IKEA Employee Reviews

Great company to develop various competences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 October 2016
1) Good for students to be working part time and manage school/work balance
2) Company that gives a lot of opportunity to grow and to apply to more important positions. Company's visions is clear and easy to apply.
Fun family style workplace
Sales Coworker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2016
-I learned lots about furniture / home decorating
-management can sometimes be a little cliquey but overall ok
-the coworkers I interacted with were awesome
-hardest part of the job was dealing with tricky customers
-most enjoyable part of the job was the perks and staff parties
Pros
staff cafeteria and occaional free lunches
Cons
a lot of walking
Can be grueling or fun, but getting more and more busy
Warehouse Team Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2015
IKEA can be a great place to work. It has great benefits like decent medical benefits, discounts, culture and daily meals for only $4. There is great people to work with, and many ideals within the company. But there are bad parts. The pay is standard with retail work, so logistics gets it low. And the inefficiencies build up to create chaos. Some of the management have been in power for too long and the company will bend over backwards for its customer which can make some abusive to the system. And times have never been busier. The store is at capacity and the talks for expansion make little sense.
Great fun company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 October 2016
Great place to work, met and still have many great friends I met there, weekly hours not great. They don't gaurentee full time hours to PT, but it is possible to pick up shifts. Great as a part time job.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Weekends/hours
Productive, kind and understanding workplace.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 November 2016
Everyone has a smile on there face, and its a nice play to work because you can be yourself without feeling uncomfortable.
Good
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
Working at Ikea was good because I was traveling a lot and met a lot of new people. Management was lenient and respectful and I enjoyed this experience.
Productive and fun workplace
Aftersales Resolutions Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 January 2017
Productive and fun workplace.....Team leaders and managers have you best interest at heart.....Coworkers will rally to help you when you are in a crisis
very diverse working environment and big company!
Bedroom Sales (Current Employee) –  montreal, quebec7 July 2015
They teach you what they expect for the company for each different departments and every 3 months, we get info session on emergency and phone codes via intercom during operating hours.

Learn a lot and grow from my experience during my 5 years at this company.

Co-workers are mostly friendly and team players.Working together, we are better!

The hardest job is the customer service area...guess its all the same anywhere and everywhere else for that matter. We have to learn to keep our cool and take it all in. That's how we do it in customer service!!
Pros
100% paid benefits on family insurance
Cons
unstable hours, no guaranteed hours during the year
Dishwasher
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  1311 102 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6N 1M319 July 2016
A typical day was hot inside a small room filled with hot water and steam. I learned about how to properly clean dishes, stack dishes and put dishes away. My manager's were accomidating and understanding. My co-workers were talkitive and would always joke about the heat. The hardest part about working at Ikea was trying to keep the water out of my shoes. The most enjoyable part was the environment and the free lunches/ dinners.
Ikea North York
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
The store I work at is the busiest in the city and one pf the busiest in the country. There is always a lack of coworkers on busy periods and managers make you stay late. The pay is very low for such a huge retailer and the location is hardly accessible.
One of the highlights during my time at IKEA was Traveling to Sweden and working on the Canadian Catalogue Pricing and ordering.
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond BC21 January 2015
I held a number of positions and loved all the benefits/learning that came along with every job I held.
I got to learn so much and had so many opportunities to share/teach what I leaned.
I had a lot of responsibility but I also had so much freedom to use my responsibility as I saw fit, in order to grow my team and the business, thus making a positive contribution to the bottom line and the quality of life for the co-worker.
I built so many great relationships with employees and customers, many that I still keep in touch with today.
It was a great company to work for and I truly enjoyed my time at IKEA.
After so many years with the company it was time to try something new. even thought I miss so many parts of my career at IKEA, if I hadn't taken the step to leave I would have missed to many great things that have happened in my life since I left.
To a new chapter in a forever changing world.
Pros
All the people I met and the traveling.
Cons
The company is loosing some of it s culture.
Very organize and clean environment
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2014
-Very busy especially on summer however i had fun working there and meet new nice people
- Increased my confidence talking to other people, more attentive to customers, do not waste time, always on time,
- The management in IKEA are very nice they are very organized and they treat their employees equally
- The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and you're all by yourself, however i did it by myself
- The most enjoyable part of the job is when meeting new people, and counting your own tray
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Long hours and very busy
Great and comfortable work environment
Returns Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON1 June 2016
IKEA is a great company to work for. The management is very inviting and is easy to learn how it works. It is great to interact with customers and overall a wonderful team of co-workers.
Both heavy and light lifting
Mover (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2015
Well I'm a mover in this company and love to do this job because this job is moving from one place to another. Moreover, it was a customer service job.
Pros
Work in an open world and good salary.
Cons
Traffic problems
Excellent work culture, friendly co-workers
Sales & Customer service, IT Server Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 March 2016
Students best place to start your career
Co-operative environment and improve your skills
Friendly management to share your thoughts
Opening the shop in the morning, following up with replenishment staff and rectifying any issues with stock, good flow, tasks for staff daily.
Sales Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 November 2015
Typical Day:

