IKEA Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to be a coop student
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Although I have only "worked" at Ikea as a cooperative education student for high school, I would gladly work here more. Not only were Ikea's coworkers were welcoming but they were also very fun to be around. Despite being in just the Recovery department (the As-Is section to most), I personally enjoyed building the furniture and learning how to put together new products when they came in. Management and supervisors were really fun to be around as they do let loose quite bit while being serious on the job which basically means you won't have to worry about hating your boss.
Cons
When a customer shows up to ask a question it lowers productivity
Very friendly work environment and simple.
Restocking, handling merchandises and sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2016
Coworkers are pretty nice and friendly. Management can be pretty clique.

Work is pretty steady and easy until rush hour hits but very manageable.

Hardest part of the job is probably on a really busy day things can get hectic.
Pros
Lunches are cheap, steady work to get by the day
Cons
pretty bad shifts at times
Outstanding Company to work for
Office Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 14, 2015
A tropical day at work was busy, fast pace environment totally enjoyed it. I learned about different office proceedures, management was outstanding, co-workers were helpful, hardest part of the job was understanding the IKEA way of running a business, very interesting way. Most enjoyable part of the job was the environment was clean, enjoyable.
Pros
10% off merchandise! friendly staff.
Cons
Only part time work
Fun and Enjoyable company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ONDecember 8, 2015
I love working at Ikea because of its diversity of employees.

Everyday is different. Full of challenges due to the variety of people that shops there.

Management is amazing to its employees and work ethic is strong.
I would not have left IKEA if I hadn't got the job with APPLE
Recovery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 6, 2015
I liked to work in this place just because of the reason that I loved the products they sell and the discount you get as an employee. The management team was absolutely supportive of your work. the biggest thing that turned me off was the unionized employee system which I didn't approve of in my mind, and that which came true 6 months after I left the organization. the Richmond store was on strike for more than 1 year and 10 months which I would say was due to the bad or irresponsible action form the union that was running it.
Pros
Cons
union
Opening the shop in the morning, following up with replenishment staff and rectifying any issues with stock, good flow, tasks for staff daily.
Sales Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCNovember 25, 2015
Typical Day:

Making sure the shop is ready to greet the customer each day.
Organizing tasks according to priorities for the day.
Finding solutions to goods flow issues in the mornings and making adjustments during peak times, i.e. Sales Events.
Taking over tasks where needed to make things flow smoothly.
Helping coworkers with questions and finding solutions.

What I learned:

Learning to be proactive in a very fast moving environment that changed daily.
I learned that a happy team is more productive.
Clear communication is key to a successful team.
I learned about merchandising and sales steering according to Profit margin ratios and availability of goods.
Customer service and trust building with your customer. Meeting their needs and only promising what you know you can fulfill.
Egos have no place in a team environment. It is about the business and not about an individual's needs but making sure that everyone feels they are making a contribution in some way.

Management:

My Management team works hard to provide the staff with the support needed to run the shop at the highest level possible.
They try to support work/life balance as much as possible.

Coworkers:

The most amazing group of hardworking people I know.
All focused on a common goal.
Positive and dedicated.

Hardest Part of the Job:

Not being able to control everything.
Being proactive all the time is hard when things change so quickly.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:

Helping customers find solutions to their decorating needs and having them leave happy with new
  more... ideas.
Building relationships with Customers.
Working with amazing people everyday.
Pros
People, Work/Life Balance, Benefits
Cons
Shift work, weekends
greatplace too work
Temp Position-Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
i worked in the warehouse as a order picker.
put stock awaywhen skids came in the night before.
i learnt more skills on being a order picker witch was good.
the ikea group are a great group of people too work with.
my boss was good too me tought me new things every day.
Pros
great people too work with
Cons
was only temp wish i could of staied.
An enjoyable experience
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 4, 2015
I was blessed enough to have a very hard working boss. He taught me hands on and made sure I got things right. My job was easy to mess up so I stayed focused with his assistance.
Pros
the cafeteria hotdogs :)
Cons
bus route
Good enough
Logistics Coworker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 23, 2015
IKEA Canada is as good a place to work as any other warehouse or customer service company. I can not comment on the food service portion, because I did not work in that department. The wages are not industry standard, whatever they might claim, but they are not horrible either.
Pros
subsidised staff lunches and 15% Employee discount.
Cons
I am legally obligated to represent IKEA in the best possible way.
IKEA
Ikea line cook (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCOctober 20, 2015
a typical day at work consists of dealing over hundreds of customers a day and as a line cook I must prepare food on time for hundreds of customers. Its a very clean environment and must be well groomed.
Both heavy and light lifting
Mover (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2015
Well I'm a mover in this company and love to do this job because this job is moving from one place to another. Moreover, it was a customer service job.
Pros
Work in an open world and good salary.
Cons
Traffic problems
Excellent Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ONOctober 16, 2015
Once a customer at IKEA was at the self checkout lane. they tried to conceal without paying for the items I observed and approached very professionally. In a such manner I notified the customer that they have missed few items. I made sure they paid the items without offending the customer. this was reported to manager and was appreciated my IKEA for making sure there was no loss to the company.
Great part time job during high school.
Full Serve Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaOctober 14, 2015
Easily the friendliest place in Calgary!
IKEA is a great company with fun & happy coworkers.
it felt like i was part of a team that cared foe each other.
The management was filled of smart caring individuals that understood the importance of schooling.
Pros
coworkers / the pay / the flexibility
Fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2015
amazing work environment, good people, lost of learning, great policy's. Understanding their customers and fulfilling their needs and wants.
Pros
flexible
Don't appreciate you in the long run.
Recovery Associate/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONOctober 10, 2015
Good pay and great benefits..... HR is a different story. Some half decent managers but a few should not be at all. Great hours having weekends off and having a 15%discount on purchases was not bad as well.
very good experience
Dishwasher, part-time (Former Employee) –  edmontonSeptember 30, 2015
learning new things,, good experience
i was learning stuff that would help me in the future
it was a full time job
it was also a challenge at some point
Great people to work with, good wages, good job culture
Customer service and retail merchandizing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Still have friends from IKEA to this day, fun place to work, great job culture, great employee discount, great shopping
Pros
free coffee, shopping discount
Cons
your spend most of your wages on their great merchandise
Fun work place with many social events
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  9090 cavendishSeptember 9, 2015
The morning started with a meeting before phone lines opened up. Our call center was the main call center responsible for all 12 stores across Canada. In customer service we received many calls from store hours, to if item was still in stock. Our resolution department it was for delivery inquiries to missing items from delivery and item being received damaged, etc.
Pros
friendly environment with a fully stock kitchen
Cons
management was changing and leaving groups with no teamleaders
Organized and well managed
Mechanical/ Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2015
A fun place to work. New and interesting things daily. Friendly staff. Employee discounts. Pleasing environment for the customers. Cleanliness was tops.
Flexible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 31, 2015
Flexible. Great co workers who make the job enjoyable. Gets extremely busy at times which is the hardest part of the job. Management is not too bad. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet. Everyday I was interacting with people from different walks of the life which was always interesting.