.
The management is great, they are approachable and very friendly. They try to help out and make the job as easy as possible.The coworkers are also great people. Everyone is very friendly and approachable. Everyone is very hardworking and always willing to help out if there is any trouble.
The hardest part of my job would have to be disciplining coworkers. I know that it is part of my job, however, it is always hard to tell someone that they are not performing correctly.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers. I am always talking and helping customers and making sure that their needs are met.
Pros
good wage, great benefits, flexibility
Cons
no career advancement
Great job, Poor management
Logistics (Full Serve) Personnel (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke7 May 2013
IKEA is such a busy place it's really difficult to see the fruits of your labor, especially with the way management is set up.
all the co-workers got a long great and were really supportive both personally and professionally. with a system that was always changing, consistency with goods flow was difficult but manageable. IKEA strives to learn and become more efficient in what they do. it is a very diverse company and despite it's size is doing a great job to be environmentally friendly
Pros
benefits, social outings
Cons
inconsistent hours
I would not have left IKEA if I hadn't got the job with APPLE
Recovery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC6 December 2015
I liked to work in this place just because of the reason that I loved the products they sell and the discount you get as an employee. The management team was absolutely supportive of your work. the biggest thing that turned me off was the unionized employee system which I didn't approve of in my mind, and that which came true 6 months after I left the organization. the Richmond store was on strike for more than 1 year and 10 months which I would say was due to the bad or irresponsible action form the union that was running it.
Pros
Cons
union
Amazing workplace with fun and outgoing staff!
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON8 June 2015
Great place to work with unlimited opportunity for advancement. Great management staff and fun co-workers. Always a good time and the staff feels more like a family culture than co-workers.
Opening the shop in the morning, following up with replenishment staff and rectifying any issues with stock, good flow, tasks for staff daily.
Sales Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 November 2015
Typical Day:

Making sure the shop is ready to greet the customer each day.
Organizing tasks according to priorities for the day.
Finding solutions to goods flow issues in the mornings and making adjustments during peak times, i.e. Sales Events.
Taking over tasks where needed to make things flow smoothly.
Helping coworkers with questions and finding solutions.

What I learned:

Learning to be proactive in a very fast moving environment that changed daily.
I learned that a happy team is more productive.
Clear communication is key to a successful team.
I learned about merchandising and sales steering according to Profit margin ratios and availability of goods.
Customer service and trust building with your customer. Meeting their needs and only promising what you know you can fulfill.
Egos have no place in a team environment. It is about the business and not about an individual's needs but making sure that everyone feels they are making a contribution in some way.

Management:

My Management team works hard to provide the staff with the support needed to run the shop at the highest level possible.
They try to support work/life balance as much as possible.

Coworkers:

The most amazing group of hardworking people I know.
All focused on a common goal.
Positive and dedicated.

Hardest Part of the Job:

Not being able to control everything.
Being proactive all the time is hard when things change so quickly.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:

Helping customers find solutions to their decorating needs and having them leave happy with new
  more... ideas.
Building relationships with Customers.
Working with amazing people everyday.
Pros
People, Work/Life Balance, Benefits
Cons
Shift work, weekends
Understanding workplace
IFS Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2016
A comfortable workplace where individuals look to better themselves and the service they provide.If given an opportunity take the chance and look to find methods to grow your career and experience.
Pros
Co-worker comradery
Cons
limited hours
IKEA is a fantastic company to work for!
Customer Service In Furniture Delivery Department (Current Employee) –  North York, Ontario19 March 2014
The company culture at IKEA is easy-going and friendly. It is easy to get a long with management and the co workers. They make advancement in the workplace an achievable goal. Highly recommended for entry level and senior job seekers.