Making sure the shop is ready to greet the customer each day.
Organizing tasks according to priorities for the day.
Finding solutions to goods flow issues in the mornings and making adjustments during peak times, i.e. Sales Events.
Taking over tasks where needed to make things flow smoothly.
Helping coworkers with questions and finding solutions.

What I learned:

Learning to be proactive in a very fast moving environment that changed daily.
I learned that a happy team is more productive.
Clear communication is key to a successful team.
I learned about merchandising and sales steering according to Profit margin ratios and availability of goods.
Customer service and trust building with your customer. Meeting their needs and only promising what you know you can fulfill.
Egos have no place in a team environment. It is about the business and not about an individual's needs but making sure that everyone feels they are making a contribution in some way.

Management:

My Management team works hard to provide the staff with the support needed to run the shop at the highest level possible.
They try to support work/life balance as much as possible.

Coworkers:

The most amazing group of hardworking people I know.
All focused on a common goal.
Positive and dedicated.

Hardest Part of the Job:

Not being able to control everything.
Being proactive all the time is hard when things change so quickly.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:

Helping customers find solutions to their decorating needs and having them leave happy with new
  more... ideas.
Building relationships with Customers.
Working with amazing people everyday.
Pros
People, Work/Life Balance, Benefits
Cons
Shift work, weekends
Great job, Poor management
Logistics (Full Serve) Personnel (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke7 May 2013
IKEA is such a busy place it's really difficult to see the fruits of your labor, especially with the way management is set up.
all the co-workers got a long great and were really supportive both personally and professionally. with a system that was always changing, consistency with goods flow was difficult but manageable. IKEA strives to learn and become more efficient in what they do. it is a very diverse company and despite it's size is doing a great job to be environmentally friendly
Pros
benefits, social outings
Cons
inconsistent hours
Don't appreciate you in the long run.
Recovery Associate/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 October 2015
Good pay and great benefits..... HR is a different story. Some half decent managers but a few should not be at all. Great hours having weekends off and having a 15%discount on purchases was not bad as well.
delivering the stuff through gta
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 August 2016
it was job with busy schedule and tight deadlines. I learned good communication skills at this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with new customers.
Horrid place to work! Depressing environment.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2016
When I started here I was 110% enthusiastic in making it work. By the end I was broken down faster than their furniture and I only lasted a little longer than 6 months.

Myself and an other guy were hired at same time and he just quit without notice in less than three months.

They preach Ikea propaganda they don't back up or stand behind. You will have every employee as your boss knit picking and watching your every move.

Most all employees in area I worked were emotionless Zombies with chips on their shoulders. Very clicky group of miserable acting people not happy with their job. Every morning I heard screaming and yelling profanity at each from drivers on the dock.

Jump start meetings every morning that are useless dribble with useless information on how many trailers you have to work that day. After a while you will just hear blah blah blah. Wasted time and brain numbing verbal garbage from power tripping employees who like to hear themselves talk.

Be prepared for a workout and to start sweating profusely for 5 hours of your shift because they turn the Air conditioning off until the store opens at 10. I hated being drenched and hot working in sweat drenched clothes lifting heavy product.

I hope you like working in the dark because they also dim the lights to save pennies on the dollar until store opens at 10. Go figure that products are put in wrong places by employees who can't see product codes in the dark.

You will have many bosses and who one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.Your always struggling where to put product that isn't needed and
  more... product needed that is never ordered.

You will also have the pleasure of listening to the same bogus music and announcements that are played over and over and over again. It will make you insane faster than crazy house

Its was a unstructured Gong show that left me depressed and to quit without notice. It's better you keep this horrid place off your resume. It is a depressing and unhealthy environment to work. I've never felt better for quitting a job in my life.
Pros
Free pop when available
Cons
Phoney uncaring management