IKEA Employee Reviews

Fantastic, even as an associate
Co-Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
I don't think I have ever worked in a place that I enjoy so much. IKEA really checks off all the boxes to keep their employees happy.Their compensation packages are phenomenal and can support a parent. The pay is not something to complain about either. It's fairly decent and you get opportunities and changes to advance or gain a pay raise. Management is fantastic, they are thorough and try their best to accommodate their employees. Their HR practices are very good and make you feel safe in your job. The atmosphere is also great, it is positive, reinforcing and supportive.

What I've learned:
As my education background is in HR, I truly admire their practices in IKEA and their business models. I've learned what makes employees happy and what is considered fair and how to apply them.

The hardest part:
The hardest part in a retail industry will always be customers. Other than that there isn't much to complain about.

The job is straightforward, you complete your daily tasks and touch base with your manager, assistant manager, supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
Great upper management, subsidized lunches
Cons
customers
Inclusive & inspiring business culture
SALES COWORKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2016
A typical day at work would most likely take place on the sales floor, and consist of communicating product and safety knowledge with customers. This would include providing an understanding of product use, designing furniture systems within the IKEA range to suit the customers needs, and ensuring a level of quality satisfaction. In many seperate instances, I could also be found constructing IKEA furniture for Showroom display, leading sales training intiatives, creating sales graphics, and leading charitable promotions. The workplace was always fun and occasionally challenging which creates a very satisfying retail environment to be apart of.
Pros
Great Coworkers, Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexibility around school
Opinion
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2016
A typical day at work is usually busy in the weekends. What I learned is that Ikea is a great company to work with because it provides good benefits. The co-workers I work with are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get complimented by the customers with my work ethic and also my good customer service.
Pros
benefits for part- time
Cons
having to stand up for long period
productive place
Cart Attendant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 July 2016
The company has a good review. My coworkers are easy and fun to be with. The management is being helpful. I learn to be patient and to multitask.
Pros
Dental and medical benefits
Cons
Short hours
Employees have better working condition then managers!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 March 2016
Very good job security. If you do the minimum, you're sure to never get fired!
Unfortunetly, the company doesn't react very efficiently to market fluctuations due to it's size (multinational).
Pay and benefits are very good but if you compare mangement to employees, the difference is not worth being a manager. 1$ difference between a team support and a manager.
Full-Serve Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 March 2016
Great company to work for, great benefits package. Interaction with customers and the coworkers is the most pleasurable. Company operates with a great business model, which is outlined and supported fully by store management.
Benefits
Cons
Business hours
Diverse environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 May 2016
Loved the diversity of this workplace. Amazing co-workers that were extremely kind when I was new. They were very helpful during my training period.
Benefits
Cons
Standing
Place That Needs To Show More Respect to their Employees
Self Serve CoWorker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2016
At first the job was alright, understandably I was to go through the learning process before promotion however no matter what I would do to advance through the company it seems like everything that I had done over and above expectations was blown off by managers.

My work schedule has failed to accommodate my life schedule and it feels like I'm only meant to work IKEA without any concern for my life out of work. I'm tired and stressed and unfortunately it has changed my attitude at the work place.

The Coworkers can be from anywhere from friendly and helpful to lazy and uncooperative I feel like the pack mule most of the time at work. Most times I feel as if we are understaffed 9/10 causing more pressure to myself and others on the floor.

All in all IKEA seems to be a decent company but I would seriously reconsider applying to this company. It's not worth it for your sanity unless you are all in for IKEA
Pros
Lunch Discounts
Cons
Irratic Scheduling, Glass Ceiling Promotion, Managers Seem to care but don't
Warehouse Order Picker
Full-Serve Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2016
With my experience with Ikea. Management was not the best. My respinding Managers never ever! communicated. They hired to many people that diminished the hours. We were a "team" of 15 plus 2 managers. 7 people where full-time and the rest were part time. I quit ikea because they really just pushed me away from ikea. I tried to voice my opinion and it was ignored. I will never shop or anything with ikea ever again.
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
Management, wage, discount and advancement.
Great company, great benefits even for part-time
Services Team Support (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON24 February 2016
Ikea is a great company to work for because they really care about employees. Great overall work culture. Co-workers are fun, very helpful. Great lunches too!
Pros
great benefits/bonus program
Cons
customers
Very good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2016
IKEA provides staff with an amazing work environment. They are very flexible with schedules as they believe in work-life balance. The pay is competitive and the benefits are excellent.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Limited space
Terrible experience
Check out services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
I did not enjoy working here at all. Some of the associates were awesome. The managers had fake attitudes. They gossiped about you instead of telling you what you were doing wrong. I felt uncomfortable and miserable there and would often come home feeling depressed. Not to mention they cut my hrs severely. Their excuse was, they thought I was going back to school. I knew that was a lie. I never wanna go there again
Pros
Awesome coworkers and discounts
Cons
Management, short hours
Horrible delivery counter managers
Delivery counter (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC21 September 2016
The bosses who work at the delivery counter suck. They are so rude to the employees and walk around like they know everything!!! One in particular i have lots of hateful words for her. She makes coming into work horrible. Do yourself a favor if you work for ikea dont work by the delivery counter you'll regret every minute of it
Pros
Ikea discount on food and drivers are funny
Fast paced work
part time Kitchen worker and server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 December 2016
A typical day at work would entail a different role. Each time. I worked in the back of the kitchen handling dishes, cleaning tables as well as serving of hot meals to IKEA customers. A challenge I sometimes faced would be the fast paced shifts would become so busy leading us to become a bit organised. I feel I used my problem solving skills and communication skills to discuss with fellow co workers about what needed to be done. Over all I would say the experience taught me perseverance and I would work there again.
Great Company
Kitchen Planner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2016
Very good company , well managed , long hours
middle management needs more training
fun atmosphere , friendly co workers
Pros
free lunched
Fun family style workplace
Sales Coworker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2016
-I learned lots about furniture / home decorating
-management can sometimes be a little cliquey but overall ok
-the coworkers I interacted with were awesome
-hardest part of the job was dealing with tricky customers
-most enjoyable part of the job was the perks and staff parties
Pros
staff cafeteria and occaional free lunches
Cons
a lot of walking
Overall, a stable place to work.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2016
I was not happy with the amount of hours I was given, as I had to juggle my hours with work and school. Sometimes, I would just have too much work to handle for a working student.
Can be grueling or fun, but getting more and more busy
Warehouse Team Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2015
IKEA can be a great place to work. It has great benefits like decent medical benefits, discounts, culture and daily meals for only $4. There is great people to work with, and many ideals within the company. But there are bad parts. The pay is standard with retail work, so logistics gets it low. And the inefficiencies build up to create chaos. Some of the management have been in power for too long and the company will bend over backwards for its customer which can make some abusive to the system. And times have never been busier. The store is at capacity and the talks for expansion make little sense.
Great company to develop various competences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 October 2016
1) Good for students to be working part time and manage school/work balance
2) Company that gives a lot of opportunity to grow and to apply to more important positions. Company's visions is clear and easy to apply.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 December 2016
I had fun working there, nice ambiance and great people! They are all social persons, great with customers in every departments. The managers are very nice, they like helping us in getting to know the system. Perhaps, they are very strict about everything.
Pros
When there was a rush we had free lunch